2Next

Replies

• Options
    Enye164 wrote: »
    yes. like whisky. duh.

Haha
  • Options
    Ztyle wrote: »
    I have tasted both, and no Whiskey aka Scotch does not taste like asphalt(maybe some homemade does) but definitely none of the Whiskey I drink

Whiskey is Irish.
    Whisky is Scotch.

What is the difference? Even the name sounds similar
  • Gaidal_Cain
    1640 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    The difference in the drinks, to me, is very similar to the differences in their accents.

Irish whiskey is lighter and more delicate in flavor. It hits the front of your mouth and tongue very much like the Irish accent comes off of the front of the tongue.

Scotch whisky is stonger, more in your face. It's a bit more brash and especially with peated scotch whisky, it really hits the back of your mouth and throat. Scottish accents tend to come more from the back throat.

Try imitating the accents and you'll see what I mean ;)

OP, I've got about 5 different bottles of scotch. I haven't found the asphalt yet, but I won't stop trying them until I find it!
  • Options
    go for the gold Gaidal_Cain!! we believe in you!

i do agree with the assessments on the difference between Whiskey and Whisky.

The one with the "e" is elegant and the one without the "e" is an aqcuired taste.
  • Options
    I can't believe someone knows what Asphalt tastes like.

You obviously never had your face shoved into the ground as a kid ;)
  • Options
    The biggest difference in Irish vs Scottish is the type of still. Irish is generally made in a Coffey still, whereas scotch malt is made in a pot still. Scotch is generally distilled two times, Irish is three.

Irish also take their spelling from Gaelic, where in Scotland we drop the E.

On the flavour part, there is little difference, it all comes down to quality and type. Each distillery has totally different styles of still, making lighter or heavier malt, but you rarely now get a regional type. E.g used to be peated came from Islay, now even balvenie comes in peated and you don’t get more speyside than balvenie.

Maybe the asphalt taste is an American thing? Like in some cheap Chardonnay where they pour in oak chips to make it taste barrel aged......maybe they wash it over a dirt track to make it more gritty and original?
  • Options
    Yup, 'Murica! we like the taste of dirt.
  • Options
    didnt say it tasted terrible, just said it tastes like Asphalt..

2017!!

Happy Holidays OffTopicers!!
  • Options
    Hey. Happy holidays enye. May the force be with you next year
  • Options
    2018 !!! we maaaade iiiit! Happy New Yeaaaaar offTopicerssss!! Here’s to more crystals and a DarthRevan someday soon!
  • Options
    Enye164 wrote: »
    2018 !!! we maaaade iiiit! Happy New Yeaaaaar offTopicerssss!! Here’s to more crystals and a DarthRevan someday soon!

Indeed my friend!