Here is how GW works:

Prev134
Triqui
2790 posts Member
It uses your strongest arena power in a win. So, raising those last stars might matter. I wonder if there are brackets (more than 23000, 24000, etc)

Source, the real official forum, reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SWGalaxyOfHeroes/comments/469vj1/sad_post_i_was_wrong_about_galactic_war_using/

Replies

• Options
    Interesting. Thanks for posting.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Vampire_X
    1435 posts Moderator
    Options
    submitted an hour ago * by im-not-really-a-jedi
    Hey Guys,
    So some clarity here: A while back our server engineers were talking about using Arena Rank to calculate how we picked your opponents. For a while it was discussed that we were going to use your highest rank ever earned.
    This was my full understanding as to how it functioned, and I preached it to the hilt, as you can see here.
    In my discussions as to how we could fix GW, it became apparent that I was wrong. It went something like this:
    Im-Not-Really-A-Jedi: "So why are we using Arena Rank when the pool of people will change over time?"
    Awesome Server Dude: "What are you talking about?"
    INRAJ: "Arena Rank, why do we save their highest rank and then pick opponents against it?"
    ASD: "We don't. We decided not to use that method a while ago."
    INRAJ: "Wait. What?"
    ASD: "Yeah, we don't do that anymore. We just use their highest Squad Power now."
    INRAJ: "What?"
    ASD: "Are you okay, man? You don't look well."
    INRAJ: "I told Reddit we use Arena Ranks..."
    ASD: "Good luck with that."
    INRAJ: "..."
    ANYWAY, as you can see, we use SQUAD POWER to calculate your opponent and NOT ARENA RANK, and I was wroooooooooong.
    Now the good news: Awesome Server Dude thinks he's found the reason why GW keeps selecting those OP level 70 purple 7-stars for you, and he's working on a solution. The problem is that our server engineers are buried under a small mountain of work, so WHEN that fix will be ready is anyone's guess right now.
    I'm really sorry I was wrong, guys. I will always own up to my wrongness, and I mean it when I said that I'm here to help in the best way that I can--and that means making sure everything I say is 100% factual and true! :)
    Thanks!
    INRAJ
    EDIT: So here's EXACTLY how your opponents are figured, and where my confusion for Arena Rank came in:
    We use your LAST PVP SQUAD WIN so long as that power is greater than the last time you won. So we DO take it from Arena, just not RANK, just Squad Power.
    Wicked Sith Queen with the Pink Saber
  • Vampire_X
    1435 posts Moderator
    Options
    [–]B3475 [score hidden] 54 minutes ago
    If you have a weaker squad win than a previous win, does it go down? Or does it use your all-time highest powered wining pvp squad?
    permalinkparent
    [–]Blargh9182-175-221 [score hidden] 46 minutes ago
    so long as that power is greater than the last time you won
    Does not seem like sandbagging will work
    permalinkparent
    [–]im-not-really-a-jedi [score hidden] 20 minutes ago
    No, we lock your last highest. You cannot reduce it.
    permalinkparent
  • Options
    I don't believe this is accurate.

My highest Arena Rank: 83
    My total power: 25,500

Yet my GWs seem to be getting easier and easier by the day.
  • Vampire_X
    1435 posts Moderator
    Options
    Not really your competition against teams at or below your rank , where people who go 27/28k with bad synergy but strong chars get penalized against a better synergy team
  • Options

Do you just roll with your A Team? I have found GW has gotten easier, but I attribute that to the fact that I have tried to diversify. I keep adding a little to my arena team, but am really focusing on my B Team and other characters (Jedi, so I can get Yoda next month, for example).

I find that having these other options in GW has helped in terms of synergy and matching up my stengths with a GW team's weaknesses.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
  • Options
    Yeah, right now I'm honestly barely upgrading my characters, I'm literally just grinding out credits, shards, droids, gear etc. I'm barely upgrading/leveling anyone atm, all my mains are high 30s low 40s, yet if I run into a group thats low 50s I'm screwed. So, honestly, GW shouldn't be too insane for anyone till you hit your chars in the near 70, 6 and 7 star range, less than that, we're all just grinding, and if you can't even grind, that sucks.
  • Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

Do you just roll with your A Team? I have found GW has gotten easier, but I attribute that to the fact that I have tried to diversify. I keep adding a little to my arena team, but am really focusing on my B Team and other characters (Jedi, so I can get Yoda next month, for example).

I find that having these other options in GW has helped in terms of synergy and matching up my stengths with a GW team's weaknesses.

Yeah just my A Team.
  • Options
    That's actually brilliant. An elegant way to invite you to build a deep strong roaster instead of breezing through GW with a overleveled 5 - 6 characters team. Sadly, that really **** up my GW.
  • Options
    Red_Glare wrote: »
    That's actually brilliant. An elegant way to invite you to build a deep strong roaster instead of breezing through GW with a overleveled 5 - 6 characters team. Sadly, that really **** up my GW.

Yep. I like it for that reason. Glad to know this. It does change how I will construct my arena team moving forward.

• Options
    It would be an elegant solution if you didn't run into +10-15 lvl dps teams constantly. You can check individual character power levels for your opponents in GW, and adding them up I've seen teams nearly 50% higher in power rating than my arena team.

I realize there's a glitch that is being worked on that is the probable cause of this, but it takes GW from being challenging to completely lacking in fun or strategy when it triggers. Hopefully it's addressed sooner rather than later. Fighting teams that act first and 1 shot your characters with basic attacks negates any benefit from burner squads and leaves you with a bad taste for trying.
  • Options
    Red_Glare wrote: »

It would be an invite if they had told us. They didn't and now people has to live with consecuentes of choices they made, unknowing the risks
  • Options
    This is great information - thanks for posting!!!
  • Options

Yeah just my A Team.

I used to only use my a team and won...once. Then I took a bunch of losses lol. Now I have 3 squads I use in GW. I've got a NS c team that's good for the first few fights although they get on a roll sometimes. Then I've got a b team for yoda and Jedi and then I've got my DS a team. Everyone is not equally powered but I find this combo helps me progress and I've beaten it 3 days in a row now.
  • Options
    This to know is a point where the game makes mor fun.

But,

WHY ON REDDIT AND NOT HERE!
  • Options
    This was posted a couple hours ago here.

As I said in that thread it's false. Not going into as much detail, but my team is all 7* and gear 8 yet I'm lucky if I run into 2 GS teams that are 70. I only lose toons when I see I high lvl poe team were I need to sacrifice people to his taunt.

I might see one team a day close to my teams power rating (27,496). So no I don't believe this at all
  • Shooting4life
    211 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Breetai wrote: »
    This was posted a couple hours ago here.

As I said in that thread it's false. Not going into as much detail, but my team is all 7* and gear 8 yet I'm lucky if I run into 2 GS teams that are 70. I only lose toons when I see I high lvl poe team were I need to sacrifice people to his taunt.

I might see one team a day close to my teams power rating (27,496). So no I don't believe this at all

It still matches you with teams used in GW, not arena. Very few people use the same thing in arena as they use in gw, I don't. My gw team is probably 5k less in power than my arena team. So you would be matching up with people the same power as me but facing my gw team that only has 2 7 stars, 1 6 star, 1 5 star and 1 4 star where only 2 toons are up at lvl 70 but all are maxed gear.

If we fought arena teams instead of gw teams it would be extreamly more difficult.
  • Options
    This is why anything said outside of official forums by those who aren't duly appointed spokespeople needs to be taken with a big grain of salt, and even on the official forum as we learned from the last "less than complete" patch notes, it's still caveat emptor.
    Ally Code: 945-699-762
  • Lorenzo
    110 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    This certainly accords with my experience - and today caused a broken string of 10 plus GW completions. My ending arena team will have about 1,700 fewer power points today than yesterday. May cost me a few arena ranks, but it is worth it to complete GW.

Edit - to be clear, the OP is clearly and obviously correct. Switching out a hero to increase the power of my final winning arena team by 1,000 yesterday, and no other changes at all, caused a massive increase in GW difficulty, to the point that I had my worst GW performance in 2 months (9/12). I almost always go 12/12.
  • Options
    There's gotta be more to it. I know guys that have squads with the same power as my arena team that get super easy GW opponents. Where I'm getting fully lvld 70 teams from node 3 on.
  • Vampire_X
    1435 posts Moderator
    Options
    It only uses your highest arena power win number , it doesn't use your current arena team it uses gw teams from players also in your highest win number category and that explains why 45-55 is so easy compared to 55+ also
  • Options

This is the smartest strategy for the entire game.. Always be building a better B team.. & C team. & Diverse but synergistic teams is the way to go. This just helped me figure out why my GW is so easy. My highest ranking is 143 (yesterday) but all the teams out power me by 4000+. I have a wicked turn meter team. I have to do all my arena battles an hour before awards. Otherwise with my low squad power I become a target. I've just now started cracking the top 200. I have a squad B & C that are nothing to cry about either.
  • Options
    Start with Team Crit. Then go Team FO. Sub in Team Jedi if not going against Dooku + Sid. A team every other time.
  • Options
    This is why anything said outside of official forums by those who aren't duly appointed spokespeople needs to be taken with a big grain of salt, and even on the official forum as we learned from the last "less than complete" patch notes, it's still caveat emptor.

For some reason Reddit seems to be the official forums. That is where the developers comment. I keep this site and the Reddit site bookmarked so I can make sure I don't miss something. The post by INARJ is huge and I'm glad I saw it! Now that the Jedi event is over I was going to focus back on my arena team. Now I think I will leave them alone and keep working on my B and C teams instead.

• Options
    Has anyone got a list of character max power, unless I'm blind swgohdb doesn't list it
    Roger roger
  • Options
    Tony167 wrote: »
    There's gotta be more to it. I know guys that have squads with the same power as my arena team that get super easy GW opponents. Where I'm getting fully lvld 70 teams from node 3 on.

@Tony167 when did you start playing? I encoubter the same phenomenon so im wondering if there isnt also a limitation due to the time you started playing
  • Options
    NOT trolling, just curious. What if you don't do arena at all or you have never won an arena match?
  • Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    Options
    Mclohan wrote: »
    NOT trolling, just curious. What if you don't do arena at all or you have never won an arena match?

You do what often happens when users do things that Programmers did not expect. You break the game :)

I'm sure that it is not JUST the arena power. But if matters. Now that I know, I realize it, my GW jumped in difficulty a bit a week ago. Right when I broke 24000 arena power
  • Options
    I'm very much glad that GW isn't based on your highest arena score. Early on I managed sneak into #8 with just starters and a one star. That would have really made things difficult.
  • Options
    Cool ... so lets find the best/strongest arena team with the lowest "power" :smiley:
    Left by design.
    The fixed payout times are the worst part of this game and makes it absolutely family-unfriendly.