The Policy on Cheaters

Prev13456711
EA_Jesse
663 posts SWGOH Dev Team
edited February 20
Greetings Heroes,

We wanted to talk with you today about cheating and exploiting in Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes. As we’ve communicated to you all before, we take people not playing by the rules seriously.

Today we are announcing our next phase of cracking down on cheating and exploiting to keep the game fair for all of our players.

Here are the steps we are taking:
  • We have created a full time position on our team to focus on the identification and handling of cheaters. That person will be using the alias @CG_leviathan (see below).
  • One of 3 actions will be taken at our discretion against players who have cheated or exploited:
    1. A permanent ban will be issued.
    2. A temporary ban will be issued.

These are only the first steps of this process, and it will continue to evolve over time.

If you want to report a player that you think is cheating, please send a direct message to @CG_leviathan here on the forums. He is the one handling all cheating/exploiting reports. At a minimum, he will need your Player ID or Ally Code as well as the name of the suspected cheater. He is also the one that you will want to message if you believe action has been taken against your account incorrectly.

Do not create posts here on the forums if you believe someone is cheating as it will be removed. Instead, please send all of your reports directly to @CG_leviathan (aka Levi).

The TOS can be found here and the EULA here.

Thanks.
Community Manager for Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes | Follow me on Twitter - Darokaz
Post edited by CG_LucifersDaddy on

Replies

  • DrPancakes
    29 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Upvote

    Can we also move all toxic forum posters to their own server. :3
    Ally Code: 911-389-156
  • EA_Jesse wrote: »
    Greetings Heroes,

    We wanted to talk with you today about cheating and exploiting in Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes. As we’ve communicated to you all before, we take people not playing by the rules seriously.

    Today we are announcing our next phase of cracking down on cheating and exploiting to keep the game fair for all of our players.

    Here are the steps we are taking:
    • We have created a full time position on our team to focus on the identification and handling of cheaters. That person will be using the alias @CG_LucifersDaddy (see below).
    • One of 3 actions will be taken at our discretion against players who have cheated or exploited:
      1. A permanent ban will be issued.
      2. A temporary ban will be issued.
      3. They will be moved to a different leaderboard that contains only cheaters or exploiters.

    These are only the first steps of this process, and it will continue to evolve over time.

    If you want to report a player that you think is cheating, please send a direct message to @CG_LucifersDaddy here on the forums. He is the one handling all cheating/exploiting reports. At a minimum, he will need your Player ID or Ally Code as well as the name of the suspected cheater. He is also the one that you will want to message if you believe action has been taken against your account incorrectly.

    Do not create posts here on the forums if you believe someone is cheating as it will be removed. Instead, please send all of your reports directly to @CG_LucifersDaddy (aka LD).

    The TOS can be found here and the EULA here.

    Thanks.

    What should we be looking for to help find cheaters?
  • EA_Jesse wrote: »
    [*] They will be moved to a different leaderboard that contains only cheaters or exploiters.

    Love this idea

  • Pilot
    470 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Getting somewhere...

    Cheat'a jail. Segregate them from the population. There can be only 24 1st place cheaters a day. Most cheaters in a sea of cheaters would be in the 1000 rank range anyway.
    Post edited by Pilot on
    "There is no 'try'." - Master Yoda
  • good. now we have someone to work with.
  • Dario
    326 posts Member
    Lucifersdaddy sounds a bit creepy and weird for a name lol..
  • What about all the people bragging about there 7* vader in forums....?
  • I love the idea of Satan's Father been used as the name.
  • Mittens
    967 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    EA_Jesse wrote: »
    They will be moved to a different leaderboard that contains only cheaters or exploiters.

    I can't even believe this is an option. I can see the first 2 depending on the severity but to say that it's ok and you will now only compete against others who cheat and exploit? Not cool. It's like saying that criminals who got arrested for robbing banks will be moved to a special city where only other bank robbers live and are able to rob the local bank..is that really a punishment?
  • Sooo LD moved here huh...
  • Mittens wrote: »
    EA_Jesse wrote: »
    They will be moved to a different leaderboard that contains only cheaters or exploiters.

    I can't even believe this is an option. I can see the first 2 depending on the severity but to say that it's ok and you will now only compete against others who cheat and exploit? Not cool. It's like saying that criminals who got arrested for robbing banks will be moved to a special city where only other bank robbers live and are able to rob the local bank..is that really a punishment?

    That's called jail.
  • Mittens
    967 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    pay2win wrote: »
    Mittens wrote: »
    EA_Jesse wrote: »
    They will be moved to a different leaderboard that contains only cheaters or exploiters.

    I can't even believe this is an option. I can see the first 2 depending on the severity but to say that it's ok and you will now only compete against others who cheat and exploit? Not cool. It's like saying that criminals who got arrested for robbing banks will be moved to a special city where only other bank robbers live and are able to rob the local bank..is that really a punishment?

    That's called jail.

    Which jail has a bank in it again?

    I mean, I use direct deposit and online banking so I haven't been to my local bank in forever, but I think I would have noticed a jailhouse attached to it.
  • Mittens wrote: »
    EA_Jesse wrote: »
    They will be moved to a different leaderboard that contains only cheaters or exploiters.

    I can't even believe this is an option. I can see the first 2 depending on the severity but to say that it's ok and you will now only compete against others who cheat and exploit? Not cool. It's like saying that criminals who got arrested for robbing banks will be moved to a special city where only other bank robbers live and are able to rob the local bank..is that really a punishment?

    They have to do this because some cheaters have spent quite a sum on the game. banning them means refund.
  • Mittens wrote: »
    pay2win wrote: »
    Mittens wrote: »
    EA_Jesse wrote: »
    They will be moved to a different leaderboard that contains only cheaters or exploiters.

    I can't even believe this is an option. I can see the first 2 depending on the severity but to say that it's ok and you will now only compete against others who cheat and exploit? Not cool. It's like saying that criminals who got arrested for robbing banks will be moved to a special city where only other bank robbers live and are able to rob the local bank..is that really a punishment?

    That's called jail.

    Which jail has a bank in it again?

    Your analogy fails because it implies that the server/CG actually has something to lose when the cheaters are moved to a different leaderboard. CG wouldn't lose anything by doing that and hence there is no robbing of a bank. That being said I oppose the idea, cheating no matter what should be punished via removal of cheated characters/resources and/or banning.
  • "They will be moved to a different leaderboard that contains only cheaters or exploiters."

    LOL. Dumbest idea I've ever heard. So we are going to let hackers continue in the game? When a dev takes such a lax response towards hackers, why would anyone want to play legit? Why be a whale and spend $2000 when your modded game has hereos that one shot everyone? Who cares what leaderboards you are in - no one even knows how many leaderboard they are in or the name of their shards. If i knew I could play the game with godmode/gem hacks/whatever hacks there are out there, I'll just not spend a single cent and just hack. I'll get to see all the content.

    And its so obvious why this option is available - Beacuse Google Play instant refunds ANY PLAYERS whos accounts are banned, regardless of the reason why. Thus, if players have spent before, EA being greedy is not going to want to lose that money. So they get around it and keep their account active, but in another server. No refunds can be given. Hurray!





  • Mittens wrote: »
    pay2win wrote: »
    Mittens wrote: »
    EA_Jesse wrote: »
    They will be moved to a different leaderboard that contains only cheaters or exploiters.

    I can't even believe this is an option. I can see the first 2 depending on the severity but to say that it's ok and you will now only compete against others who cheat and exploit? Not cool. It's like saying that criminals who got arrested for robbing banks will be moved to a special city where only other bank robbers live and are able to rob the local bank..is that really a punishment?

    That's called jail.

    Which jail has a bank in it again?

    I mean, I use direct deposit and online banking so I haven't been to my local bank in forever, but I think I would have noticed a jailhouse attached to it.

    Commissary
  • Come on dude I know and you know(maybe you don't) that you have no way of really catching cheaters. You going to VNC to peoples iPads and Android phones? Ummmm.....no All that you can do is speculate based on suspicion. If you do ban someone, they will be F2P. No P2P or P2W accounts will be banned, because you don't want to refund their money, hence the move to the cheater's leaderboard thing, where they will still get rewards, just as if they were in a regular leaderboard? YES

    If this game were made right, you wouldn't need a person to investigate cheaters, it would simply be automated. Move it server side instead of this 1999 client only encounter thing you have going now. And while your at it, hire one of the people that developed this game to come in and fix the bugs, since you guys seem to be overwhelmed counting your money to the point that you don't have time to fix the 876 broken characters/game mechanics.
  • Reddplague
    766 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    What's going to happen to HODA if he's over here full time?????

    Edit: My bad he's not really of at HODA anymore. GamesofJones handles that now.






  • mamba
    100 posts Member
    Sorry but can someone explain how people are cheating?
  • Barrok
    1753 posts Member
    meladekk wrote: »
    "They will be moved to a different leaderboard that contains only cheaters or exploiters."

    LOL. Dumbest idea I've ever heard. So we are going to let hackers continue in the game? When a dev takes such a lax response towards hackers, why would anyone want to play legit? Why be a whale and spend $2000 when your modded game has hereos that one shot everyone? Who cares what leaderboards you are in - no one even knows how many leaderboard they are in or the name of their shards. If i knew I could play the game with godmode/gem hacks/whatever hacks there are out there, I'll just not spend a single cent and just hack. I'll get to see all the content.

    And its so obvious why this option is available - Beacuse Google Play instant refunds ANY PLAYERS whos accounts are banned, regardless of the reason why. Thus, if players have spent before, EA being greedy is not going to want to lose that money. So they get around it and keep their account active, but in another server. No refunds can be given. Hurray!


    This is similar to what Marvel Puzzle Quest does with cheaters. They don't ban them, rather they "sandbox" there account which allows them to continue to cheat all they want. The problem is, they can't win any rewards from any events. PVP they can fight against someone, but the person they beat loses no points. They also don't show up as someone to battle on pvp. So in essence, they are playing the game by themselves.

    This is not the "dumbest idea ever", in fact it is a great idea. Putting all cheaters together means they are just battling themselves, no one is caught in the cross fire.

  • Heronmar wrote: »
    Mittens wrote: »
    pay2win wrote: »
    Mittens wrote: »
    EA_Jesse wrote: »
    They will be moved to a different leaderboard that contains only cheaters or exploiters.

    I can't even believe this is an option. I can see the first 2 depending on the severity but to say that it's ok and you will now only compete against others who cheat and exploit? Not cool. It's like saying that criminals who got arrested for robbing banks will be moved to a special city where only other bank robbers live and are able to rob the local bank..is that really a punishment?

    That's called jail.

    Which jail has a bank in it again?

    Your analogy fails because it implies that the server/CG actually has something to lose when the cheaters are moved to a different leaderboard. CG wouldn't lose anything by doing that and hence there is no robbing of a bank. That being said I oppose the idea, cheating no matter what should be punished via removal of cheated characters/resources and/or banning.

    Your analogy fails too. The correct statement is - which jail has a complete functioning society where you can enjoy life in jail as much as life outside jail. A jail which has bungalows and swimming pools and skyscrapers.

    Because that is what will happen this option. They get to enjoy the game's content as much as everyone else. They will farm all chracters in the game and fight all content. They can complete GW instantly to skip the boring grind, and get the end game heroes they want. They can then turn off the hacks and play normally for fun. Many ways to enjoy the game when hacked. That is in comparision to playing players who are limited by the game's rules.

  • Barrok
    1753 posts Member
    meladekk wrote: »
    Heronmar wrote: »
    Mittens wrote: »
    pay2win wrote: »
    Mittens wrote: »
    EA_Jesse wrote: »
    They will be moved to a different leaderboard that contains only cheaters or exploiters.

    I can't even believe this is an option. I can see the first 2 depending on the severity but to say that it's ok and you will now only compete against others who cheat and exploit? Not cool. It's like saying that criminals who got arrested for robbing banks will be moved to a special city where only other bank robbers live and are able to rob the local bank..is that really a punishment?

    That's called jail.

    Which jail has a bank in it again?

    Your analogy fails because it implies that the server/CG actually has something to lose when the cheaters are moved to a different leaderboard. CG wouldn't lose anything by doing that and hence there is no robbing of a bank. That being said I oppose the idea, cheating no matter what should be punished via removal of cheated characters/resources and/or banning.

    Your analogy fails too. The correct statement is - which jail has a complete functioning society where you can enjoy life in jail as much as life outside jail. A jail which has bungalows and swimming pools and skyscrapers.

    Because that is what will happen this option. They get to enjoy the game's content as much as everyone else. They will farm all chracters in the game and fight all content. They can complete GW instantly to skip the boring grind, and get the end game heroes they want. They can then turn off the hacks and play normally for fun. Many ways to enjoy the game when hacked. That is in comparision to playing players who are limited by the game's rules.

    Dude, they get moved to the server BECAUSE of hacks. It isn't something they turn off the hacks and then play normally. Once they are on that server they are never leaving. People inevitably will quit the game, because their leaderboard position lasts 1 second cause some fool kills their whole team with a hack.

    It's like playing dota 2 in the leavers bracket.. no fun.
  • meladekk wrote: »
    Heronmar wrote: »
    Mittens wrote: »
    pay2win wrote: »
    Mittens wrote: »
    EA_Jesse wrote: »
    They will be moved to a different leaderboard that contains only cheaters or exploiters.

    I can't even believe this is an option. I can see the first 2 depending on the severity but to say that it's ok and you will now only compete against others who cheat and exploit? Not cool. It's like saying that criminals who got arrested for robbing banks will be moved to a special city where only other bank robbers live and are able to rob the local bank..is that really a punishment?

    That's called jail.

    Which jail has a bank in it again?

    Your analogy fails because it implies that the server/CG actually has something to lose when the cheaters are moved to a different leaderboard. CG wouldn't lose anything by doing that and hence there is no robbing of a bank. That being said I oppose the idea, cheating no matter what should be punished via removal of cheated characters/resources and/or banning.

    Your analogy fails too. The correct statement is - which jail has a complete functioning society where you can enjoy life in jail as much as life outside jail. A jail which has bungalows and swimming pools and skyscrapers.

    Because that is what will happen this option. They get to enjoy the game's content as much as everyone else. They will farm all chracters in the game and fight all content. They can complete GW instantly to skip the boring grind, and get the end game heroes they want. They can then turn off the hacks and play normally for fun. Many ways to enjoy the game when hacked. That is in comparision to playing players who are limited by the game's rules.

    No one really cares about that. They won't be competing with legit players and that's really most peoples only worry.
  • Getting somewhere +1 :)
  • Barrok wrote: »
    meladekk wrote: »
    "They will be moved to a different leaderboard that contains only cheaters or exploiters."

    LOL. Dumbest idea I've ever heard. So we are going to let hackers continue in the game? When a dev takes such a lax response towards hackers, why would anyone want to play legit? Why be a whale and spend $2000 when your modded game has hereos that one shot everyone? Who cares what leaderboards you are in - no one even knows how many leaderboard they are in or the name of their shards. If i knew I could play the game with godmode/gem hacks/whatever hacks there are out there, I'll just not spend a single cent and just hack. I'll get to see all the content.

    And its so obvious why this option is available - Beacuse Google Play instant refunds ANY PLAYERS whos accounts are banned, regardless of the reason why. Thus, if players have spent before, EA being greedy is not going to want to lose that money. So they get around it and keep their account active, but in another server. No refunds can be given. Hurray!


    This is similar to what Marvel Puzzle Quest does with cheaters. They don't ban them, rather they "sandbox" there account which allows them to continue to cheat all they want. The problem is, they can't win any rewards from any events. PVP they can fight against someone, but the person they beat loses no points. They also don't show up as someone to battle on pvp. So in essence, they are playing the game by themselves.

    This is not the "dumbest idea ever", in fact it is a great idea. Putting all cheaters together means they are just battling themselves, no one is caught in the cross fire.

    Why then would anyone NOT want to cheat?

    I'm sure many players spend on the game without the sole purpose of climbing a leaderboard which most people don't really care about.

    A simple analogy - Hacking in game is like defying the laws and logic of a game. Translated to real life, it would be breaking the law of physics and logic.
    Would you rather be in 1. the real world, or 2. A sandbox world where you can break the law of physics and fly and be an instant millionaire? Who cares if the other people in that new world are similarly as powerful as you? you derived enjoyment from the thing that world offers you.
  • Mittens
    967 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    meladekk wrote: »
    Heronmar wrote: »
    Mittens wrote: »
    pay2win wrote: »
    Mittens wrote: »
    EA_Jesse wrote: »
    They will be moved to a different leaderboard that contains only cheaters or exploiters.

    I can't even believe this is an option. I can see the first 2 depending on the severity but to say that it's ok and you will now only compete against others who cheat and exploit? Not cool. It's like saying that criminals who got arrested for robbing banks will be moved to a special city where only other bank robbers live and are able to rob the local bank..is that really a punishment?

    That's called jail.

    Which jail has a bank in it again?

    Your analogy fails because it implies that the server/CG actually has something to lose when the cheaters are moved to a different leaderboard. CG wouldn't lose anything by doing that and hence there is no robbing of a bank. That being said I oppose the idea, cheating no matter what should be punished via removal of cheated characters/resources and/or banning.

    Your analogy fails too. The correct statement is - which jail has a complete functioning society where you can enjoy life in jail as much as life outside jail. A jail which has bungalows and swimming pools and skyscrapers.

    Because that is what will happen this option. They get to enjoy the game's content as much as everyone else. They will farm all chracters in the game and fight all content. They can complete GW instantly to skip the boring grind, and get the end game heroes they want. They can then turn off the hacks and play normally for fun. Many ways to enjoy the game when hacked. That is in comparision to playing players who are limited by the game's rules.

    It's actually BETTER than that. The ones in jail that have bungalows and swimming pools are better off because they aren't actually PAYING for any of it. Wouldnt you rather be in a community where you don't have to work and you have a nice house and pool and live BETTER than those outside that are working 80 hour weeks and 3 jobs and living paycheck to paycheck in the slums? That's basically what they are saying.

    Why not just have a version of the game where you get all characters at 7* and max gear and can just play, but not compete with everyone else except your own? What's my incentive to spend money if I can just hack my way to having everything the game has to offer?
  • meladekk
    21 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    pay2win wrote: »
    meladekk wrote: »
    Heronmar wrote: »
    Mittens wrote: »
    pay2win wrote: »
    Mittens wrote: »
    EA_Jesse wrote: »
    They will be moved to a different leaderboard that contains only cheaters or exploiters.

    I can't even believe this is an option. I can see the first 2 depending on the severity but to say that it's ok and you will now only compete against others who cheat and exploit? Not cool. It's like saying that criminals who got arrested for robbing banks will be moved to a special city where only other bank robbers live and are able to rob the local bank..is that really a punishment?

    That's called jail.

    Which jail has a bank in it again?

    Your analogy fails because it implies that the server/CG actually has something to lose when the cheaters are moved to a different leaderboard. CG wouldn't lose anything by doing that and hence there is no robbing of a bank. That being said I oppose the idea, cheating no matter what should be punished via removal of cheated characters/resources and/or banning.

    Your analogy fails too. The correct statement is - which jail has a complete functioning society where you can enjoy life in jail as much as life outside jail. A jail which has bungalows and swimming pools and skyscrapers.

    Because that is what will happen this option. They get to enjoy the game's content as much as everyone else. They will farm all chracters in the game and fight all content. They can complete GW instantly to skip the boring grind, and get the end game heroes they want. They can then turn off the hacks and play normally for fun. Many ways to enjoy the game when hacked. That is in comparision to playing players who are limited by the game's rules.

    No one really cares about that. They won't be competing with legit players and that's really most peoples only worry.

    No one on their current leaderboard would care. The potential problem is then why would anyone want to spend on the game when you can just go the hacking route? Sure, the whales who has already invested thousands in the game won't restart, but who wouldn't just get up and leave when you can just go to a hacker leaderboard where you can get unlimited gems/godmode ect.

    The solution that is proposed is just a short term fix that shows that the devs aren't serious in developing the game long term, because the effects of this suggestion only serves short term interest and not the long term interest of the game.
  • im guessing all the vader 7* cheaters are being moved to one sever then, so then they can annoy each other. i like the idea of cheaters on one sever ha ha
  • meladekk wrote: »
    pay2win wrote: »
    meladekk wrote: »
    Heronmar wrote: »
    Mittens wrote: »
    pay2win wrote: »
    Mittens wrote: »
    EA_Jesse wrote: »
    They will be moved to a different leaderboard that contains only cheaters or exploiters.

    I can't even believe this is an option. I can see the first 2 depending on the severity but to say that it's ok and you will now only compete against others who cheat and exploit? Not cool. It's like saying that criminals who got arrested for robbing banks will be moved to a special city where only other bank robbers live and are able to rob the local bank..is that really a punishment?

    That's called jail.

    Which jail has a bank in it again?

    Your analogy fails because it implies that the server/CG actually has something to lose when the cheaters are moved to a different leaderboard. CG wouldn't lose anything by doing that and hence there is no robbing of a bank. That being said I oppose the idea, cheating no matter what should be punished via removal of cheated characters/resources and/or banning.

    Your analogy fails too. The correct statement is - which jail has a complete functioning society where you can enjoy life in jail as much as life outside jail. A jail which has bungalows and swimming pools and skyscrapers.

    Because that is what will happen this option. They get to enjoy the game's content as much as everyone else. They will farm all chracters in the game and fight all content. They can complete GW instantly to skip the boring grind, and get the end game heroes they want. They can then turn off the hacks and play normally for fun. Many ways to enjoy the game when hacked. That is in comparision to playing players who are limited by the game's rules.

    No one really cares about that. They won't be competing with legit players and that's really most peoples only worry.

    No one on their current leaderboard would care. The potential problem is then why would anyone want to spend on the game when you can just go the hacking route? Sure, the whales who has already invested thousands in the game won't restart, but who wouldn't just get up and leave when you can just go to a hacker leaderboard where you can get unlimited gems/godmode ect.

    #1. Not everyone knows how to do it.
    #2. Some people have integrity.
    #3. Being moved to a hacker leaderboard is not a guaranteed outcome.
  • Noci
    81 posts Member
    So, 2 of the 3 options involve basically letting the cheaters continue to play the game? What jokes these developers are. I guess having more players and getting more sales trumps all.
This discussion has been closed.