All Star Wars movies ranked -- [DEV RESPONSE]

Replies

• Options
    The Force Awakens was the most disappointing SW movie for me by far.

Complete lack of originality. Blatant plagiarism of ANH in its main storylines. Profanities such as Finn using a lightsaber, or Rey self-teaching herself how to use the force by "focusing".

And I'm sure JJ Abrams will be spoiling Empire Strikes Back for the next movie because he/disney just want to re-build a fan base with the youth and think reheating the original trilogy will do the trick.

I expect First Order to win big in the next movie.

JJ Abrams isn't the director for TLJ mate, they're following the Marvel template with a different director for each film. Rian Johnson is directing if I remember correctly.

@Darth_Julienus1

Thx didn't know that - I hope the ripoff party will be less likely then.
  • Options

Complete lack of originality. Blatant plagiarism of ANH in its main storylines. Profanities such as Finn using a lightsaber, or Rey self-teaching herself how to use the force by "focusing".

And I'm sure JJ Abrams will be spoiling Empire Strikes Back for the next movie because he/disney just want to re-build a fan base with the youth and think reheating the original trilogy will do the trick.

Well, a lightsaber is just a fancy sword. You don't actually have to be a jedi to use it. If I was walking down the street and saw a lightsaber on the ground, I could pick it up and turn it on, and if I had been trained in melee combat like FN-2199 would have been, I probably could make a go of it as well, before also being sliced down the back by a superior swordsman. :)

For Rey, I just assume she's always been force sensitive, and has probably been subconsciously relying on The Force since she was stranded on Jakku by <spoiler removed> to hide her from her Snoke because her parents are actually <spoiler removed> and <spoiler removed>. So it's not a stretch for me to assume she's been using the Force without knowing it all along, and now that she's been introduced to the world and has seen what Ben can do, as well as all the legends she's heard about Jedi ... I can totally buy it.

Of course, my mileage varies from yours here. :)

Let's agree to disagree :smile:
  • Rapid
    421 posts Member
    Options
    I'm really shocked rogue one is getting so much love. Not that it's a bad movie but no where near the top imho.
  • Options
    1. Revenge of the Sith
    2. RO
    3. Empire Strikes Back
    4. Return of the Jedi
    5. Phantom Menace
    6. A New Hope
    7. Attack of the Clones
    8. The Force Awakens

Reasons as to why I chose this order -
    ROTS is flawless(duh),
    Rogue One is the only one that made me actually feel something, especially when all the main characters died.
    Empire Strikes Back introduces Yoda(obviously),
    Return of the Jedi The good guys win,
    Phantom Menace, first introduction to the cooler Lightsaber fights.
    A New Hope probably would've been at the bottom, but it's still the very first movie and I like all of the actors.
    Attack of the Clones - It was.. eh.. there was some action, but probably the only 2 scenes that intrigued me were Yoda vs Dooku and the actual Attack of the Clones on Geonosis.
    The Force Awakens - literally a recreation of the movie that I said I wouldn't have watched unless it were for the actors or if it wasn't the original. I am a huge fan of big battles and the good guys actually having a big fleet. After the Republic was restored I expected them to have big Star Destroyers and everything, but NOPE. They decided to just make Death Star 3.0 which destroys all of the good guys' equipment, ships, soldiers, with the exception of a few.
  • ilNomad
    236 posts Member
    Options
    Rapid wrote: »
    I'm really shocked rogue one is getting so much love. Not that it's a bad movie but no where near the top imho.

I just rewatched Rogue One with a friend, who hadn't watched the OT recently. She didn't think it was good, and that's actually pretty accurate - it's not a good movie on its own, but rather very dependent on your knowledge of ANH. I think the reason people are ranking it so high, and why I really love it, is how well it complements the story told in ANH.
  • ExarTheKun
    2668 posts Member
    Options

Well, a lightsaber is just a fancy sword. You don't actually have to be a jedi to use it. If I was walking down the street and saw a lightsaber on the ground, I could pick it up and turn it on, and if I had been trained in melee combat like FN-2199 would have been, I probably could make a go of it as well, before also being sliced down the back by a superior swordsman. :)

For Rey, I just assume she's always been force sensitive, and has probably been subconsciously relying on The Force since she was stranded on Jakku by <spoiler removed> to hide her from her Snoke because her parents are actually <spoiler removed> and <spoiler removed>. So it's not a stretch for me to assume she's been using the Force without knowing it all along, and now that she's been introduced to the world and has seen what Ben can do, as well as all the legends she's heard about Jedi ... I can totally buy it.

Agreed. Finns use of the lightsaber was reasonable in my opinion. It's not like he was deflecting blaster bolts and hacking through a legion of stormtroopers.
  • Georgemi6
    1236 posts Member
    Options
    ExarTheKun wrote: »

Agreed. Finns use of the lightsaber was reasonable in my opinion. It's not like he was deflecting blaster bolts and hacking through a legion of stormtroopers.

Finn was actually one of the best and most highly trained storm troopers in the first order. His squad and he were sort of like vaders fist, in that they went on all the important missions with Kylo and/or captain phasma. They were trained with melee weapons, hence why Finn is so good with a saber and why fn-2199 (TR8R (he was also part of finns squad (parinthesis are fun, huh?))) used a riot baton. Now I have no idea why Finn was apparently a janitor for a while or why he left the order after being raised from birth there amd joined the guy that killed his friend, but whatever.
    Explanations n'stuff
  • Options
    Georgemi6 wrote: »

Finn was actually one of the best and most highly trained storm troopers in the first order. His squad and he were sort of like vaders fist, in that they went on all the important missions with Kylo and/or captain phasma. They were trained with melee weapons, hence why Finn is so good with a saber and why fn-2199 (TR8R (he was also part of finns squad (parinthesis are fun, huh?))) used a riot baton. Now I have no idea why Finn was apparently a janitor for a while or why he left the order after being raised from birth there amd joined the guy that killed his friend, but whatever.
    Explanations n'stuff

You used one parentheses too many and misspelled it, we're watching you now...
    gpo.png
  • Georgemi6
    1236 posts Member
    Options

Explanations n'stuff

You used one parentheses too many and misspelled it, we're watching you now...
    gpo.png

I'm sorry sir it didn't auto correct so I wasn't sure. It won't happen again, I assure you. I was once a grammar policeman like yourself.... (has flashback of being out on the field)
  • fascizio
    572 posts Member
    Options

I respect your opinion, the similarities with ANH especially, but regarding Rey:

Anakin: used force precognition to pilot podracers before he knew the force was a thing.

Luke: with literally the pressure of the fate of the galaxy on his shoulders bent two torpedoes at a 90 degree angle down a two meter tube with the force and the entirety of his training to that point was an old man telling him to "stretch out with [his] feelings"

Starkiller: at like 3 years old he ripped a lightsaber out of DARTH VADER's hands, and his father had no idea how powerful he was so it's safe to say he had minimal to zero training.

Revan: completely and rapidly relearned all of his abilities after losing all his memories with little to no training.

Jacen and Jaina Solo: had a two-way connection with their mother through the force in utero

Star Wars is filled with protagonists exactly like Rey in literally every form of media throughout both canon and the expanded universe.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Empire Strikes Back (10/10)
    A New Hope (8/10)
    Clone Wars (7.5/10)
    The Force Awakens (7.5/10)
    Return of the Jedi (7/10)
    Rebels (6.5/10)
    Rogue One (5/5)
    Revenge of the Sith (3/10)
    Attack of the Clones (0/10)
    Phantom Menace (0/10)

Assigning ratings can be difficult because many of these shows/movies are incredibly inconsistent in their quality.

Also, i love arguing about this stuff so if you have questions, dont hesitate to pm me
  • Georgemi6
    1236 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    fascizio wrote: »

I respect your opinion, the similarities with ANH especially, but regarding Rey:

Anakin: used force precognition to pilot podracers before he knew the force was a thing.

Luke: with literally the pressure of the fate of the galaxy on his shoulders bent two torpedoes at a 90 degree angle down a two meter tube with the force and the entirety of his training to that point was an old man telling him to "stretch out with [his] feelings"

Starkiller: at like 3 years old he ripped a lightsaber out of DARTH VADER's hands, and his father had no idea how powerful he was so it's safe to say he had minimal to zero training.

Revan: completely and rapidly relearned all of his abilities after losing all his memories with little to no training.

Jacen and Jaina Solo: had a two-way connection with their mother through the force in utero

Star Wars is filled with protagonists exactly like Rey in literally every form of media throughout both canon and the expanded universe.

That is true, however Jedi mind tricks are some of the most advanced force abilities one can learn, and also Rey literally didn't know the force (and therefor Jedi mind tricks) was real until like the day before. Also, Kylo ren, who has literally done nothing but train in the force his whole life, got his **** handed to him by Rey, who ever used a light saber. It's not unheard of to demonstrate force abilities in moments of extreme physical or mental stress, but c'mon. These demonstrations are a few too many.
    In these actions you give us a main villain that basically becomes a meme overnight and who no one takes seriously, (except my little cousin. He thinks he's cool) and a protagonist no one worries about. And no, this isn't a nerf Rey thread XD
  • Options
    What are your favorite Star Wars movies listed from 1-7? List in order having #1 be the best and #7 being the worst/least best. Also give a rating out of ten if you want. You may also include other movies, like rogue one, the clone wars, etc.
    For me it's this:
    #1: A new hope 10/10
    #2: empire strikes back 9.5/10
    #3: revenge of the sith 8.5/10
    #4: return of the Jedi 8/10
    #5: rogue one 7.75/10
    #6: the force awakens 7/10
    #7: the phantom menace 6.5/10
    #8: attack of the clones 5.5/10
    #9: the clone wars movie 4/10
    What are your guys's's lists?

1. Anh
    2. Rotj
    3. R1
    4. Esb
    5. Fa
    6. Everything else is blah
  • Options

That is true, however Jedi mind tricks are some of the most advanced force abilities one can learn, and also Rey literally didn't know the force (and therefor Jedi mind tricks) was real until like the day before. Also, Kylo ren, who has literally done nothing but train in the force his whole life, got his **** handed to him by Rey, who ever used a light saber. It's not unheard of to demonstrate force abilities in moments of extreme physical or mental stress, but c'mon. These demonstrations are a few too many.
    In these actions you give us a main villain that basically becomes a meme overnight and who no one takes seriously, (except my little cousin. He thinks he's cool

He did have a hole in his gut from Chewie's crossbow blaster though, as someone who's recently been through a stomach op and teaches jujitsu, that seriously limits your balance and movement.
  • Options

In these actions you give us a main villain that basically becomes a meme overnight and who no one takes seriously, (except my little cousin. He thinks he's cool

He did have a hole in his gut from Chewie's crossbow blaster though, as someone who's recently been through a stomach op and teaches jujitsu, that seriously limits your balance and movement.

Plus Obi-Wan Kenobi is obviously her father, and he was all about the jedi mind tricks, so it's like an inherited trait. Plus, she probably has, like, a bazillion midichlorians.
  • Pyrefly
    1254 posts Member
    Options
    Profanities such as Finn using a lightsaber,
    Finn was trained in many forms of armed combat as a Trooper. And Han "profaned" a lightsaber first when he used one to cut open a tauntaun to save Luke.
    ...or Rey self-teaching herself how to use the force by "focusing".
    Will you feel the same way if it comes out in TLJ or Ep 9 that Rey has already undergone Force training as a young child before being left on Jakku?
    Yes. But not because they're simply copying ESB, but because that's what you do in a 3-Act story structure.
    how-and-why-vogler-journey.gif
    The ending to Act II is all about the consequences of the Big Change in order to begin the Road Back in Act III.
    swgoh.gg profile: Pyrefly -- Check out my Galactic Power Tables and my TB Phase Info Tables !!
  • fascizio
    572 posts Member
    Options

Again though, Anakin didn't know the force was a thing either, Qui-Gon told him about it at the dinner table, but that didn't stop him from using force precognition. The Solo twins certainly didn't know about it, but they could communicate their emotions to their mother. Also, as stated earlier, a lightsaber is just a melee weapon. A very powerful one granted, but a melee weapon regardless. It totally makes sense that a strong fighter like Rey (remember when she 1v2'd those hired goons that had the drop on her?) would be at least somewhat adept at using it.

As far as Kylo goes, he'd been shot and stabbed before fighting Rey, and he wasn't trying to kill her anyway, he was trying to turn her. It makes complete sense that his arrogance would get the better of him here. It's painfully clear that he toys with Finn, then Finn gets a shot in and Kylo immediately incapacitates him, but damage done, you know.

OT though --> ESB>RO>ANH>TFA>>RotJ=RotS>Clone Wars>>>PM>>>>>>>AotC
  • Options
    There is a reason why no non force sensitive character eve
    Pyrefly wrote: »
    Profanities such as Finn using a lightsaber,
    Finn was trained in many forms of armed combat as a Trooper. And Han "profaned" a lightsaber first when he used one to cut open a tauntaun to save Luke.
    ...or Rey self-teaching herself how to use the force by "focusing".
    Will you feel the same way if it comes out in TLJ or Ep 9 that Rey has already undergone Force training as a young child before being left on Jakku?
    Yes. But not because they're simply copying ESB, but because that's what you do in a 3-Act story structure.
    how-and-why-vogler-journey.gif
    The ending to Act II is all about the consequences of the Big Change in order to begin the Road Back in Act III.

There was a world between how Han used the lightsaber and what Finn did.

On your second point yes I would still feel like it's extremely far-stretched. As per what was explained in Episode I, II, and III, a jedi needs years to reach a point where he can do stuff like mind tricks. The training is basically life long and if she was the equivalent of a youngling, she was far from having enough force skills to do what she did - even if she was the daughter of Obi Wan.
  • Options

In these actions you give us a main villain that basically becomes a meme overnight and who no one takes seriously, (except my little cousin. He thinks he's cool) and a protagonist no one worries about. And no, this isn't a nerf Rey thread XD

Look, I can easily explain to you, why this happened and all it requires is one simple word(starts with f, ends with ism), but unfortunately the mods don't like it when I use such words.
  • fascizio
    572 posts Member
    Options
    On your second point yes I would still feel like it's extremely far-stretched. ...

I understand you feel that way, but it's not really supported by the source material. There are literally dozens of examples throughout Star Wars of untrained people doing exceptional things through the force.

Also, there's no indication anywhere that mind trick at its base was particularly advanced. Some variants of it certainly were like force illusion, or dominate mind, but mind trick was taught to younglings.
  • Options
    @Darth_Julienus1 she can't be the daughter of Obi Wan going by timescale, nearly ten years too young. Any child Obi Wan had would be at least late twenties, early thirties.
  • Mischen1
    158 posts Member
    Options
    ESB, ROTJ, ANH, TFA, ROTS, RO, AOTC, TPM. I actually like Ep 2 and 3 more than Ep 1.
  • Pyrefly
    1254 posts Member
    Options
    Also, there's no indication anywhere that mind trick at its base was particularly advanced. Some variants of it certainly were like force illusion, or dominate mind, but mind trick was taught to younglings.
    I believe, too, that it has a lot to do with Kylo. He, in a sense, shows her how to do it. And while he seems to be fairly gifted in certain types of Force use, I've always suspected that his doubts, along with his unfinished training, have made him much weaker in the area of "mind tricks", which is why she was able to get a peek into his mind when he opened himself up to read her.
    swgoh.gg profile: Pyrefly -- Check out my Galactic Power Tables and my TB Phase Info Tables !!
  • Pyrefly
    1254 posts Member
    Options
    @Darth_Julienus1 she can't be the daughter of Obi Wan going by timescale, nearly ten years too young. Any child Obi Wan had would be at least late twenties, early thirties.
    Even older than that, unless Old Ben had a side piece on Tatooine. He'd been watching over Luke for years.
    I still think Rey is a Skywalker, because the main movies are "the Skywalker saga", but if she is a Kenobi, then she's undoubtedly a granddaughter instead of a daughter.
  • Options
    Even older than that, unless Old Ben had a side piece on Tatooine. He'd been watching over Luke for years.
    I still think Rey is a Skywalker, because the main movies are "the Skywalker saga", but if she is a Kenobi, then she's undoubtedly a granddaughter instead of a daughter.

Yeah I was going for a bit on the side on Tatoinne there, OBK is in his 60s in ANH so extremely unlikely. More likely she's a Skywalker.
  • Options
    Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (10/10)
    Star Trek: First Contact (9.9/10)
    Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (9.5/10)
    Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (9/10)
    Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (8.5/10)
    Star Trek (2009) (8/10)
    Star Trek: Insurrection (7.5/10)
    Star Trek: Nemesis (7/10)
    Star Trek Into Darkness (6/10)
    Star Trek Beyond (5/10)
    Star Trek Generations (3/10)
    Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1.5/10)
    Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (1/10)
  • fascizio
    572 posts Member
    Options
    I believe, too, that it has a lot to do with Kylo. He, in a sense, shows her how to do it. And while he seems to be fairly gifted in certain types of Force use, I've always suspected that his doubts, along with his unfinished training, have made him much weaker in the area of "mind tricks", which is why she was able to get a peek into his mind when he opened himself up to read her.

Great point.

But Kylo is already a Skywalker, so he could fill that in that piece. I think it'd be cool if she were a granddaughter of Kenobi, but then who would be the Grandma? A side piece from Tatooine seems unlikely/uninteresting/out of character, but with Satine dead I'm hard pressed to come up with someone else.... I've also seen theories that she's a Palpatine... not so sure about that one.
  • ilNomad
    236 posts Member
    Options
    Star Trek (2009) (8/10)
    Star Trek Beyond (5/10)

outta-here.gif
  • Georgemi6
    1236 posts Member
    Options
    Star Trek (2009) (8/10)
    Star Trek Beyond (5/10)

6fBpbEM.gif
  • Pyrefly
    1254 posts Member
    Options
    But Kylo is already a Skywalker, so he could fill that in that piece. I think it'd be cool if she were a granddaughter of Kenobi, but then who would be the Grandma? A side piece from Tatooine seems unlikely/uninteresting/out of character, but with Satine dead I'm hard pressed to come up with someone else.... I've also seen theories that she's a Palpatine... not so sure about that one.
    Kathleen Kennedy stated that the core movies "focus on the Skywalker family saga". I don't think there's enough focus on Kylo or even Luke at this point to justify that tenet. And it explains quite a few things, such as why Leia goes to hug Rey (who she'd ostensibly never met before) ahead of Chewie, right after Han's death. And why Rey reacts so strongly to Anakin's lightsaber. Despite Kylo believing that Anakin's lightsaber should rightfully belong to him as Anakin's grandson through Leia, it seems to have more of an affinity with Rey, as evidenced by the scene at the end of TFA.