Breaking!! Improved Matchmaking for GW after Feb

Prev134
xJazzx
808 posts Member
edited February 2016
Changes coming to Galactic Wars!

Hi all -

I know I've been away from this thread for a couple of weeks. I have been reading and keeping an eye on the conversation, though. I wanted to give it a bit of time for people to have a chance to play with the new Retreat for a while, and share their thoughts. Thank you all for taking the time to provide your feedback and perspectives.

Feedback on GW still seems mixed:
  • Some like it.
  • Some don't like it.
  • Some find it too hard.
  • Some find it too easy.
  • Some think we're evil, we broke the game, and should go hurt ourselves.

As always, you can't please everyone. :)

I had my own account reset a little less than three weeks ago. I'm playing through this time as completely FTP. I'm currently at level 49 and have 13 characters. I've been able to complete GW each day I was able to get to it (I don't have an exact record, but it's been a big majority of the days since I hit 40).

I wanted to do that to ensure I could correlate my personal experience to what people were talking about here. (My previous play through had a lot of spending and thus a lot of characters.)

And, I do expect some will say that since I'm only at 49 I'm not experiencing their full GW concerns. That may be, but I'm playing it as fast as I can. :)

However, I did want to mention two things:
  1. First, having listened to the feedback here, and reviewed the data of how people are doing in GW, we are planning on making a change to the opponents you'll face in GW. Currently, as people have noted, you can get paired up against players who are a "significant" number of levels above you. (Quoted because it's a subjective assessment.) We are planning to restrict the level variance much more than is currently happening. I don't have an exact date for this change, and we'll update you once that's locked. We're hoping that this will lead to a better experience overall. That being said, I do want to re-iterate that GW is meant to be hard. You are likely not going to be able to complete it every day.
  2. Second, we are having conversations internally about how to grow this feature. We have some interesting ideas -- and have heard some good ideas here in this thread as well. This change is longer-term. We have the February update coming next week, and that's locked. We also have plans locked for the next release which @EA_Jesse will speak to once we're well past the February update. So, to set expectations, the earliest GW would be augmented would be after that next release.

Hope that helps. Happy to hear your thoughts.

BTW - As some have mentioned, this thread may have run its course. I do want to hear reactions to my comments above, but we'll likely close this thread if the conversation is either wrapping up or going in circles.

Thanks!
Post edited by xJazzx on

Replies

• Options
    Weird, you would think he could just auto level 70 his characters for testing purposes rather than leveling from scratch.
  • Options
    Weird, you would think he could just auto level 70 his characters for testing purposes rather than leveling from scratch.

I could (and sometimes do that and more for testing purposes).

But actually playing the live game, as the rest of the world plays it, is uniquely valuable.

And this is what I'd call my third "play through" of the game. I got to 58 with the soft launch version. Reset when we launched world wide. Got to 60, and had it reset again when we opened the cap to 70.

And that's just the live game. We also play the builds while they are still in development quite a bit as well.

In other words, we play the game a lot. :)
  • Options

But actually playing the live game, as the rest of the world plays it, is uniquely valuable.

And this is what I'd call my third "play through" of the game. I got to 58 with the soft launch version. Reset when we launched world wide. Got to 60, and had it reset again when we opened the cap to 70.

And that's just the live game. We also play the builds while they are still in development quite a bit as well.

Thanks John, appreciate it.
  • Options
    What is much more an issue for me is being heal blocked by Sid or kylo. There is almost no way to recover from having 3 characters blocked in match 5, especially if they are your A team. The other issue is going against team after team of Sid, dooku, phasma and to a lesser extent poe. Every match they go first and inflict massive damage. You need to heal after they get their first 6 attacks in and you haven't even delt any damage yet.
  • Options
    It's good to see you are doing that because with some of the recent changes being so unpopular, I figured part of it was that the team didn't know the game...
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Options
    What is much more an issue for me is being heal blocked by Sid or kylo. There is almost no way to recover from having 3 characters blocked in match 5, especially if they are your A team. The other issue is going against team after team of Sid, dooku, phasma and to a lesser extent poe. Every match they go first and inflict massive damage. You need to heal after they get their first 6 attacks in and you haven't even delt any damage yet.

I don't really have a problem with that. Sid can be often dealt with before he blocks anyone because he usually starts with his AoE. And if I recieve massive damage before I attack, I just heal up and destroy the other team (with repeated tries to not lose anyone, if needed)... I use Phasma (L), Lumi, JC, Luke and IG86, so enough non-jedi damage for Sid. But I do agree that a team with more heal blockers could be pain in the a**, but why would anyone do that? It would only mess with the players who get matched against it, giving no real benefit...
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    A couple of suggestions...
    1. Prioritize heal blockers. Sid is not my #1 priority in arena but he is in GW. Because it's a long haul you need to get rid of the heal blockers. Kylo of course is harder to get rid of. Fortunately I don't see many teams with both.
    2. Use stunners like Old Daka and Dooku, with a bit of luck you can slow them down long enough to stop them before they heal-block. Stuns are incredibly useful in GW.
    3. Put a "striker" on your team, someone like GS who can quickly burst down a Sidious type.
    4. If you have Barriss, time her heal carefully to save someone who is near death. If you don't have Barriss, consider getting her. :)
    5. Kylo's only really dangerous when near death or when he starts chaining the AoE/counter move. Ability-block him if possible, then burst him down. His heal block is only about half the time, and only for one turn.
    6. Keep trying and hope for good RNG. :)
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Nerfherder17
    2094 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    My primary is 7* lumi poggle and 6* JC ig86 and Geo. I don't have Barris. Daka and dooku are base level 4* because i don't use them. I can get around the sid dooku kyle phasma teams, it just takes a lot of rng manipulation and I waste time doing that. I don't lose GW very often, but I do retreat to stop sid from Blocking me every match.
  • Options
    I think the biggest problem with people is they feel there is some entitlement to being able to complete gw every day.

Gw should be viewed no different as light side and dark side tables, if someone has a squad of lightside characters no greater than 3 stars and low level gear then they should not be able to complete level 7 darkside hard which they cannot as per the design of the game. The same is and should be with GW, if hour entire collection is not powerful enough then you should not be able to complete GW.

I find myself frustrated every time I play GW but I know thats the way it is, it just makes completing it all the more exciting. There's no glory in winning if the road there is simple.

I do however believe that it would calm a lot of people if the levels were capped at 5 levels above the players account level, that keeps it both difficult and reasonable.

I also think a possible change that would satisfy nearly everyone is to impliment a way to replace fallen players during the match. The problem with the old retreat was that it resetted the buffs, debuffs and turn meters, which was obviously an unfair cheat, if there were a way to add a player without retreating or having everyone keep their buffs, debuffs and turn meters this problem would be solved.
    Look, good against pvp is one thing, good against the living, that’s something else.
  • Options
    Thx for the feedback. Personally I love GW right now. It's challenging and occasionally I can't finish it. But 13/14 times I beat it with some thought and retreats. Lvl 70 hard launch player. Any easier and it'd be boring. Much harder and I may be frustrated that I can't finish, even with my fully maxed 7* team.

Excited to see any new features you may be adding. Cheers
  • Options
    Thank you for reading and monitoring what we are saying. Your proposed change sounds like a good one.
  • Options
    The problem with GW is the basic matchmaking mechanic is flawed. One day it's so easy it's a joke, the next day for no apparent reason it is quite literally impossible.

This is what frustrates me, GW is no challenge at all, it's a coin flip, heads it's too easy, tails it can't be completed.
  • Options
    What's your arena rank, J?

Has any one fought J's team?

I've said too much.

I haven't said enough.

That's me in the corner. :)
  • Options
    Please don't lose your religion. Poe is our prophet and god.
  • J7000
    2059 posts Member
    Options
    My primary is 7* lumi poggle and 6* JC ig86 and Geo. I don't have Barris. Daka and dooku are base level 4* because i don't use them. I can get around the sid dooku kyle phasma teams, it just takes a lot of rng manipulation and I waste time doing that. I don't lose GW very often, but I do retreat to stop sid from Blocking me every match.

I know that there are some juicy toons to farm in Cantina, but very few people who get Daka to at least 6* regret it.

Also, they indicate that although they are working with GW to make opponents perhaps match your level better, they don't want GW to be easy and don't necessarily think you should win every time.

That being said, my advice to you would be to get Daka to 6* and at least a 4* Bariss. Arena is only one aspect of the game. Who knows who they could add to GW shipments in the future. Dooku could also help RNG stun you to victory. Just my 2 cents.
  • Options

I've said too much.

I haven't said enough.

Go in the spotlight and tell us your rank u freaking whale !
  • medetec
    1571 posts Member
    Options
    The level variance fix sounds great! Guild war has been a solid challenge but complete-able so far (I'm currently 51) with some matches that require switching rosters to pass effectively and retreating to try better character combinations. My one complaint was for awhile now I've invariably had 1 battle around 1/2 to 2/3 of the way through that had a team that was massively stronger than mine. 10-15 levels higher with gear and * advantage. It's beatable, but its not fun. Clearing that round involves a combination of a burner squad (fine) AND retreating not to choose a better squad but to cheese out better RNG (not fine). Another "plus" of a level variance cap is you also don't face squads that are a huge level gap below you, which while it's less noticeable since its just a silly blip along the road also isn't fun or challenging.

Cheesing RNG is not fun and reducing the level variance should help a lot in putting the emphasis on squad composition and tactics over just mashing your face into the battle until your luck is good enough to clear it.

In case it matters to anyone, I'm a level 51 account and I bought the Dooku and Barriss packs, but have self farmed the rest of my roster. For most GW battles I run Barriss (L), Geo, QGJ, Sid, and Lumi.
  • Options

I've said too much.

I haven't said enough.

That's me in the spotlight

Loosing my religion

Had to finish it.

Great news. I grew into the new GW. My real issue is that I run into multiple Poe DPS teams per GW, often 2-3 in succession, all LVL 70, all 7*. Yes I'm LVL 70, but multiple in a row when the non Poe teams you fave are also all 7* level 70 purples is very frustrating.

I get it is supposed to be hard, but honestly I have 5-6 teams and plenty of fodder and there are days I barely make it. The vast majority will not make it through. Each day, despite my LVL remaining the same, and my "power" growing very slowly due to drop rastes and expensive energy and gearing requirements, my march is growing 2-3x more difficult each day. It was a Poe team, then 2-3, now half my march minimum is against Poe DPS, or Poe QGJ with a cannon, Sid and Old Ben builds.

While it feels awesome to get through it, and forces you to really be strategic. The other day for Instance I faced mind you all Purple 7* 70 level

Fight 6
    Phasma
    Kylo
    Sid
    QGJ
    Poe

Fight 7
    QGJ
    Secura
    Ben
    Kit
    Dooku(at 7* he is just obnoxious,lol)

Fight 8
    QGJ
    Poe
    Leia
    Rey
    FOTP

Fight 9
    QGJ
    Lumi
    Poe
    Dooku
    FOTP

Fight 10 (Got a break from Poe)
    Han
    Leia
    Rey
    JC
    Phasma

Fight 11
    HK
    Poggle
    Poe

Fight 12
    Sid
    QGJ
    GS
    FOTP
    Poe

I understand it is supposed to be difficuylt but that was a bit obnoxious there. My 1st fight was the only fight that did not have all 70 lvl purples with at least 3/5 being 7*

The only 5* I saw the whole fight was Dooku and Barris in fight 1, Dooku in like fight 3. I saw a 6* Dooku, 6* Barriss, and 6* Daka, 6* Rey, aside from thaqt everyone was 7* in the first 6. The last were as shown above.

Am I complaining? No. Pointing out that there is a definite flaw in the match making and mechanics. Honestly I had zero business passing that. I had some good RNG luck and dozens of retreats. I had to sacrifice many. My Poe was dead by fight 10. I sacrificed Lumi because the only way not to I lost Sid or GS. GS speed and burst too valuable, Sid aOE around Poe too valuable compared to a heal. Had I subbed out some of what I had left(I'd lost a lot) I'd have lost 2 level 70 Purple 5-7 toons and limped out. Made you strategize heals, specials, and sacrifice of very good toons. A max lvl star gear Lumi is a huge loss.

It is awesome the elation afterwards getting through. But that same run 10 times, as(no brag) good as I am at this game, I'd be hard pressed for a 50% complete rate, and after so much time, money and energy it is very frustrating to feed your team to a grinder. You face a Poe DPS team you win your heals are used or if you match it up vs the same, you are damaged. Go in again, they are full health, all specials, you are damaged, Poe on cool down, as many of your toons are. switch teams up, take your lump. Use Fodder draw it out, ect, then again you walk into a suped up Poe team or QGJ team.

Maybe tweak it so you are not in a grionder for 8-10 strait fights, toss in every 2 grinder fights a softy to heal up against reset cool downs. Or give a % health gain after each victory and a -2 on cooldowns. Some this would reset, some would still have a couple, some only one. Or an RNG that resets 3 totalcooldowns(Not whole toons, but cooldowns on moves. So Lumi who has 2 with CD might only have 1 reset, ect.)

Just some ideas to keep it hard, but alleviate. I no longer call it Galactic War I call it Galactic H you know the rest, Galactic Bloodbath, Galactic Slaughterhouse, or Galactic Massacre. Far more fitting, lol.

Very excited though on the changes John. Thank you.

• Options
    J7000 wrote: »

I know that there are some juicy toons to farm in Cantina, but very few people who get Daka to at least 6* regret it.

Also, they indicate that although they are working with GW to make opponents perhaps match your level better, they don't want GW to be easy and don't necessarily think you should win every time.

That being said, my advice to you would be to get Daka to 6* and at least a 4* Bariss. Arena is only one aspect of the game. Who knows who they could add to GW shipments in the future. Dooku could also help RNG stun you to victory. Just my 2 cents.

Daka is awesome in GW. She can really help you control the fight. She can bring back people at perfect times. My post showing my final 6 there I ONLY made it through because last fight she brought JC back who healed the team and got a Attack as D in to finish off GS. I was a dead man walking and would have failed GW for the first time in like 40 strait. Yes she is very RNG based. If not there she is just decent, if it is there she is a Goddess, an MVP that can win the fight for you. Thing is you just never know.
  • Options
    Qeltar wrote: »
    A couple of suggestions...
    1. Prioritize heal blockers. Sid is not my #1 priority in arena but he is in GW. Because it's a long haul you need to get rid of the heal blockers. Kylo of course is harder to get rid of. Fortunately I don't see many teams with both.
    2. Use stunners like Old Daka and Dooku, with a bit of luck you can slow them down long enough to stop them before they heal-block. Stuns are incredibly useful in GW.
    3. Put a "striker" on your team, someone like GS who can quickly burst down a Sidious type.
    4. If you have Barriss, time her heal carefully to save someone who is near death. If you don't have Barriss, consider getting her. :)
    5. Kylo's only really dangerous when near death or when he starts chaining the AoE/counter move. Ability-block him if possible, then burst him down. His heal block is only about half the time, and only for one turn.
    6. Keep trying and hope for good RNG. :)

Great advice, as you typically give. I'll expand some. Kylo is pretty easy to stun and not too fast. I'll toss a stun at him, and use my GS to Ice Sid when they are together. Timing your Barriss heal is essensial. I try not to use it really unless I have to. Only time I leave Sid is if their is a Cannon. I always take them first. I can live with heal immune, You are unlikely to live after a FOTP, Rey, Leia, or GS attack.
  • Options
    Well I am looking forward to a change I have completed GW all of 2 times since I started it, I'm sure Johns knowledge of the meta and how GW is suppose to go helps him complete it everyday, hell if I started a second account I could probably do a lot better in there my self, but you are more than welcome to come play GW on my account anytime John, 2 days in a row I get stymied at box 6 facing 2 levels above me. And the funniest thing happened, not really cause it screwed up my turn meters and cooldowns, but it put me up against a single royal guard for fight 3, My server is old and I got in the game 10 days late, and I broke my phone was out of the game 11 days and I still manage to keep in the top 500 so say what you want about my abilities but the GW is the biggest disappointment of my day usually.
  • Options
    Like the post, good communication and it is just nice to hear that you are thinking about it. I'm surprised you have not seen the huge level gaps yet.
  • Options
    Good start and good for CG for listening. But what I think would refresh GW for a lot of players is mixing things up. People are bored of GW because we play against the same 12-15 characters every single match, every day, and of course they are the same guys we see in Arena too. Yawn. This game has over 70 characters and we see a fraction of them used. For something called GALACTIC war, I think we should have the opportunity here to see everyone. Why can't you put in some kind of random AI team selection in place? I'd have much more fun if I didn't know I'd be seeing some variation of Lumi/Sid/Dooku from match 1 to 12, day in and day out. It could even be Gauntlet-style, where you'll never see the same toon more than once per GW. There is a lot of potential here, keep tinkering with it!
  • Options
    Please don't lose your religion. Poe is our prophet and god.

That actually surprisingly made me laugh

I love you John! Even if I still don't agree with your lack of nerf on Poe I appreciate everything you are doing and looking forward to more communication from you
  • Options

I've said too much.

I haven't said enough.

losing my #1 position xD

| John Salera is my favorite Sith Lord |
  • Options

I have multiplenty epic toons at 70, and quite a few from 60 to 70 range. Finish in arena anywhere from top 20 to top 100 depending on RNG gods. Yesterday I barely made it to node 7, and no further. Facing "significantly harder teams" isn't even in the realm of subjective for me, just the normal modus operandi.
  • Options
    Keep it the way it is. We should have something in the game that requires ppl to working for it. Maybe GW should be like Relam of Legends in MCOC. Relam of Legends is so hard they gave several 4* characters as reward when you complete it so, you know it's hard, lol.
  • InternetSwag
    2658 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @CG_JohnSalera
    Although in all honesty John, the fact that you haven't lost a single GW can be attributed to your skill and experience;
    1) Being a dev you innately understand the mechanics of the game at a superior level, also factoring in your end game builds for fun/testing you know quite well what works and what doesn't.
    2) Having completed the game almost twice (two resets) gives you a major skill/experience advantage over other players your level and even beyond.

But so far I'm happy with the amount of attention and updates this game is getting, almost feels like an MMO getting weekly updates and patches. Really nice!

Side note: Yeah I'm around lvl 49 atm too and when I was 46 I faced a team of level 59's. Was not too jovial about that :) But I managed.

| John Salera is my favorite Sith Lord |
  • Options
    Another thing you could do, but would take more effort, and re-coding....
    Currently we are running against actual teams, teams other players have built. But since so many people follow the "meta", we tend to run into the same group over and over. This makes certain nodes feel repeatable. DarthMasterShawn's post illustrates this point.
    If you are at the very top level, then there is no more real challenge, since you have the best team and can beat any 7* team, even multiples. It then becomes a game of attrition and RNG, which is less fun.
    Instead of seeding actual teams.....why not you, as the developer, just create a fixed team for each node? That helps in a lot of ways:
    1) People will stop complaining about random nodes being harder than others. Everyone is facing the same opponents.
    2) You can set the strength of each node to be of increasing difficulty. Currently it bounces all over the place. The last node is rarely the most difficult, for example.
    3) As the game grows and people get more levels.....you just add more nodes!
    4) You can test out your own characters and how they behave in teams. So many people complain of Poe. Create a Poe node. Collect your own data and see how successful people are against that meta. Do they need to bring their own Poe? How successful are people without Poe doing against the team?
    5) On the same note....you can test out new toons prior to release. Let's use Yoda as an example. Create a new node (node #13)...put Yoda in it with a team you expect people to create. Do his abilities work as you expect? Do they need to be buffed/nerfed? You can do all this before actually releasing the character, and it gives us a preview of the toon to get us excited.
    So people who just hit level 40 (or whatever it was to unlock GW)....the first 3 nodes let's say are just up to level 40 toons. So they can clear those as well as the rest of us. In fact, the rest of us can even test out some of our lower level toons if we wanted. Nodes 4-6 can be cleared by level 50 people reliably, level 7-9 by people up to level 60, and nodes 10-12 by people at level 70. Nodes 13-15 in the future by people at lvl 80.
    Again, each node is preset. You adjust it as you see fit. 100% of people clearing node 12? Make it harder. Bring in gear 10 toons. 60% of people clearing node 12? Make it easier.
    This will mean eliminating the variability of teams we see on our part. I think people would also complain less (hopefully at least people will understand that when they are level 60 they woould be able to clear only up to about node 9 and no further), and also a lot more ease of control for you to edit and add features to GW.
This discussion has been closed.