Why does Scotch (Whiskey) taste like Asphalt

Prev1
Enye164
267 posts Member
All Scotch whisky was originally made from malted barley. In 1703, the famous Jovi One Bonovi, a renowned Commercial distillery, began introducing whisky made from wheat and rye.

Scotch whisky is divided into five distinct categories: single malt Scotch whisky, single grain Scotch whisky, blended malt Scotch whisky (formerly called "vatted malt" or "pure malt"), blended grain Scotch whisky, and blended Scotch whisky.

The reason why they taste like asphalt is sometimes specified by the term "crude bitumen", its viscosity is similar to that of cold molasses, while the material obtained from the fractional distillation of crude oil boiling at 525 °C (977 °F) is sometimes referred to as "refined bitumen.

The oak barrell might have been suspected to contain such sediments, and when melted barley, wheat and rye are fermented in this fashion, the oak barrels' asphalty sediments mixes with the entire process, hence, Scotch (whiskey) tastes like Asphalt.

the end.

Replies

• Options
    You know what asphalt tastes like???
  • Enye164
    267 posts Member
    Options
    yes. like whisky. duh.
  • Enye164
    267 posts Member
    Options
    lol
  • Options
    Lol
  • Enye164
    267 posts Member
    Options
    scotch scotch scotch! down into my belly!
  • Ztyle
    1970 posts Member
    Options
    I have tasted both, and no Whiskey aka Scotch does not taste like asphalt(maybe some homemade does) but definitely none of the Whiskey I drink
    I'm Danish , Leader of the Space Slug Alliance , living the SlugLife , My collection
  • Options
    Ztyle wrote: »
    I have tasted both, and no Whiskey aka Scotch does not taste like asphalt(maybe some homemade does) but definitely none of the Whiskey I drink

Whiskey is Irish.
    Whisky is Scotch.
  • Ztyle
    1970 posts Member
    Options

Whiskey is Irish.
    Whisky is Scotch.

And I'm using autocorrect and don't give a hoot about a misspelling, as long as someone who have an IQ above 95 gets my point
    I'm Danish , Leader of the Space Slug Alliance , living the SlugLife , My collection
  • Options

Whiskey is Irish.
    Whisky is Scotch.

And I'm using autocorrect and don't give a hoot about a misspelling, as long as someone who have an IQ above 95 gets my point

You'll definitely get in trouble with the Scots then.
  • Ztyle
    1970 posts Member
    Options

Whiskey is Irish.
    Whisky is Scotch.

You'll definitely get in trouble with the Scots then.

Bring them on, I'm Danish, so we drink, fight, drink, fight...............
  • Ztyle
    1970 posts Member
    Options
    @AnakedJaywalker
    I actually just noticed the headline for the thread have the same error, but his text only has the error when he uses the headline as a punctuation for his statement
    Hurray for auto correct :joy:
  • APX_919
    2468 posts Member
    Options
    Enye164 wrote: »
    All Scotch whisky was originally made from malted barley. In 1703, the famous Jovi One Bonovi, a renowned Commercial distillery, began introducing whisky made from wheat and rye.

Scotch whisky is divided into five distinct categories: single malt Scotch whisky, single grain Scotch whisky, blended malt Scotch whisky (formerly called "vatted malt" or "pure malt"), blended grain Scotch whisky, and blended Scotch whisky.

The reason why they taste like asphalt is sometimes specified by the term "crude bitumen", its viscosity is similar to that of cold molasses, while the material obtained from the fractional distillation of crude oil boiling at 525 °C (977 °F) is sometimes referred to as "refined bitumen.

The oak barrell might have been suspected to contain such sediments, and when melted barley, wheat and rye are fermented in this fashion, the oak barrels' asphalty sediments mixes with the entire process, hence, Scotch (whiskey) tastes like Asphalt.

the end.

I thought these were also peated, that being the chief difference between whisky and whiskey.
    "Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen...mostly"
  • Enye164
    267 posts Member
    Options
    nah, the "Whiskey" thing was just to get trollers interested. No autocorrect :) we gotta include everyone to increase awareness!!

Make America whisky again!
  • Enye164
    267 posts Member
    Options
    Whisky, why u taste so bad 66% of the time it works everytime
  • Enye164
    267 posts Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • Enye164
    267 posts Member
    Options
    cheeers
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    Options
    Aberlour a'bunadh (unfiltered/cask strength) tastes sweet. Almost like a mild chocolate cherry aftertaste.

Balvenie double wood 12 yo is mildly sweet, fruity, and oaky.

Glenmorangie 18 yo is sweet, and spicy.

Lagavulin 16 yo tastes heavily smoked. It's like drinking an old BBQ grill but in a good way.

Laphroaig 10 yo is smokey, and salty, and very intense. Kind of medicinal. An acquired taste, but definitely a favorite of mine.

Bunnahabhain 12 yo is smokey+sweet. A bit milder and cleaner that the Laphroaig.

Definitely haven't tasted any that are like asphalt. But then, I don't drink that cheap, nasty, blended swill. Maybe if I choked down some Dewars, or Johnny red. :s
  • Options
    I can't believe someone knows what Asphalt tastes like.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I can't believe someone knows what Asphalt tastes like.

Things usually taste the way they smell
  • Enye164
    267 posts Member
    Options
    Johnny Red is cheaper yea.. nasty.

but in all seriousness, Balvenie &Lagavulin taste wonderful. I guess its different for everyone.
  • Options
    I hear Whisky is nice with a little splash of water? this is new to me!!
  • Options
    Gotta drink that old no7 Kentucky bourbon
  • Options
    APX_919 wrote: »
    Enye164 wrote: »

the end.

I thought these were also peated, that being the chief difference between whisky and whiskey.

So tastes like peated asphalt? That quite a palate you have there... peedin asphalt sounds more like "swill" that a refined drink of sophistication.
  • Options
    update!! i recently tried that Double Black Label by JohnnyWalker &Sons, its smoother and not at all asphalt-tasting!
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

maybe it was a bad batch of asphalt.
  • Options
    Kyno wrote: »

maybe it was a bad batch of asphalt.
    :D Hands down the funniest thing I have read tonight. Well played @Kyno.
  • Options
    Is Jovi One Bonovi some sort of distant relative of Obi Wan Kenobi
  • Options
    cousin ,twice removed
  • Hannibal_Bexus
    620 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    There is a difference between whiskey (Irish or American) and whisky (Scottish), but, i cant remember what it is. Maybe its asphalt.
  • pilargol
    2 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    It is possible that by the barrel, but not every Scotch whiskey tastes like asphalt. With the popular very like Chivas Regal, I could drink all the crates of this whiskey.
    The only thing I could change to crate whiskey is Rl cratess, generally they do not taste like asphalt, and they are also good. I used to drink Chivas, but after chivas I also like other whiskey. I like most games like RL (Rocket League) and buy RL crates on Odealo https://odealo.com/games/rocket-league
    Post edited by pilargol on