What defines a whale to you?

Prev1
I want to know what defines a whale. I read one person's statement that they weren't a whale spending $60 a week. No offense to anyone but that is way beyond my budget. Since December 17 I've spent $21 and I feel that was alright given the time I've gotten out of the game, I would've spent more on other entertainment. That leads me to this, I'm also curious if you feel the money you spent was worth it short term (did you get your toon or whatever or have to keep grinding). I feel like most times I didn't really get much for the money spent but again I get hours of game play so it's alright.

Replies

• Options
    I'd say a whale is anyone that has a 7 star

Darth Maul
    Lando Calrissian
    Princess Leia
    Aayla Secura
    Kit Fisto
    Cad Bane
    Rex
    OR Obi-Wan Kenobi
  • Options
    Someone who owns toons not easily farmed then?
  • Options
    Exactly what that good man said ^^
    IsThisThom
    "Consider that a divorce"
    - Douglas Quaid
  • Options
    I feel like a whale is anyone that payee their way to a competitive team. 60$ a week seems pretty whale like to me but rng still has to be on their side. According to some research study a whale was anyone that spends more than 50$ a month on a mobile game. I don't remember who did the study but that's just a way to define them across the board. This game seems like you have to spend a bit more than that to be truly whaley.
  • Options
    Someone who owns toons not easily farmed then?

No someone that owns 7 star versions of toons that can only be found in Chromium packs. Anyone can save up crystals for a chromium pack and get lucky, but in order to own a 7 star version of any of chromium only characters they would have to buy ALOT of packs.
  • Fher
    188 posts Member
    Options
    As a long time gamer, since at least 1985, I didn't really start working for my own video games until 1994 when I was a teenager, but it was very common to buy a video game on average about once a month or every other month, and they're price range were between $15-$20. Today's video games go for around $60 each. Assuming you don't spend money on any other game, I think $60 a month would equate to buying a game a month on any other console, so I wouldn't define that as a whale. In fact any teenager could afford that.

For the grown up community in the mid twenties and up, they can easily afford $200 a month without kill their budget. That I still wouldn't consider a whale. A whale I would consider $300-$500 a week. In the 3 months I've been playing I must have spent around $1200, which would categorize me as a minor whale. The major blue whales from Team Instict spend upwards to $1500-$2000 a month on this game.
  • Options
    giphy.gif

B)
  • Options
    I find it odd people invest so much into a crude phone game.

I use my iPad thank you very much! And if I didn't invest in this game, I'd probably spend it on booze. Oh wait.. Never mind
  • Options
    $60 a week is about $240 a month. 4 months and he reaches the $1K that seems to be what is considered beginnings of a whale around here.
  • Rolf
    1032 posts Member
    Options
    It's obviously subjective, so there's no "official definition".

Personally I'd go with anyone willing to spend enough to get a heavy advantage in the game. For this game it means 7*'ing, levelling, gearing the strongest characters quickly enough to keep ahead of the pack.

Mega-Whales are the ones who spend in the several thousand-dollar range any time something changes, (i.e. a new character comes out, a level cap is raised, meta change) just so they can have it immediately. Or spend enough to have *everything* just because they want it all.
    My ally code: 296-673-769. Wish we could have more than 35.
  • Options
    Whales are what keep this game in business. I guess I'm considered a whale...spend $50-100 per month, which is what I used to spend on PC/console gaming before I got rid of my systems and went mobile (new job requires ~80% travel time so mobile is my new platform). I'm not a huge fan of the term "whale", since it seems to be have derogatory connotations around here.

Everyone in the world has a least one vice that he/she spends excessive amounts of money because it brings enjoyment. Mine are fitness, drumming, and games. Compared to most people, I spend excessively on each by quite a margin. But it doesn't break the bank and makes me happy ;) Okay, off the soapbox now.
  • SpeedWeed
    504 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    A whale on a new server would be lvl 70 when most ppl on arena is only lvl 5x 6x

Someone with a 7* chromium only would be a whale since u can't farm them.

Getting a 7* requires 330 shards. ( pls correct me if I am wrong. )

With the exchange rate at 50% when u pick up a 4* u already have.

330-80 250

Unlocking a 4* Ben u already have means 40 shards.

That means u need minimum 6 full character drop plus a shard pack drop to full 7 star a Chromium only.

We all seen how chromium rolls. Only an extremely lucky guy would get multiple old Ben in a pull.
  • Options
    Ok, let me offer a fresh perspective. Spending money on mobile gaming is no different from spending money on ANY hobby you are currently involved in. Just replace mobile game spending with for example, comic books, cloths, technology, etc... Have you seen what a good pair of sneakers cost? How many ppl own a North Face jacket? Those are very expensive jackets would you consider them whales because they paid that much for a jacket?
  • Options
    Reddplague wrote: »
    Ok, let me offer a fresh perspective. Spending money on mobile gaming is no different from spending money on ANY hobby you are currently involved in. Just replace mobile game spending with for example, comic books, cloths, technology, etc... Have you seen what a good pair of sneakers cost? How many ppl own a North Face jacket? Those are very expensive jackets would you consider them whales because they paid that much for a jacket?

PREACH

How about someone who golfs 3-4x/week (and buys a $1k set of irons every other year) or a hunting enthusiast who owns 20+ guns?
  • Options
    Reddplague wrote: »

PREACH

How about someone who golfs 3-4x/week (and buys a $1k set of irons every other year) or a hunting enthusiast who owns 20+ guns?

Yes! Exactly. Ppl seam to forget what they spend in everyday life but, some how spending money on mobile games are evil.
  • Options
    As a whale, I spend about $200 a day. I am on disability and I work part time and I live in my parent's attic space so I don't pay rent. I love Star Wars though!!
  • Rolf
    1032 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Whales are what keep this game in business. I guess I'm considered a whale...spend $50-100 per month, which is what I used to spend on PC/console gaming before I got rid of my systems and went mobile (new job requires ~80% travel time so mobile is my new platform). I'm not a huge fan of the term "whale", since it seems to be have derogatory connotations around here.

Everyone in the world has a least one vice that he/she spends excessive amounts of money because it brings enjoyment. Mine are fitness, drumming, and games. Compared to most people, I spend excessively on each by quite a margin. But it doesn't break the bank and makes me happy ;) Okay, off the soapbox now.
    I agree with you, I think Whales get a bad rap. (In Marvel Puzzle Quest, Deadpool has a power called "Whales, Whales, Whales" that even has a cash register "ka-ching" sound.) :p

If it's something you can afford and enjoy, then who is anyone else to tell you whether it's ok? And as you say, there'd be no game for the rest of us it weren't for the spenders. It's a free internet, spend as you see fit, I say. OP was just curious about the dimensions of Whale-dom.
    My ally code: 296-673-769. Wish we could have more than 35.
  • Options
    Whales are what keep this game in business....
    I'm not a huge fan of the term "whale", since it seems to be have derogatory connotations around
    No worries, I'm not slamming a soul. I personally go to work and sell my time to buy things from others who sell their time. I have things I throw money away on, certainly. (My words about My hobbies, not anyone else
  • Options
    Rolf wrote: »
    I agree with you, I think Whales get a bad rap. If it's something you can afford and enjoy, then who is anyone else to tell you whether it's ok? It's a free internet, spend as you see fit, I say.

+1
  • Options
    As a whale, I spend about $200 a day. I am on disability and I work part time and I live in my parent's attic space so I don't pay rent. I love Star Wars though!!

I'm also not too far away from having every toon to at least 5*! Yes. Every toon.
  • Robbathehutt
    1048 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    [SNIP]
    [Moderator Note: Edited per our Community Guidelines]
    Post edited by Afista on
  • oahteilrahc
    91 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    SNIP
    Everyone has their own spending pleasures. Mine just happens to be Star Wars things.
    [Moderator Note: Edited to remove moderated quote]
    Post edited by Afista on
  • Robbathehutt
    1048 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Everyone has their own spending pleasures. Mine just happens to be Star Wars things.
    I know alot of people on disability including myself and I don't know anyone that makes even close to $6K a month or more. In fact the most I've ever heard anyone make on disability is around $2500 a month.
    [SNIP]
    [Moderator Note: Edited to remove moderated quote]
    Post edited by Afista on
  • oahteilrahc
    91 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    SNIP
    I know alot of people on disability including myself and I don't know anyone that makes even close to $6K a month or more. In fact the most I've ever heard anyone make on disability is around $2500 a month.
    You're talking Social Security disability, yes, I know, the max is around $2500 or even less than that, I am on private disability!!
    Post edited by Afista on
  • Robbathehutt
    1048 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    You're talking Social Security disability, yes, I know, the max is around $2500 or even less than that, I am on private disability!!

I didn't assume. I said not sure if serious.
    Post edited by Afista on
  • DarthSwole
    34 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

I just went through your post history real quick and found the gem you posted 7 days ago about how u said you were F2P.
    Post edited by Afista on
  • Options
    I'd say a whale is anyone that has a 7 star

Darth Maul
    Lando Calrissian
    Princess Leia
    Aayla Secura
    Kit Fisto
    Cad Bane
    Rex
    OR Obi-Wan Kenobi

Rob has it right. Anyone with a 7* non farmable character is pretty much a whale in my book.