The Whale is Facing Extinction

Replies

• Azraelrulez
    1908 posts Member
    Options
    I'm no whale but I did initially spend a bit, to stay competitive, arena, then the rancor etc. Right now I don't need to spend at all, haven't needed to for quite a while. 3 star toons being enough as it is and no new meta changing toons.

Of course I'm happy about the above, who's gonna complain about free stuff, right?

Just wondering though, is it good for the game in the long run? Will EA/CG keep putting in resources for us F2P badge carrying guys? Doesn't affect free loaders who play the game and change to another if they can't adjust to the pay or grind. But there are F2P guys invested in the game, all that farming, hoarding, planning etc. Like I said in my opening statement, I'm no whale but I'm cool with the occasional pack, crystal subs etc. to keep up. Except I don't need to purchase even that now. That doesn't sound good, financially, for the game. Financial viability is what will keep the game afloat.
  • Juex777
    968 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    It's a pretty reasonable post actually. It's not that most f2p players are in a position to go head to head with whales however, percentage wise..... Except maybe in ships. If you're not earning enough crystals in arena, you can't progress very quickly and the gear bottleneck will really hang you up.

Some major new game content is needed. There's rumor the new game mode is going to be about deep rosters. Hopefully all players can have some fun in it though. There needs to be more content for everyone. The long term players are going to get bored to a danger zone if they're isn't more to do soon.

The mods in my experience, although 100 percent drop rate...... Do not favor speed whatsoever. I have spent a lot of energy on mods since the update and if anything have gotten fewer decent mods with speed on them than before. I've been farming mods almost exclusively for a month and got better speed drops before the update.

Six weeks doesn't seem unreasonable for content to drop in shipments, as it takes a few weeks more to raise stars for most players after that and it takes a mini whale to do that with multiple toons at one time. It seems like gear is the main source of income.

• Mzee
    1777 posts Member
    Options
    Part of the problem is that Rex, and chaze, and now Kenobi (easily farmable for those wishing to get into a HAAT guild) have no zetas yet have been the meta for a while now. Baze is also perfectly viable in arena at only a measly 3*. Other squads to be competitive at the top end of arena need multiple zetas.

I place a lot of blame on plug in and play characters. Rex has no synergy with Chaze, and then throw in Kenobi, Nihilis, and R2, and nope, no synergy. Would be better if players were penalized more for not sticking to factions.
  • Azraelrulez
    1908 posts Member
    Options
    Mzee wrote: »
    Part of the problem is that Rex, and chaze, and now Kenobi (easily farmable for those wishing to get into a HAAT guild) have no zetas yet have been the meta for a while now. Baze is also perfectly viable in arena at only a measly 3*. Other squads to be competitive at the top end of arena need multiple zetas.

I place a lot of blame on plug in and play characters. Rex has no synergy with Chaze, and then throw in Kenobi, Nihilis, and R2, and nope, no synergy. Would be better if players were penalized more for not sticking to factions.

Agreed. We were just discussing this in our guild. Old shards, the search for something fresh is quite real.
  • Mol_Kelly
    259 posts Member
    Options
    An individual raid would be kinda cool, where people with large rosters can finish it sooner and reap more benefits....
  • Lithalan
    153 posts Member
    Options
    @Palanthian Well said. Day after day I watch most of my roster sit on my bench and rot. There's absolutely nowhere to use them. Raids are somewhat pointless now. Ships are a ftp playground. There's no amount of money you can spend that gives any kind of advantage.

GW is a 1-2 team stompfest with two useless nodes at the end. Arena has reached a level of parity so you can't even identify whales anymore unless they happen to try and be different using one of the new characters. The Rex led teams are an infection. I'm so tired of fighting Chaze. So simple to beat, but people cling to them like a crutch.

There is no point spending money on the game anymore. I love the new Ahsoka but looking back, I could have waited since she makes absolutely zero overall impact on arena or raids. Like @shampoo said earlier, it'll save me a lot of money anyway. I'm done spending going forward unless there's some real, game based incentive for it.
  • Options
    Palanthian wrote: »
    gorjdesign wrote: »
    Troll ?

Anyone who's read my previous posts knows better than that. Deadly serious.

its true too, its not a troll because the game is supported by whales. without them there would be no reason to keep the game running, and nothing to pay for the servers.
  • Jonsolo32
    154 posts Member
    Options
    lol it's like we dropped a microphone into the ocean and pressed record on this thread.
  • Jonsolo32
    154 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Georgemi6 wrote: »
    IMG_27411.jpg
    Oh waaah.
    +1000
    The reason we don't see fixes to broken characters is because the whales complain about farming them to maintain first place. Please get over yourself.
  • Juex777
    968 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    The whales feed the game the most..... You don't need to be a whale to get the "broken toons" just determined. This game needs more content. Rosters need a chance to be taken off the bench. And although it should never be pay to automatically win..... Whales need a genuine incentive to keep spending.
  • Rizn
    246 posts Member
    Options
    Level increase plus a new raid would show the gap again. I agree the gap is much smaller than ever before.
  • Options
    I think the best way for a whale to feel the power of their roster and historical whaleyness is to leave their veteran guild and go be He-Man on a new / f2p guild and smash the raids - get them to the promiseland - make a difference. Or...enjoy arena by using different comps than Chaze / GK.

Game never has been and never will be set up for the highest spenders to get too far ahead.

That would be the definition of epic
  • STRIKEBOMB
    1232 posts Member
    Options
    I'm telling you guys, a Grievous rework will fix everything :)
  • JG44D2
    79 posts Member
    Options
    What people fail to see is all these "QoL" updates are to quiet the storm that is about to happen. Because out of all the new toons only DN is worth anything and most people have him by now. You see an occasional R2, FAT, etc. here and ther but no one is game changing.

Whales will have the advantage in whatever it is; Guild v Guild, a new raid, 6* mods, etc. Whatever it is, it will leave only a few to achieve it for a while. Just like GK. Remember the cries? Geez these forums were covered in tears. We can't get past phase 2 but we finish the rancor so easily. Please Nerf it, cry, cry, cry.
  • Options
    The setup of releasing new characters is the most beneficial to whales as it's ever been. The rest of us have to wait a couple months to farm the new characters, which is significantly longer than gap in most other games. The reason this game has been successful for so long is because of their proficiency in freemium model; whereas other games separate free players from paying ones, SWGOH allows free players to wet their tongue and join the fight a short while after the paying ones do. Every other mobile game dies because certain parts of the game are inexcessible to free players.
  • Options
    Zooey wrote: »
    A new game mode that rewards deep rosters would be good for the game as a whole. I'm not close to a whale but I enjoyed tournaments for their emphasis on deep rosters and creative use of undervalued toons. We need more game content, not more toons.

Agree on the deep roster point. I think this is the solution to a lot of "problems". Weekly FACTION PVP!!
  • Osisiv
    172 posts Member
    Options
    Juex777 wrote: »
    The whales feed the game the most..... You don't need to be a whale to get the "broken toons" just determined. This game needs more content. Rosters need a chance to be taken off the bench. And although it should never be pay to automatically win..... Whales need a genuine incentive to keep spending.

Very true and well said.

There is no reason for whales to spend right now. And they aren't.

Arena: Team quality no longer matters. An account with only 5 G11 toons can beat a $20,000 account easily. Results are managed by players colluding to decide winners on top of that.
    Raid: GK is old stuff. Rewards are weak. Also allowing 7-8 million from one zeta lowers the importance of developing deep rosters.
    Ships: Worse than arena with defense. Results are manipulated by players colluding as well.
    Cadence: No reason to spend top dollar when prices drop dramatically in 4-5 weeks. Or become free in 12.

Shouldn't it be easy to explain the benefits of spending to get ahead? I don't see a single reason to. It honestly looks like a game made by FTP players to troll whales.
  • Options
    Is it true when a whale speaks it sounds like loud crying/whining and you can hear them miles away even under water?
  • Options
    Osisiv wrote: »
    Juex777 wrote: »

Very true and well said.

There is no reason for whales to spend right now. And they aren't.

Arena: Team quality no longer matters. An account with only 5 G11 toons can beat a $20,000 account easily. Results are managed by players colluding to decide winners on top of that.
    Raid: GK is old stuff. Rewards are weak. Also allowing 7-8 million from one zeta lowers the importance of developing deep rosters.
    Ships: Worse than arena with defense. Results are manipulated by players colluding as well.
    Cadence: No reason to spend top dollar when prices drop dramatically in 4-5 weeks. Or become free in 12.

Shouldn't it be easy to explain the benefits of spending to get ahead? I don't see a single reason to. It honestly looks like a game made by FTP players to troll whales.

So having to wait months until a character becomes accessible to all is not enough for you ? You want to only be available for people that pay for it ? That is a fast way to kill a game and I'm pretty sure EA doesn't want to follow the example of other games that failed .

Go away troll !
  • Options
    True that but I assume luke will fix that will bring back light side - ahsoka and r2 have a great potential

• pac0naut
    3236 posts Member
    Options
    Let me chime in here.

I'm a semi whale. I never whaled out on one single character until I saw the video of Fulcrum. Most of my crystals were spent on gear and refreshes. We all saw Fulcrum basically ohko tanks and such. We whaled up, got her and were extremely disappointed with her performance and then a few things came to surface such as all the video makers getting gameplay clips WITHOUT getting to play her. Clips were totally set up, most likely with God level mods. Even most of the best mods aren't pulling a ohko on Baze or GK after testing her. We feel that it's pretty much a bait and switch from what we saw vs what we got. We never got to see the opponents levels or mods.

The release cadence is great for f2p, however, most whales no longer feel enticed to spend. Short of DN, how many characters released are solid in arena? Most whales are more concerned with arena vs any other aspect of the game. Now, it does not mean that these characters won't be viable in other aspects of the game, but for all intents and purposes they are pretty much terrible. When's the last time you saw anyone use Phoenix, Gar Saxon, imperial super commander or any of these other new releases short of sass or dn in any comp anywhere?

Bottom line is we were shown one thing and it's not as advertised. Personally, I'm never doing that again. @Jedi_Reach_ showed someone in his shard with a LOW LEVEL triple cleanse team taking out others at a much higher level with the same team. What's the point of spending anything if whales no longer have an advantage? That's a bad thing for the ecosystem. If people are going to drop that much coin on a character, they'd better be op af.
    Meanwhile, down on the farm....
  • MrGrips
    521 posts Member
    Options
    gorjdesign wrote: »
    Just for your info . The profits of this game have increased considerably, so your theory about whales dying is not valid or doesn't matter much anymore .

There are a lot more casual people that spend money. I for example spend at least 20 $ per month. So it is like a subscription for me and I am not expecting OP characters in return.
    I do expect cool events and better accessible gear but for all players and not just for myself .
    +100
    This post invalidates the OP completely.

Heres an example of something someone who likes spending a little might say, (CGs market now) to illustrate the point.
    shampoo wrote: »
    I like it. Saves me a lot of money.

I like it too.
  • STRIKEBOMB
    1232 posts Member
    Options
    I hear all this arguing while I keep humming to myself "GG will save us, GG will save us all."
    Note: I'm not a whale :)
  • Vertigo
    4497 posts Member
    Options
    STRIKEBOMB wrote: »
    I hear all this arguing while I keep humming to myself "GG will save us, GG will save us all."
    Note: I'm not a whale :)

GG is available in fleet shipments though... not quite as hard to obtain as before, he's about on par with Chirrut in terms of farming speed now. GG won't save us all....
  • Osisiv
    172 posts Member
    Options

Spenders need a reason to spend and there are no reasons to right now. Without spenders you don't have a game.

Arena is all organized by discord and is a FFA anyway without defense. Raids are pointless. There are no exclusive characters even from day 1 of any new character's release. Characters aren't any good recently either.

• Options
    Well I knew there'd be those out there that would understand and those that wouldn't. I'm not asking for dominance in arena because I spent a bit. I'm asking for the fact that I'm a player who has gotten a diverse and deep roster over a long period (Dec 14 shard) to have a way to be rewarded for that. If it's a game mode or some other way that's cool.
    Some in here are getting it, there has to be incentive for spenders to keep doing it, another Chaze setup is not it. I don't see anyone asking for OP toons just an appreciation for keeping this game ftp for the rest of you.

Try to see it from a reasonable perspective.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Options
    Palanthian wrote: »

The meta leader of the "Rex triple cleanse" team is over a year old, almost everyone has him. All other members of the team are farmable.

False.
  • Vertigo
    4497 posts Member
    Options
    Roguesaber wrote: »
    Well I knew there'd be those out there that would understand and those that wouldn't. I'm not asking for dominance in arena because I spent a bit. I'm asking for the fact that I'm a player who has gotten a diverse and deep roster over a long period (Dec 14 shard) to have a way to be rewarded for that. If it's a game mode or some other way that's cool.
    Some in here are getting it, there has to be incentive for spenders to keep doing it, another Chaze setup is not it. I don't see anyone asking for OP toons just an appreciation for keeping this game ftp for the rest of you.

I believe the new game mode they're working in on right now could be something that will reward deeper rosters, but maybe I just heard it wrong in the podcasts. Anyway, I think that kind of game mode would be the best way to go about rewarding deeper rosters without making arena anymore unbalanced.
  • Options

Sure, and there are other ways to reward large spenders. They can take it in many directions whilst keeping a healthy arena balance. Lessons learned. :smile:
  • HorishBathens
    631 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

Sure, and there are other ways to reward large spenders. They can take it in many directions whilst keeping a healthy arena balance. Lessons learned. :smile:
    [/quote]

I think they should just reward them with custom skins and titles, like other successful games out there.