The Whale is Facing Extinction

Replies

• Gaidal_Cain
    1640 posts Member
    Options
    Is say there is some truth in this.

Most of the whales in my shard have either quit or have stopped whaling.

May 16 shard
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Options
    sying wrote: »
    I know 4 people with a 7 star Fulcrum and I don't know many people. The whales are alive and well.

Buying one character does not a whale make. A little more inforation is needed. And as was stated above, ATF is on the cheaper side of recent heroes released.
    Are you're basically asking to have every new character be overpowered and broken? There are other ways to reward huge spending than insisting game balance should be broken over it.

That's not even close to what op was saying.
    gorjdesign wrote: »
    Let me rephrase what he wants.

He wants to be able to spend 1000 $ on a character that is only available by paying for it and be able to defeat any team with it.
    In your way of thinking you and 10 of your buddies would play on the server and I doubt you would enjoy it as much as you do now .

Nor is this.

To really paraphrase, exclusivity for a longer period of time would be nice.

I agree wholeheartedly with this. Heroes don't need to be broken or over powered. They do need to provide an edge while everyone else is scrambling to find a counter, or building their reserves of gear, credits, etc for the eventual release of said character for ftp to farm.

As it stands right now, whales get almost no advantage. Most new toons are viable at lower stars provided the right mods and gear. People who don't want to spend can just wait until the heroes become available a cheaper way. They can still gear and mod these toons, use them in arena to almost no disadvantage, and then get the last stars later.

It's not that big of a wait anymore, hence little to no advantage. Without that advantage people will stop paying. If they're not paying then there's no game.
    isnt that as much of a hyperbole as well? until recently we didn't have character unlocks at low star, we didn't have the release cadence as well. so cg chose this new economical model and are fully aware of the financial results (while we aren't). so let's cut the "for the good of he game rhetoric and instead shift it to personal desire of the whales in this topic.

imho in the grand scheme of things cg varies whim benefits from current state of the game. it won't stay at a state where f2p are able to be as competetive in every area of the game for long

• Options
    NicolBolas wrote: »
    When I see a gross exaggeration like triple cleanse being over a year old, I lose faith in the rest of the post. Rogue 1 came out in December... how can the triple cleanse meta be at year old? Rex wasn't even F2P a year ago.... During June of last year I was still farming Old Ben for his double taunt dodge meta. I remember clearly the team being Old Ben lead, Rey, Leia, RG, and STH in June.

^^This^^

People love to exaggerate to make their post seem factual.

When I seen the post on Chaze and Rex meta being over a year old I laughed. Rex became free to play just a few months ago, as did Chirrut. As a matter of fact...Rex just took over the Maul lead on the meta report just a little over a month ago.

I see this same exaggeration with people crying and hating and wanting Chaze nerfed. They make up any o' lie to try and justify their reasoning...which can simply be put because they have weak rosters, weak gear, weak mods, weak strategies. That's why they fail when fighting triple cleanse. They decided to stay in their normal raid guilds instead of getting into a better one to start on their Kenobi...oh well their loss..lol.

As for everyone else here...

As for a big roster usefulness...we already have need for farming everything. You need faction based toons to unlock and beat mod challenges from health to speed. And what about all the events we are always having? The game is only a year and a half old...it's not like as if we won't ever see a Ewok, Geonesians, Nightsister only event. It's gonna come but it just takes time to release.

Also for heroic HAAT raids...that's a reason there to farm Jawas, droids, rebels, Jedi, and empire.

Just because you don't use every single toon doesn't mean doesn't mean we won't have need in the future. Like I said this game is only a year and a half old...it's still in the noobie phase. This game makes more money than any other mobile title that EA has...that right there is proof new content is coming later. So for now farm your toons gear them up and stop exaggerating.

Cause you know...when a lobot event only comes...people are gonna cry in the forums that they didn't have enough time.

Does anybody wanna be that guy? The guy who cries cause he didn't farm the right toon?
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Options
    I think the best way for a whale to feel the power of their roster and historical whaleyness is to leave their veteran guild and go be He-Man on a new / f2p guild and smash the raids - get them to the promiseland - make a difference. Or...enjoy arena by using different comps than Chaze / GK.

Game never has been and never will be set up for the highest spenders to get too far ahead.

you know fully well how it was in cgs previous game. im pleasantly surprised this time. i came close to qutting many times, but mostly because i got bored and never because game makes credit card swiping the primary consideration.

• Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Options
    Palanthian wrote: »
    This game is built on a 3 tier system of whales, dolphins and FTP. It has historically been a balanced ecosystem, where one cannot survive without the other. The whale is becoming an endangered species, however.

The meta leader of the "Rex triple cleanse" team is over a year old, almost everyone has him. All other members of the team are farmable. As an aside, Nihilus works best on a non-Sith team, which I find a little sad!

New characters released since Nihilus have been non-meta-impacting, and even if they were they could be farmed in shipments, 8 shards at a time, by dolphins and moderate spenders after just 4 weeks. There's no significant exclusivity for buying at the top of the market.

Mods used to be the whale advantage, now not so much. Speed mods sold well to dolphins in the recent packs, now they drop 100% in challenges. I'm not complaining here, I'm really torn on this as I mostly approve of this change, but it's further narrowed the gap between whale and FTP in the arena, no doubt.

Ships ... where do I start? Whales have no advantage, period. It's a FTP paradise.

The only thing whales have is a large roster, and where is that an advantage? GW? No, 2 teams are needed at the most. Raids? Who cares after you have the featured character?

I think a few things need to be considered. New characters need a longer period of exclusivity, putting them in shipments for 33% of the initial price, while the premium packs are still on sale, is insulting (as happened with Nihilus).

Aside from this, roster size needs to play a bigger part in the game. The whale may not be popular, but to a freemium game it's an essential component of the business model.

I expect this post will attract some hate, but with a foresight buff you'll know that it's the truth.
    This game is built on a 3 tier system of whales, dolphins and FTP. It has historically been a balanced ecosystem, where one cannot survive without the other. The whale is becoming an endangered species, however.

The meta leader of the "Rex triple cleanse" team is over a year old, almost everyone has him. All other members of the team are farmable. As an aside, Nihilus works best on a non-Sith team, which I find a little sad!

New characters released since Nihilus have been non-meta-impacting, and even if they were they could be farmed in shipments, 8 shards at a time, by dolphins and moderate spenders after just 4 weeks. There's no significant exclusivity for buying at the top of the market.

Mods used to be the whale advantage, now not so much. Speed mods sold well to dolphins in the recent packs, now they drop 100% in challenges. I'm not complaining here, I'm really torn on this as I mostly approve of this change, but it's further narrowed the gap between whale and FTP in the arena, no doubt.

Ships ... where do I start? Whales have no advantage, period. It's a FTP paradise.

The only thing whales have is a large roster, and where is that an advantage? GW? No, 2 teams are needed at the most. Raids? Who cares after you have the featured character?

I think a few things need to be considered. New characters need a longer period of exclusivity, putting them in shipments for 33% of the initial price, while the premium packs are still on sale, is insulting (as happened with Nihilus).

Aside from this, roster size needs to play a bigger part in the game. The whale may not be popular, but to a freemium game it's an essential component of the business model.

I expect this post will attract some hate, but with a foresight buff you'll know that it's the truth.

Your max gear (whale paid for) will always crush the dolphin n free to play gear 7-9 toons.

• SPAstef
    52 posts Member
    Options
    Well it was about time that FTP became strong as whales in most of the places! All whales say they are "P2P", while actually are "P2W" and if they are not 100% of the time in the 1st place they start crying out... I have a lot of guildmates that are P2W, and guess what? They are on top of every raid, every Arena and every event. Making it possible for us F2P to compete with big whales (at least in Arena, that is the only place except raids where you compete) has been a good idea. It makes F2P feel like they're not being used just as puppets for making whales actually play (win). I saw lot of games becoming too whalish and then loosing their free base, and eventually also the whale side. So I don't blame EA or CG at all this time! And if some cringy whales are not ok with it, well... Carry on with your lives.
    May the Force be with you, always.
  • Options
    While I agree a deep roster should be rewarded and whales really aren't rewarded now, I don't think they are close to being extinct. This game is going to last for many years.

I agree with OP though - something that rewarded roster depth would be nice - we've been asking for that seems forever.
  • Options
    No_Try wrote: »
    I think the best way for a whale to feel the power of their roster and historical whaleyness is to leave their veteran guild and go be He-Man on a new / f2p guild and smash the raids - get them to the promiseland - make a difference. Or...enjoy arena by using different comps than Chaze / GK.

Game never has been and never will be set up for the highest spenders to get too far ahead.

you know fully well how it was in cgs previous game. im pleasantly surprised this time. i came close to qutting many times, but mostly because i got bored and never because game makes credit card swiping the primary consideration.

Roster depth was wasted there too - but yes meta shifts were insane fast in HODA -.... offset by really OP runes though that could allow older vintage teams to still win generally...until magister Dorian / FH anyway.
  • Güd
    21 posts Member
    Options
    I have to disagree with the "extended exclusivity" point. I think for a F2P player or even a dolphin, they suffer the most with the current way of business practice. I personally think that the gap between "Pay for this character" and "Grind of this character" needs to be shorter, maybe by two months. Whales will buy a pack the day that pack is releases and will 7* a that toon instantly. So theres no need to keep an exclusive toon P2P for 3 months. It's annoying trying to play catch up with the meta when a new character pack comes out. I think it's crazy how people can pay for a toon, max them out, and then instantly dominate the meta. And for those who aren't able to, or can't justify spending money on this game get left behind in the arena, which is aurgueablely the most essential aspect of this game.

Instead of complaining (I know, you said you weren't.....but you are.) about how the game isn't treating whales properly, maybe complain about the stupid, and now, worthlessness of the mod shop, and it's overpriced and unreasonable prices on mods. That shop has 1 dot mods in there, and no one can tell me they're still using 1 dot mods. Or maybe complain about how ships DOES have a pay to win aspect about it because of the ships you can ONLY get through those ship pack. Or maybe complain about how there is RNG in the packs that you buy in the store. Complain about other things than "Treat us whales better". I have no sympathy for whales. Staaaph it.
  • Options
    maybe i'm misunderstanding the post from the OP but the meta is formed by the players. players find this insanely good combination and everyone jumps on the band wagon.

i feel like the OP is suggesting the dev's haven't done a good enough job promoting the meta. i don't think it's the dev's job to supply or promote the meta at all. quite the opposite i would think the dev's would be promoting diversity. they don't want every player using the same 5 toons.
  • sying
    982 posts Member
    Options
    it won't stay at a state where f2p are able to be as competetive in every area of the game for long

That's funny to me because I was f2p for a long time and I was pretty competitive. I know plenty other f2p players who consistently outperform paying players.
  • Vertigo
    4497 posts Member
    Options
    it won't stay at a state where f2p are able to be as competetive in every area of the game for long

That's funny to me because I was f2p for a long time and I was pretty competitive. I know plenty other f2p players who consistently outperform paying players.

Paying doesn't automatically make you smart and resourceful. Only if you go full on kraken can you eliminate the need to be resourceful, but the first one can't be bought.
  • Options
    We need a new game mode desperately is pretty much the only truth here. People bought ATF and it was wayyyyyyyyyy less than Phoenix or Krennic/Death. They seem to have upped the odds; ATF probably averaged out around $250 vs. $400 in other instances. But people who have invested thousands are a) not about to stop playing and b) not going to stop spending.
  • KVLOM3
    88 posts Member
    Options
    This greedy whale that has money to burn wants more advantage over other players. Thanks for thinking about the other 90% or so people that play this game that can't drop a fortune on this game.
  • shampoo
    442 posts Member
    Options
    I like it. Saves me a lot of money.
  • Options
    Every single person that disagrees with this post is wrong.
  • Mr_Sausage
    1869 posts Member
    Options
    I don't see this as complaint by the OP. I was thinking about this the other day. Why would I want to spend money after recent history.

Phoenix squad. What a disaster. There was a few complaints by people who geared them up and 7* them. Why would they want to spend money after that?

Kylo Rens ship. Another disaster. Spend $$ to unlock it. No further way to get it and it is rotting on the benches because it is not viable at 4* in high end arena. More wasted $$. Why would I spend $$ after that??

Imperial troopers/Krennic/Gar Saxon. They can't crack the current meta. They might be fun to play but I'm assuming whales wouldn't spend $$ on a GW team. Why would I spend $$?

I'm FTP and I see less incentive than ever before to spend $$. That's the message I got out of the OP.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Options

well i do too ( still f2p). though by the nature of the beast we are a minority and a high payer can still come out on the top in most situations. they have the upper hand adapting to situations insta gearing full squads, on new raid releases and occasionally op toon releases. ie rex was unacqirable for longest time, chase shorter. and even with new all toons for everyone at low stars will prove not as good for f2p when the next raid arrives. there is give and take and cg tries to strike a balance where it caters to everyone. t'was my point.

• Palanthian
    1262 posts Member
    Options
    When I see a gross exaggeration like triple cleanse being over a year old, I lose faith in the rest of the post. Rogue 1 came out in December... how can the triple cleanse meta be at year old? Rex wasn't even F2P a year ago.... During June of last year I was still farming Old Ben for his double taunt dodge meta. I remember clearly the team being Old Ben lead, Rey, Leia, RG, and STH in June.

^^This^^

When I seen the post on Chaze and Rex meta being over a year old I laughed. Rex became free to play just a few months ago, as did Chirrut. As a matter of fact...Rex just took over the Maul lead on the meta report just a little over a month ago.

I see this same exaggeration with people crying and hating and wanting Chaze nerfed. They make up any o' lie to try and justify their reasoning...which can simply be put because they have weak rosters, weak gear, weak mods, weak strategies. That's why they fail when fighting triple cleanse. They decided to stay in their normal raid guilds instead of getting into a better one to start on their Kenobi...oh well their loss..lol.

As for a big roster usefulness...we already have need for farming everything. You need faction based toons to unlock and beat mod challenges from health to speed. And what about all the events we are always having? The game is only a year and a half old...it's not like as if we won't ever see a Ewok, Geonesians, Nightsister only event. It's gonna come but it just takes time to release.

Also for heroic HAAT raids...that's a reason there to farm Jawas, droids, rebels, Jedi, and empire.

Just because you don't use every single toon doesn't mean doesn't mean we won't have need in the future. Like I said this game is only a year and a half old...it's still in the noobie phase. This game makes more money than any other mobile title that EA has...that right there is proof new content is coming later. So for now farm your toons gear them up and stop exaggerating.

Cause you know...when a lobot event only comes...people are gonna cry in the forums that they didn't have enough time.

Does anybody wanna be that guy? The guy who cries cause he didn't farm the right toon?

A total lack of reading comprehension from yourself and the guy you quoted. I said:
    The meta leader of the "Rex triple cleanse" team is over a year old, almost everyone has him. All other members of the team are farmable.

The LEADER, Rex, is over a year old and a dinosaur in game terms. He's been farmable in some form since 2016, virtually everyone running triple cleanse is bored sick of him, but it's currently the best offensive team in the game.
  • Vertigo
    4497 posts Member
    Options

^^This^^

A total lack of reading comprehension from yourself and the guy you quoted. I said:
    The meta leader of the "Rex triple cleanse" team is over a year old, almost everyone has him. All other members of the team are farmable.

The LEADER, Rex, is over a year old and a dinosaur in game terms. He's been farmable in some form since 2016, virtually everyone running triple cleanse is bored sick of him, but it's currently the best offensive team in the game.

Since 2016.... You mean for 6 months. Let's not make it sound like it's been a year and a half when it's been more like half a year ;). It's also not currently the best offensive team in the game, it's the best defensive team in the game which is why everyone uses it. Because that way they drop less overnight. It's one of the easiest teams for the AI to use because it just needs to spam AOE cleanses and AOE cooldown increase or just 1 shot the enemy of your choice.
  • Gamorrean
    2745 posts Member
    Options

This is just like "Everybody have chaze now, so I can't finish #1 alone anymore"

At least I hope you whales can agree that chaze was a bad choice ;)

• Palanthian
    1262 posts Member
    Options
    Gamorrean wrote: »

This is just like "Everybody have chaze now, so I can't finish #1 alone anymore"

At least I hope you whales can agree that chaze was a bad choice ;)

Sure, I'll agree with that. There are counters to Chaze, they are very beatable, but their potency on defence - and the fact that they take up two squad places - has resulted in a stagnant meta where the best team is always Chaze + GK + leader + wildcard.

The best leader is boring old Rex who counters everything (including mods) and the wildcard falls to the last OP toon released, Nihilus. So here we are with over half of the teams in the top 20 running slight variations of the same team. Everyone can beat everyone and everyone can be #1.
  • Options
    Isn't good that anyone with enough brain can beat anyone else ? You have to be good to be number 1 and not just pay for it.
  • bitmoji
    143 posts Member
    Options
    Plus one hundred basis points, bored and frustrated whale checking in. Why all new characters have to be not good enough to bother with, but i still have to buy them to keep my collection score high? Sucks!
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    instead of arguing about the little stuf i will just agree.
    Simply not enough room to gain a competative advantage. Not only for p2p but even for f2p. From my own f2p perspective i'm even asking myself why should i gear character x, i don't need character x, character x is worse than my already maxed characters. So i guess it's way worse for whales. (+ the fact that this game is very f2p friendly and very whale expensive)
    Fortunately they said somewhere that something is comming that requires the use of our entire roster, so i'm still hopefull.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • RacerDejak
    3203 posts Member
    Options
    2586f6cf-13e6-43b4-8877-23ad2945f178.png
  • mlb1399
    674 posts Member
    Options
    GK(l), Chaze, zDN, zzR2 crushes that team. Wiggs, zzR2, GK and ATF crush them as well. It's a good lineup but not something that can't be beat
  • Pfleurs
    106 posts Member
    Options
    Even high investments make no one a good player. There is more to it. EA & CG are happy about their money. EA & CG do not guarantee that they are the best. hahahaha :D
  • Options
    Whales will have guild vs guild soon. Use your whole roster and ships for that.