Bounty Hunters should be NEUTRAL -- DEV RESPONSE

Replies

• Hikari
    212 posts Member
    Olga wrote: »
    They murder people for profit. Doesn't seem very neutral to me.

Not like rebels have never murdered anyone. Look at cassian in the first min we see him on screen.
  • ExarTheKun
    2668 posts Member
    Hikari wrote: »

Not like rebels have never murdered anyone. Look at cassian in the first min we see him on screen.

For the greater good. Not for profit ;)
  • ExarTheKun
    2668 posts Member
    Roken_Fett wrote: »
    There isn't any concept of "I'm doing this because I'm good/bad" for bounty hunters. They are just doing what they do, good or bad, for money. They are above this good vs evil struggle, so to speak.

I'm like 90% sure that Boba Fett enjoyed killing humans. Same with HK. He literally hates meatbags. These are cynical characters, not mindless soldiers.
  • SWGAMER6
    539 posts Member
    ExarTheKun wrote: »

Really?? Cassian murdered that guy. There was no good in what he did.
  • ExarTheKun
    2668 posts Member
    SWGAMER6 wrote: »

I mean, the Rebellion comes first. He didn't seem to shy away from sacrificing his own life for the cause. #Priorities.
  • SWGAMER6
    539 posts Member

I mean, the Rebellion comes first. He didn't seem to shy away from sacrificing his own life for the cause. #Priorities.

lol. True, but that was the final result of his characters development right?
  • Don't lose too much thought over LS vs DS, the whole thing is very fluid, and greatly influenced by interpretation.

Is a Bounty Hunter's greed dark? Do the clones and especially droids(except IG88) truly have an alignment, or is it their masters who are light/dark? Can the Jedi truly be considered light, when they were unknowingly serving Palpatine? If Anakin is considered light, how many beings do you have to murder to be dark? Ect, ect.

I agree it is very fluid in reality what is the difference between Bounty Hunter's and Jawa honestly morally, Jawa's are scavengers and will do what needs to be done to acquire the droids to sell on the black market but they are light side in the game, in my mind only because a group of them was executed by the empire looking for some really important droids ;)
  • Tman
    257 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    +1

I'm pretty sure Luke killed over 15,000 stormtrooper so yeah
    Post edited by Tman on
    I am more powerful than the Chancellor- Anikan Skywalker and Tman
  • In the clone wars animations, Bounty Hunters train the clones in Kamino, so not all are that bad.
  • DedrickRogue
    924 posts Member
    edited July 2017

Not that I think Cassian should be tagged DS or anything, but there's a huge gap between self-sacrifice and murder in the name of a cause you BELIEVE is right.
  • In the immortal words of Mace Windu: "I agree"
  • ExarTheKun wrote: »

Hi Jacen Solo, nice to finally meet you!
  • Olga
    1333 posts Member
    Tman wrote: »
    +1

I'm pretty sure Luke killed over 15,000 stormtrooper so yeah
    Casualties of war. Not the same as murder.
  • Roken_Fett
    1293 posts Member
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    There isn't any concept of "I'm doing this because I'm good/bad" for bounty hunters. They are just doing what they do, good or bad, for money. They are above this good vs evil struggle, so to speak.

Lol. Situational ethics, while it attempts to do so, does not actually rise above absolute truth.

Put another way, just because money is neutral, doesn't mean all actions taken to obtain it are.

I agree with the devs - partially because they get to decide, as they control the parameters of the game, but also because their position supports the concept of absolute truth. Which I happen to agree with - and the Star Wars universe has always upheld as well. Despite more recent attempts to muddy the waters.

"actions taken to obtain..."

Exactly what I'm saying. They can take money to do bad things, but they can take money to do good things. So...this is my argument for them being able to fight on both sides. They don't follow good or bad, they follow money. You can say Boba enjoyed killing people, and maybe he did, but you could also pay him to defend and save people from someone bad.
    CLONE HELMETS!! Now let's get Sabine her epic helmet.
  • Roken_Fett wrote: »

Lol. Situational ethics, while it attempts to do so, does not actually rise above absolute truth.

Put another way, just because money is neutral, doesn't mean all actions taken to obtain it are.

I agree with the devs - partially because they get to decide, as they control the parameters of the game, but also because their position supports the concept of absolute truth. Which I happen to agree with - and the Star Wars universe has always upheld as well. Despite more recent attempts to muddy the waters.

Exactly what I'm saying. They can take money to do bad things, but they can take money to do good things. So...this is my argument for them being able to fight on both sides. They don't follow good or bad, they follow money. You can say Boba enjoyed killing people, and maybe he did, but you could also pay him to defend and save people from someone bad.

But that doesn't make him a "good" character, just a greedy one.

Boba Fett is a particularly bad example, he spent a significant chunk of his life trying to murder Mace for revenge.
  • CaptainRex
    2840 posts Member
    Spyda wrote: »
    Wait... If there is no neutrality... Then how do we categorize the Bendu?

Bendu is light side. He spends 99% of his time on screen helping Ezra and Kanan.
    #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).
  • Darth_cowboy
    1139 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Bounty Hunters are Dark Side.

Yeah, I'm aware. But I'm saying the SHOULDN'T be. They follow the money. Money isn't evil or good.

Isn't money the root of all evil
  • Vampire_X
    1435 posts Moderator

Good people can do bad things..... it's actually part of Cassian's story, and why his need for redemption by helping Jyn
    Wicked Sith Queen with the Pink Saber
  • Roken_Fett
    1293 posts Member
    STRIKEBOMB wrote: »
    My question is, how has this not been moved to the Feedback section yet? Every other post talking about characters/factions (except ewoks) got moved there.

The Force is strong in me. B)
    CLONE HELMETS!! Now let's get Sabine her epic helmet.
  • APX_919
    2468 posts Member

I'm like 90% sure that Boba Fett enjoyed killing humans. Same with HK. He literally hates meatbags. These are cynical characters, not mindless soldiers.

I have doubts about Boba enjoying killing. Watch the clone wars cartoon and see how reluctant he is to kill those who can't defend themselves. He will strike down worthy opponents but he still has a sense of honor and won't kill for sport or fun.

HK47 though...he absolutely enjoys assassination and terminating meatbags.
    "Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen...mostly"

You're wasting your time with the Mandos, they fought for the Sith.
  • Spyda
    318 posts Member
    CaptainRex wrote: »
    Spyda wrote: »
    Wait... If there is no neutrality... Then how do we categorize the Bendu?

Bendu is light side. He spends 99% of his time on screen helping Ezra and Kanan.

True, but...
    ... the Bendu only helped them until Kanan tried to recruit the Bendu to their cause... and then he tried to kill them...
    ...So I'm not sure that I can agree with you on this one. Also, it seems as though the Bendu would have been just as willing to have helped Maul as he was to help Kanan and Ezra. He seemed to be just as comfortable with the Dark Side as he was with the Light Side.

"Jedi and Sith wield the Ashla and Bogan. The light and the dark. I'm the one in the middle. The Bendu."
    ―Bendu

Bendu claims to represent the center of the Force, between the light side and the dark side. Thus I'm not sure that you can reasonably give him one tag without the other.
  • +1

Check his right shoulder in ESB. Boba has braids of hair from his victims as trophies right on his armor. Boba is a bad guy.

You're wasting your time with the Mandos, they fought for the Sith.

The Mandalorians are good guys for a minute under Duchess Satine. But I'm not really sure if Jango Fett is ever established in canon as being Mandalorian. Obi Wan assumes he is because of his armor but the Mandalorian Prime Minister denies it saying he just has the armor.
  • Silleck
    423 posts Member
    One persons terrorists is another persons freedom fighter.

Good and evil are merely based on each persons perspective. Nothing more, nothing less.
    There is no such thing as neutral.
    Leader and co-founder of BHG
  • Olddumper
    3000 posts Member
    Aren't stormtroopers just working for pay? Let's add them to neutral too
  • Ok... does it mean we will never see characters like Kreia?
  • Dear God if they are bounty hunters why can't we change their tags with credits? One tag at a time. If you want to keep them dark that's fine but we should be able to determine which ds faction we want to contract them out to.
  • Ok.
    Of we take it seriously, there is no "Good" in Star Wars universe.
    Clones are created to murder
    Siths do evil for the sake of evilness
    Jedi use the same Force what the Siths use, and with the exception of few jedis they are ruthless.
    The exception i mentioned were responsible for the Geonosian Crysis which led to the Clone Wars.
    During Clone Wars, the jedi didnt feel bad with doing the same to other enemy soliders what they did with the droids.
    The one who was closest to "Good" was Padmé, who was the only who started secret peace negotiations. However, she was also deeply involved to the outbreak of the CW.
    The Jedi attack on Geonosis was unjustified.
    After the CW, the rebels used guerrilla tactics and terrorist attacks which usually caused high civil casualties.
    Empire also used instruments of terrorism to maintain the order.
    Luke joined the rebellition to avange the death of his father, uncle and others.
    Bounty Hunters used the constant wars and crysises as opportunity to become rich. Their presence was also responsible for the crysises.
    IMO,
    Light/Dark doesnt equal with Good/Evil
    It only refers to which side of the Force are they.
    JKA started on the light side (wasnt good though) and converted to the dark side.
    Rebels represented the 'Light' when Empire was Dark.
    It is what Maz said.
    Siths, Empire, First Order, all the same, because they are all 'Dark'.
    Just like:
    Jedi, Rebels, Resistance are all 'Light'.
    Good/Evil is another question, and can be only answered through other, much stricter morals.
  • First off, the quote is, "For the love of money is the root of all sorts of evil." So taking credits to kill a man isn't evi... um.

eat24_bear_****_recap_hawkward.jpg

Secondly, our game doesn't really have the concept of "neutral" when it comes to the Light/Dark. Additionally, I'm of the mindset that Light/Dark affiliation isn't something you simply state and then are. Bounty Hunters, while working for the highest bidder, do things that are morally ambiguous at best, and morally reprehensible at worst.

PERSONAL OPINION INCOMING: I believe that within the Star Wars universe every known character can be classified as Light or Dark, and that BEING one of these two things doesn't mean that you're "Good" or "Evil". In the same way a person can be fundamentally "Dark" and yet still do "good" things (Asajj helping Ahsoka), someone can be "Light" and be on the path of "evil" (Anakin, duh). I mean, look at Anakin, was he EVER really light side? Sure he's done a lot of good things, and his affection for Ahsoka is truly pure and fatherly. But his actions through-and-through are driven by a fundamental selfishness.

Sure, he's "Light Side", but that doesn't mean he's a good guy.

In the same way, Bounty Hunters are Dark Side in that they have willingly chosen a profession that is inherently morally "dark". While some of them can be "decent" individuals, and even "good" in some aspects of their character, they have willingly chosen a "dark" path. Thus, they are unlikely to be flagged as Neutral and will remain Dark Side (unless we get indicators that a character should be flagged otherwise).

giphy.gif

*cough* revan *cough* *cough*

Can we get a morally ambiguous tag?