GW randomness

I'm not complaining about overall difficulty of GW; I finish it every day, usually easily. But there's way too much variability (and/or influence of hidden, marginally relevant factors influencing difficulty). Yesterday, as with most days, I breezed through. Today, battles 1 to 4 were much tougher than usual. Still easy enough, but a sign of things to come. Battle 5 was a horror show - much more difficult than even battles 9 to 12 lately.

Why the variation? Possibly pure randomness. The only other possible explanation is a significant increase in the power of my arena team - not from improving a hero, but just be rearranging my team, substituting a higher power hero for a lower power hero.

Either way, such a drastic increase in GW difficulty is unwarranted. It shouldn't be easy, but it also shouldn't swing between easy and borderline impossible.

Replies

• Options
    I have yet to complete GW. If im very lucky I get through to battle 10.....if im very lucky.

Since the update virtually every day from battle 3 onwards I am running into maxed out lvl 70 teams....and it aint funny

Prior to update I was getting to battle 10 almost everyday and coming across high lvl teams from 8 onwards and was thinking a few tweeks and a little more development and I cracked it.....then update and bam....back to square one.

I dont pay to play and appreciate there will always be a little disparity but since update some days I struggle to pull 400 shards

Its gone a bit silly but hey ho the game passes an hour or so.

Like any game it will become more and more P2P focused.....but what online FREE game doesnt. At present at least this has decent F2P content with 95% of characters obtainable
  • Options
    I used to struggle a lot with Galactic Wars, until a few days ago when I completed 2 in consecutive days.

Ever since, I've only been able to get maybe 3/4 of the way through...

I don't understand why the sudden increase in difficulty all of a sudden too.
  • Options
    It's interesting though that arena team power may be a variable in GW difficulty. I've not seen speculation to that effect. Arena rank, GW team power, top 5 hero power have all been suggested as factors in GW difficulty, but not arena team power. Yet going from 26,500 to 27,500 seems to have made a big difference, even with no other changes.

Sample size of one, of course, but looking back it's happened to me before, although in those cases there were other possible variables (higher arena rank, higher power for my top 5 heroes).
  • Options
    People have posted a reddit thread where a dev confirmed that both highest arena rank and power of your top 5 characters plus some "maths" help determine your GW pairings.

I've noticed that there can be a big swing in difficulty, too. Once I hit level 64 the difficulty increased a lot, either due to my level or something I did to my top 5. I went through at least 2 suicide squads per day. Then yesterday (a couple days after hitting 70, though my top toons are 63-65) I breezed through without losing a single toon. Then today the first node was all level 55's, gear 5-6 and 4-5 stars. Node 2 was all level 66-67, gear 7-8, 5-6 stars. Node 3 was back like node 1.
  • Options
    I beat GW every day, and have for 40 something straight days. The thing is I don't feel like I accomplish much.

Typical GW:

Two fights vs. inferior opponents, followed by a gauntlet of level 70 26k+ power teams. Usually I don't lose more than one or two heroes throughout the entire campaign, but the sheer nature of it is maddening.

I have very deep roster of 30+ level 70 5* or greater, with 20+ 7* max gear toons. Some fights post the two easy ones I can win outright. But some of them, require retreating and changing my roster around again and again and again until I have the proper hero placement for a flawless victory.

The thing is, there is no rhyme or reason to it. I can switch out a clearly superior character, sometimes, for an inferior character and that is the key to winning, not because of strategy or because of anything other than the RNG changes. I can swap out Rey who misses on her first attack for Royal Guard who doesn't miss and somehow it changes the oppositions Dooku from a two hero stun to a resist. Sometimes I feel more like I'm a playing Rock Band really slowly as opposed to a turn based strategy game.
  • Yuri
    173 posts Member
    Options
    I couldn't agree more.
  • Options
    But the reward is decent.
  • SlyGambit
    1246 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    The thing is, there is no rhyme or reason to it. I can switch out a clearly superior character, sometimes, for an inferior character and that is the key to winning, not because of strategy or because of anything other than the RNG changes. I can swap out Rey who misses on her first attack for Royal Guard who doesn't miss and somehow it changes the oppositions Dooku from a two hero stun to a resist. Sometimes I feel more like I'm a playing Rock Band really slowly as opposed to a turn based strategy game.

This. It's awful. They removed real strategy and replaced it with essentially first turn dice rolling. I now have a rotation of stunners (Eeth/Dooku/Daka) that I rotate in on retreats until I can get a stun on whichever OP synergized combo player I've facing this round. I have a rotation of healers. I have a rotation of DPS. I just move them in or out until I find a combo that gets good RNG.

Like you today I've only had two sub-25k teams I faced. I'm on the 9th node and am staring at a QGJ (L), Yoda, FOTP, Lumi, and Rey. All 7 star but Rey @ 6*. This is after facing 4 Sid/GeoS/Poggle teams or Phasma/Daka/Dooku teams. I know how to beat that team but beating it without incurring enough losses to hurt my chances to go farther is pretty much impossible. Because of the 1st turn speed and dps it is not possible to bring in a bench team as they get wiped without doing any damage and often without forcing the enemy to use their specials.

I'll still probably beat it but it's not going to give me any kind of satisfaction. I just have to find the magic combination, regardless of synergies or logical attack patterns, and go from there.
  • MBL_66
    2465 posts Member
    Options
    I agree, I didn't play GW for like three days last week because I got annoyed with just moving characters around or changing my attack pattern until I hit the right rng. But then I went back since I realized that I was only three days away from hitting 7* Poggle
  • Options
    Random it is!! Yesterday I ran the table. ..today I didn't get past the second battle even tho my team was actually stronger. ..so ya...pretty random
  • Options
    GW has killed any and all enjoyment I got out of this. Day after day of getting thoroughly rolled by teams I don't stand a remote chance against, over and over again, because some absolute genius thought "hey, let's match it to someone's highest rank ever!"

I started on a fresh server. I was able to get myself to rank 12 early on before being curbstomped back to about 1200 overnight. Now I'm lucky to push 450. But your brilliant (seriously, just plain ingenious) system of 'highest rank ever' means I'll be forever outmatched to an absurd degree.

My two options now are: restart and never, ever touch the **** arena ever, so I can enjoy GW, or uninstall. Since I have no desire to reinvest the dollars I spent (nor will I throw more at you just to start enjoying the game again), I'm out.
    Peace.
  • Options
    Can I have your stuff?
  • Options
    I think applies to arena as well. Arena is such a pile o crap and so random...getting beat by lower version characters of my own every day is awesome and loads of fun.
  • Options
    ....actually I think you posted about arena..I'm not sure but I agree haha
  • Bon_El
    435 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @Devour " but the sheer nature of it is maddening.
    ..... But some of them, require retreating and changing my roster around again and again and again until I have the proper hero placement for a flawless victory.
    The thing is, there is no rhyme or reason to it. I can switch out a clearly superior character, sometimes, for an inferior character and that is the key to winning, not because of strategy or because of anything other than the RNG changes. I can swap out Rey who misses on her first attack for Royal Guard who doesn't miss and somehow it changes the oppositions Dooku from a two hero stun to a resist."...

I absolutely agree!
    I haven't enjoyed your win rate but most likely because I don't have the patience/time to try every possible combo in an attempt to come up with the lucky roll. Why switching the 4th & 5th place char's would change the entire battle isn't logical. Say AI goes after spot 4 & kills an important char. You switch 4 & 5 and AI still goes after spot 4 & changes everything (Doesn't work every time). That's not smart strategy, it's silly, it's not logical and, yes, it's maddening. There's no satisfaction from a well-earned win, just relief that it's over. A couple times I've felt like the AI took pity on me after @100 tries & softened up.-? I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this??
    Way too much of a random slot machine.

Edit: I posted in another place I'd love to see 2 buttons in GW. A 'Retreat' that saves immediate progress like before. And a new 'Abort' or 'Reset' with the functionality of the current retreat button. It would be more strategy, more fun & less maddening.
    ~ There is a great disturbance in the forum. ~
  • Options
    Shut up Meg
  • Options
    Update. Got through 7* QGJ/Yoda/Rey/FOTP/Lumi team on 9th node. Luke instead of IG-86 was the magic 8 ball that changed from losing 4 toons to losing just 2 (JC/Luke). Now face Sid/GeoS/Poggle/IG-88/Lumi team. Level 70 7* Max gear etc. And I feel a little bit relieved.
  • Options
    Sweet. Got a couple magic rolls and only lost Qui Gon.

Next up on the 11th node I get Qui Gon, Ben Kenobi, Geo Soldier, Poe, and Leia. All 7* level 70 max gear.

So excited for this new opportunity!
  • Options
    I thought gw were supposed to increase in difficulty. But I'm getting impossible match ups like 4 or 5 battles in. Crews that are all 5+ levels above me. No way to win. Makes me want to just quit the game. Anyone else.
  • Options
    Please use the search function. I personally do not have problems with GW, but many people do feel the same way you do. There are likely dozens of threads about this where you can commiserate about your GW troubles.
  • SaintEaters
    412 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I have a theory on this. In the achievements you'll see GW completions. I'm at 29 right now. Each time I complete it it gets harder. I'll attach a pic of my first game match in my current one and you'll see what I mean. And this is actually not the worst game one I've had recently. The worst was 7* team at lvl 70 and abilities at 5 and 6 across the the board.

When I started the teams I played were like lvl 40. As I got to lvl 70 the lvl of my opponent raised also but the star ratings stayed low. The more I complete GW, the higher the stars on on all teams I play.

Right now I'm paying pretty much maxed out teams in all games, including abilities. Allot of the later teams I play are like top arena teams on all servers, not just mine.

Edit: I can't figure out how to add an image to the post on my phone so I'll just post the link.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw10fbhVlpRwcW03UEdHemlKS3c/view?usp=docslist_api
  • Options
    NO! ...and yes.

Its funny; When I first opened GW I didn't actually play it because I had heard it was hella hard. I then randomly chose to see what it was all about (Most of my team was 4* by then) and beat it on auto. Then I beat it the next day on auto... Five days in a row I won with losing only one character, once.

Then BAM - 6th time I made it to round 3 and got crushed. Then got crushed the next day.

Now I'm winning it probably the way they expect me to; Like a severe game of chess. I can be losing a battle 5 times retreating and reentering and out of nowhere I decide to hit the "right" character and it snowballs into the odds being in my favor. It's as if the game decides I can only win by hitting certain characters in a certain order.

Random chance my ****.

I even dropped in Arena ranks as I had read GW is based on that, but dropping to 4000 from 120 didn't seem to do anything. I was stilling barely getting halfway through each GW. Really what seems to do it now is having an A team go in and clear out most of the battles and then I start using my garbage characters to knock out the real PITA opponents in a sacrifice.... finishing off with whats left of my A Team.

Give it a week a so. At some point the game will decide to stop being impossible.
  • Options
    Shew. That was hard. The key was figuring out that by putting Luminara as my lead I wouldn't actually dodge anything more but Leia wouldn't proc her 2nd attack on her first turn. That was all it took. Thank God I've learned a valuable lesson that Lumi's leadership ability to prevent people from processing extra attacks is the key to winning battles.

Not. Dumb. At all.

12th node I get to fight max Sid(L), Poggle, Luminara, IG-88, and IG-86. Looking forward to finding out what magical skilled move will win that one.
  • Options
    No tricks on the final node. I got perfect RNG on my first try (clearly Sid as lead means perfect RNG). A stun on IG-86, a crit on IG-88, and an ability block on Luminara. 86 and 88 were out of the fight without a turn and Luminara and Sid were out second turn having done nothing. Poor Poggle all by himself could not withstand my awesome RNG.

I got an IG-100 shard. Totally legit payout.
  • Options
    I agree, I didn't play GW for like three days last week because I got annoyed with just moving characters around or changing my attack pattern until I hit the right rng. But then I went back since I realized that I was only three days away from hitting 7* Poggle

But it's not about finding the "right rng" - it's about synergizing and coming up with a team that is a good counter to the type of team you are fighting.

I actually enjoy GW as it makes me think. It also lets me try different combos against different types of teams. In the past week, I have faced highly geared droid teams with Poggle, Jedi teams, anti-Jedi teams (Vader, Sid, Dooku, IG88, etc.) tough "mixed" teams, etc. As such, I have gained a better understanding about what toons are good counters to different types of teams. The opponent has Chewie and some glass cannons? Send in QGJ to pull off Chewie's taunt and go to work on the toons.

There have been several posts begging for some sort of "practice" area - that's what GW is - especially in the beginning levels when you can mix and match your "lesser" toons and try different combos and tactics.

In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

But it's not about finding the "right rng" - it's about synergizing and coming up with a team that is a good counter to the type of team you are fighting.

I actually enjoy GW as it makes me think. It also lets me try different combos against different types of teams. In the past week, I have faced highly geared droid teams with Poggle, Jedi teams, anti-Jedi teams (Vader, Sid, Dooku, IG88, etc.) tough "mixed" teams, etc. As such, I have gained a better understanding about what toons are good counters to different types of teams. The opponent has Chewie and some glass cannons? Send in QGJ to pull off Chewie's taunt and go to work on the toons.

There have been several posts begging for some sort of "practice" area - that's what GW is - especially in the beginning levels when you can mix and match your "lesser" toons and try different combos and tactics.

I mostly agree, but he is saying you have that synergy but having Asajj in the second roster spot and moving her to the third can alter the outcome based on the "right rng" which is the lack of strategy. At least that's what I got from it.
  • Options
    For me, It getting a bit easier lately.
    However, I've notice that a lot of time(would like to say everytime)
    Node 6-9 are way harder than 10-12
    Dunno because of team composition that go against mine
    or RNG trigger.
  • MBL_66
    2465 posts Member
    Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

I mostly agree, but he is saying you have that synergy but having Asajj in the second roster spot and moving her to the third can alter the outcome based on the "right rng" which is the lack of strategy. At least that's what I got from it.

Yea there's nothing wrong with our teams I'm assuming we all have solid teams. You can have the best team but depending on the dice rolls you can lose a few heroes or wipe them out without a scratch and the rng makes a huge difference when you're fighting maxed 7* teams from fight #4
  • Options
    For the last 2 weeks I have had super easy GWs. Today I only faced 1 level 70 team and most of my opponents ranged between level 58 and 62. I didn't lose a single character and only had to retreat in 1 battle a few times before I figured a way to beat the other team without anyone dying.
  • Options
    [quote="Nikoms565;130098"

[/quote]

Opposing Dooku double stuns Resistance Pilot and trooper, Rey misses, Opposing Sid AEs critting on everyone. Poe taunts, lands 0 exposes. Opposing Lumi kills Poe. Opposing Phasma does his turn meter thing. Everyone hits Resistance trooper, killing him........

Switch Finn and Rey in slots 4 and 5. Dooku stun is resisted, Sid AE only hits for one crit, Rey kills opposing Sid. Poe taunts landing 3 exposes. Resistance trooper kills Dooku. Resistance pilot kills Lumi.....

So I guess the synergy was having Rey on Finn's left side, instead of his right? Because everyone knows Finn is right handed and seeing Rey is distracting.

Exact same team, vastly different results. It's about finding the "right rng".