The Galactic Rebel Players Discussion

Prev1
Smapty
1260 posts Member
I feel like this thread needs to exist (hopefully it doesn't already) with all the recent Rebel reworks and additions to the game...

A place to discuss and give feedback on Rebel squads and share information :)

Replies

• Smapty
    1260 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I'll start!

Here's a Rebel team I've been running after experimenting with the new reworked rebels...

I didn't save gear for Luke so it will be a little while before I get to throw him into the mix

Jyn led revamped rebels (would be much stronger with zetas on anyone other that Jyn)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=htJFfRMa6x0

Edit: yes I know I've been an empire supporter almost exclusively (and still am)... but it's fun to try new stuff ;)
  • Options
    Smapty wrote: »
    I'll start!

Here's a Rebel team I've been running after experimenting with the new reworked rebels...

I didn't save gear for Luke so it will be a little while before I get to throw him into the mix

Jyn led revamped rebels (would be much stronger with zetas on anyone other that Jyn)

How can we not already have a Galactic Rebel Players Discussion thread??? MADNESS.

I'm also intrigued by Jyn lead rebels. They are still (hopefully) viable in the new environment, and even with their painfully low regular damage, once the expose machine starts chugging, it can be beautiful to take someone from 100% to dead.

I think your set up is the only one that will work. You need Cassian for the debuffs (otherwise why run Jyn?), and R2 also brings too much to not include. So yeah, drop Chaze for Raid Han to control the battle at the start, and OB to taunt and bring more exposes.

My only worry is going to be losing out on the heal + tenacity up + protection regen from Chirrut, and his occasional 30-40k crit to take someone down. But if you bring Chirrut, then it's tough to drop Baze, and we're back to a typical R1 squad.

Basically ... yeah. I want to make Jyn leader work with the new/reworked characters, but the question is if Raid Han and OB are > Chaze.
  • Smapty
    1260 posts Member
    Options
    I'll start!

How can we not already have a Galactic Rebel Players Discussion thread??? MADNESS.

I'm also intrigued by Jyn lead rebels. They are still (hopefully) viable in the new environment, and even with their painfully low regular damage, once the expose machine starts chugging, it can be beautiful to take someone from 100% to dead.

I think your set up is the only one that will work. You need Cassian for the debuffs (otherwise why run Jyn?), and R2 also brings too much to not include. So yeah, drop Chaze for Raid Han to control the battle at the start, and OB to taunt and bring more exposes.

My only worry is going to be losing out on the heal + tenacity up + protection regen from Chirrut, and his occasional 30-40k crit to take someone down. But if you bring Chirrut, then it's tough to drop Baze, and we're back to a typical R1 squad.

Basically ... yeah. I want to make Jyn leader work with the new/reworked characters, but the question is if Raid Han and OB are > Chaze.

I've never used chaze... but I think in this team you could *maybe* sub Baze for Raid Han

You miss the dispel in this team and sometimes that can bite you in the butt...

I'm "kinda sorta" working on getting Baze up to par to try it out...

Han brings a lot to the team though and would be even nastier with his zeta (and if I modded him appropriately)
  • Options
    I'll join in.
    I've been using Ackbar, Shore, Leia, Ezra and R2 for a while now. There's an odd one out but he'd been the best option for me, hoping to eventually replace him with GK. Wanted to swap Ezra for Commander Skywalker but I don't think I'm gonna get there.
    The team does pretty well and keeps me in top 50, and I've been closing in on 20. Hoping the rework on Leia might give me that oomph. Ackbar and R2 have a really nice synergy with all the assists giving cleanses.
  • Options
    I'm running Luke, old Ben, Kenobi, Thrawn and Nihilus. The dark side toons kit are too good to be ignored, looking for some toon to change them. Maybe R2 and or raid Han?

By the way, I put old Ben at lead and as expected works pretty good if the enemy doesn't have R2. Dodge meta back again, let the hate flow :D
  • Smapty
    1260 posts Member
    Options
    I'll join in.
    I've been using Ackbar, Shore, Leia, Ezra and R2 for a while now. There's an odd one out but he'd been the best option for me, hoping to eventually replace him with GK. Wanted to swap Ezra for Commander Skywalker but I don't think I'm gonna get there.
    The team does pretty well and keeps me in top 50, and I've been closing in on 20. Hoping the rework on Leia might give me that oomph. Ackbar and R2 have a really nice synergy with all the assists giving cleanses.

Ackbar is an interesting idea... I feel like the AI wastes his dispel/ heal most times unfortunately. The speedo from his lead is nice... and the assists. Could be solid with ATF and some other high damage rebels...

In your team I would ditch Shore for Old Ben... R2 is going to focus fire on him and he honestly brings a lot more to the table in a Rebel team than Shore does
  • Smapty
    1260 posts Member
    Options
    SpeedRacer wrote: »
    I'm running Luke, old Ben, Kenobi, Thrawn and Nihilus. The dark side toons kit are too good to be ignored, looking for some toon to change them. Maybe R2 and or raid Han?

By the way, I put old Ben at lead and as expected works pretty good if the enemy doesn't have R2. Dodge meta back again, let the hate flow :D

I tried the Old Ben lead but didn't have much success with it... maybe just bad RNG

I really love Jyn lead for all the exposes... especially with Old Ben now being a "rebel"

Makes that initial taunt on the other side an easy kill...

I've considered throwing DT in there instead of Han for his dispel and cooldown reduction...

It's still early... lots of experimentation to be done still :)
  • Options
    I'll join in.

Ackbar is an interesting idea... I feel like the AI wastes his dispel/ heal most times unfortunately. The speedo from his lead is nice... and the assists. Could be solid with ATF and some other high damage rebels...

In your team I would ditch Shore for Old Ben... R2 is going to focus fire on him and he honestly brings a lot more to the table in a Rebel team than Shore does

For a while there I needed a Pretaunt. Might still do, but I'm not sure. Shore actually benefits a lot out of this team, any time he loses a buff he taunt's cooldown is reduced, and he's losing buffs often with Tactical Genius and Forsight from R2.
    Still, Ben looks good since his rework and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't considering him. He could make a nice opener with Mind tricks and Taunt off of Tac Genius.
  • SpeedRacer
    1037 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    @Smapty I want Jyn ,but have some conspiracy theory against me, she rarely appear at shipments, lol

Still think Luke lead is of course way better, but have been fun with old Ben. Unfortunately on defense Ben uses taunt first, mind tricks could be a better option there. I thought about adding a zeta Barris and we might have some sort of timeout squad again.

As expected didn't have too much time tro try many diferent comps, some people say raid Han and R2 makes a great combo to join Luke too.

So far on offense is great, make Thrawn give TM to Ben to apply mind tricks, then goes Nihilus, u start with +2 Cooldown right off the bat.
  • Options
    I usually run jyn lead, cassian, k2, Zeb and boba. But after the reworks I've swapped boba for Leia her damage is incredible

I've stacked Jyn on speed (for rancor but I like it for arena as well) so she goes first and stuns and steals tm. Cassian (speed and potency stacked) then tosses debuffs around inflicting some exposes and gaining tm. I have my k2 modded to go after Cassian to inflict daze on someone and calling Cassian to hit for some major damage. Zeb then follows up by stunning whoever was dazed. I can't remember off the top of my head when Leia goes I just added her in but I have her stealth to get her train rolling. As long as I can knock out their DN for a turn I'm usually all set. After the first turn Cassian stacks exposes and debuffs for massive damage, Zeb staggers and stuns, Jyn zaps tm, k2 takes the hits like a wall, and Leia dishes out incredible damage
  • Smapty
    1260 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Here's that Jyn led team vs. an Old Ben led rebel squad (With Luke).

I think I caught him while he was experimenting with new teams... sorry @ElixirU :)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ehfVyVqgIk4
  • SpeedRacer
    1037 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    @Smapty runned lots of tests about old Ben and i think devs kind of nerf his leadership. On first battles probably got good rng, but later had some that not even once anyone dodge. Understandable, dodge meta would be annoying again.

Besides, against Rex lead is too much gamble, if after mind tricks u don't ability block him, just gave tons of TM to every enemy.

Raid Han seems very interesting, mine is g10, thinking if worth all that carbattis to push to g11. His stun shot at start might disrupt enemy strategy. On the other hand, i saw Fulcrum Ahsoka kill him at once easily with her special.
  • Options
    What about a team that was Ackbar led, ATF, Old Ben, Ezra, and Leia? Could this be a good team?
  • Options
    @Counts Ackbar is old meta, his kit is good, but can't be compared to all offensive power or buffs/debuffs other leaders on arena give. ATF is awesome, Ezra have his spot. Leia relly a lot on rng, tried her again and on many fights he attacked only once.

---

By the way, I think the jewel under Luke lead is OG Han Solo. After rework he hits like a truck! And he's gonna get 85% counter-attack, that's very decent. His first shot can disrupt enemy strategy. Make him around 60% crit chance and after his special, he will get enough TM to go right again.

With good mods he will crit for 20k on special and 15k basic, thinking of the "TM combo" as said, it's around 35k, insane! I pushed him to g11 and gave a zeta too, no regreats at all!

• Options
    I'm going to be testing these things out myself in GW (tomorrow, sadly, because I finished GW this morning), but in case someone knows, I have a couple of questions about first moves for characters on defense. Obviously this is assuming they aren't ability blocked.

1) Jyn - Does she use Rebel Counterattack first? If so, what's the criteria for who gets the 100% TM? Person with the least current TM or totally random?

2) Old Ben - Does he use Taunt right off or Mind Tricks?

3) R2 - First ability used? And who does he choose for Smoke Screen? I'm thinking it's anybody taunting, but what if there isn't a current taunter?

4) Kanan - First move? And will he taunt (Intervene) if nobody currently has a debuff on them?

5) SRP - Basic or taunt?

6) STH - Taunt first or nah?

Finally ...

7) Raid Han - who does he choose for his stun? Totally random or is there some algorithm at play, such as 'always target characters x, y, or z if they are present, otherwise just roll the dice', or is it always just totally random?

Basically I'm trying to theorycraft a good opening that doesn't rely on Baze to be pre-taunting. My sincere hope is that Jyn leads with RC and gives it to the slowest person on the team, who would be the tank. The tank then immediately taunts, simulating a Baze (as long as Jyn can be made the fastest person on the team, obviously).

Of course, that might be an all around bad idea, because against a Rex team she'd be feeding them a bunch of TM at the start with at least a few crits from that aoe. And then it becomes a crapshoot about who goes first - your tank with the 100% or the other team who probably have all 5 characters at 100%. Hmmmmmmm, probably not a good idea.

*sigh*

Still, the questions stand. I'm going to try this out tomorrow (oh what I wouldn't give for a sandbox mode!).
  • Sgc8647
    87 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Answers:

1) Jyn - Does she use Rebel Counterattack first:
    YES.. She gives the TM to the current lowest Health protection

2) Old Ben - Does he use Taunt right off or Mind Tricks?
    Mind Tricks
    3) R2 - First ability used? And who does he choose for Smoke Screen? I'm thinking it's anybody taunting, but what if there isn't a current taunter?
    Smoke Screen first and he give it to the one with the current highest Health + protection (taunting tank or no taunting tank)

4) Kanan - First move?
    No idea

5) SRP - Basic or taunt?:
    Taunt
    6) STH - Taunt first or nah?
    Taunt

7) OG Han:
    Completly random
  • Options
    Interesting. So technically a possible starting turn could be:

1) R2
    *Smokescreen on high hp/prot tank
    2) Leia
    *Stealth + 100% + basic pew pew
    3) Jyn
    *Rebel Counter and feed 100% to Leia
    4) Leia
    *More pew pew with advantage

If you can get those three characters in that order (and still, somehow, be faster than the other team), that would be a good opening barrage
  • Indominable_J
    1812 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    7) Raid Han - who does he choose for his stun? Totally random or is there some algorithm at play, such as 'always target characters x, y, or z if they are present, otherwise just roll the dice', or is it always just totally random?

I'm pretty sure the AI randomly selects, but that the random selection is weighted by tag. From what I've seen going against him, it's almost always a support character that gets hit. Of course, this could just be confirmation bias at work.

• Hskull55
    2263 posts Member
    Options
    My feedback: I'm sick of rebels :p
    My collection https://swgoh.gg/u/Hskull55/
    Sorry for my English :]
  • Options

I'm pretty sure the AI randomly selects, but that the random selection is weighted by tag. From what I've seen going against him, it's almost always a support character that gets hit. Of course, this could just be confirmation bias at work.

yeah I think he has some more / less likely logic in there - I have faced off vs. Han quite a bit last few days with Thrawn lead, Shore, Storm, DN, and DT - 80%+ of the time he's avoided the two tanks. He's only attacked Shore and Storm once a piece. He seems to love DT / DN in particular.
  • Options
    Is Ackbar worth farming?
  • Options
    SpeedRacer wrote: »
    @Counts Ackbar is old meta, his kit is good, but can't be compared to all offensive power or buffs/debuffs other leaders on arena give. ATF is awesome, Ezra have his spot. Leia relly a lot on rng, tried her again and on many fights he attacked only once.

---

By the way, I think the jewel under Luke lead is OG Han Solo. After rework he hits like a truck! And he's gonna get 85% counter-attack, that's very decent. His first shot can disrupt enemy strategy. Make him around 60% crit chance and after his special, he will get enough TM to go right again.

With good mods he will crit for 20k on special and 15k basic, thinking of the "TM combo" as said, it's around 35k, insane! I pushed him to g11 and gave a zeta too, no regreats at all!

yes multiple guys on my LB have now put a zeta on Han and he's sticking well in some of the better D slots that are holding teams off. With Han stunning someone early and Thrawn then fracturing a player's pre-taunt, there's 2/5 toons potentially taken out of some people's squads in round 1 that are key to a victory. Han is looking good right now.
  • Hskull55
    2263 posts Member
    Options
    Counts wrote: »
    Is Ackbar worth farming?

Not the best rebel, but I like him, he is in arena shop, so he is easy to farm
    My collection https://swgoh.gg/u/Hskull55/
    Sorry for my English :]
  • Options
    Interesting. So technically a possible starting turn could be:

1) R2
    *Smokescreen on high hp/prot tank
    2) Leia
    *Stealth + 100% + basic pew pew
    3) Jyn
    *Rebel Counter and feed 100% to Leia
    4) Leia
    *More pew pew with advantage

If you can get those three characters in that order (and still, somehow, be faster than the other team), that would be a good opening barrage

Without getting too fancy with mods (because they are a real pita to casually move around), I was able to get the above opening salvo working. R2 put smokescreen on the highest hp/protection character, then Leia popped stealth and attacked, and then Jyn went and gave 100% tm to Leia, who attacked again. Even at only g10 (and only against level 80 non-super modded characters, because node 1 of GW isn't representative of a "normal" squad), Leia was still critting for 15-17k damage per shot. So that a potential 90-100k damage, plus Jyn's aoe) right from the start. I mean, it's more likely 50-60k damage, but that would be a nasty surprise right at the start of a fight for the opposing team.

I doubt it would work in the arena without extreme mods, but maybe (as someone pointed out) with an Ackbar lead for the extra speed and extra assists from smokescreen and Leia's stealth. Still, then you're missing the extra offense from a Luke or Wedge lead.

Anyway, as pervasive as Rebels are in this game, they certainly have a lot of options to mix and match characters together in interesting ways.
  • Smapty
    1260 posts Member
    Options
    So after A LOT of experimentation... I think this is what I've settled on for a "Rebel squad"

VoShUhM.jpg

It's not really pure rebel... which I feel detracts from the whole point... but hey what can you do? Gotta win those fights right? ;)

So to go pure rebel...

I'd like to sub GK for Old Ben... but unless you manually give him TM from Thrawn to have him use mind tricks first he just winds up being a liability at this point...

So then if you're giving TM to Ben might as well put Jyn in instead of Thrawn... would be bad against Rex lead but anything else would be ok...

Even without the zeta on Han or Fulcrum... and only one omega on Luke (poor resource management on my behalf haha) it's still pretty fantastic so far...
  • Smapty
    1260 posts Member
    Options
    Here's some videos!

(It gives me something to do in my spare time)

Vs. Thrawn led...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FhJer7sIXOM

Vs. Rex led...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FC3blIdIQaw

Full auto of course... I feel like this team fully zeta'd would be impressive
  • SpeedRacer
    1037 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    @Smapty very nice!! Ahsoka Fulcrum really shines under Luke lead, and she hits like a truck!! I hope they put her shards somewhere to farm soon.

I see you don't have Han zeta, against Rex squad that strategy probably not gonna work so well, because Solo will attack twice giving Rex 30% TM , the clone will push tenacity right away making enemy all start first. Even though it's not a big deal to win.

By the way Zeta Han keeps impressing me, he's a squishy dude but if u mess with him, prepare for some freaking counter attack, lol. I got to say CG really nailed on this rework! Good as was Boba and Anakin. Plus very usefull for Rancor, since he can remove up to 70% TM with basic.

About Luke zeta leadership:
    Take a deep approach. It totally counter Rex/Chirrut/Yoda teams. When he was released was expecting some ability like "when tenacity up is triggered by enemy your allies gains %TM", but this is even better. R2-D2 aeo is a lot of worth on his team. For example when the droid try to inflict the burning flames and they are resisted your squad gain 25% TM (thinking that all enemies have tenacity up).

Let's theory craft a bit more, every toon that attacks will be resisted, giving 5% TM to each rebel ally. So, doing the math on your squad full turn, R2 means +25%TM, plus 4 other allies resisted (5% for each attack) means another 20%TM, giving a total of 45%TM.

Saw many videos with this strategy and it definitely works! Some people for example are using old Ben so his mind tricks can be resisted. Other ideas are Cassian, Sabine, Scarif... Think of 2 rebels aeo beeing resisted on the their turn, boom 50%TM gain for your team! :p

After i gave Luke a zeta to lead, shard mates are saying my squad is more dificult to defeat, tenacity up is not a huge plus like it was before. Maybe finally Rex/Chaze will be benched for a while. So far i'm running Luke, R2, Han, Kenobi and Thrawn. I'm looking to change the blue guy for some rebel, but since i don't have other rebel geared for my strategy, will wait for FAT to be farmable, hope for soon.

• Smapty
    1260 posts Member
    Options
    I'm currently torn between putting the next zeta on Fulcrum or Raid Han...

I feel like Han serves his purpose with his stuns and group buffs... sure the bonus damage would be great but is it that big of a deal?

Fulcrum is a monster... even without the zeta. I feel like the zeta on Fulcrum would take her to a whole new level of nastiness...

But those 20k basics from Han... an extra 10k would be nice... but then again the AI hates him and if anyone is gonna die then it's gonna be Han... Fulcrum is way more resilient...

I'm leaning towards Fulcrum... I think she's really pretty awesome now... but I feel like she's going to be even more devastating once I put a zeta on her...

Is that crazy?

I can't decide...
  • Varlie
    1286 posts Member
    Options
    Fulcrum first but it's a really close race. With her zeta, she can whirlwind through foresight and ignore a good chunk of their armor.
    Without it, you have to clear foresight first and that could waste costly time.
  • SpeedRacer
    1037 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    @Smapty that is really a tough call!! Wish i had Ahsoka geared to give u a proper answer. Both of them are very good, i face Fulcrum everyday on my shard and saw her whirlwind put down baze/kenobi easily. What squad do u plan to run?

Han can hit hard plus TM reduction on basic and special can stun. But Ahsoka special can wipe out anyone.