So...collusion isn't cheating?

Prev1
Let me preface his by stating I am aware how hypocritical this is going to sound but I'm frustrated so here goes. I got kenobi and started pushing into the top 20 and even top 10. Made it to number one although not at my payout. I started looking around for shard chats and finally found mine. Today I messaged asking how it worked for tops spots. I figure I'm the new guy I better play by the rules. No response I get sniped and locked out and then get told that there is a different chat where they decide who gets what spot and that I am not invited. This is a serious flaw in a game. Whales and guild mates can log jam the top and screw over the little guys. (Relatively f2p have spent maybe $60 over the life of the game) I am completely hosed here can't do anything about. I'm positive nothing will be done by anyone at EA or CG Althouhh I do have names and screenshots of the conversation once again I know I'm a hypocrite but this seems unjust and outrageous. Best fix? Give rewards for whatever spot you make it to each day.

Replies

• Options
    Technically, you could argue it is against the TOS.
  • Options
    Technically, you could argue it is against the TOS.

Right but it's been happening for ages and is discussed openly here. Clearly there is no fix for it.
  • Options
    Coolmcdrew wrote: »
    Give rewards for whatever spot you make it to each day.

This
  • Options
    I feel your pain lol ... try looking at it this way, it will force you to build a better team, it'll just take time.

It's definitely a loophole but, as I've been told numerous times, "they're looking into a fix"... that said, I can't think of an easy solution. Unfortunately, you can't just give everyone rewards for the highest rank achieved. That would actually hurt us, as players, more than help. It would actually kill arena and any motivation to build newer/better teams...
  • Faa
    123 posts Member
    Options
    Happened to a guild member as well, they've been sniping him for days and when theyve had issues beating his squad, they decided to get him on their discord.

All of this could have been avoided, if CG decided to hide their names/ally code/guild name so nobody can get in touch with each other.
  • Options
    @WrathofCaedus I have as good a team as anyone else. That's the problem with all things being equal right now. I prefer anyone beating anyone but it leaves the door open for this.
  • Options
    While it sucks that people are behaving badly, the problem isn't shard chats, most of which are pleasant, easy going affairs that allow players to relax at payout times.

The problem is people who behave like the OP describes, and there's no real fix for, well, I can't say it but it ends in holes.
  • Options
    So you took number one but not at your payout and you are wondering why your shard chat won't play nice with you?

I finish top 20 if I'm lucky. Top 30 on average. I'm in my shard chat. They are all reasonable people and have actually helped with my progression with good advice. I'm not competing for a top spot and I am still in the chat. I don't hit people outside my payout. I use my 5 battles during the hour leading up to my payout.

There is zero that EA or CG can do about this. Third party apps are used for communication so they can't stop it. If you hadn't potentially sniped people at their payout outside of your own payout they would probably have invited you to the chat. But you decided to take the number one spot outside of your payout. I'm not surprised they don't want you in the group.
  • Options
    @WrathofCaedus I have as good a team as anyone else. That's the problem with all things being equal right now. I prefer anyone beating anyone but it leaves the door open for this.

Without going into details I'd bet money I've got it just as bad, if not worse... just keep changing things up and farming mods... keep defense in mind, if you fall to many ranks then make a change. Work on your payout timing, and plan on spending 50 to 100 crystals to take rank 1 in a competitive payout. That's what it takes to "clock block"...
  • Options
    xanderxman wrote: »
    So you took number one but not at your payout and you are wondering why your shard chat won't play nice with you?

I finish top 20 if I'm lucky. Top 30 on average. I'm in my shard chat. They are all reasonable people and have actually helped with my progression with good advice. I'm not competing for a top spot and I am still in the chat. I don't hit people outside my payout. I use my 5 battles during the hour leading up to my payout.

There is zero that EA or CG can do about this. Third party apps are used for communication so they can't stop it. If you hadn't potentially sniped people at their payout outside of your own payout they would probably have invited you to the chat. But you decided to take the number one spot outside of your payout. I'm not surprised they don't want you in the group.

You highlighted his point perfectly.
  • Options
    Some shard chats limit the numbers. So if you weren't in at the right time, you are screwed. I know a few people.
  • Options
    Faa wrote: »
    Happened to a guild member as well, they've been sniping him for days and when theyve had issues beating his squad, they decided to get him on their discord.

All of this could have been avoided, if CG decided to hide their names/ally code/guild name so nobody can get in touch with each other.

That's an easy fix. They should reshuffle and hide that info. Then it would be a legit battle.
  • Options

There is absolutely nothing helpful in this comment at all... maybe you'd be singing a different tune if you were actually trying for rank 1... then let's see how nice and reasonable your shard mates are... of course they're reasonable, you're not competition...
  • xanderxman
    505 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

True. But I also made a point of my own. I don't understand people who take number one outside of their payout. There is zero benefit to it. That is the most contested spot on the leader board. If you aren't going to get the reward for the number one spot, why take it?

I'm going to assume that someone on his shard was going to payout and lost the spot. People get sensitive to that and if there is an active shard chat they generally work together to block people that snipe outside of their own payout. Yes, there are shards that lock up top spots regardless. It's what happens when the payout disparity is what it is in a game like this.

My shard tries to actively recruit people into the chat so they can rotate the number one spot. Those not in the chat don't finish at number one. It may not be what people want to hear but it is the truth.

• Options
    It's only a problem if you're on the outside looking in... just like the NFL ;-)
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    our shard chat is like a guild more than anything. we hang out and talk and theory craft. we work to not hit each other outside of our hour. in our hour we play the game, we lock in, we battle. but all in good fun.

i was just shown someone elses "rules" for shard chat, and one was " you can't get into shard chat unless all the people in your payout agree to let you in". I was floored.

the goal of our group is to make as many people reach best payout possible. take the biggest piece of the pie we all can. I didn't realize this was not the goal of a shard chat.

There is nothing EA/CG can do about this. They shouldn't change to a participation reward, the competition is all that keeps this going.

I'm sorry to hear about that. Maybe you can find one friend, you really only need one person to lock in with and trade at payout. might be mutually beneficial.
  • Options

True. But I also made a point of my own. I don't understand people who take number one outside of their payout. There is zero benefit to it. That is the most contested spot on the leader board. If you aren't going to get the reward for the number one spot, why take it?

I'm going to assume that someone on his shard was going to payout and lost the spot. People get sensitive to that and if there is an active shard chat they generally work together to block people that snipe outside of their own payout. Yes, there are shards that lock up top spots regardless. It's what happens when the payout disparity is what it is in a game like this.

My shard tries to actively recruit people into the chat so they can rotate the number one spot. Those not in the chat don't finish at number one. It may not be what people want to hear but it is the truth.

True, but plenty of ppl use remaining battles after payout... he said he hit rank 1, not that he stole a payout... you're making that assumption. The point is he's tried to communicate and work with others and been shut out... and its much more likely that the "elite" don't deem him worthy of communication. It happens to plenty of ppl when they first hit top ranks...
  • Options

Actually I took it before I was able to find the chat. Once I did I was more than willing to play by their rules. Unfortunately their rules are kick rocks lol

• WompWompRat
    1833 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Hitting people outside of your payout, esp if it's at a competitive hour that affects others, is just asking for trouble
  • Options
    Hitting people outside of your payout, esp if it's at a competitive hour that affects others, is just asking for trouble

Once again this was pre shard chat.
  • Options

True, but plenty of ppl use remaining battles after payout... he said he hit rank 1, not that he stole a payout... you're making that assumption. The point is he's tried to communicate and work with others and been shut out... and its much more likely that the "elite" don't deem him worthy of communication. It happens to plenty of ppl when they first hit top ranks...

I'm making the assumption that he sniped someone at payout due to the fact that the others in his shard chat don't want him in there. Can't imagine a shard not wanting someone who can take first not being invited to a chat in order to coordinate things. Unless the chat feels like they were someone that snipes.

• Osik
    235 posts Member
    Options
    i wouldnt want to be number one at payout because ppl let me have it, it ruins the competitive nature of arena, id much rather take number 100 than be handed number 1...
  • Options

I'm making the assumption that he sniped someone at payout due to the fact that the others in his shard chat don't want him in there. Can't imagine a shard not wanting someone who can take first not being invited to a chat in order to coordinate things. Unless the chat feels like they were someone that snipes.

It happens all the time, whether you can imagine it or not. New top rank players often need to "prove" themselves first. If he actually jumped someone's payout they could still communicate and make sure he didn't do so again. I'm not convinced the OP knows the difference between just hitting rank 1 & actually taking rank 1. Either way, a single occurrence shouldn't be reason to completely shut someone out...
  • Options

It didn't even matter really, you could have taken first within your payout and the result would have been the same, because you weren't part of the colluding group when you took it. And, it's entirely possible you could have been told the same thing if you had tried to join the group prior to hitting first.

Collusion is never an issue for the people that take part, but has a negative impact on overall game enjoyment for those that don't or can't.
  • Options
    Faa wrote: »

That's an easy fix. They should reshuffle and hide that info. Then it would be a legit battle.

Agreed, a good fix for the future but those already established would still be in contact. They can't just shuffle shards up at this point...
  • Options

It didn't even matter really, you could have taken first within your payout and the result would have been the same, because you weren't part of the colluding group when you took it. And, it's entirely possible you could have been told the same thing if you had tried to join the group prior to hitting first.

Collusion is never an issue for the people that take part, but has a negative impact on overall game enjoyment for those that don't or can't.

+1 couldn't agree more...
  • Options
    Gavstar wrote: »
    My advice, be persistence.
    Yes, you're the new guy. You probably have the same payout as someone already in the chat.
    The Chat group will go against you, because - you're the new guy. They will use their spares, or advance early against you. You will unfortunately need to ping pong with them - if you lose, they also need to lose. Trust me, no one likes to use a 50 to refresh unnecessarily - not even whales.

During your payout:
    Use the double jump tactic from top10 - it means you'll need a good offensive team and timing.
    It will cost you, 50 for battle (5) refresh, maybe multiple 50 for timer reset, and some days, even 100 for another battle (5) refresh. It will cost you in the short-term, and it could take weeks.

Be persistence, no one likes to be pay-locked to their device worrying about being sniped.
    But, if you do it enough times to be an issue for them, the goal is to cause enough frustration for them to eventually invite you.

Against the chat opponent(s):
    Workout when all of their payouts are.
    !!!Avoid sniping them!!!
    Rather hit them - 20mins before hand, and give them a chance to re-take rank1. It will annoy them.
    But they won't hate you totally. If its a tight group of friends (in the chat), then unfortunately its going to take a longer time.

Look to your team's defenses:
    Take note of which teams they use to bump you. Having a better defense against those teams will frustrate them.

Once you in the shard chat, have a laugh about the ridiculousness of it all!
    But in the end - mission accomplished!

I ruined this possiblity by calling them all out for being so dumb...oops.
  • wisenuts
    561 posts Member
    Options
    Start a new discord chat. Fight fire with fire!
  • Gavstar
    214 posts Member
    Options

Not at all. You'll be surprise what can be forgiven.

• Options
    Gavstar wrote: »

Not at all. You'll be surprise what can be forgiven.

I also angrily left the chat?