Why Pao as April Log-In is Awesome

Prev1345
Nikoms565
14242 posts Member
1) April is typically a busy month for me, IRL.

2) Pao pretty much stinks in terms of his abilities. After much digging and analysis, most players think he is just like (insert name of mediocre support/attacker here)...only not quite as a good.

Given the above two points, for the first time in 16+ months of playing this game, I won't feel bad if I miss a log in day!!

Thank you EA/CG for making Pao so lame and saving me the effort of caring about logging in every day! :D
In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
*This space left intentionally blank*

Replies

• Georgemi6
    1236 posts Member
    Options
    This guy has a pretty cool kit, but he pretty much has a perfect kit for maybe a rebel chewbacca... I know who this guy is because I'm a nerd n'stuff but he's about as well known as bistan was, so what's the point? If I were to add another rogue one rebel toon it would be bodhi rook, not this guy. But furealtho his kit is perfect for chewie... throw in a taunt and some ham synergy and it couldn't be more perfect... he even has a battle cry thing like chewie. I'm fine with cool alien side characters but c'mon people priorities
  • Athusk
    348 posts Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if I am reading his abilities correctly, but I am not seeing how his abilities are so strong that it requires a 12 turn cooldown.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Options
    He's trash. Theres no way he's not an april fools joke
  • Options
    Ham synergy is always perfect, especially with bacon.
  • Georgemi6
    1236 posts Member
    Options
    Athusk wrote: »
    I'm not sure if I am reading his abilities correctly, but I am not seeing how his abilities are so strong that it requires a 12 turn cooldown.

WAIT WHAT?? Why??? 12 effing turns?????? Even nihilus doesn't have that... and he literally one shots people
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Options
    Georgemi6 wrote: »
    Athusk wrote: »

WAIT WHAT?? Why??? 12 effing turns?????? Even nihilus doesn't have that... and he literally one shots people

thats why hes trash

• Georgemi6
    1236 posts Member
    Options

lol
  • Options
    Other Rebels lower his cooldowns with their attacks ... Read his passive.
  • Athusk
    348 posts Member
    Options
    NinFang wrote: »

Ahh, didn't get to that point haha. It makes a a lot more sense now I suppose.
  • Georgemi6
    1236 posts Member
    Options
    Wait, look at his unique.. if maxed the cool downs reset by one every time a rebel uses a basic attack.. it's cool but the cooldowns are still way too high, even with bonus tm gain
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Options

I did read it. They'll go down to about 6-7 after one round then about 2-3 after the second, but only if you have a full rebel team and you haven't already been slaughtered by the other team's actual squad that uses quality toons.
  • Options
    The important question.

Does Leias Triple shot count as one.. or 3 cooldowns removed.

Because hes be great under a Ackbar lead with Leia.
  • Options
    He's got to be April Fool's ;;;; maybe they'll actually give us a decent character or at least make a poll of 5 candidates and let us vote for which one we want for login ( no way this guy was put in before before other characters people want like jedi luke or jar jar )
    https://swgoh.gg/u/wolffe/

I 7* FOTP without using any energy refreshes, get on my level
  • Loose_Lee
    2733 posts Member
    Options

Whoa whoa whoa... its not really synergy until you and eggs and taters... ham, bacon and sausage is more like "ethnic diversity" than synergy.
  • Gaidal_Cain
    1640 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    As far as his cooldown, it seems he can lower his own cooldown by 3 with his own basic. Assuming he counts as his own ally like most abilities/uniques.

Edit: Also, I think he is intended to be used with Chaze and/or Cassian and K2SO. Counter attacks and assists could literally drop his cooldowns and give him lots of TM.
  • Georgemi6
    1236 posts Member
    Options
    As far as his cooldown, it seems he can lower his own cooldown by 3 with his own basic. Assuming he counts as his own ally like most abilities/uniques.
    I don't think bonus attacks would necessarily count as additional basic attacks... that would
    make ackbar and leia relevant though
  • Options
    DatBoi wrote: »

I did read it. They'll go down to about 6-7 after one round then about 2-3 after the second, but only if you have a full rebel team and you haven't already been slaughtered by the other team's actual squad that uses quality toons.

Nah his kit is amazing if you break it down and really theory craft. You'll see.
  • Vertigo
    4497 posts Member
    Options

I hope thats how it works. Then Leia can do 3 as well. And with an Ackbar lead if he or Leia gets called in that's a pretty good chance to start reducing cooldowns even more.

Also the +5% TM whenever a rebel uses a basic attack is a Zeta according to swgoh.gg.
  • Options
    Was hoping for Saw Gerrera
  • Georgemi6
    1236 posts Member
    Options
    Ig88isboss wrote: »

Nah his kit is amazing if you break it down and really theory craft. You'll see.

I guess I can see it. It's weird but satisfying to see a character with so much simplicity... and by that I mean a toon that doesn't have a small novel for each ability description
  • Options
    Vertigo wrote: »

I hope thats how it works. Then Leia can do 3 as well. And with an Ackbar lead if he or Leia gets called in that's a pretty good chance to start reducing cooldowns even more.

Also the +5% TM whenever a rebel uses a basic attack is a Zeta according to swgoh.gg.

Also, consider him being used with Chaze. With them counterattacking, he will be getting lots of TM and cooldown reduction.
  • Options
    Georgemi6 wrote: »
    Ig88isboss wrote: »

I guess I can see it. It's weird but satisfying to see a character with so much simplicity... and by that I mean a toon that doesn't have a small novel for each ability description

Yea he will need to be in a full rebel squad... I think he'll be solid. +1 about the simple kit. Wish they kept all characters like that.
  • Options
    Another rebel... give it a rest...
  • Options
    Was hoping for Saw Gerrera

Basic attack : inhale oxygen from personal mask ; 75% chance to cause a rebellion in Jedha.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/wolffe/

I 7* FOTP without using any energy refreshes, get on my level
  • Vertigo
    4497 posts Member
    Options

Also, consider him being used with Chaze. With them counterattacking, he will be getting lots of TM and cooldown reduction.

Ackbar (L), Pao, Chirrut, Baze, Leia ?

Seems pretty legit in theory. Try and speed up Pao to make him go first would probably be a great start off for Leia and Chirrut. Ackbar + Chirrut gives you a double cleanse. Leia + Chirrut + Pao for offense (Although Pao's Basic hits for lower than SRP, it can just hit three times at that lower damage. His AOE doesn't seem too powerful, but he's the first rebel that can give offense up to everyone isn't he?
  • Options

Seems pretty legit in theory. Try and speed up Pao to make him go first would probably be a great start off for Leia and Chirrut. Ackbar + Chirrut gives you a double cleanse. Leia + Chirrut + Pao for offense (Although Pao's Basic hits for lower than SRP, it can just hit three times at that lower damage. His AOE doesn't seem too powerful, but he's the first rebel that can give offense up to everyone isn't he?

I was thinking in raids with Leia he'd be a beast.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Options
    I like how people are threatening to boycott the game over the release of phoenix squadron because of "too many rebels", but then CG release some generic rebel with a (terrible) kit that nobody asked for and everyone is bending over backwards figuring out how to use him in their squads.
  • Options

For arena, I was actually thinking Chaze, Cassian, K2, and Pao.

Cassian grants tenacity up at the start of the match which will throw a wrench in the 1st turn zMaul debuff fest.
  • Vertigo
    4497 posts Member
    Options
    I like how people are threatening to boycott the game over the release of phoenix squadron because of "too many rebels", but then CG release some generic rebel with a (terrible) kit that nobody asked for and everyone is bending over backwards figuring out how to use him in their squads.

He's just got an interesting kit really, I'm never one to complain about more characters being added as long as we can actually get and use them. He could potentially have some very good uses with some of the current rebels we have, whereas the Phoenix Squad is basically going to have to be used together which is cool, but kinda annoying as I don't have nearly enough resources to gear that many characters right away. Plus theory crafting is more fun that whining about releases.
  • Georgemi6
    1236 posts Member
    Options

The reason why is because Phoenix squad is a team unit; they only work well together. Pao is a newcomer with no direct character synergies, and lately, any toon that doesn't require a partner or whatever is cool in my book... but pao is still really unecessary