Which of the two are a more effective counter to a Zaul team

WompWompRat
1833 posts Member
edited April 2017
If you had to pick one of the below:

1. A faster Zaul team

2. A Zihilus/DN-led team

The assumption is that both Zaul teams and DN teams are comprised of 4 or 5 Sith

(I didn't mention Rex since I was wondering which of the specific above two would be better if a Rex lead was not an option)

Replies

• Options
    Probably a faster zaul
  • Narseph
    141 posts Member
    Options
    Zihilus led full sith team lacks cleansing imo, assuming you run savage, else you're extremely vulnerable to zaul teams with kylo or Sidious
  • Options
    Currently, the faster Zaul team will almost always win.

In theory, Nihilus should also be an effective counter since he prevents his Sith teammates from critting, which in turn reduces how often his Zaul opponents will stealth/gain TM. In practice, I'm not sure how well this will actually work since no one on my shard runs a Nihilus lead and I haven't bothered to zeta him yet.
  • Options

In theory, Nihilus should also be an effective counter since he prevents his Sith teammates from critting, which in turn reduces how often his Zaul opponents will stealth/gain TM. In practice, I'm not sure how well this will actually work since no one on my shard runs a Nihilus lead and I haven't bothered to zeta him yet.

That's what I'm wondering ... Not sure if anyone here has experienced that and have some kind of reference point to share
  • Vertigo
    4497 posts Member
    Options

Zaul squad will still dodge, and they'll be faster to start and will most likely have Nihilus in there to reduce cooldowns before the Nihilus led team moves. Might work well on Offense, but it will drop to Zaul squads far more than an even faster Zaul squad would.
  • WenHandel
    165 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    There's a guy in my shard who uses a Nihilus lead sith team. He changed from Maul lead. Top level squad - all zetas on Nihilus, Dooku and Savage, and he has 7* DN, SAss and STrooper. I still beat it with my Maul lead, and I'd say it is about the same difficulty as when he had Maul lead himself. Maybe the Nihilus lead causes more trouble for all the Rex/GK squads but I haven't found them especially difficult either. On defence he seems to fare about the same as me.
  • Options
    Faster zaul.
  • El_Conquistador
    19 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    On my shard, no doubt, the DN squad would be better. My entire top 20 is currently using rex or zaul leads, and many of them also have chaze and GK. I run zaul, zavage, zDooku, Sid, and palp in my squad, and even with all that heal block, I still lose very often.
  • WenHandel
    165 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Faster Maul team will probably still lose on defence to the slower Maul team as well, based on my experience. I'd say your two options are about equal.

As long as your Maul / Nihilus team has zSavage and S Assassin then you should do fine against anything.
  • vessaharja
    585 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I just wrote this q below in another thread but will also bring it up here:

Someone explain this logic:
    I'm faster than most of the zaul teams on my shard. I give TM boost with SA at the very beginning (she goes first unless opposing team has a faster SA). It's always random who of my sith go first: zaul, ep or nilly. Whoever goes, the opposing zaul team gets a turn and sometimes it's opposing nilly doing extend cd or opposing zaul doing daze -> I'm screwed.

So despite being faster and having SA give the tm boost, I end up being screwed.

What the hell? What am I missing? My speeds are:

SA around 233, Nilly 210, EP 209, zaul around 170. After SA's TM boost, it's anyone's guess who goes first. Sometimes I get to go first on zaul but always pray for nilly to get the extend cd in.
  • Options
    I would imagine that on your first turn you use an aoe attack that gets dodged and the enemy gets enough tm to bring them up to 100% as well. Then it's just a coin flip on who gets to go next, even though all your toons were there first.
  • vessaharja
    585 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    ^ and speed is completely irrelevant as sometimes my zaul goes 1st after SA TM gain, despite being the slowest of the three? True that I do use an AOE on my 1st turn. Of course I do because I have zaul daze, ep stun oor nilly extend cd as my openers.

I've lost countless arena matches in a scenario where the opposing team gets both their nilly extend cd AND their EP stun in right after my 1st post SA toon has gone. So just sitting there at full tm eating **** I guess.
  • Options
    Vessaharja, you probably just need better mods. Do you have zSavage and Sith Assassin? If so, and the mods are right, your squad should survive well enough to get back on top even if it is a bit slower.
  • Options
    vessaharja wrote: »
    ^ and speed is completely irrelevant as sometimes my zaul goes 1st after SA TM gain, despite being the slowest of the three? True that I do use an AOE on my 1st turn. Of course I do because I have zaul daze, ep stun oor nilly extend cd as my openers.

Don't quote me on this, but I heard that SA mixes up the TM after the boost. In my case I never see the same people move immediately after SA.
  • Options
    Vertigo wrote: »

Zaul squad will still dodge, and they'll be faster to start and will most likely have Nihilus in there to reduce cooldowns before the Nihilus led team moves. Might work well on Offense, but it will drop to Zaul squads far more than an even faster Zaul squad would.

On defense you think DN/Zihilus would be more of a liability than Zaul vs an equal or similar Zaul team?
  • vessaharja
    585 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    WenHandel wrote: »
    Vessaharja, you probably just need better mods. Do you have zSavage and Sith Assassin? If so, and the mods are right, your squad should survive well enough to get back on top even if it is a bit slower.

No zavage (yet) but yeah SA I do have and her TM gain is the point here. Mods can always be better but try getting mods with 15+ speed secondary and 1000 prot to all slots on your whole team.

I've started using shore on offense agains zault teams. He absorbs the hits well and usually gives me a better shot at beating a zaul team than what B2 gives.
  • Options
    With SA's turn meter boost she will raise the turn meter of everyone to over 100% if they have more than about 130 speed (zMaul lead starts them with extra turn meter too). If they are all over 100% then it is random which order they have their turns.
  • Options
    ^ so then EP goes first and screws up stun (which means he usually lands 2/5 and the 2 he lands them on are baze, b2 or some other useless fool) -> opposing zaul team gets 1-2 toons in while my toons are sitting at full tm smoking a joint.

I need to video analyze some of my arena fights but that just sounds like utter feces.
  • Vertigo
    4497 posts Member
    Options
    Vertigo wrote: »

On defense you think DN/Zihilus would be more of a liability than Zaul vs an equal or similar Zaul team?

Zaul v Zaul is all RNG. So equal Zaul teams can lose to eachother all the time. Zaul v Nihilus on defense is usually always going to go in favor of the Zaul team. One of my arena shard mates let his guild choose his arena team for a day and it was (All 7* g11) Zihilus, SA, SiT, Zavage, and I forget if it was EP or Zid or Zooku (Yea, he's got a lot of Zetas, but one of those or possibly he switched them around). Zaul squads will go before SA thanks to TM boost from the leader ability even without their own SA (I don't have mine geared well enough for arena yet). From that point on the Nihilus team barely did anything. Just Dazed, Shocked, and ate cooldowns and sooner or later I had that whole team dead and gone, and none of my guys even lost all of their protection. I think Nihilus teams can work well on offense, but on older shards with smarter Zaul teams you will drop rather easily on defense. It should hold against a lot of Rex teams though, but I think Zaul will beat Nihilus most times.
  • Options
    Just today lost 0 to 5 toons standing to a zaul on offense only to beat him 4 to 0 toons standing the next fight. Nothing but RNG. No skills involved at all.
  • Options
    DN over a faster zDM vs. another zDM especially if you have GK and SiT - the taunt spam is nasty. Add in a fast SA and the other slot can rotate between dooku / zSO / EP depending on wha tyou have built. zSO and Dooku are most optimal there.
  • RJ__Brando
    1500 posts Moderator
    Options
    If you had to pick one of the below:

1. A faster Zaul team

2. A Zihilus/DN-led team

The assumption is that both Zaul teams and DN teams are comprised of 4 or 5 Sith

(I didn't mention Rex since I was wondering which of the specific above two would be better if a Rex lead was not an option)

3. Slower Sass with cd set and accuracy
  • xReDeMpx
    1690 posts Member
    Options
    KefTEBh.jpg

DN lead is better than rng vs rng
  • Options
    vessaharja wrote: »
    Just today lost 0 to 5 toons standing to a zaul on offense only to beat him 4 to 0 toons standing the next fight. Nothing but RNG. No skills involved at all.

Actually that's not correct - you want to use EP a bit differently though. Unless you feel you have to, don't use his AOE stun to start off. If you have a decently fast EP, just use his basic in the first 2-3 moves. Get 2-3 Sith shocked. Pound on them with your other allies - they can't gain TM or go in stealth. Makes it much easier. Now, once you have them worked over pretty good, say EP's 4/5th move, then pull out the aoe stun. The aoe stun on shocked enemies stuns them for 2 turns. So now you have 2/3 of their team pinned for 2 full turns. Ideally if you have the setup going early, you shock 2-3 of them, use EP's let the hate flow to give your team O-up and extend the shock...and then come in with the aoe stun. For much of that match you're gaining TM / stealth / adv but the enemy isn't. Puts them in quicksand.
  • Options
    xReDeMpx wrote: »
    KefTEBh.jpg

DN lead is better than rng vs rng

This is the team I'm gearing up now. Except I'm using EP instead of Savage. Have both ST and SA at 6 stars but just now started leveling and gearing them. Kept thinking they were going nerf Zaul rather then let us all fall back into the only one team meta. Sad since we were finally to a point of multiple viable metas. Still not sure they wont nerf Zaul by removing the 20% tm on start but not waiting any longer.
  • The0n3
    984 posts Member
    Options
    Well, everyone is recommending Rex, GK lead, etc... But i'll tell you what: My team is zQGJ, Yoda(zBM), Aayla, JKA and GK. It simply doesn't matter if the Zaul team have SA or not, i crush them fairly easy.

I even thought in the beginning that taking out b2 could be a problem, since his dispell is mostly effective against Zaul, but there's no issues at all, GK with crit imun and taunt can break them!!

Many use GK as a 5th toon or as lead, which works great, but i dare to say his true potential comes out under a good zQGJ lead. It's simply awesome.

PS: Keep it in mind that this is a "full offensive" team, so if you're looking for a team that can hold defense (as one of those time out teams), you should go with GK, Chaze, Barris + 5th... And of course, all teams are beatable, but with a triple cleanse team you won't have much dmg to give. But this Jedi team crushes!!