I guess I don't get the joke...

Prev1
What is the purpose of sending an ally request after defeating someone in arena? Are you trying to rub in the fact that you are good at playing against AI? Duh! Everyone wins when they are on offense. I guess it's supposed to be like an in your face but I just don't get it. Don't find it amusing or upsetting. Just mostly confused. If you do this let me know why.

Replies

• Options
    Its so you can take their power for yourself! Ive found some really powerful allies from Arena, so i welcome it. The "veiw your collection" popup on the other hand... OH BOY thats some salt in the wound
  • Options
    Its so you can take their power for yourself! Ive found some really powerful allies from Arena, so i welcome it. The "veiw your collection" popup on the other hand... OH BOY thats some salt in the wound

TBH no one around me in arena can offer a better roster than my current allies. It doesn't seem like that's why they do it lol.

• CleverWes
    648 posts Member
    Options
    Personally, I'm fairly weak in light side characters. I add someone to help myself out. Also, I tend to send if we have the same payout. It helps me to remember not to attack certain teams when we're both climbing during the same hour.
  • Options
    I used to do it. I am top 10-20 in arena and allies with most of them. They have great squads also that help me out. Never an insult more of a compliment really.

Everyone can beat everyone. That is how arena works.

See the glass half full!
  • Options
    Well they might have defeated you, but maybe they found your team to be strong and would like to profit from your toons as allies in non-PvP battles.
  • Options
    It's a benefit for both of you.
    You can beat him? Then you are probably at his level or maybe a bit better/worse.
    If you become allies you are both useful to each other as you're both strong.
    If he wasn't strong you most likely wouldn't have added him.
    If you weren't strong you wouldn't have beaten him.
  • The0n3
    984 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Yeah, i don't think ppl send this requests to "add a powerfull ally". It's obviously for the braggin'

I usually accept the request if i have room, they're annoying...
  • Options
    FYI, you can also send an ally request if you lose. Just take the invite as a sign of respect. Enough with the ****
  • MBL_66
    2465 posts Member
    Options
    My favorite is when I have invites and haven't dropped ranks lol
  • The0n3
    984 posts Member
    Options
    Which makes me wonder, why the hell would someone send an ally request after losing? It's kind of embarassing hahahaha
  • Options
    I used to do it. I am top 10-20 in arena and allies with most of them. They have great squads also that help me out. Never an insult more of a compliment really.

Everyone can beat everyone. That is how arena works.

See the glass half full!

Exactly. I've never used as an insult, more of a "great squad I want to use your characters" kind of gesture.
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    Options
    I've never heard of, or even thought of that as an insult. Win or lose if I face a strong opponent in arena, and I have an open spot I will try to get them as an ally.

If someone has a beef with someone else in their arena, and they aren't in a chat somewhere together then the usual tactic to talk smack is to change your name to something provocative aimed at that person. If you're getting bent out of shape over getting an ally request then might you be just reading something negative into it because you're annoyed at losing multiple times to the same person?
  • Options
    JacenRoe wrote: »
    I've never heard of, or even thought of that as an insult. Win or lose if I face a strong opponent in arena, and I have an open spot I will try to get them as an ally.

If someone has a beef with someone else in their arena, and they aren't in a chat somewhere together then the usual tactic to talk smack is to change your name to something provocative aimed at that person. If you're getting bent out of shape over getting an ally request then might you be just reading something negative into it because you're annoyed at losing multiple times to the same person?

@JacenRoe nope I pretty explicitly said that I am not bent out of shape about it. I've read in other spots on the forums that this is some kind of rude gesture. I could be mistaken. I honestly don't care about it I was just looking for clarification.
  • Gaidal_Cain
    1640 posts Member
    Options
    I've done it for the ally and I've done it because they keep attacking my squad before payout.

Mixed bag.

One guy in particular kept sniping lots of people on my shard. I would send him an ally request every time I beat him. If he accepted me as an ally I would remove him and send a request again.

Sometimes he would attack me, get knocked back behind the original spot he knocked me back to and then attack me again. Increbily rude to attack the same person when I hadn't messed with him.

He rarely makes past top 20 anymore so I haven't had to deal with him in a while.
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    Options
    Coolmcdrew wrote: »
    JacenRoe wrote: »

@JacenRoe nope I pretty explicitly said that I am not bent out of shape about it. I've read in other spots on the forums that this is some kind of rude gesture. I could be mistaken. I honestly don't care about it I was just looking for clarification.

Well it could be a dig, or it could be benign. See if you can find them on the forum if you want to chat with them, or add a Line ID to the end of your in game name if you have the Line chat app.
  • Asic
    1146 posts Member
    Options
    Bigger joke is that you can ally request them but not message them
  • Alrikster
    173 posts Member
    Options
    This is one of those things that depends on the person.
    Positive-minded people will likely take it as a "great squad/could use that leader as an ally" opportunity, while negative-minded people are more likely to be offended by a hypothetical insult based on a scenario made up in their head.
  • CleverWes
    648 posts Member
    Options
    Alrikster wrote: »
    Positive-minded people will likely take it as a "great squad/could use that leader as an ally" opportunity, while negative-minded people are more likely to be offended by a hypothetical insult based on a scenario made up in their head.

The glass is neither half full, nor half empty. The glass is too big.
  • Options
    It's a reminder saying, "hey your arena team just lost, go get your spot back"
  • Options
    MayAddy622 wrote: »
    It's a reminder saying, "hey your arena team just lost, go get your spot back"
    This is typically what it means for me lol
  • RacerDejak
    3203 posts Member
    Options
    Because i love to troll? :trollface:
  • Alrikster
    173 posts Member
    Options
    CleverWes wrote: »
    Alrikster wrote: »

The glass is neither half full, nor half empty. The glass is too big.

Thats a proper engineer speaking.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    haha, it's a beautifull thing.
    One guy sends an ally request because he wants to use the others guy's characters as allies, the other guy gets **** of because he thinks the first guy is undercover bragging about beating him. haha
    I've been playing well over a year and mostly against the same guys, if one of them sends me an ally request now i'm sure he's taunting me, all in good fun.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    I would gather a large majority of the requests are accidents or people sick of the pop up so send the request in hopes of you accepting them and getting rid of them.
  • Winstar
    2429 posts Member
    Options
    Whatever floats people's boats I guess. I could care less.

Since I don't have GK yet, I send ally requests to every GK squads that I face in arena. Not mocking them when I completely wreck their Jedi/Rex/Chaze squads.

• Vertigo
    4497 posts Member
    Options
    I would gather a large majority of the requests are accidents or people sick of the pop up so send the request in hopes of you accepting them and getting rid of them.

That's why I started doing it. But now we're all in a Line group chat anyways so it doesn't matter anymore.
  • Exletion
    649 posts Member
    Options

This is in fact why they did it initially. They did it without thinking of end game. This property has been in there since the beginning. It actually used to be useful. I remember thinking, golly, he has 7* characters, I want him as an ally. I can use his toons to help me beat LS 5D. Ahhh, those were the days.
  • Vertigo
    4497 posts Member
    Options
    Exletion wrote: »

This is in fact why they did it initially. They did it without thinking of end game. This property has been in there since the beginning. It actually used to be useful. I remember thinking, golly, he has 7* characters, I want him as an ally. I can use his toons to help me beat LS 5D. Ahhh, those were the days.

"Oh wow he has a 7* gear 8 sid, I could really use that, mines only 4* gear 5!"
  • Winstar
    2429 posts Member
    Options
    If you don't want ally requests don't flex with your Kenobi.

tumblr_o2d3vtJ2Sd1v7q7zgo1_500.gif
  • Options
    Arena is all about beating your competitor. There isn't any reason to be friends with someone unless you work together for payouts. I had this one guy friend me yet attacked me every single time I was ahead of him. Yeah I really want a scrub like that as a friend. Quickly deleted him. Screw people like that, they ain't using my G11 zeta toons. I reserved my allies list for my best geared guild buddies. Everyone else is my enemy.