Battlefront 2 owners

Prev1
What offline game modes are available? Is it just a campaign or are there other modes to play. I can't find an explicit answer online... yet. I'm interested in buying the game tonight and will do so if I know there is more than just the campaign for offline players, such as myself.

Replies

• Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Options
    Hi Chucko - there is a good story campaign where you play as Iden Versio (Imperial Special Forces) during her quest/story she runs into iconic hero characters such as Luke, Han etc. When that happens you play those levels as the hero, such as Luke. It is a pretty good little story mode.

You then have Arcade Mode which is offline play as either single player, 2 player co-op or 2 player vs.

In arcade there are 2 modes of play:

1. Onslaught - kill x amount of enemy troops in x amount of time
    2. Team vs. Team

In arcade you either play as troops, heroes or both.

In arcade you have arcade challenges - which unlocks stuff by completing challenges or you have custom arcade.

Custom arcade still allows you to complete challenges (such as kill x amount of enemies with a lightsaber etc.) but allows you to customize your battles.

You can custom to play DS or LS and on what planet. You can also choose to play as a Hero only or Troops or both.

However certain locations are specific to certain factions. For example if you play on Tattooine, your faction is only either Rebels or Empire. If you play on Naboo your factions are only Separatists or CLones.

I wish they would make it so that you could play any faction on any location and increase the number of locations (such as including maps from the 1st Battlefront and its DLC - such as Bespin and Hoth).

I haven't started any of the multiplayer maps yet, as I am content at completing the offline challenges that gives you credits, crystals, free loot boxes to open, crafting materials (used to create and/or upgrade star cards etc).

Overall its a pretty fun game offline - I am looking forward to playing multiplayer.

The downside I have about the game (other than what I noted above re: locations etc) is the starship/vehicle controls - you'll see what I mean when you play it.

Hope you have found this helpful.
  • Options
    Thank you. You've given me a bunch of info. I don't want to have the same thing happen as with the first, buy it and feel like I wasted 60 bucks because it was an online geared game. With some assurance that the game is actually decent, I won't feel too bad about spending my hard earned cash on the game tonight if I can get out.
    I do wish they were named better, because technically this would be number 4. It would be awesome if they came out with an updated version of the original BF1 and BF2.
  • Chucko_marek
    3817 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_Battlefront_II_(2005_video_game)
    I have to say this was my favorite 360 game, almost of all time. Galactic conquest was awesome.
    Not to mention following the 501st for campaign was awesome since I'm a fan of the clones and specifically the 501st.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Options
    Me too! I loved the original BF2 - especially tweaking the game options so you could always play as the hero, lol.

My brother & friends all used to the load instant action maps and try to last the whole battle as a hero and not die, lol it was a challenge.

I wish thi snew BF2 had that playstyle as an option - the capture the flag/base scenarios of battle it was really fun. Not that the new isn't fun - its just always nice to have options.

The two things that annoyed me about the original BF2 was the ROTS music was over played. Playing as Darth Vader I would have preferred to hear the Imperial March music.

Also on the Bespin map DLC Luke had his green saber - he should have been pilot Luke with blue saber from the Hoth battle.

But I'm a picky person, lol
  • Options
    Boo wrote: »
    Me too! I loved the original BF2 - especially tweaking the game options so you could always play as the hero, lol.

My brother & friends all used to the load instant action maps and try to last the whole battle as a hero and not die, lol it was a challenge.

I wish thi snew BF2 had that playstyle as an option - the capture the flag/base scenarios of battle it was really fun. Not that the new isn't fun - its just always nice to have options.

The two things that annoyed me about the original BF2 was the ROTS music was over played. Playing as Darth Vader I would have preferred to hear the Imperial March music.

Also on the Bespin map DLC Luke had his green saber - he should have been pilot Luke with blue saber from the Hoth battle.

But I'm a picky person, lol

If the new BF2 had galactic conquest, I would've been sold. I think as a safety, I'm going to rent it for the day for 3 bucks and then see. I'd rather waste 3 than 63, just me being picky too.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Options
    I'd say its worth the buy - its still early days so more content will pop up with time.

As for Galactic Conquest - I wish they would release something like that for this game! Especially witht he introduction of ships - just LS vs DS or vice versa, it would be epic - similar to GW.

We would have a similar gameplay to GW taking planet orbital defenses by ship and then landing to take on ground forces to liberate or dominate a planet - I think something like this for end-game players of SWGOH would be astonishing.

But yest - it would have been most welcome in BF2 as well, lol
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention that Factions in arcade only apply to troops and either LS or DS not heroes.

So you can play as Darth Vader with a separatist faction but cannot play as Darth Vader with resistance faction.

You can play Luke with clones but cannot play as luke with FO faction - make sense?
  • Options
    I forgot to mention that Factions in arcade only apply to troops and either LS or DS not heroes.

So you can play as Darth Vader with a separatist faction but cannot play as Darth Vader with resistance faction.

You can play Luke with clones but cannot play as luke with FO faction - make sense?

Makes sense. IMHO, the game really isn't worth 60 bucks for the limited offline content. It's just campaign and arcade mode.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Options
    Its still pretty fun - I am sure they will add to that with future DLC too.

Also in multiplayer - I like how diverse it is. One moment I'm on a team of resistance storming Starkiller Base, then on Maz's Castle as FO, then on Kashyyk as clones holding back the separatist invasion - meanwhile multiple heroes can be on the battlefirled - fighting alongside other players as Luke, Rey and Yoda - 3 jedi all fighting together, its pretty cool.

But a big downside are those people who have already put a lot of time into the game are the first ones to score enough battlepoints to play as the heroes - so lower-end players never get a chance.

It should be if someone played as a hero once - they should not have the option to play as a hero if they are defeated - allowing other players a chance. Its a bit unfair in that regard.
  • Options
    Its still pretty fun - I am sure they will add to that with future DLC too.

Also in multiplayer - I like how diverse it is. One moment I'm on a team of resistance storming Starkiller Base, then on Maz's Castle as FO, then on Kashyyk as clones holding back the separatist invasion - meanwhile multiple heroes can be on the battlefirled - fighting alongside other players as Luke, Rey and Yoda - 3 jedi all fighting together, its pretty cool.

But a big downside are those people who have already put a lot of time into the game are the first ones to score enough battlepoints to play as the heroes - so lower-end players never get a chance.

It should be if someone played as a hero once - they should not have the option to play as a hero if they are defeated - allowing other players a chance. Its a bit unfair in that regard.

I hear that the game developers are in deep poodoo over the game, so I'm sure its only a matter of time before they try to save face. I also hear that launch day for the game was effected too.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Options
    Playing it last night - its also pretty glitch.

I constantly lose connection to the EA servers that just ends my game and pushes me back to the home page.

Also cut scenes on multiplayer maps (beginning and end) usually don't play and my screen is stuck looking up into an empty sky.

When running, my character resets several paces distance he has already run just to run it again. It's like the game is trying to load and catch up with itself - problematic when in battle trying to dodge blaster fire.

Also like I say, people that have already started playing and have made their toons stronger with unlocking star cards dominate the game, which means they get more battle points which allow them to play as heroes and heros ships etc. so that you are unable to play as these things, therefore missing out on being able to complete certain challenges granting rewards that update your star cards etc. - so essentially your progress in game becomes stuck.

They need to re-think the game design - but it may be too late for that.
  • Options

I constantly lose connection to the EA servers that just ends my game and pushes me back to the home page.

Also cut scenes on multiplayer maps (beginning and end) usually don't play and my screen is stuck looking up into an empty sky.

When running, my character resets several paces distance he has already run just to run it again. It's like the game is trying to load and catch up with itself - problematic when in battle trying to dodge blaster fire.

Also like I say, people that have already started playing and have made their toons stronger with unlocking star cards dominate the game, which means they get more battle points which allow them to play as heroes and heros ships etc. so that you are unable to play as these things, therefore missing out on being able to complete certain challenges granting rewards that update your star cards etc. - so essentially your progress in game becomes stuck.

What platform are you playing on cause I play on xbox 1 and havent had any of those issues you stated. Having all those loading issues and such sounds like an internet issue on your end to me. Are you on wifi or lan?

Edit: The only issue I have/had was issues exiting a match while in the waiting period between matches.. I would hit quit and it would just go back to waiting for match to start in 60 seconds or w/e. Then when you do get out of the match an error message pops up.
    From the patch notes that came out very recently I saw it say the error message pop up was fixed but havent played in the last day to see if the exiting a match was fixed yet.
  • Options

With 4% market drop, I'm sure they'll be forced to rethink.
  • Options
    It is visually pleasing. I think that that is all games have become, visual and no content. Gone are the days where a company released a game after making it as good as they can. Now if your black flag assassins creed doesnt take you to Nassau, uninstall and download the game off the servers. Believe it or not, there are some people who don't actually have the internet yet.
  • Options
    IFT-X the things I could do, the places I could go...
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Options
    I don't know why there is not an option in Arcade mode to allow you to fight as heroes against AI heroes - its so simple yet the dev team on BF2 just didn't put it in - its so weird.
  • Options
    I say 15 year anniversary release of both games, but 2020 release date would be evil to have to wait for.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Options
    I also don't know why there is not an arcade option to allow vehicles or an arcade starfighter assault option.

I find the new controls for starfighters and vehicles absolutely maddening - a chance to play and practice off-line would be awesome.

Also Hero v. Hero - arcade would be great, but I always thought (online or arcade) would be good to have interactive environments.

How cool would it be to fight through the Naboo hangar and power room/area in lightsaber combat?

Can you imagine having to pause your battle because you are in between those red energy gates like Maul & QGJ in the phantom manace? - Currently in BF2 if you go too far you die???? its so Dum8

Also why not add a saber lock when to lightsaber toons are battling - having to button bash to win or break free - I just feel the trailer lead everyone to believe that the lightsaber duels between heroes in this game was going to be epic and be more "real" than it ended up to be - a bit of bait & switch if you ask me, but certainly not hard to have included in the game.

Seriously, do they not have anyone with brains working on this game or something?
  • Options
    Seriously, do they not have anyone with brains working on this game or something?[/quote]

Now that you can download an update, you don't need to have a perfect game. Plus, how people shell out cash for pre-orders, you have to push games out as fast as possible, don't bother with a good game, as long as you get a title out every year, looking at you COD and Assassins Creed. I think Bethesda has to be one of my top game companies. Wolfenstein has amazing game play. I do have to say that Ubisoft got the point after the French Revolution game flopped.
  • Options
    I find the new controls for starfighters and vehicles absolutely maddening - a chance to play and practice off-line would be awesome.

Did they really make the controls worse? It was bad enough, playing with a real flight stick, that only the stick and two buttons worked - the throttle didn't, nor did the extra buttons that would have be easily mapped to the cards. Had to use the Stick+KB for what is pretty much the most basic flight model out there.
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • Options
    I'll give my opinion on it:

Bought it on launch day, did not pre-pay or buy anything extra, made that mistake with the first one.

Anyway - on a score of 1 to 10, I give this one a 5.

Reasons:

1.) Graphics are exceptional - the game looks amazing.
    2.) Gameplay is good - still a little wonky at times, I usually play Galactic Assault, I don't really bother with the ships.
    3.) The daily login loot crate thing is OK, it's whatever.
    4.) Battlepoints are kind of a joke. You need them to unlock different species (wookies, flame troopers, etc) as well as heroes. Once you spend the points on them and die, then you start at the bottom of the ladder again.
    5.) Load times - OMG - I don't know what the devs did to make this game load so slow, but it takes like a 1:30 to get from one screen to another, only to sit there for another 1:30...
    6.) Collecting rewards... you need to quit the game you're in to claim rewards for completing different tasks. That's fine and all, but insert the 1:30 to quit, 1:30 to go back in, 1:30 to get into a game again - you've wasted a decent amount of time just to claim rewards.

It's a fun game, looks outstanding, plays good - but is painfully slow to load. My recommendation is to hard-wire your system before trying to play the game otherwise, EA's servers will drop you.

Something funny though - I got an email from EA asking me to take a survey on BF2 which was mostly centered around the whole lootbox thing. It was 2 questions (first was asking if I would recommend the game to others, which I would, the second question was about my thoughts on the lootboxes).
  • Options
    kalidor wrote: »

Did they really make the controls worse? It was bad enough, playing with a real flight stick, that only the stick and two buttons worked - the throttle didn't, nor did the extra buttons that would have be easily mapped to the cards. Had to use the Stick+KB for what is pretty much the most basic flight model out there.

I think the Starfighter controls are great. Its by far the most fun I have in the game. Just my opinion tho.
  • Options
    Jamesm wrote: »

I think the Starfighter controls are great. Its by far the most fun I have in the game. Just my opinion tho.

What are you using as an input device? Game controller, flight stick, KB+M?
  • Options

Controller.
  • Options

Controller.

Ah, that's probably the difference. Due to the cross-platform nature of BF2, it's likely that the controller is well tested, and PC flight sticks aren't.
  • Options
    sneeyatch wrote: »

Bought it on launch day, did not pre-pay or buy anything extra, made that mistake with the first one.

Reasons:

2.) Gameplay is good - still a little wonky at times, I usually play Galactic Assault, I don't really bother with the ships.
    4.) Battlepoints are kind of a joke. You need them to unlock different species (wookies, flame troopers, etc) as well as heroes. Once you spend the points on them and die, then you start at the bottom of the ladder again.
    5.) Load times - OMG - I don't know what the devs did to make this game load so slow, but it takes like a 1:30 to get from one screen to another, only to sit there for another 1:30...
    6.) Collecting rewards... you need to quit the game you're in to claim rewards for completing different tasks. That's fine and all, but insert the 1:30 to quit, 1:30 to go back in, 1:30 to get into a game again - you've wasted a decent amount of time just to claim rewards.

It's a fun game, looks outstanding, plays good - but is painfully slow to load. My recommendation is to hard-wire your system before trying to play the game otherwise, EA's servers will drop you.

Something funny though - I got an email from EA asking me to take a survey on BF2 which was mostly centered around the whole lootbox thing. It was 2 questions (first was asking if I would recommend the game to others, which I would, the second question was about my thoughts on the lootboxes).

I didn't buy it, seems like the first one, more geared towards online content. Without an internet connection, I am a solid offline player. I did rent it. Graphics are good, the story line was ok for as far as I got into it, just a bit after the main character defects. Other than that, I believe it is not worth 60 dollars. I doubt it's really worth 30 right now. I did buy the new COD and Wolfenstein. COD is my next game to get into, but Wolfenstein is actually pretty good. Bethesda games knows whats going on. too bad they didn't get the SW game rights.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Options

Yes controls are worse. Throttle and spin are the same (Left) thumb stick, so press throttle up, even slightly at an angle sends your craft into a flat spin crashing into something - and sticking behind a fighter is tough - especially as there is no "lock on" feature for your targeting - very difficult.

Vehicles are worse, they are just worse.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Options
    sneeyatch wrote: »

Reasons:

Totally agree - 1:30 is generous, I am sure I have waited 4 mins at least. I play swgoh while BF2 is loading, lol - I even have time for arena fights while BF2 is loading.

Ship controls are awful and vehicle controls are even worse.

What was your response re: lootbox?
  • Options
    I love the game, and completely disagree with all the complaints of poor controls/scheme(at least while using a controller). Me being a huge Star Wars goober, and huge battles certainly help.

That said, the loot box debacle is/was terrible, and the loading and terrible design elements are even worse. I can't come up with a single good reason we can't mess with classes/cards while waiting for a match to start.