New Tournaments

I know this is probably still far out, but I'd like to start a discussion with the community about what we would like to see.

First lets talk about the format which was a big point of why I think they didn't work and that was allowing refreshes which just made them a spending war instead of a skill challenge.

I feel when tournaments come back they should function similar to GW where you keep getting matched with stronger and stronger teams and you see how far you can get like a tower challenge. Make it elimination so when you lose characters you can't use them again. This would reward long time, end game players who have many teams allowing them to progress to higher prize tiers while new players would basically be restricted to lower tiers. Also none of those no reward tiers, if it is for shards or blueprints everyone should get say at least 5.

Replies

• Options
    I like that we were divided into brackets, just not how it was done. I understand that they might not be able to use arena shards due to some being more sparse than others due to inactives. Some kind of system that prevents people from being grouped with others that started 2(3?) months or more before they did, which I think was happening to at least some of us at 85.

That being said, sorting everyone in your bracket by power would be cool. They could let you climb your way up the ladder, losing access to any characters that died along the way as you said.
    And a better distribution of rewards is a good point also. 5 shards aren't much but at least it is something towards an unlock.
    @HeWhoWanders
  • Options
    When is the next palp event
  • HeWhoWanders
    155 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    When is the next palp event

OP is unrelated to this thread, but its about 30 days after the Yoda event.
  • Options
    I like that we were divided into brackets, just not how it was done. I understand that they might not be able to use arena shards due to some being more sparse than others due to inactives. Some kind of system that prevents people from being grouped with others that started 2(3?) months or more before they did, which I think was happening to at least some of us at 85.

That being said, sorting everyone in your bracket by power would be cool. They could let you climb your way up the ladder, losing access to any characters that died along the way as you said.
    And a better distribution of rewards is a good point also. 5 shards aren't much but at least it is something towards an unlock.
    @HeWhoWanders

Fortunately I was like 69 when the last tournament happened, but I was already thinking about how unbalanced the 85 bracket must be, between fresh 85's and people with 5 48k squads. Its hard to say how you could bracket them differently. That's why I suggested the format without revives/reuses of characters, since it gives long time players an advantage, which is fine, but doesn't break the tournies with players with unbeatable scores.

5 shards was just a place holder because I believe you could actually not get shards from tournaments if you placed to low, but I can't remember. I would just like to see everyone just get their "participation reward".
  • Dhoey321
    1629 posts Member
    Options
    First things first:

If this is going to be a Tournament it needs to either be best of 5, best of 3 or 1 loss and you're out. This is how tournaments work. This also means there should not be any refreshes whatsoever. (at least for that team)

Now that that's out of the way, if you want this to be a different event and not a Tournament because people think we 'need' refreshes then please call it something other than a tournament.

• Dhoey321
    1629 posts Member
    Options
    Also whatever event they decide to make, please don't force us be spend hours a day playing this 1 event to place high.
  • HeWhoWanders
    155 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Dhoey321 wrote: »
    First things first:

If this is going to be a Tournament it needs to either be best of 5, best of 3 or 1 loss and you're out. This is how tournaments work. This also means there should not be any refreshes whatsoever. (at least for that team)

Now that that's out of the way, if you want this to be a different event and not a Tournament because people think we 'need' refreshes then please call it something other than a tournament.

There is lots of possible types of tournament formats.

Swiss - (My favorite for this game) considers making many small groups and winners go into next parings, etc
    Round-Robin - Everyone can play anyone, or a GW setup where you just keep scaling up to stronger opponents
    Knockout/Strike (Your idea) - Lose three times your done.
    Single/Double Elimination - Lose once/twice your done.

I don't think you could say limit the battles to say three or five because the potential for many, many ties.

I do agree refreshes should not exist, especially since the first format they weren't even attached to any kind of profit generation for CG meaning it was and is a needless feature while also making tournaments unbalanced.

I wouldn't want to be forced to play for hours, but a few additional hours of daily/weekly game play would be nice since I'm starting to find myself running out of things to do daily pretty quickly. This was my favorite part about tournaments.
  • Dhoey321
    1629 posts Member
    Options
    Dhoey321 wrote: »
    First things first:

There is lots of possible types of tournament formats.

Swiss - (My favorite for this game) considers making many small groups and winners go into next parings, etc
    Round-Robin - Everyone can play anyone, or a GW setup where you just keep scaling up to stronger opponents
    Knockout/Strike (You idea) - Lose three times your done.
    Single/Double Elimination - Lose once/twice your done.

I don't think you could say limit the battles to say three or five because the potential for many, many ties.

I do agree refreshes should not exist, especially since the first format they weren't even attached to any kind of profit generation for CG meaning it was and is a needless feature while also making tournaments unbalanced.

I wouldn't want to be forced to play for hours, but a few additional hours of daily/weekly game play would be nice since I'm starting to find myself running out of things to do daily pretty quickly. This was my favorite part about tournaments.

I've only been part of a knockout tournament which i think is best. (mostly because of the refresh issue)

I wrote a discussion of a tournament i thought would be fair if you want to check it out:

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/82455/new-style-tournament-request#latest
  • Options
    Id love to see tournament return. Format doesn't matter to me. I like the chance to earn rate shards and gear. Plus it was nice to have something worth while to do with ally points.