Empower Underutilized Synergies

Hi All,

First, thanks for creating the feedback section. I think it's great and will help both the community and development team organize ideas.

I would like to see more variety in both my opponents' squads and the viable squad builds I can pursue. With that thought in mind I hope to see a couple of directions explored.

First I would like to see more cross synergy characters. For example, Stormtrooper Han should be a Scoundrel, Rebel(maybe, since he hadn't actually joined the Rebellion yet), Tank, Human(still haven't found this to be a factor), and Light. The status as both a Rebel and a Scoundrel is a very simple change to implement, yet allows for a number of new squad synergies to be explored. Who else fits into more than one category?

What about providing a 5% def/off bonus to squads that are fully light/dark? After all, the similar often work well together and that's what we call synergy. How about providing a fully Nightsister squad, regardless of leader, with a 5% boost to heals?

Scoundrels seem particularly fragile. I define fragile as a character that is not able to survive 2 powerful AoEs or a single powerful attack that's the beneficiary of a single offensive buff. Cad Bane, Lando, Nute. Even with Lando's leadership bonus they're unlikely to attack once. Scoundrels also lack healing, so recovering health is challenging. Could Scoundrels receive a defense bonus?

Speaking of defense, that's another possible route to empowering other synergies. Consider just leadership skills for a moment. Which defensive leadership skills are there that provide a reduction in damage received? If one received 50 defense, how would it compare to a bonus of 10% offense? None of the defense provided by leadership skills are percentage based, and therefore they cannot scale as offensive ones do.

In the past we saw Darth Siduous and others enhanced with very specific anti-Jedi abilities, while 3 Jedi were nerfed. In my opinion this was a mistake because it hurt a player base that was guilty of nothing more than playing by the rules. It focused on hurting a particular faction and through a couple of specific characters. Maybe that was good for people that wanted to play Darth Siduous, but how did this help those interested in Rebel or Nightsister characters find balance or squad viability?

Consider the nature of changes being proposed. If they take, do they take from all in a manner that's balanced? If they provide, do they provide a specific need or opportunity for creative solutions on the part of the player base and community?

Thanks for taking the time to consider so much feedback. Both the game changes and the relationship between the devs and players have been positive and nice to be apart of lately.

Bochista of TI

Replies

• Options
    Good points Boch, Thank you.
  • Zemit
    45 posts Moderator
    Options
    Thanks mate let's review this please.
  • Options
    Heads up.. You premise is spot on, but the title of your thread sound like a pitch in the 90's to upper management about the need for employees access to the Internet.

.. Believe me, you do not want to fight that fight. FML. :/
  • Options
    Even if we really all do deserve the Interwebs?
  • Options
    This is definitely a good idea, you could have multiple different ones for a team as well, for instance;

All Jedi would get a Jedi one,
    Master and Padawan (example: qui gon + obi wan) could also add a boost or bonus to attack / def,
    Jedi council - 4 council members together gives another boost.

Same could be done for darkside with
    master and apprentice,
    Sith,
    empire
    Bounty hunters guild

And the other factions;
    Born to be a rebel
    And keeping it in the family - Vader, leia, Luke, kylo ren

There are so many you can do this with, it would also make people's teams more diverse rather than everyone just having the standard teams they do atm
  • Options
    I like the idea as well. Can makes some interesting combos. I want to run a bounty hunter team more than anything, just we don't have bounty hunters, we have scoundrels, and they are awful.

But if you think you'll see 10 different set ups in your arena bracket, then your wrong. As soon as the top players in your bracket starts running a team and finishing high with it, most will follow suite to the same exact team. This what happens NS on my bracket. People place fine with the team they have, but then because some of the top players changed around their team a little everyone else changes their team to be like them. I think I'm the only odd ball in my bracket because I still use FOTP
  • Matt_Gon_Jinn
    78 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I think the biggest thing that would improve team variety is multiple tags for characters that fit the bill. I.E. Han and Lando both being scoundrels and rebels, Darth Vader being empire and sith and so on.
  • Options
    Breetai wrote: »
    I like the idea as well. Can makes some interesting combos. I want to run a bounty hunter team more than anything, just we don't have bounty hunters, we have scoundrels, and they are awful.

But if you think you'll see 10 different set ups in your arena bracket, then your wrong. As soon as the top players in your bracket starts running a team and finishing high with it, most will follow suite to the same exact team. This what happens NS on my bracket. People place fine with the team they have, but then because some of the top players changed around their team a little everyone else changes their team to be like them. I think I'm the only odd ball in my bracket because I still use FOTP

Hi Breetai,

You're right about there being a lot of trending, and that's what creates the metas and meta shifts that we see. It's a fair point. The trending and copying start somewhere though, and it happens as people explore. I imagine the fun of seeing a multiple competitive trends being tweaked by further exploration and experimentation.

You're using FOTP without Phasma, making your squad even more uncommon. When I see something like that and wonder what you're up to is when I personally have fun. When I get defeated and surprised, needing to rethink my strategy is when I have the most fun.

It's the puzzle that drives my passion, and I'd love to see more of it and a variety of results from the ideas spawned by others passions.
  • Cyn
    76 posts Member
    Options
    I agree Bochista to an extent. I think the biggest problem is the disparity between defense and offense which is something you pointed out. A lot of squads are just not viable because they are slow but put out similar damage to fast characters. If we are to have a truly balanced game where team synergies can thrive than there needs to be an adjustment to the damage/speed mechanic. Someone that can outpace everyone shouldn't be able to put out so much damage that running a really tanky team is a liability.

I don't know how HP scales later on in the game compared to damage but perhaps as the game progresses HP will outpace damage and we are just in the odd place now of having too much damage before HP really starts to come online. Time will tell.
  • Options
    I do believe in expirmenting. If you seen my teams when I start my daily jump you'll notice I have different toons in trying things. When it's time to go against you and the rest for the top spot at rewards time, is when I go back to the team you see every day. It's the team that I have found is best for me.

Best example of following the leader is when you started useing old Ben, no one used him. It took me a couple days to counter it. Luckily I found a counter when I did because people in our bracket started useing old Ben. These people ranked 1st in their time slots anyways, but still changed to match you. If you notice I never switch my team to be like everyone else as I want counters, not the same thing.

I believe even now there are builds that no one has came up with yet that would be great. In a couple days I'll be switching my build almost entirely to try something. Chances are I'll drop, but maybe I'll find something great. I just need to get the toons ready to try it.
  • Options
    Cyn wrote: »
    I agree Bochista to an extent. I think the biggest problem is the disparity between defense and offense which is something you pointed out. A lot of squads are just not viable because they are slow but put out similar damage to fast characters. If we are to have a truly balanced game where team synergies can thrive than there needs to be an adjustment to the damage/speed mechanic. Someone that can outpace everyone shouldn't be able to put out so much damage that running a really tanky team is a liability.

I don't know how HP scales later on in the game compared to damage but perhaps as the game progresses HP will outpace damage and we are just in the odd place now of having too much damage before HP really starts to come online. Time will tell.

What do you disagree with? I'm open to the idea that my ideas are flawed, and I'd appreciate any feedback that helps refine the ideas.
  • Cyn
    76 posts Member
    Options
    [/quote]What do you disagree with? I'm open to the idea that my ideas are flawed, and I'd appreciate any feedback that helps refine the ideas.[/quote]

It's not that I disagree with anything you said, I perhaps I could have been clearer. I only meant to draw attention to the biggest disparity that I see which is the damage output compared to damage mitigation. Right now all you need to do to win is run a fast, high damage team composition even against a high HP team such as Barriss Offee, Savage Oppress, Fives, Old Ben, and Kylo Ren or Kit Fisto. That team would take a little bit longer to kill but the damage output they provide and the frequency isn't enough to beat a QGJ, Rey, Geonosian Soldier, Anakin, Dooku/Sidious team.

I think expanding the labels of characters so they can fall under a broader spectrum of leader abilities would be helpful but I think the damage output/mitigation and speed is a more important factor in broadening the tent of viable characters. If I am going to bring in a team of high damage, high speed, and low health characters against a 3 high health characters and a couple of mediocre health characters, the low health team should not be truly viable. Example, 5 assassins should be able to do well only in certain situations, if I run 2 tanks that taunt, the assassins shouldn't be able to burn through one tank with only 2 abilities. The assassins should be punished for running such a high risk/high reward team composition when it doesn't go their way. Currently, running a high risk team that only puts out damage is how you win. Running a "low risk" team with high health and strong healing is not sufficient enough to ever beat a high risk team.

That is what I wanted to draw attention to because I think it's the biggest limiting factor in keeping the tent of viable characters so small. If that gets adjusted so that speed and damage isn't the only factor worth considering we would see an increase in the number of characters that become viable, at least in my opinion.

• Options
    This is definitely a good idea, you could have multiple different ones for a team as well, for instance;

All Jedi would get a Jedi one,
    Master and Padawan (example: qui gon + obi wan) could also add a boost or bonus to attack / def,
    Jedi council - 4 council members together gives another boost.

Same could be done for darkside with
    master and apprentice,
    Sith,
    empire
    Bounty hunters guild

And the other factions;
    Born to be a rebel
    And keeping it in the family - Vader, leia, Luke, kylo ren

There are so many you can do this with, it would also make people's teams more diverse rather than everyone just having the standard teams they do atm

+1 to this idea. Could create some new tactics, strategies and synergies. I come from Marvel: Avengers Alliance, there is something like this in that game, and it's a really cool and fun thing to do / have. :)
    548-145-651 | Playing since Dec 28th (:
  • Options
    @Cyn

I think you're right. The simple example is Stormtrooper Han's leadership ability-

Plan B - All allies gain 35 Defense while above 50% Health and 30% Offense while below 50% health.

If we apply the 6th level of Plan B to the character with the lowest Basic Attack Damage (lvl 70, 7*, max gear) then Barriss Offee would either:
    • remove 35 points of damage when struck
    • OR
    • add 460.5 points of damage when attacking (1535 points base damage for basic attack)

Conversely, if we apply the 6th level of Plan B to the character with the highest Basic Attack Damage (lvl 70, 7*, max gear) then Resistance Pilot would either:
    • remove 35 points of damage when struck
    • OR
    • add 1421.1 points of damage when attacking (4737 points base damage for basic attack)

Whether looking at the bottom end of the spectrum with a disparity of over 13:1 in favor of offense, or the top of the spectrum with a ratio of over 40.5:1 in favor of offense you're right.

It likely is a larger factor in providing balance that would empower more diversity.
  • Options
    I do also think the since some factions (jawa tusken etc) are not full yet, cross synergies could be awesome
  • Options
    What are the residents of Tatooine called? Jawas and Tusken Raiders would apply.