Thinking about a $99 crystal pack... should I?

bigspring78
99 posts Member
edited February 2016
I saw this coming, but the meta is catching up to the FTP Arena team I had been farming from Day 1: Phasma, Kylo, Lumi, Daka, Sidious. I have maxed them all, and after being a regular in the top 20, I drop as far as #50 on a daily basis. The team is just too easy to pick off.

I have been building a speed/damage meta team, and I'm close, but I have some work to do.

Anyway, I have never made a large purchase before (just 2x 100-crystal /day deals). My reasoning for going after the $99 pack is that it has the best rate of return, and it probably means I never have to spend on this game again. I'm pretty confident I would have the discipline to not spend anymore after that.

My plan would be to use it for 2x Cantina refreshes per day, 3x Energy refreshes per day, and 2x Arena refreshes per day if needed.

Anyone have any experience or strong feelings on the $99 pack? I know a lot of people have made a lot of very angry posts about not getting their money's worth in various ways.

Replies

• Options
    Yes.
  • Options
    Care to elaborate? :)
  • Options
    No.
  • Options
    Hmm...
  • Options
  • Options
    if your using it for refreshes then yes your going to get the best bang for your buck. It's only really a rip off if you are wanting to get characters from chromium packs and you have a lot of 7* characters. then you end up getting taxed to death because all the EXTRA shards you get for already 7* characters are converted to essentially 1/10th their value then you can spend those in the **** shard shop that offers the same trash characters you already have at 7*.

again if only for refreshes i'd have no issues suggesting you go right ahead. Just stay away from chromium packs and you shouldn't really regret it. It'll speed up your progression quite abit and let you open up more characters to use faster then otherwise.
  • Options
    I just bought one. Best bang for your buck. Use it to stay afloat, at the very least 2 cantina and 3-4 energy refreshes will will hopefully catapult you back into the top bracket where you can support your crystal habit :)
  • Options
    saying you will never HAVE to spend on this game is a lie to yourself

you will be in the same boat you are now, someday, somehere, over the rainbow....

lol

but yes it's the best bang for your buck "at the current moment"
  • Options
    It's good, unless as mentioned above you want it to get chromium toons, they would cost way more than $100 to become useful.

But for refreshes its a lot better than buying a low level and then doing it again and again
    "I find your lack of faith disturbing" - Darth Vader
  • Options
    ...and it probably means I never have to spend on this game again. I'm pretty confident I would have the discipline to not spend anymore after that.

It might seem like that, but I would guess it won't work out like that. The one night you go out and get drunk, you'll come home and start buying Chromium packs. Good luck with that. :smiley:
  • Options
    DarthThai wrote: »
    ...and it probably means I never have to spend on this game again. I'm pretty confident I would have the discipline to not spend anymore after that.

It might seem like that, but I would guess it won't work out like that. The one night you go out and get drunk, you'll come home and start buying Chromium packs. Good luck with that. :smiley:

Honestly that sounds like a G.D. nightmare.
  • Options
    I've gone on 2 drunken crono sprees.....been good since then (last was in late Dec )...but of your gonna spend $ n you now it'll be more then a few $20 gem packs, then go ahead and go full ****, n buy the $100 pack. You'll enjoy the faster grind.....bUT there is on worry..... farming has been a P.I.T.A lately...but I'll be faster then the slow.grind of ftp.

For me Finishing I'm the top5 helps with my refreshing. ...been 1st 3x ,4th once ,top10 2x n top20 once......makes life alot easier, n I love the fast grind.
  • Options
    Learned my lesson with online poker. I'd start with a couple hundred, run it up to a couple thousand through careful, smart play, then I'd come home drunk one night and was sure I could play $5/$10 NL and beat the game...The next day, I'd deposit another couple hundred. :wink::smiley:
  • Options
    If you are Doing two Cantina plus 4 regular you are about 300 crystals a day short with a top 20 finishes.

So you will need to spend close to $100 per month to sustain that crystal burn rate
  • Options
    Fighton wrote: »
    I've gone on 2 drunken crono sprees.....been good since then (last was in late Dec )...but of your gonna spend $ n you now it'll be more then a few $20 gem packs, then go ahead and go full ****, n buy the $100 pack. You'll enjoy the faster grind.....bUT there is on worry..... farming has been a P.I.T.A lately...but I'll be faster then the slow.grind of ftp.

For me Finishing I'm the top5 helps with my refreshing. ...been 1st 3x ,4th once ,top10 2x n top20 once......makes life alot easier, n I love the fast grind.

roflmao same thing

2 chrono sprees of like 5-6 eight packs

insta regret the next morning lol
  • Options
    Greg1920 wrote: »
    If you are Doing two Cantina plus 4 regular you are about 300 crystals a day short with a top 20 finishes.

So you will need to spend close to $100 per month to sustain that crystal burn rate

I am hoping I won't need to do that for long though -- hopefully just long enough to get me into the Top 5. If I'm not by then, well, I will try to do the smart thing and wean myself off the game completely.
  • Options
    I wouldn't have the self control if I did it!
  • Options
    If you're ever planning on buying crystals at some point and you have an extra $100 to spend on the game then it is definitely the best buy for your dollar (aside from crystal sub). If you strictly stick to energy/cantina refreshes and can place top 10 or 20 in arena it should last you a couple of months.
  • Options
    Don't do it, it's not really worth the money
  • Options
    If you think you'll get $99 worth of enjoyment and entertainment out of it, of course you should.

If you're looking for some cost-benefit analysis or to receive some "equal value" for an imagined "investment," no, of course not.
  • Options
    if u must buy.

wait for the next major character pack.

$100 does not go very far on chromium
  • Options
    Buy one 8 pack. If that doesn't teach you then buy more lol. I know the odds are terrible etc but I still like to buy one occasionally.
  • Fighton
    308 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Buy far this is one of the worst things you could do with your money.......

*****IT's $TUPID******

but if it allows you to enjoy the game, at the pace you want to play it at, then have fun. Helll I just bought $50 , n bought a crono (because it's been so long,n I only need 5 toon) yep it was dumb, I recorded it, just so my line buddies n I could laugh as assse$ off at me......have fun....if you can buy $100 in gems do it. If you wife is gonna kill you......HIDE IT!!!
  • Reyia
    1171 posts Member
    Options
    Yes just buy the $99 pack. The same pack cost $159.99 here and I buy that without even thinking about it. People spend more than that on cigarettes in a week or a night out at the pubs.
  • Options
    Do it man !
  • Options
    Fighton wrote: »
    Buy far this is one of the worst things you could do with your money.......

*****IT's $TUPID******

but if it allows you to enjoy the game, at the pace you want to play it at, then have fun. Helll I just bought $50 , n bought a crono (because it's been so long,n I only need 5 toon) yep it was dumb, I recorded it, just so my line buddies n I could laugh as assse$ off at me......have fun....if you can buy $100 in gems do it. If you wife is gonna kill you......HIDE IT!!!

• Options
    Yaaaa!
  • Options
    My only purchase in this game has been the $5 Dooku pack when I first started. I've managed to build a decent team that finishes consistently under 100 daily. Between the 100 crystals for that, 50ish from dailies and whatever GW pays out I can do 1x Cantina and 2x Energy refreshes a day and maintain my current balance of 2000 crystals. I have those banked for if I ever want to hurry something up someday. So currently you are in a similar position to me. Personally I'm fine finishing each day where I am but if you want to be in the 11-20 range daily that would provide you with an extra 100 crystals a day which would give you a 3rd Energy refresh.

Now to get there you are considering spending $100 which will net you 15,710 crystals. Assuming you are currently pulling in 200 a day like I am and you want 2x Cantina (300 crystals), 3x Energy (200 crystals), and 2x Arena (100 crystals) refreshes a day those crystals you bought would last you about 40 days as you'd be burning through 400 of them daily. They would probably last even longer depending on how long it takes you to be back to under 20. Not a bad investment but personally I'd take a few more days to see how you are progressing with just the 1x Cantina and 2x Energy refreshes and if you aren't happy with it at that point make the purchase. Good luck!
  • Options
    it s expensive 99$. You can buy better stuff than just video game with that money B)