Devs please. Poe in NOT the problem. The problem is the total ineffectiveness of Defense.

Prev13
meanpride
90 posts Member
edited February 2016
i find Poe to be a well designed and balanced toon. He is only regarded as overpowered because he effectively guards glass cannons that can one shot even Barris "20k HP" Offee.

That should not happen. Armor and resistance should have a stronger effect in damage reduction. Because of this, almost all "Defensive" heroes are irrelevant and Offense will always win in PVP.

If the devs take the easy route and just nerf Poe to the ground, the meta will not change. It will still be whose team can deal the most damage the fastest.

Replies

• Options
    Lets use two examples of a flat defense to illustrate the problem. These numbers are for example only but will highlight the issue.

1st Lvl Tank - with 20 defense vrs a 1st lvl attacker who routinely does 100 dmg before crit. In this example the defense percentage for the tank is roughly 20%. This is great for the tank!

70th LvL Tank - with a whopping 300 Defense vrs a 70th lvl attacker who routinely does 4000 dmg before crit. In this example the defense percentage for the tank is roughly 7.5%. This is pretty bad compared to his 1st lvl percentage. We would expect a higher LvL tank to absorb more damage as he lvled up, not less.

In this example the same tank would need 800 defense to stay in line with his original 1st LvL percentage! And more if he was to become "More Tanky" as he Lvled.
    So what does this mean? All you have to do is take a look at the current meta and you can see how this translates into the game.

Every character ATM is currently an "Attacker". There are no "defenders" there are just Attackers, Attackers that can heal, Attackers that can Taunt, Attackers than can buff Ect.This is exactly why only a few characters are used in the end game meta, because they are the better "Attacker" compared to another "Attacker".

I will use two examples to illustrate this point.

Attacker who can heal one
    - Barris, Who we will say for this example hits for 800 dmg routinely. But has a defense 150

Attacker who can heal two - Lum, who we will say routinely hits for this example 1600 dmg. But has a defense 90

Knowing full well how the current defense mechanic works, which are you going to choose? The better attacker is the answer in almost every single end game team currently.

So I leave you all with the question!
    if our barris example as a support was vrs the same 4,000 dmg attacker and had 600 defense aka 15% defense.

If our lum example as a attacker was vrs the same 4,000 dmg attacker and had 150 defense aka 3.75% defense.

Would that change the meta?

All numbers in these examples are not based on anything other then numbers I pulled out of a hat. However they should be used for the purpose they were intended to illustrate how SWGoH Defense currently works.
  • Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    Options
    I agree.
    If defense/armor works like it looks it does, it's waaaaaaay to low to matter. Strongest chars have defense around 250. Lowest have around 60. That's 190 damage in difference. With highest damaging toons doing damage closervabd closer to 10k in crits, (counting Poggle and stuff), it's pointless. It doesn't matter if you sre hit by 9750 or 9560. The rest of abilities (in particular, damage or speed) matter more.

Even worse, armor piercing. If it works as it seems (reduce the armor), current level are pointless, and work just as a way to fill the screen with useless data. Chars do around 3000 damage, have 150 armor, and 20 armor piercing. That's exactly like doing 3020 damage, in all circunstances.

Maybe it works, or is supposed to work, in a different way. But there's no way for us to know, as the game is a black box
  • Options
    Defense up and armor penetration are pretty much useless which is unfortunate. A defensive revamp would go a long way to balance the current high damage issues and eliminate the rampant calls for nerfing certain characters. Check out the stats page of http://www.swgohcantina.com/character-max-stats/ To see why armor/resistance gets the shaft again in terms of when they get calculated into damage mitigation.
  • Lokai
    379 posts Member
    Options
    IF "tanky" characters actually had a NOTICABLE damage reduction maybe i'd actually use them over the "attack" characters but as it stands the only characters you want/need are high speed characters that do good damage and synergize to increase speed/damage. the only TANKS aren't really tanks in that they can survive anything, they just take all the heat for a short duration then faceplant for the team.

can we please make defense stats meaningful? the small numbers are literally meaningless in the current state of the game.
  • J7000
    2059 posts Member
    Options
    Defense up and armor penetration are pretty much useless which is unfortunate. A defensive revamp would go a long way to balance the current high damage issues and eliminate the rampant calls for nerfing certain characters. Check out the stats page of http://www.swgohcantina.com/character-max-stats/ To see why armor/resistance gets the shaft again in terms of when they get calculated into damage mitigation.

If this is how they fix the current meta, expect tanks to be the next meta. Healing will also be very powerful and maybe stuns/control. Not saying that's a bad thing but matches will be a bit longer.
  • Options
    We don't really know how the Defense stat works. Through practical experience it seems pretty useless, I agree with you completely on that point.

It would be nice if we knew how the stats interacted with eachother, though.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    A dev on the reddit replied to a thread on defense saying they intend it to work the way it is now and "all our combat mechanics are working the way they are so that we can build on them and introduce new functionality that gives you guys something awesome."
    Boggle.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Options
    Qeltar wrote: »
    A dev on the reddit replied to a thread on defense saying they intend it to work the way it is now and "all our combat mechanics are working the way they are so that we can build on them and introduce new functionality that gives you guys something awesome."
    Boggle.

I work with a lot of salesmen. I recognize that dialect *wry smirk*.
  • Lokai
    379 posts Member
    Options
    i'd actually prefer that combat did take longer. I feel little satisfaction in one shotting characters when/if I happen to get the RNG to allow my team to start acting before my enemies team. As it stands literally the combats are coming down to who's poe goes first.....period. Yes there is some RNG so that it isn't ALWAYS 100% the case that first poe activation results in that poe's team winning but it is pretty darn close to always. I have seen some teams with Poe that were.....er.....suboptimal is to put it mildly, but the teams that I see that are pretty much always determined by First Poe activation are comprised of teams with Poe+FOTP+Ben+2 other what ever your flavor is. I'd be perfectly happy having to slug it out abit for a few rounds for someone to get an upperhand, but when it literally comes down to the RNG of who's poe goes first? seriously? what kinds of strategy is there to the game at this point? I'd much rather be able to field what I want to field flavor wise and stand a chance if i'm geared/synergized somewhat. Kinda sucks having to match the particular arsenal of other teams to have a chance assuming you get the RNG of first activation.
  • Options
    If defense out paced offense, the game would never end.

The problem is not all the characters. The problem is the characters dealing enormous amounts of damage. Rey, QGJ, Geonosian Soldier, Leia, and FOTP deal way more damage, have higher survivability, and faster than most attackers.
  • Options
    Yeah, it does seem like defense is pretty non existent compared to the attacking. I don't think it should match offense but it should be a bit boosted. As it is now, you seem to basically have to dodge in order to not take big damage.
  • Options
    Lokai wrote: »
    IF "tanky" characters actually had a NOTICABLE damage reduction maybe i'd actually use them over the "attack" characters but as it stands the only characters you want/need are high speed characters that do good damage and synergize to increase speed/damage. the only TANKS aren't really tanks in that they can survive anything, they just take all the heat for a short duration then faceplant for the team.

can we please make defense stats meaningful? the small numbers are literally meaningless in the current state of the game.

This
  • Lokai
    379 posts Member
    Options
    pay2win wrote: »
    If defense out paced offense, the game would never end.

The problem is not all the characters. The problem is the characters dealing enormous amounts of damage. Rey, QGJ, Geonosian Soldier, Leia, and FOTP deal way more damage, have higher survivability, and faster than most attackers.

and who said it should out pace damage? At present it is a meaningless stat. Do I think certain characters ALSO do too much damage? yes I do but I also think defense stats with the exception of Sillious's insane evade bonus against jedi are all next to meaningless.
  • Options
    Running standard droid team with Poe (I know I know), and I'm trying to work out the turn meters.

Enemy sid and dooku went first, uderstandable plus my poe is missing a couple pieces. Then my poe and Poggle go. Now I expect 88 and 86 to go before the rest of their team, maybe hk as well depending on how geared their team is (remainder of the being lum/jc/han). My 88 goes, crits the entire team, but rather than go again or one of my other toons go, the rest of his team goes. That's with Poe reduction,poggle buff, and hk buff on 88. My droids are maxed, what gives?
  • Options
    only get high speed characters so you don't have to try very hard its the way to go ;) #Cookiecutternation
  • Options
    Camalus wrote: »
    only get high speed characters so you don't have to try very hard its the way to go ;) #Cookiecutternation

Well mean I'm running poe droid team I can't get more cookie cutter than that!

My math must be off when I look at the speed. Or maybe it's the lack of Poggle's buff taking effect on the turn (like speed leaders) messing with things, which is frustrating.
  • Options
    No I know it was purely sarcastic ;)
  • Options
    Just put it on "Auto" ... the AI is the Poe-shizzle. ;)
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Options
    Whiskey wrote: »
    Camalus wrote: »

Well mean I'm running poe droid team I can't get more cookie cutter than that!

My math must be off when I look at the speed. Or maybe it's the lack of Poggle's buff taking effect on the turn (like speed leaders) messing with things, which is frustrating.

Droids aren't cookie cutter. Because there is so few of them. And peo is the only good tank.
  • Options
    Probably bad rng + Han's unique ability.
  • Rheen
    269 posts Member
    Options
    Whiskey wrote: »
    Running standard droid team with Poe (I know I know), and I'm trying to work out the turn meters.

Enemy sid and dooku went first, uderstandable plus my poe is missing a couple pieces. Then my poe and Poggle go. Now I expect 88 and 86 to go before the rest of their team, maybe hk as well depending on how geared their team is (remainder of the being lum/jc/han). My 88 goes, crits the entire team, but rather than go again or one of my other toons go, the rest of his team goes. That's with Poe reduction,poggle buff, and hk buff on 88. My droids are maxed, what gives?

This might help you understand how turn orders are determined:
    http://www.teaminstinct.net/speed-and-you-a-team-instinct-special/
    Guide to Beating Galactic War from Team Instinct
    TeamInstinct.net -- Community Site and Home to Team Instinct
  • Options
    Yeah it's a lets pile up as many heavy hitters and see who's Poe goes first. I keep hoping one day there will be protection chars that offer dmg reduction or skills that can save a char from being spiked.
  • Options
    Natok205 wrote: »
    Yeah it's a lets pile up as many heavy hitters and see who's Poe goes first. I keep hoping one day there will be protection chars that offer dmg reduction or skills that can save a char from being spiked.

Defense Up will be great if only Armor and resistance scaled as high as damage.
  • Options
    Also think pvp should be rating based, win/loss record means nothing. Doing bad? Refresh attacks and attack higher ranks with reckless abandon till RNG is in your favor. If losses had a negative effect it might bring the need for more strategy. Right now being no 1 is fleeting and meaningless, guy with tons of losses and grossly negative win/loss ratio has a good shot of just sniping and refreshing. I feel like getting to top of pvp shouldn't be such a joke.
  • Options
    Forget armor.

Damage reduction 40-60% for two turns.
  • MrMeow
    4 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Hey all, I'm MrMeow and it is very nice to meet y'all. I have been lurking on the forums for quite awhile now and so this is my first post, be nice! :)

As we all know, there has been a huge outcry for Poe Dameron to be nerfed and this is due to his ability to taunt, Expose and most importantly, reduce the turn meters of his opponents. Coupled with him having such a high speed stat, high level play is usually decided based on a coin flip; 'Which Poe shoots first' (AYYYLMAO)

I personally use Poe all the time and I agree that he is quite a powerful toon, but I'd hate to see him nerfed to the ground, it be sad!

So here's my idea, leaving all his main stats intact, rework the Resistance Bravado skill like this:

Resistance Bravado:

0 Resistance allies in team (excluding Poe): Taunt for 2 turns with a 30% chance to Expose all enemies

2 Resistance allies in team (excluding Poe): Taunt for 2 turns with a 50% chance to Expose all enemies

4 Resistance allies in team (excluding Poe): Taunt for 2 turns with a 60% chance to Expose all enemies and reduce opponent turn meters by ?% (let the devs decide, they have the in-game data)

Logic behind this:

Okay okay. I see y'all getting ready to stone me. Hear me out ;)

Encourage team building and usage of faction synergy:

With this rework to Poe's taunt, players have to build their teams wisely! A player can now team Poe up with a full team of DPS toons (FOTP and Leia) and try to knock out opponents using Expose to pack a more powerful punch or team Poe up with a team full of Resistance toons and be able to make use of his powerful turn reduction at the expense of not being able to bring a full team of DPS toons.

No more 'Which Poe shot first':

Unless both players use 'Resistance' teams, without the turn reduction, it will not matter which Poe goes first anymore. Yet, Poe will still be able to Expose enemies which in turn helps him stay useful in bringing some extra damage.

In Conclusion:

I currently only have 1 resistance character, Poe! So I don't benefit from this! I believe that this rework would encourage team building instead of Poe + 4 DPS toons and that Poe would not be a staple anymore, but would become a high potential toon for the Resistance teams out there!

Tell me what you feel about my idea! If you think this is something that could work, tag the devs in it! If you don't, I would like to hear from you too! Lets keep it civil:) Productive discussions are always awesome!

MrMeow
    Post edited by MrMeow on
  • reizse
    1447 posts Member
    Options
    hope you brought a helmet!
    mighty chlorians
  • Options
    Seems fine. Even if the other Poe goes first you should be able to properly retaliate faster instead of being slowed down like it is now.

And by 2 resistance allies, do you mean 3 total? So 2 others along with Poe? I like your whole idea in general, this way they don't nerf his speed into the ground making him doo doo.
  • MrMeow
    4 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @TavenRendar yes yes! 2 allies excluding Poe! I'll change the post to make it clearer. :)
  • Options
    This is an awesome idea! I like your creativity in coming up with it. This definitely solves the Poe problem while also encouraging Resistance synergies. It would be awesome if @EA_Jesse @CG_JohnSalera checked this out.