Thrawn Lead Ruined with AI "Upgrade"

Prev1
Palanthian
1262 posts Member
edited July 2017
When attacking a team with a zeta'd Nihilus unique (which applies health down at the start of each of your characters' turns, common in most top 10 teams)...

With the OLD AI and a fast Thrawn, he opens the match by swapping TM with Death Trooper, then Death Trooper sends in his AOE increasing the cooldowns of the opposing team. A solid start to any match.

Now, with the NEW AI, Thrawn swaps TM with Death Trooper who then just cleanses his health down debuff instead of attacking. First turn advantage is lost, the opposing team laughs and then proceeds to destroy the team.

I would honestly invest in a zeta for Thrawn's lead just to REMOVE the cleanse ability, it paralyses any Thrawn-led team with the constant cleansing activity (a job which can be done by GK's AOE far more efficiently).

@CG_Kozispoon if this was genuinely an attempt to improve Thrawn's AI, rather than a nerf, then it has failed spectacularly. Please revisit the cleansing and consider when it should be used, very few debuffs are worth wasting an entire turn to cleanse. Thrawn leadership is now a complete liability.

If this was in fact a nerf to Thrawn (as if he needed one) then it's working as intended.

Replies

• leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    this would be hilarious if it wasn't so gosh darn anoying. Haven't tested it myself but i trust your observations. The DT TM swap was a nice strategy that worked decently for me on defence. I changed my team yesterday to see if another strategy worked, wich it didnt, but switching back to the DT TM swap won't work anymore either. awesome..
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    This is good to know. It makes him more valuable as support than rather than lead. I'm 6 carbantis(3 weeks?) away from being able to add him to my Zader squad. I've yet to fight one in arena, but the 5 guys(way higher than me), who were running Zader have switched to Thrawn lead. It will be interesting to see if they switch back.
  • Palanthian
    1262 posts Member
    Options
    This is good to know. It makes him more valuable as support than rather than lead. I'm 6 carbantis(3 weeks?) away from being able to add him to my Zader squad. I've yet to fight one in arena, but the 5 guys(way higher than me), who were running Zader have switched to Thrawn lead. It will be interesting to see if they switch back.

Thrawn's lead is the direct counter to that Vader squad (I call it Vadawn) - it works until people realise that Thrawn neutralises the fast SA start completely (and, even before that, it only worked if you had the fastest SA).
  • Options
    That's terrible.
  • Maraxus
    821 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    people zeta him while he works fine then they break his lead...

@CG_Kozispoon can you either fix the lead

Thanks
  • Options
    @CG_Kozispoon - can there be any logic added to the AI under his lead? Round 1 the TM swap and who you put it to is crucial - it could be fixed just by saying that characters won't use the cleanse on their first turn. The zeta lead you gain protection when losing effects, it doesn't make sense to worry about healing until later in the match.
  • Cloud24
    206 posts Member
    Options
    hes even more perfect not everyone use him as a lead i like the new update
  • Striker
    198 posts Member
    Options
    Thrawn has a very difficult mechanic, which directly depends on the player action and choises. It will be hard to balance Ai that should know when to use fracture first, which target choose, or make a TM swap, or else.
  • Vampire_X
    1435 posts Moderator
    Options
    moved to bugs section, will pass this up as no one is going to respond today as its holiday today. while this is reviewed lets keep language off inflammatory button.

Wicked Sith Queen with the Pink Saber
  • Xioborg
    405 posts Member
    Options
    Thrawn was an exciting lead, first in a while. Great thought has been put into him, thank you Devs!

I believe the challenge is that health down is applied at 'start of turn', whereas Thrawn's cleanse is applied prior to their turn, so even if a toon has immediately been cleansed (by Thrawn) that toon can be immediately debuffed again (vs. zDN) before they take a move. With the change to AI mechanics, they now immediately cleanse rather than using a special as mentioned above.

Potential options could be to apply the cleanse after the TM swap i.e. TM swap, start-of-turn, Thrawn cleanse, or put the AI logic back which seemed to enable the toon to use its special if called in this manner.

Xio
  • crzydroid
    7301 posts Moderator
    Options
    That sucks. But the AI will never be good. So now there's one instance where the AI became worse, but it's in response to people complaining about the previous AI. I also find it interesting that you point out that GK has a better cleanse, when Thrawn came out because people were complaining for months about wanting a ds cleanser. So I feel like one side is overlooked. They will probably never un-nerf Jyn, so I would doubt if they change this back.
  • Josh_K
    1150 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    While most of the other ai changes were good, prioritizing cleanse over critical abilities is terrible. Shoretrooper rather than trying to taunt in t1, cleanses instead for instance. This is extremely detrimental. Imo the previous iteration of AI is preferred simply considering this change alone, when considering Thrawn lead. Please make this one change, keep the cleanse only if a debuff is present but do not prioritize it over regular abilities. Thanks!!
  • eVader
    9 posts Member
    Options
    I agree with the above, please address this anomaly. It's very frustrating to put a team together that has any chance to defend, and then see stuff like this happen. It sadly puts your team instantly on its heels. After all the time and investment most of us went through for Phoenix to get him, this is leaving a bitter taste in the mouth... Otherwise, thanks for such a cool toon.
  • Options
    It's hindered my defence because ShT needs to use cleanse as much as possible so you can heal and taint quickly while you pick off the rest. Dropped 25 places since the leadership change although some of that will be down to people developing tactics. They need to adapt ShT AI for this tactic
  • Options
    Yeah, like you're getting a response.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    Yeah, like you're getting a response.

to be fair, the adjustment was a response to players saying thrawn is horrible on def.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Josh_K
    1150 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    The update notes also do not mention that Maneuver is now prioritized over all other abilities (only Thrawn's fracture is excepted) when a debuff is present. The previous behavior was distinct from this where all other abilities would fire first before Maneuver was used. The annoying part was that the AI would use Maneuver even if there was no debuff present.

With the latest change, which is not mentioned in the notes (the priority part) this is a complete deal breaker for Thrawn leads. Shore doesn't put taunt up, deathtrooper doesn't use his grenade to CD increase when debuffed at the critical start of the battle. Considering zDN is a common factor in like 60% of top arena teams this is not something to simply overlook. Comments from shard mates changed from "Very difficult" to "Easy" overnight.

@CG_Kozispoon please raise this to the team to review! The majority of the changes are good, but this particular one needs to either be rolled back (if the technology does not allow it) or the AI has to deprioritize Maneuver. Many have invested zetas into Thrawn's lead which are now devalued if it is a liability on defense.
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    Options
    Nerf Darth Nihilus.... Problem solved.... ;)
  • Nebulous
    1476 posts Member
    Options
    scuba wrote: »
    Nerf Darth Nihilus.... Problem solved.... ;)

Outside of this ai error, id still agree dn needs to
    Be redone.
  • Options
    Well, not to get off topic on this thread, but that is certainly a conversation worthy of having debate over. Ever since he's been introduced, arena just hasn't been about team synergy as much as it is about who can kill who's DN first. I miss the days of having teams win because of true synergy and/or from superior mods. Nowadays 5* teams can easily make their way into the top 10 as long as DN is maxed.
  • Options
    Registered just to +1 this issue. This is a massive nerf. I never use maneuver in arena, only in multi-stage battles like GW when I want to set up turn meter for the next fight. It's very rarely the highest priority action, even compared to a basic attack. Disabling this ability on defense altogether would be preferable to having too so spam it to clear a single DOT. Please come up with a better solution, one that doesn't leave arena teams in free fall.
  • cheater
    12 posts Member
    Options
    Actually the setting of AI in pvps is nothing but fraud. Shamefully EA deems this 'fair'. What a joke of this century!
  • Mzee
    1777 posts Member
    Options
    eVader wrote: »
    Well, not to get off topic on this thread, but that is certainly a conversation worthy of having debate over. Ever since he's been introduced, arena just hasn't been about team synergy as much as it is about who can kill who's DN first. I miss the days of having teams win because of true synergy and/or from superior mods. Nowadays 5* teams can easily make their way into the top 10 as long as DN is maxed.

Personally, I don't see Nihilis as the problem so much. With how difficult it can be to get Chaze down, I find Nihilis kind of a blessing although if the opponent's Nihilis goes first then it is often game over, so I agree with you that it can turn the tide a little too much. As a Nihilis lead user I mainly see Chaze as to blame. If Baze didn't taunt so much then it wouldn't be so bad, but he taunts whenever any one dies, and when Chirrut goes below 100% health. Sith Trooper's aoe will trigger Baze's taunt since it ignores protection, and same with Sith Assassin if you try to stun Chirrut. Nihilis is also the only one with a dispell, which is his basic, and this isn't much to work with against all the taunting, and buffs in general that Chaze, Rex, and Kenobi bring to the table. R2 D2's cloaking device just makes it worse when is in the combo. On top of that most Chaze combos also have a Nihilis in their team. I see it as quite imbalanced when light side have so many mass cleanses, and mass dispells. What do Sith have? Savage cleanses just one target at the end of his turn by taking the debuff himself, but that's it. I prefer teams with synergy. Unfortunately, the triple and quad cleanse teams are just hybrid teams cause Chaze, and Rex lead are so powerful and work in any team.
  • Onark
    104 posts Member
    Options
    +1 for the OP

• crzydroid
    7301 posts Moderator
    edited July 2017
    Options
    eVader wrote: »

You mean the days of Landawiggs when the "strategy" was to one-shot everything and the person who had a faster Biggs/STHan won?
  • SunFacYou
    52 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I
    Post edited by SunFacYou on
  • gregg12
    31 posts Member
    Options
    +1
  • Palanthian
    1262 posts Member
    Options
    @CG_Kozispoon is this under investigation? Why put all that work into Thrawn and ruin his leadership AI?
  • Options
    Can you at least make the countdown to nerf timer on new releases visible to players?
    "and i will show you ... where the iron crosses grow..."
  • Onark
    104 posts Member
    Options
    Had to switch to GMT for now. It's a shame they ruined one of the best leads in the game.

Please fix!