Whale calling it quits

Prev134
Ok, maybe this is a new perspective. I'm in my mid-40's and run a large manufacturing company and have been a Star Wars fan since the day I saw the first movie. My son introduced me to this game, started playing and have enjoyed "Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes" over the past few months.

I've spent a lot of money on it, which is ok. I don't get a lot of time to play things like this so having the option to spend money to move ahead was appealing to me. At least for me, my bottom-line is, if I'm getting enjoyment out of something I don't mind paying for it. There lies the problem, enjoyment. This game has become such a grind, it feels like you have to play for hours just to get to a point where you can scrap together 5 - 10 minutes of fun.

With this last patch it has just gotten worse, and the game has become a tedious chore, like I need more of that in my life. It's a shame that a game with this much potential has seemingly turned into a blatant money grab at the expense of overall game-play enjoyment. Like I said, I don't mind spending money on something that's fun, but it has become harder and harder to find that fun within this game.

However, and infinitely more important, is the fact that many EA customers feel like that are being taken advantage of or to be more blunt... Feel like they are being screwed over. Personally, I don't have an ax to grind with EA, however, I hope EA, at least, listens to it's customers and weighs the balance between maximizing short-term profit and customer satisfaction. Unfortunately, we see many companies these days taking the "Drug-Dealer" approach... Put out something people enjoy in an attempt to get them hooked, then once you have'em, turn the screws and squeeze every last penny out of them. It's a recipe for short-term success, but ultimately hurts the brand name long-term and all but eliminates the possibility of creating customer loyalty.

I know this is way to deep for a discussion about a mobile-app game, but maybe it's something to think about.

Game deleted...Golf Clubs re-gripped...Spring around the corner... All is good!



Replies

  • xJazzx
    808 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Spoony100 wrote: »
    Ok, maybe this is a new perspective. I'm in my mid-40's and run a large manufacturing company and have been a Star Wars fan since the day I saw the first movie. My son introduced me to this game, started playing and have enjoyed "Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes" over the past few months.

    I've spent a lot of money on it, which is ok. I don't get a lot of time to play things like this so having the option to spend money to move ahead was appealing to me. At least for me, my bottom-line is, if I'm getting enjoyment out of something I don't mind paying for it. There lies the problem, enjoyment. This game has become such a grind, it feels like you have to play for hours just to get to a point where you can scrap together 5 - 10 minutes of fun.

    With this last patch it has just gotten worse, and the game has become a tedious chore, like I need more of that in my life. It's a shame that a game with this much potential has seemingly turned into a blatant money grab at the expense of overall game-play enjoyment. Like I said, I don't mind spending money on something that's fun, but it has become harder and harder to find that fun within this game.

    However, and infinitely more important, is the fact that many EA customers feel like that are being taken advantage of or to be more blunt... Feel like they are being screwed over. Personally, I don't have an ax to grind with EA, however, I hope EA, at least, listens to it's customers and weighs the balance between maximizing short-term profit and customer satisfaction. Unfortunately, we see many companies these days taking the "Drug-Dealer" approach... Put out something people enjoy in an attempt to get them hooked, then once you have'em, turn the screws and squeeze every last penny out of them. It's a recipe for short-term success, but ultimately hurts the brand name long-term and all but eliminates the possibility of creating customer loyalty.

    I know this is way to deep for a discussion about a mobile-app game, but maybe it's something to think about.

    Game deleted...Golf Clubs re-gripped...Spring around the corner... All is good!



    EDIT: Post edited due to not following forum guidelines. For the latest guidelines please go here https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/1186/star-wars-galaxy-of-heroes-forum-guidelines#latest
    Post edited by EA_Jesse on
  • Hello welcome to the forums and goodbye I guess :(
  • Have fun golfing! :smile:
  • HMMMM?
  • EA always had a brand like this. So nothing has changed :)
  • I understand your feelings but I'm actually staying BECAUSE I've sunk money in it. By the way it looks, I won't be spending much more (if any). I almost bought the latest Jedi pack, but it would have all been converted to shard shop currency. The only Ning I would have gotten out of it was the 10 T3 ability mats and that wasn't worth $40 to me.

    It's not a game that requires a huge amount of my time though. Spend an hour in the morning burning through energy and GW. Time around lunch to burn through a few refreshes for shards and gear. Then pick up the energy dailys and finish with arena around dinner. Make sure everything is completed by bed time and start again. All in all I spend maybe 3 hours max a day. So it really doesn't hurt by continuing.
  • J7000
    2059 posts Member
    Enjoy getting out of the house. ;)
  • Darth_Katsumoto
    510 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Well said OP. If you no longer enjoy doing something, it's time to do something else.

    Good luck and come back and check on it again if you get the itch lol.
  • What specifically are you referring to @Spoony100 ? You say the game is less fun but didn't make any recommendations for EA on how they could have kept you
  • agree with the original poster 100%, they just keep making this game harder and harder, rewards getting smaller and smaller, grind getting longer and longer, fun getting slimmer and slimmer

    when I started playing this game in december I was happy with the rewards and drop rates, so I paid quite a bit of money, now that all the rewards are just getting nerfed over and over again im losing the will to play, if I knew they would do this I never would of "invested" in this game. They really shouldnt nerf rewards in a game people paid money for, people pay assuming they can keep the growth rate they started with, but when they change that its dishonest in my opinion
  • Sorry to see you go, OP. I feel the same way you do, although to a lesser extent. I don't plan on quitting any time soon, but I'm disappointed with a lot of the little things they've done lately. Stacking disappointments upon one another is only sustainable for so long before people just start walking away.
  • Mizo
    172 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    I think this guy tried to beat Yoda and Yoda showed him how a sheep herder kicks the hell out of his dog.

    You can't say **** in this forum. Wow.
  • ThewhiteonE
    658 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    xJazzx wrote: »
    Spoony100 wrote: »
    Ok, maybe this is a new perspective. I'm in my mid-40's and run a large manufacturing company and have been a Star Wars fan since the day I saw the first movie. My son introduced me to this game, started playing and have enjoyed "Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes" over the past few months.

    I've spent a lot of money on it, which is ok. I don't get a lot of time to play things like this so having the option to spend money to move ahead was appealing to me. At least for me, my bottom-line is, if I'm getting enjoyment out of something I don't mind paying for it. There lies the problem, enjoyment. This game has become such a grind, it feels like you have to play for hours just to get to a point where you can scrap together 5 - 10 minutes of fun.

    With this last patch it has just gotten worse, and the game has become a tedious chore, like I need more of that in my life. It's a shame that a game with this much potential has seemingly turned into a blatant money grab at the expense of overall game-play enjoyment. Like I said, I don't mind spending money on something that's fun, but it has become harder and harder to find that fun within this game.

    However, and infinitely more important, is the fact that many EA customers feel like that are being taken advantage of or to be more blunt... Feel like they are being screwed over. Personally, I don't have an ax to grind with EA, however, I hope EA, at least, listens to it's customers and weighs the balance between maximizing short-term profit and customer satisfaction. Unfortunately, we see many companies these days taking the "Drug-Dealer" approach... Put out something people enjoy in an attempt to get them hooked, then once you have'em, turn the screws and squeeze every last penny out of them. It's a recipe for short-term success, but ultimately hurts the brand name long-term and all but eliminates the possibility of creating customer loyalty.

    I know this is way to deep for a discussion about a mobile-app game, but maybe it's something to think about.

    Game deleted...Golf Clubs re-gripped...Spring around the corner... All is good!



    A tool in the making or just a tool by nature?

    Sorry to hear the dissatisfaction you seem to be experiencing, as a business owner myself, money has never been the factor of playing games like this, as OP mentioned, it was a means to an end... Getting away from the daily grind we call life.

    Yes changes have happened... Sure some not as good as others but that's why I said leave patch notes for the patch. Different situation... Long story...

    The key to games like this (& any game for that matter) is to Scout out & see if it's worth putting money/time into. For me anyways, I like to see if a product is fun as advertised (which SWGOH is, for me in any case), if as advertised & filling my "loose time" & to the point I enjoy, I'll easily place money into the game, not for "the betterment of advancement" but rather for the Devs making a game I enjoy playing & reciprocating that fun with a token of gratitude in the form of finance, RL currency.

    Everyone has their own level of enjoyment, as well as definition, sad thing is... Not everyone can be pleased in a way that benefits both parties, sometimes compromises are needed on both sides to make a mutual beneficial enjoyment... But as mentioned not everyone can be pleased at once.

    Best advice I can give any gamer/pro-gamer/whale is to know your market... Once your market is established, live, love, enjoy...
    Post edited by JohnnySteelAlpha on
  • Vampire_X
    1428 posts Moderator
    Few things

    1) if you don't game often then calling yourself a whale is either a direct lie to your main point or a silly way to say you spent money

    2) whales enjoy advantage not speed so you are not s whale and doubt a large spender otherwise your on meta like many of us and have yoda

    3) your cash speeds up the game invalidating your chore and grind points, that is a valid f2p arguement though

    It sounds like you spent a few hundred did get in meta probably went heavy droid or Poe , and have no desire to spend more or learn the new speed and mets change

    A whale spends his way out of all your arguments so you are a ranter who quit not a whale, your arguement toward democratic socialism is correctly not a gaming arguement

    Wicked Sith Queen with the Pink Saber
  • I am becoming very very close to walking away , I just keep thinking that I just need to gear up to get to The next level and the game would start to sustain itself, but finding myself continuing to spend and now I'm so invested it would be a monumental waste -plus I really love the game but it has become such a bloody grind ,and the enjoyment factor has dropped by 60% .Am I the only one who feels this way ?
  • I do agree with you about the feeling of this game becoming more of a chore. I own my own business and ensuring good customer service and happy customers is vital to the survival of my business. What EA doesn't seem to understand with this blatant money grabbing is that it really pushes away a large and significant group of willing spenders. It's the reason I probably won't purchase the new bundle pack even though I have yet to start farming qgj. It's not that I can't afford it but rather it's because of the way they present themselves. They couldn't at least give a 4* igd who is much more viable for the yoda challenge and equally as hard as jka to farm? Yeah I get that they're in this to make money, but it's been my experience that sometimes giving a little back to your loyal customers reap much larger rewards in the long run. Reading all of the anger and vitriol directed at ea/cg on this forum makes me wonder about the long term survivability of this game. What they need to understand is even the most loyal customer will only take so much before they take their business and money elsewhere.
  • Vampire_X , no offense, buddy, but you sound like you were one of those kids in school who spent most of their time saying "NUH UHHHH!" and wiping their nose.
  • Goodbye mr.whale
  • Can I have your stuff?
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • Vampire_X wrote: »
    Few things

    1) if you don't game often then calling yourself a whale is either a direct lie to your main point or a silly way to say you spent money

    2) whales enjoy advantage not speed so you are not s whale and doubt a large spender otherwise your on meta like many of us and have yoda

    3) your cash speeds up the game invalidating your chore and grind points, that is a valid f2p arguement though

    It sounds like you spent a few hundred did get in meta probably went heavy droid or Poe , and have no desire to spend more or learn the new speed and mets change

    A whale spends his way out of all your arguments so you are a ranter who quit not a whale, your arguement toward democratic socialism is correctly not a gaming arguement
    A guy has the bag to call it quits, and another guy who doesn't criticizes him for it. Love the "community" on this forum. Congrats on beating the game OP; although you're not missing out on much. :)

  • Maybe its just me, but I've found that the game has become much quicker toward the high end levels: I'm mostly simming through hard modes and farming gear and after a couple crystal refreshes have found not much else to do.

    I can sympathize with the "grind" feeling-- although part of it is simply how games like this go: its very tough to keep the "newness" alive, and so the same things that used to be fun now seem like a chore. C'est la vie.
  • I do agree with you about the feeling of this game becoming more of a chore. I own my own business and ensuring good customer service and happy customers is vital to the survival of my business. What EA doesn't seem to understand with this blatant money grabbing is that it really pushes away a large and significant group of willing spenders. It's the reason I probably won't purchase the new bundle pack even though I have yet to start farming qgj. It's not that I can't afford it but rather it's because of the way they present themselves. They couldn't at least give a 4* igd who is much more viable for the yoda challenge and equally as hard as jka to farm? Yeah I get that they're in this to make money, but it's been my experience that sometimes giving a little back to your loyal customers reap much larger rewards in the long run. Reading all of the anger and vitriol directed at ea/cg on this forum makes me wonder about the long term survivability of this game. What they need to understand is even the most loyal customer will only take so much before they take their business and money elsewhere.

  • Since when do people that own large manufacturing companies refer to them as large? It's always fair, average, or good sized. I mean I don't go around saying I have a large _____, I say it's above average :-)
  • Yes absolutely
  • Nikoms565
    10784 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Vampire_X wrote: »
    Few things


    A whale spends his way out of all your arguments...

    Until the whales realize that they are being jerked around by a constantly changing game that is trying to dupe them into doing just what you suggest (spend their way out of a "hole"...again).

    I understand that there are people on these forums that are EA/CG fanboys (heck, some probably are employees) and some that simply think "It's a Star Wars game, there's never anything wrong with it because...because...STAR WARZ!!!"

    But I also can see the frustration of those who have sunk a lot of time and money into a game that then gets altered, such that their efforts have, in effect been wasted. This is much different than spending money stupidly. Some have spent their time/money very wisely with great foresight - only to have the very basis upon which those wise decisions were made completely changed by "updates" and "patches".

    To pretend that those quitting, leaving, etc. don't have a valid point and must either be lying, stupid, inept or impatient is to wear EA colored glasses.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

    In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Naugrin wrote: »
    Since when do people that own large manufacturing companies refer to them as large? It's always fair, average, or good sized. I mean I don't go around saying I have a large _____, I say it's above average :-)

    Yeah well mine is so large that it alters the spin of the planet, so to each their own.
  • Funny thing with whales is they spend their way out of everything. They buy the current Meta. Well When the Meta was Heal, it was beatable, When it was Poe dPS, beatable again. I spent about $1,500 or so to collect to have fun and speed the grind up. Not caring on the meta. To build, to theory craft, to tinker. I ran a team that was ok after the POE DPS wave, let it fall out of top 100(I was always top 10, 1st often) Climbed back up with various theory ideas. Then for fun decided to see what the Poe hype was all about. He was cool, could make a team better. I geared him to max, no need to 7* 5 was fine for my long term goal with him, thinking he'd go to 142(tier 2) I crafted my team to be ready for that, and it is a top 10, 1st(my shard is a roulette these few weeks at that slot,lol) Poe went to 142 as I figured, but the sweetest thing was they fixed the speed system. Poe is actually more use for me now than he was before. The team I built, anticipating a non 1st turn Poe now hits their stride right away, rather than post burst. I've hit the Poe DPS, Droid, the QGJ/Yoda builds since the shift, none are an issue. Buying your meta build does not make you successful. I rather enjoy seeing the teams I know spent thousands and beating them. It adss to my fun to be honest. I spent what I spent to collect and play my way, not to buy myself wins that lack and real accomplishment(my opinion) I prefer to win on my crafting ability and strategy as opposed to how much I spent. So I will say thank you to the whale teams you do make it fun for me as I get to test and build based on your game breaking speed to top tier of the meta builds. I appreciate your investment and the fun you add.

    I know off the OP topic, but it is kind of response to Vampire_X there. We all get our fun in different ways. I'm willing to spend to get my break and have my fun. I'll stop too if the fun leaves for me. Sorry to see you go OP. Happy golfing. To whales like Vampire_X thank you for your investment you all add to my fun. Even when I get absolutely slaughtered seeing one of you alls new builds before I craft a solution.

    Have fun everyone.


    Disclaimer I intended no insult to any type of gamers in this I appreciate all types so please f2p, whale, p2p nobody take any insult in anything said please it was not my intention to insult anyone.
  • Vampire_X , no offense, buddy, but you sound like you were one of those kids in school who spent most of their time saying "NUH UHHHH!" and wiping their nose.

    It's funny how anytime a person starts a sentence or statement with "no offense", somebody's usually about to get offended.
  • ThewhiteonE
    658 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    All I see is folks jumping on a bandwagon.

    How many of you's have permission to be on the forums? Permissions from your parents that is.

    Grow up!
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    Vampire_X wrote: »
    Few things


    A whale spends his way out of all your arguments...

    Until the whales realize that they are being jerked around by a constantly changing game that is trying to dupe them into doing just what you suggest (spend their way out of a "hole"...again).

    I understand that there are people on these forums that are EA/CG fanboys (heck, some probably are employees) and some that simply think "It's a Star Wars game, there's never anything wrong with it because...because...STAR WARZ!!!"

    But I also can see the frustration of those who have sunk a lot of time and money into a game that then gets altered, such that their efforts have, in effect been wasted. This is much different than spending money stupidly. Some have spent their time/money very wisely with great foresight - only to have the very basis upon which those wise decisions were made completely changed by "updates" and "patches".

    To pretend that those quitting, leaving, etc. don't have a valid point and must either be lying, stupid, inept or impatient is to wear EA colored glasses.

    It's never been about people quitting... It's got everything to do with people not understanding the nature of a thing (in this case a mobile game & the sort of platform it produces), once you understand something you can make a judgement call. Now after KNOWING that Poe was going to be changed, regardless of whether or not it was as mentioned or not or as stipulated, the fact remains... The game is about 4 months old, things are in their very early stages of development, Heros will be OP, the game will have bugs & just simple common sense stipulates that something this new will not be 100% to par... That being said... It was always your choice on wether or not to place money into this game. You knew the game wasn't balanced yet YOU as the customer put money into it anyway?

    No one here is at fault exept for the people expecting EA to walk on water from day one. Not even Jesus did that... Even he wasn't born perfect... I'm sure he too **** his diapers.

    To conclude, YOU the customer were stu pid enough to spend money of **** YOU knew was wrong/buggy & now you cry wolf when the **** hits the fan...

    **** grow up people, this is the real world, not some galaxy far far away!?
  • Yeah, I agree that this game has become less and less fun every day I play it. I'm thinking of sticking around for another month or so for the next level cap and might just start skipping days when I don't feel like playing. I would say hang in there and there is a possibility that in the next few months with new characters, alliance system, and getting characters to legendary level it will be fun but to perfectly honest, this game should've had everything up until now and everything I mentioned basically on the launch of the game.

    I've spent about $250 for less content than most games have had upon release for $60. I don't mind though because this is basically the only game I play atm and I did get a fair bit of enjoyment from it. If I had to guess at EA's thinking, they're basically still rolling out the game and still a couple months from the time it should have been released. They don't care too much about all the people that have invested for months as it seems their business model is to focus on getting money from new players. I believe in the business world it's referred to as turnover. Not everything is EA's fault but at the same time it is. It's like being the president or a governor, even if someone under you messes up or some unlucky thing happens under your administration, you still have to claim responsibility for it even though it may have been largely out of your control. Oh well, back to the real world I guess :)
Sign In or Register to comment.