New Crystal Spending Plan?

Prev1
Ive been a F2P player on this game for a little over a year now and I have always known the best way to spend your crystals is on energy refreshes but lately since I have been watching videos of top players on youtube they have been talking about how they have ditched spending crystals on refreshes and instead migrated to saving crystals and purchasing fully crafted gear from the shipments. Can anyone vouch for this new strategy? Is it economically efficient? Most fully crafted gear in the shipments are 1,400 crystals which is 28 regular refreshes or 14 cantina refreshes. Also if you are spending it on gear are you just buying raid gear or are you also purchasing farmable gear? (stun cuffs/stun guns)

Replies

• Options
    Once you hit level cap it is better to save crystals for gear. I buy stun guns, stun cuffs and furnaces, with the occasional holo projector
  • BulYwif
    1977 posts Member
    Options
    Depends also on your guild requirement, if you can have the whole free daily energies. If you can reach 600/600 without any refreshes, so keep your crystals and sometimes buy gears.
    518 posts Member
    Options
    Even without being 85 you can do it. Being 82 and I'm saving crystals for gears, this is so hard just to spend it knowing that this is for nothing, I prefer having a 100% chance to get a full gear than a 0.1% to drop a part of it.
  • Alrikster
    173 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I think i saw the math on that some time.

50crystal refreshes are more efficient than buying gear from the store, 100crystal refreshes are less efficient.

Exception are the tenacity discs probably.
  • Options
    BulYwif wrote: »
    Depends also on your guild requirement, if you can have the whole free daily energies. If you can reach 600/600 without any refreshes, so keep your crystals and sometimes buy gears.

I run my own guild and don't have an energy requirement so that's not really an issue.
  • Huatimus
    3669 posts Member
    Options
    Before level 85, it is usually better to spend on energy refreshes. After you've hit 85, you can cut down on refreshes and just buy gear directly.
  • BulYwif
    1977 posts Member
    Options
    Kaytub wrote: »

I run my own guild and don't have an energy requirement so that's not really an issue.

So keep your crystals for gears, it's the best investiment in game
  • Options
    For tenacity disks, should you buy them for 300 crystals or farm them
  • Options
    Hi,

I am in a very similar position to you and in the past month or so have migrated to saving crystals and buying the fully crafted gear.

My reasoning is that I am finding myself consistently bottlenecked by the level 8-9 gear wall requiring rancor raid gear and have more than enough characters sat at G8 that I want to gear up. So my focus changed from wanting character shards to raid gear and as you can only do raids a set amount, the only option to speed this up is buying items in the shop.

From a cost effective standpoint, I don't believe non-raid gear is economically efficient. I have read a few posts on here regarding this before and (forgive me if I don't recall the numbers quite correctly!) - given a rough drop rate of 30% (various people have analysed this and it seems to be the agreed rate) you need around 170 attempts to create a full stun cuff/stun gun. This equates to 1700 energy (when farming from a normal node at 10 energy) which will cost 15 refreshes at 50 crystals a refresh - 750 crystals. Even if you were doing the two 50 crystal refreshes anyway so want to cost it at the 100 crystal refresh then it's only 1500 crystals. Which obviously is slightly more expensive than the 1400 for buying it outright but hasn't yet taken into account the other gear/credits/training droid etc. rewards you get when farming through nodes and the free energy you get each day.

The downside of the farming route is that it will take you a while to get it compared to having it instantly.

• Options
    A little of this. A little of that. Depending on what's needed. I definitely don't do many cantina refreshes lately.
  • Options
    Sun guns are too expensive in the store
  • Faff2D2
    253 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Budget in 30 crystals every day or two on sim tickets.
  • Aachthor
    138 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    It totally depends on the gear you want - there is gear where buying with crystals is waste of crystals, and there is gear where using refreshes and not buying them is a waste of crystals. It depends on the droprate of the gear and the costs in the shop.

Rough hints if you want to use your crystals efficiently:
    • buying farmable violett gear usually is a bad idea
    • farming gold gear is a bad idea
  • BulYwif
    1977 posts Member
    Options

You'll spend more than 300 crystals to farm 20 holo. Everytime I have enough crystals, I buy them.
  • Options

You'll spend more than 300 crystals to farm 20 holo. Everytime I have enough crystals, I buy them.

Imo they are the best deal in the shop.
  • Options

In the long term not true - I have a database which reads 1153 sims resulting in 280 Holo III pieces. When doing the calculation you are *slightly* better of farming than buying them: the droprate is 24.28% and farming is better than buying for Holo III if the droprate is above 22.22% (calculated for 8 energy nodes and 50 crystal refreshes)
  • BulYwif
    1977 posts Member
    Options
    Aachthor wrote: »

In the long term not true - I have a database which reads 1153 sims resulting in 280 Holo III pieces. When doing the calculation you are *slightly* better of farming than buying them: the droprate is 24.28% and farming is better than buying for Holo III if the droprate is above 22.22% (calculated for 8 energy nodes and 50 crystal refreshes)

Good to know.
  • Tantema_Garnik
    302 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    The buying of full gear is a (lazy) short cut. It saves you time. Probebly most p2p will do this.

For each node you get: bycatch(other objects), training droids, sim tickets, credit and XP and friendship points.
    If you low on any of the of them -> do the node (enough XP is the reasen why 85er usualy stop)
    If you are hardcore and have too much time -> you can even pile up sim tickets

This is a try to get the point, without using any maths, hope this helps as a rough guid.

Thanks Aachthor:
    Rough hints if you want to use your crystals efficiently:
    buying farmable violett gear usually is a bad idea
    farming gold gear is a bad idea
    Post edited by Tantema_Garnik on
  • iAmRyC
    144 posts Member
    Options
    Kaytub wrote: »

If you are running your own Guild and not having energy requirements then you're not doing maximum raids and getting the coveted gear that goes with it.
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    Options
    Buying a cuff vs. farming one for 50/50 refreshes isn't a great value. However if you do 50/50 refreshes daily to farm gear, AND use any extra you accumulate to buy gear it works out better at a certain point.

I have more toons sitting at 7*/level 1/gear 1 than I will ever be able to gear up in 10 lifetimes. So I cut out Cantina refreshes. My 50/50 goes to farming cuffs, and guns, and my extra crystals saved up go to better value gear. Mk 3 holos are a good value. So are the gold pieces for 750 that match up with the gold challenge gear we get tons of. And the AAT raid exclusive gear for 1250 isn't too bad. And occasionally I'll buy a cuff or gun if I really need one.

Also now that my fleet is in good shape, and I have a stockpile of Zetas, I'm starting to buy cuff, and gun salvage occasionally from fleet shipments when I have extra. Those two items are the best gear value for fleet currency. Extra fleet currency isn't hard to come by either since now I'm only buying Chirrut, Slave 1, and TIE Advanced with it, and they never show up.
  • Options
    The question is different for different people. Refreshing and farming is way to depressing. I'm done going 0/240. This is supposed to be a game and somewhat fun. I will never hit 30% much less 25% at this point with whatever bad juju I must have.

So yeah, I've figured I need t do one refresh every other day to get 600 points and if I miss a day we aren't aces in the guild.

So I save crystals and buy gear, or DN shards :smile: It's taken away the pathetic grind quite a bit. Still at th epoint where I need to use chip currency for Zeta's in addition to the challenge (I'm a bit behind) but hope to be able to use it to also buy gear soon.

I mostly enjoy the game - but the way they have the gear grind is not working with refreshes, I really do think...
    giphy.gif
    #AcolyteShootsTwice
  • JasFonz
    317 posts Member
    Options
    I spend crystals on arena refreshes. I like doing 10 battles to test different team comps and sometimes to stay in top 5. If not I buy crafted gear.
  • Options
    I might be faster, but not buying energy refreshes will definitely slow down your shard farming.
  • Options
    Alrikster wrote: »

Imo they are the best deal in the shop.

This is not true since then can be farmed on an 8 energy node and the drop rate is decent. Prob worth an occasional 100 refresh as well.
  • Options
    Most effective use of crystal is 50/50 use to farm stun cuff. Buy stun gun for 1275, furnace 5, purple disc halo proj 300crystal, and gold ball and med pack for 750.

For guild donation request hairdryer and cabanti 3 since most people will donates those since it from challenge. Do not bother requesting stun cuff, stun gun, or halo projector 3 since everyone need it and it can only be farm.
  • Options
    Once u hit 85 only use cantina refresh if you want to farm a character. Other then that use it for mod farming. Never spent Cantina refresh for mod farm since it all rng and the drop is 95% crap. Since the only mods that matters are speed arrows and speed secondary.
  • Xetal
    218 posts Member
    Options
    6 refreshes at 50 crystals each (over 3 days) is 720 energy.

720 energy gets you 90 attempts at Halo Projectors.

90 attempts at roughly a 1/3 drop rate is 30 pieces.

3 refreshes at 100 crystals each is 360 energy.

360 energy gets you 45 attempts at Halo Projectors.

45 attempts at roughly a 1/3 drop rate is 15 pieces.

It looks like 50 energy refreshes might be a good deal, but 100 energy refreshes are not... unless I'm missing something important.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options
    Juex777 wrote: »
    Sun guns are too expensive in the store

Compared to what? The stun gun prototype is 50 pieces for 1274, cheaper than a stun cuff at 1400. The full stun gun is more expensive because it also includes the carbanti.
  • Sewpot
    2010 posts Member
    Options
    What's your time worth, buying saves probably a week minimum if you have great RNG. Bad RNG and it could be way longer.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    I do refreshes, only a 50/50 but have stopped doing cantina and I save the rest for gear.