People judged the empire pass too quickly.

Replies

• leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    blind hatred for chaze clouds judgement.
    that said, i haven't got my empire team to work better on offence and defence than my previous squad (that didnt have chaze though).
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Olddumper
    3000 posts Member
    Options
    @Skykraker I'm sorry but your post is an embarrassment. Ofc every shard is different what rock have you been hiding under. You obviously pay no attention to overall arena trends and I can't comment on the strength of your shard but I can surmise it must be fairly boring and backward if you haven't seen anyone using a Wedge lead in 12 months.

@Olddumper This is interesting, those Thrawn teams had already been flagged up by a guildmate and it definitely has massive potential. What @Skykraker fails to realise is that most developed shards have their own chats where people discuss the finer points of the team comps and how they fare on defence. My guildmate gets to talk to people that have faced his team who tell him it is infinitely harder than his triple cleanse or Rebel/Fatz comps etc etc.

Only caveat is that it's new. Often new comps gain traction in the short term because they may require minor adjustments to tactics or mods to deal with. My resources have taken a real bashing recently but I for one will be at least putting a little more effort into Empire.

I think skykraker know about the level of testing and collusion that goes on. What I don't think he knows about are the poor squads and delusion. So many squads have become what I call "refresh hero's" they think they're squad is amazing because they can take 1st climbing from the 30's each day, just because they have a heal heavy team the AI doesn't know what to do with. Then when the switch to a squad like empire they go "my shard is too to tough to hold on D". We need to run op Chaze on my shard or your toast. The truth is they need to run Chaze because their mods are poor and they need healing counter attackers. It has nothing to do with the fact their shard was started January 2016.

• Options
    @Tatebomb

Could I ask what speeds you're running at? I can get +105 or so max but after that I'm limited to about +90 for others. Do you think this would be enough? Also what turn order do you run?
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    IdraRage wrote: »
    I think it's because many expected the Empire pass to put an end to the Rebel era- not to just make Empire competitive.
    Accurate statement.

The playerbase here is, on the whole, pretty dumb. They see no problem with fixing what they perceive to be broken by taking the thing that they love and make it even more broken.

Competitive is what we want.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Vertigo
    4497 posts Member
    Options
    Vertigo wrote: »
    I have a couple Zader teams that do well. I'll post them in a sec
    Too lazy to post all here's the gallery all in the top 20
    https://imgur.com/a/Hjs5W

@ItsJarJarBinkz Do you have any teams w/o GK? Just wondering who would fit well there as I don't have GK yet but kinda wanna try a Zader setup after I gear Thrawn. Also Krennic is out of the question as well lol. I have Chaze, but the whole point of going to Zader is that I wouldn't be using Chaze but if I have to I could run Zader, Chaze, Thrawn, DT or Nihilus or someone else.

One and instead of GK it's Palpatine at rant 28.

Thanks, I'll have to play around with it a bit
  • Tatebomb
    797 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    @Tatebomb

Could I ask what speeds you're running at? I can get +105 or so max but after that I'm limited to about +90 for others. Do you think this would be enough? Also what turn order do you run?

https://swgoh.gg/u/tatebomb/

I have pretty good mods. Thrawn goes first and I usually tm swap with DT so he can aoe dispel followed by DN force drain. Then Thrawn goes again and I fracture someone. Once someone dies deathtrooper just dominates.
  • Options
    DV was creeping up with a fast SA and taking out the R2 / Wedge / Chaze / GK / DN / Rex mixed squads even before Thrawn. My LB was in transition and 4 DV leads had popped up in the top 10 and were giving Chaze users a lot of fits (I've used DV as a lead almost exclusively since R2 hit). Tarkin's rework was legit - he should be considered elite in the game overall. He's elite in arena and he's elite in raids. Thrawn just seemed to have busted it open and really put Chaze / Rex / R2 / GK etc. in the corner. We've had multiple Chaze users and Rex lead users switch to Empire leads.

To a degree, it's become a bit of a mod / speed race again. That would sound like it's Rex time, ... but it's not happening here with the CD increases / Stuns / debuffs, etc. I think Rex's stats are also finally catching up to him. If you have trouble with a debuff team 1,000,000 times out of 1,000,000 Thrawn as your lead is >>> Rex by far.

Rex / Chaze is not dead, but I'm confident in saying that those DN / Chaze / Rex / GK / R2 / Wedge / Ahsoka comps are now no longer the tip top of elite. In fact, in the top 10, they are now a bit of the easy target. They are also getting pushed down pretty quick. Actually seeing a very diverse meta overall...but there's absolutely been a shift. HOPE is on the way though...
  • JVU420
    429 posts Member
    Options
    Polarice wrote: »
    I think you will find it subjective to your shard/leaderboard. Im on the September 2015 shard and those that are running thrawn can punch up into top 10 just like most teams on offense. On defense those same teams still get dropped anywhere down into the 50s.

This game came out on Nov 2015.
  • Options
    As an empire lover couldn't be happier with Thrawn; an answer to gk an pretty much everything but maul... But throw in r2 when going against maul. This is the most diverse arena I've seen in the 10 months I've been playing. 7* Thrawn was 1,000,000% worth it
  • Options
    @Tatebomb -- how do those speeds compare to your shard? Is your Thrawn faster than the rest of the non-zQGJ teams?
  • Options
    @Tatebomb -- how do those speeds compare to your shard? Is your Thrawn faster than the rest of the non-zQGJ teams?

Most of them yes. Wedge teams and zaul teams still go first but shoretrooper can handle the first hits.
  • Options
    Tatebomb wrote: »

Most of them yes. Wedge teams and zaul teams still go first but shoretrooper can handle the first hits.

Any chance you have some videos of fights? I'd be interested to check it out.
  • Tatebomb
    797 posts Member
    Options
    Tatebomb wrote: »

Any chance you have some videos of fights? I'd be interested to check it out.

No clue how to take video much less upload them.
  • Mzee
    1777 posts Member
    Options
    Riffinator wrote: »
    Mzee wrote: »
    Empire pass was for the month of May. Thrawn came out after the pass. Everyone thought pass was done, and understandably so. But, if Thrawn is giving Empire more arena presence then that is cool by me. Sick of Chaze.

No thrawn was the end of the pass

Technically yes, but everyone thought the pass was done, before they announced Thrawn over a week into June as May was being treated as the Empire pass, and so when May ended we all thought it was over. That's why everyone was disappointed and judging too early.
  • Options
    Olddumper wrote: »
    I think you will find it subjective to your shard/leaderboard. Im on the September 2015 shard and those that are running thrawn can punch up into top 10 just like most teams on offense. On defense those same teams still get dropped anywhere down into the 50s.

People need to stop acting like most of the shard are different now. Most shards everybody at the top has 100 plus toons unlocked and we all started mods at he same time. For all I care they could merge all the shards.

The only difference in my shard after the pass is that most of the Maul users switched to cleanse. There is only 1 empire team in top 50, soon(ish) to be 2 once I finish developing mine.
    In my shard the pass is irrelevant, and judging by the meta report my shard is not the exception.

Also it doesn't matter how good of a product something is if almost nobody uses it!
  • Check_It
    376 posts Member
    Options
    It's a new team so people aren't geared to handle it. The ones I see on my server are fun and easy to go against now that i understand them!
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options

People need to stop acting like most of the shard are different now. Most shards everybody at the top has 100 plus toons unlocked and we all started mods at he same time. For all I care they could merge all the shards.

The only difference in my shard after the pass is that most of the Maul users switched to cleanse. There is only 1 empire team in top 50, soon(ish) to be 2 once I finish developing mine.
    In my shard the pass is irrelevant, and judging by the meta report my shard is not the exception.

Also it doesn't matter how good of a product something is if almost nobody uses it!

can't really fault the product for not being used if it is actually good.
  • Options
    leef wrote: »

But you can blame the producer.
  • Options
    But the question then is why is nobody using it? I think the answer is accessibility, not quality. I would rather be using an empire team right now. The reason I'm not is because I don't have one yet. The meta will slowly shift as people get these new characters (many of which are very difficult to acquire). Newer players will chase empire first now as much as they will chase rebels. It just needs time to balance out a little bit.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options

Why? it still a good product. I blame the consumer ;)
  • Gaidal_Cain
    1640 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    But the question then is why is nobody using it? I think the answer is accessibility, not quality. I would rather be using an empire team right now. The reason I'm not is because I don't have one yet. The meta will slowly shift as people get these new characters (many of which are very difficult to acquire). Newer players will chase empire first now as much as they will chase rebels. It just needs time to balance out a little bit.

I agree. I am running Empire and the main reason most of shard mates of mine aren't running Empire (the ones I chat with anyways) is that they don't have all of the required characters geared up to make a successful squad.

Many of them are just as tired of running the squads they do as I am tired of fighting them.
  • JohnnySteelAlpha
    2794 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

That's a huge part of it. Massive transitions in teams takes time. Except for maybe GK - and he's not optimal even - the move to a DS / Thrawn team from a LS GK / Chaze / R2 / Rex, etc squad takes time and resources due to being totally different heroes. Veteran shards where players have resources and can move fairly quick will see it and have been seeing the shift. Right now my top 20 consists of the following leads:

1. Jinn
    2. Tarkin (prior: Rex)
    3. DV (prior: Rex)
    4. DV (prior: GK / DN in a Chaze / R2 comp)
    5. DV (prior: GK / DN in a Chaze / R2 comp)
    6. Rex
    7. Tarkin (prior: GK / DN in a Chaze / R2 comp)
    8. Rex
    9. Thrawn
    10. Rex (classic 3x cleanse no R2)
    11. DV
    12. Jinn
    13. GK (Chaze / R2/ DN)
    14. Rex (classic 3x cleanse no R2)
    15. Rex (classic 3x cleanse no R2)
    16. DN
    17. Rex
    18. GK
    19. Rex (Chaze / R2 / DN)
    20. Rex (classic 3x cleanse no R2)

Now, there's still a good number of Chaze and Rex leads there, but notice how they are pushed more to the 11-20 rather than in the top 10 and especially 5. There's actually only ONE Chaze combo currently being used in the top 10 at all and it's at 10. In the parenthesis above for the top 10 I put what some of players in the top 10 ran prior to the DS shift that started happening a bit before Thrawn was released. 3 Gk / Chaze / R2 teams switched and 2 other Rex led teams switched as well. In the 11-20 section the parenthesis note what the squad is currently for context.

The last shift this stark in contrast was when Rex / Cleanse pushed out Maul. I doubt most shards will get to this point ever though. You need multiple veteran players that have roster flexibility to move a shard like that. If only 1 or 2 guys switch and the rest camp on the same team, it's status quo - but when you get 4/5+ people radically changing team comp and it gives others problems, then they too have to look at switching in order to get results.

I'll also add, Thrawn is being used in the rank 2, 3, 4, 7, 8, and 9 squads above (so he's in one Rex team even).

Really this is what good balance looks like. Light side v Dark side is darn near parity and you can use multiple versions of toons in those factions to get there.

Thrawn is a stud. Tarkin is a stud. DV / SA / DN are awesome. Jedi are great. Rex is still good. Chaze is still great. Shore is solid now. TFP and RG can even get some run. Have at it in arena folks.
  • Options

Simple, is their fault that they didn't make their product,no matter how good , attractive enough.
    Like you acknowleged most people have no real incentive to change their teams so most of their work in this year was in vain.
    Simple enough, while I will change my team to return to empire all my shardmates I am in contact plan to continue using the same team, so I will have to fight the same team as before, and that makes this pass in my eyes a failure. So from my point of view it was judged correctly.
  • Options
    Best thing about the pass was the Imperial Trooper changes. Veers rocks now with troopers.
  • BulYwif
    1977 posts Member
    Options

Simple, is their fault that they didn't make their product,no matter how good , attractive enough.
    Like you acknowleged most people have no real incentive to change their teams so most of their work in this year was in vain.
    Simple enough, while I will change my team to return to empire all my shardmates I am in contact plan to continue using the same team, so I will have to fight the same team as before, and that makes this pass in my eyes a failure. So from my point of view it was judged correctly.

You can't judge of the success of a pass just because YOUR shard doesn't turn all to Empire. There's a lot of variety now in most of shards as specified @JohnnySteelAlpha, also in mine. A new arena team takes time to develop. I'm farming Imperial troopers for a while now and most of them are 6-7* with gr 8-10, so not ready for arena. I've just zeta'd Veers and he's great with his troopers in GW. I also need to gear Thrawn, but if you're not a whale, a month is not enough for such project.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options

how is it in vain if you're changing back to empire? That just doesn't make sence to me. The pass just adds another option to use in arena, wich is a win in my book. That players won't use empire is their own choice, it surely is beter than being "forced" to use a certain faction you don't like because you want to be competative isnt it?
  • Options
    Newer players will chase empire first now as much as they will chase rebels. It just needs time to balance out alittle bit.

Not really. Krennic and Shoretrooper are close to impossible to get for newer players using dark teams, I know from experience, besides buying overpriced shards compared with the Rogue 1 ones. For EP and Thrawn you need fully developed rebel teams. DT and RG are harder to farm than the rebels from cantina (higher nodes) . Veers is also too long of a farm for newer players.
    Lastly the empire needs multiple zetas, hard to get by newer players, to be effective.
  • BulYwif
    1977 posts Member
    Options
    Newer players will chase empire first now as much as they will chase rebels. It just needs time to balance out alittle bit.

Not really. Krennic and Shoretrooper are close to impossible to get for newer players using dark teams, I know from experience, besides buying overpriced shards compared with the Rogue 1 ones. For EP and Thrawn you need fully developed rebel teams. DT and RG are harder to farm than the rebels from cantina (higher nodes) . Veers is also too long of a farm for newer players.
    Lastly the empire needs multiple zetas, hard to get by newer players, to be effective.

Baze is also impossible to farm for a beginner, Chirrut also since fleet store is not directly accessible. R2 is locked behind Empire and is key now for LS teams, from Jedis to Rebels and Resistance. It's just a matter of choice even if I agree that shards price must be the same now between Krennic, ShT and Baze (even if I never buy those shards).
  • Options
    I don't think anyone judged the pass too soon. I see thrawn in my arena, and he's not on empire teams. Hes on chaze/GK teams. Thrawn should lose 20% of his stats for every rebel ally. He isn't here to destroy chaze, he's here to join them. All thrawn does is provide them yet another way to keep their DN alive to destroy you.

Most of the thrawns I am seeing are behind another lead that isn't empire. So someone has a young easy shard. But throwing thrawn on an empire team isn't fixing anything. Not to mention the mass rise in Zqgj teams I am seeing now. So much for empire pass.
  • Syrath
    129 posts Member
    Options

That's a huge part of it. Massive transitions in teams takes time. Except for maybe GK - and he's not optimal even - the move to a DS / Thrawn team from a LS GK / Chaze / R2 / Rex, etc squad takes time and resources due to being totally different heroes. Veteran shards where players have resources and can move fairly quick will see it and have been seeing the shift. Right now my top 20 consists of the following leads:

1. Jinn
    2. Tarkin (prior: Rex)
    3. DV (prior: Rex)
    4. DV (prior: GK / DN in a Chaze / R2 comp)
    5. DV (prior: GK / DN in a Chaze / R2 comp)
    6. Rex
    7. Tarkin (prior: GK / DN in a Chaze / R2 comp)
    8. Rex
    9. Thrawn
    10. Rex (classic 3x cleanse no R2)
    11. DV
    12. Jinn
    13. GK (Chaze / R2/ DN)
    14. Rex (classic 3x cleanse no R2)
    15. Rex (classic 3x cleanse no R2)
    16. DN
    17. Rex
    18. GK
    19. Rex (Chaze / R2 / DN)
    20. Rex (classic 3x cleanse no R2)

Now, there's still a good number of Chaze and Rex leads there, but notice how they are pushed more to the 11-20 rather than in the top 10 and especially 5. There's actually only ONE Chaze combo currently being used in the top 10 at all and it's at 10. In the parenthesis above for the top 10 I put what some of players in the top 10 ran prior to the DS shift that started happening a bit before Thrawn was released. 3 Gk / Chaze / R2 teams switched and 2 other Rex led teams switched as well. In the 11-20 section the parenthesis note what the squad is currently for context.

The last shift this stark in contrast was when Rex / Cleanse pushed out Maul. I doubt most shards will get to this point ever though. You need multiple veteran players that have roster flexibility to move a shard like that. If only 1 or 2 guys switch and the rest camp on the same team, it's status quo - but when you get 4/5+ people radically changing team comp and it gives others problems, then they too have to look at switching in order to get results.

I'll also add, Thrawn is being used in the rank 2, 3, 4, 7, 8, and 9 squads above (so he's in one Rex team even).

Really this is what good balance looks like. Light side v Dark side is darn near parity and you can use multiple versions of toons in those factions to get there.

Thrawn is a stud. Tarkin is a stud. DV / SA / DN are awesome. Jedi are great. Rex is still good. Chaze is still great. Shore is solid now. TFP and RG can even get some run. Have at it in arena folks.

I just want to point out you crafted an argument when you took a ranking that fits your argument. Really how many of those Rex teams move from 15 to 1 at their payout pushing the other teams down? Unless your are saying those teams cannot move up to rank at payout? Otherwise what's the point of taking this snap shot then crafting a large statement around the rank at that time? It's always changing hour to hour I am sure there's an hour where more Rex leads are in the top 10 pushing other down. IDK I don't understand the point of it this is why the meta report is useful it isn't a snap shot in 1 payout time. It would be nice to have our shards 24 hour pay out ranking the top 5 every hour that would provide some actual value.