Droid strats and comps in the meta

Replies

• Options
    STRIKEBOMB wrote: »
    I'm trying to figure out if its better to use BB-8's basic attack every turn, or if its better to just use covert data transfer every turn. If you use his basic attack you'll do more damage overall, inflict more tenacity down and therefore land a lot more debuffs, but on the downside you take longer for Illuminated Destiny. Another thing to note is that BB-8 is insanely fast so although he only does 8-10k on a basic attack he attacks really fast so it adds up and you will kill an enemy sooner rather than waiting for illuminated destiny to save you most of the time. On the other hand using covert data transfer allow you to shave off 1-3 turns on Illuminated Destiny, but until then you'll be lacking an ally for the most part(basically its like having JE on your team again) and you'll be taking more damage. But when you do get to use Illuminated Destiny its rare that the enemy can come back from it.

Biggest reason I regret the Omega, I think spamming covert data to reduce cooldown is the way to go, unless a situation where you need to land a kill dictates otherwise. You can reach his illuminated destiny very quickly this way.
  • Options
    Problem character: Any

Droid solution: None

Like that?
  • Options
    My team at the moment is HK-47, B2, IG-88, GK and R2D2 (number crunch zeta). I only have difficulty with Zaul teams and super-teams, with Wiggs Chaze teams being somewhat RNG reliant encounters. I am the only droids user in at least the top 300 in my shard. I think I'm on the March 2017 shard, very heavily p2p, but I manage top 50 more often than not since I dropped JE for GK around 2 weeks ago. I haven't dropped below 100 ever since.

Waiting for the General Grievous rework (fingers crossed) and hoping there will be synergy between IG-100 and the General. BB-8 wasn't enough for droids, he's just a JE on steroids, not what the droids needed.

• Options
    @LBNpirate interesting you are able to get ahead without JE :) a 6 months old shard must be more forgiving than a 2 year old one
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Problem character: Any

Droid solution: None

Like that?

I guess everyone's entitled to be a spoiler troll every now and then, even though it is without humor and impugns the dignity of the one doing it.

You violated every intention of this thread with your post for no reason other than to attempt to derail the thread. Please show more decorum in the future.
  • Options
    The just-announced Phoenix Squad buffs include new omegas for Chopper that specifically boost his usefulness in Droid squads! Praise the Maker!

Chopper - Reckless Fling

Omega Upgrade: +10% Cooldown Reduction Chance, and also applies to Droid allies. Final Ability Text: Deal Physical damage to target enemy and grant a random Phoenix or Droid ally Offense Up, Defense up, or Speed Up at random for 2 turns, with a 60% chance to also reduce that ally’s cooldowns by 1.

Chopper - Maintenance Protocols

Omega Upgrade: +4% Health and +4% Protection, and Chopper has a 30% Chance to Assist when another Phoenix or Droid ally uses an ability on their turn.

Final Ability Text: At the start of his turn, Chopper recovers 15% of his Max Health. In addition, whenever he is damaged by an attack, he gains Protection Up (15%) if he doesn’t have Protection Up. Chopper has a 30% Chance to Assist when another Phoenix or Droid ally uses an ability during their turn.

Of course, who to drop for Chopper is the question here (or rather: Even with his 30% assists and CD reduction is it worth using him?).

The options to drop under an HK lead:
    - B2: My first target to drop against Rebels. His AOE strafe is so heavily punished by CLS these days...
    - JE/BB8: Especially against zHan I feel like JE isn't pulling his weight at all, so I could start dropping him from teams. I don't have BB8 so I can't comment on him.
    - IG88: I could see dropping my fav droid for Chopper against CLS teams. Still better against GK/Zarriss teams for the heal block
    - GK: Kenobi is just amazing, but Chopper provides an alternative tank with low dmg that also has some extra utility for droids now. Maybe it's worth substituting Chopper in?
    - R2: I feel like R2 is carrying my team hard, so I'm not dropping him!

I might try a group of: HK (L), R2, IG88, Chopper, JE against CLS teams.
  • Options
    So with BB-8 getting added with great droid synergy, although he really shouldn't, and chopper getting zetas (along with the rest of pheonix) and he also shouldn't have droid, synergy I'm thinking this means 1 of 2 things. 1: the devs are just giving droids some luv. Or 2: they're planning a droid rework soon so they added a new one and buffed Phoenix in preparation of a droid rework later. I hope it's #2 :)
  • Options
    So with BB-8 getting added with great droid synergy, although he really shouldn't, and chopper getting zetas (along with the rest of pheonix) and he also shouldn't have droid, synergy I'm thinking this means 1 of 2 things. 1: the devs are just giving droids some luv. Or 2: they're planning a droid rework soon so they added a new one and buffed Phoenix in preparation of a droid rework later. I hope it's #2 :)

Or I could just be imagining good things happening to the team I love. Just like how I was convinced that Separatist September was going to come true....then they released more rebels
  • Options
    I find that in a full droid team I am able to get in the top 100 in arena with just a 5* g8 BB8 where previously with JE i would make it usually to 120 give or take about 10 spots. I also found out that I had made a huge mistake by using an omega on his taunting ability and could maybe remedy this by putting in a non droid in the team (but for sure do not want to). I haven't used him in GW yet with droids as I've been saving them for the guild activity tonight but am really excited to finally pop off an illuminated destiny with my droids in a battle. I think BB8s zeta skill where all droids regain 8% health and protection when he evades an attack is key to his survival when he taunts.
    Where is my kitten General Grievous rework at!!??
  • Options
    Actually I think I'm going to omega BB-8's Covert Data transfer. Whenever I lose a match it's because 88 dies too soon. If I omega his taunt then everyone else can survive longer, he can dodge half the attacks, and then he can call R2 to assist and stun a lot more people. It might be a bad idea, but after doing my arena today and not making top 20 I think it's the right decision
  • Options
    Actually I think I'm going to omega BB-8's Covert Data transfer. Whenever I lose a match it's because 88 dies too soon. If I omega his taunt then everyone else can survive longer, he can dodge half the attacks, and then he can call R2 to assist and stun a lot more people. It might be a bad idea, but after doing my arena today and not making top 20 I think it's the right decision

Trust me.. Don't do it
  • STRIKEBOMB
    1232 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Ig88isboss wrote: »

Trust me.. Don't do it

too late :) It was already really hard for me to beat teams that have really high single target damage (like CLS, Han, Wiggs and R2) so it won't really effect me in that regard
  • Options
    Hey guys it might be a good idea to start farming nightsisters in case they are needed to get a new separatist. Think about it, talia is the daily login, and nightsisters and separatists were enemies so they might be needed to unlock a new character.
  • Options
    Ig88isboss wrote: »

Trust me.. Don't do it

Alright...i don't know if it was a bad idea, or if I'm just losing because Han and Luke keep absolutely destroying my team. If the meta didnt have CLS lead then the taunt would be good. But with rebels counter attacking for 20k it seems like a bad idea. I feel like it's been forever since I used Illuminated Destiny (did 10 arena attacks at rank 20 after I got the taunt) and I didn't get the ability once since EVERYONE died. Maybe I'm just thinking it was a bad idea since I keep getting demolished at this rank and I had no chance of winning even if I didn't put the omega on :/
  • Options
    It's a tough arena out there for us droid players.
  • Options
    I just hope the long awaited Grievous rework has some really good droid synergies. Heck I would love for some new droids to come out too. Droidekas and droid ships anyone? :)
  • Options
    Droid rework and new droids would be awesome!
  • Options
    New strategy I've been using with BB8 for those of you that mistakenly used an omega on the covert data transfer (myself included).

Currently BB8 is the fastest on my team so of course he goes first and the taunt goes up when I use Covert Data Transfer. What happens next is that R2 goes next and instead of going for the AOE to lower the cooldown on ID, I instead give everyone stealth and give BB8 the foresight which I usually give to HK. I found that just keeping BB8 foresighted as much as possible is key. For me he is still a little bit squishy as he is only 5* g9 with 19k protection and 14k health but just the switch from doing the AOE second with R2 makes the difference for me. The past three arena battles I have done, I was able to pop off ID and it was GLORIOUS the amount of damage that I was done. My B2 managed to crit for 10K on his AOE which I have never seen. I'm loving the little guy, and can't wait to get some zetas on him to give him better synergy with R2 and my droids.

If anyone wants to see how I have my droids modded out I'll post a link right here ---> https://swgoh.gg/u/thechampionbum/collection/?f=droid

I'm not in the top 100 but I've been getting higher than I usually do and am really enjoying BB8.
  • STRIKEBOMB
    1232 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    New strategy I've been using with BB8 for those of you that mistakenly used an omega on the covert data transfer (myself included).

Currently BB8 is the fastest on my team so of course he goes first and the taunt goes up when I use Covert Data Transfer. What happens next is that R2 goes next and instead of going for the AOE to lower the cooldown on ID, I instead give everyone stealth and give BB8 the foresight which I usually give to HK. I found that just keeping BB8 foresighted as much as possible is key. For me he is still a little bit squishy as he is only 5* g9 with 19k protection and 14k health but just the switch from doing the AOE second with R2 makes the difference for me. The past three arena battles I have done, I was able to pop off ID and it was GLORIOUS the amount of damage that I was done. My B2 managed to crit for 10K on his AOE which I have never seen. I'm loving the little guy, and can't wait to get some zetas on him to give him better synergy with R2 and my droids.

If anyone wants to see how I have my droids modded out I'll post a link right here ---> https://swgoh.gg/u/thechampionbum/collection/?f=droid

I'm not in the top 100 but I've been getting higher than I usually do and am really enjoying BB8.

That's the strategy I use except im top 20 :) Only problem is cleansers, AOE buff removers, and Han.
    Post edited by STRIKEBOMB on
  • Options
  • TheChampionBum
    340 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

That's the strategy I use except im top 20 :) Only problem is cleansers, AOE buff removers, and Han.

I would hope to be higher as well but that won't be me as everyone on my shard (and I guess every other shard as well) is running CLS lead with zeta Han and other rebels. As well as the fact that none of my droids are maxed out yet and only IG88 is g11 with the others g10 and below while I'm taking on g11 and g12 teams. It's gotten to the point where I would prefer attacking Zaul and Rex teams lol. However, my preferred targets are Zader leads, Resistance teams, and FO teams. Those are really easy to win against, even before BB8.
    DanielOng wrote: »
    @TheChampionBum do you use discord? :)
    No I'm not on Discord although I should probably get on that since most of my guild is.

• Options

I would hope to be higher as well but that won't be me as everyone on my shard (and I guess every other shard as well) is running CLS lead with zeta Han and other rebels. As well as the fact that none of my droids are maxed out yet and only IG88 is g11 with the others g10 and below while I'm taking on g11 and g12 teams. It's gotten to the point where I would prefer attacking Zaul and Rex teams lol. However, my preferred targets are Zader leads, Resistance teams, and FO teams.

My shard is all CLS lead too. The last time I fought something different was before CLS came out. The first day he was released everyone on my shard changed to him. And now they all have full G12 teams :( Chase I try to avoid at all costs. I'll go against Han instead of Chaze lol
  • Options

I would hope to be higher as well but that won't be me as everyone on my shard (and I guess every other shard as well) is running CLS lead with zeta Han and other rebels. As well as the fact that none of my droids are maxed out yet and only IG88 is g11 with the others g10 and below while I'm taking on g11 and g12 teams. It's gotten to the point where I would prefer attacking Zaul and Rex teams lol. However, my preferred targets are Zader leads, Resistance teams, and FO teams.

My shard is all CLS lead too. The last time I fought something different was before CLS came out. The first day he was released everyone on my shard changed to him. And now they all have full G12 teams :( Chase I try to avoid at all costs. I'll go against Han instead of Chaze lol

Interesting, I would rather take on Chaze than Han as once you can get Chirrut's protection down, you can usually one shot him with Ig88. I found that with the Secret Intel buff from BB8, IG88's healing immunity on his basic sticks more often which makes Chaze a whole lot easier. How does your team do on defense? I find that after 5 arena battles i can get myself to the 100 - 120 area by payout and when I look at my ranking the next day, usually I drop to around 130 - 170. I think I'll be doing a lot better as I gear up BB8 and he starts surviving longer.
  • Options

Interesting, I would rather take on Chaze than Han as once you can get Chirrut's protection down, you can usually one shot him with Ig88. I found that with the Secret Intel buff from BB8, IG88's healing immunity on his basic sticks more often which makes Chaze a whole lot easier. How does your team do on defense? I find that after 5 arena battles i can get myself to the 100 - 120 area by payout and when I look at my ranking the next day, usually I drop to around 130 - 170. I think I'll be doing a lot better as I gear up BB8 and he starts surviving longer.

I drop to 20-50 overnight. Yesterday I dropped to 21, but today I went to 55. I think part of the reason why is that people at the top have respect for me, whereas people in the 30s+ just want to beat me.
  • Options

I drop to 20-50 overnight. Yesterday I dropped to 21, but today I went to 55. I think part of the reason why is that people at the top have respect for me, whereas people in the 30s+ just want to beat me.

That sounds familiar. Once I started falling out of the 50s regularly I was shooting up into the high 100s quickly. I think the higher ups in my arena just liked the diversity of having a droid team in there too to a point.
  • Options
    Woodroward wrote: »

That sounds familiar. Once I started falling out of the 50s regularly I was shooting up into the high 100s quickly. I think the higher ups in my arena just liked the diversity of having a droid team in there too to a point.

Well then it looks like one day I'll just have to claw my way into the top 50 using arena refreshes if I have to. It'll be a bit tough though since I'm on Warrior's shard, and the top guys usually try to mimic the team comp he uses.
  • STRIKEBOMB
    1232 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Got rank 1 in arena today :)

How do you post a picture that's saved in Google Photos? I can't remember how lol
  • Options
    I was pretty sure you had to use an image hosting site.

Gratz on 1st. Think it will be happening again? And what was your team that took first?
  • Options

Gratz on 1st. Think it will be happening again? And what was your team that took first?

Might happen again, maybe not 1st but top 5. I used HK, R2, 88, BB-8 and B2. Some people on my shard are changing to GK and Barriss, so that makes it easier.
  • TheChampionBum
    340 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

Might happen again, maybe not 1st but top 5. I used HK, R2, 88, BB-8 and B2. Some people on my shard are changing to GK and Barriss, so that makes it easier.

I remember the days when GK and Zarriss were a pain in the kitten for droid users. I run to fight those teams lol.
    Post edited by Sunnie1978 on