Suggestions for a defensive team for arena?

Prev13
Qeltar
4326 posts Member
Advance disclaimer: I know that "arena defense" is somewhat of an oxymoron in this game. I'm just trying to do as well as I can.
So I provide a lot of advice here but now I am looking for yours.
I was really excited when I got Jinn and Yoda, finally I could play Jedi in arena! So I made a team with them and it wins 95% of the time -- when I am controlling it. But the AI is spectacularly dumb with Yoda, mine is only 5* and very squishy, and so I am now getting targeted and pushed down the leaderboard. I need something with a bit more staying power.
Noteworthy current assets:
- Lumi 7* maxed
- Sid 7* maxed
- Kylo 7* maxed
- Phasma 7* maxed
- GS 6*, 7* soon, near max
- Jinn 6* near max
- Old Daka 6* maxed
- Barriss 6* near max
- Dooku 6* maxed, will be 7* soon
- Ventress 6*
- Yoda 5*
- Fives 4* maxed gear, close to 5*
- Poe 5*

Noteworthy future assets:
- IG-86 3* but with a pile of shards waiting that could take him to 6*
- IG-88 unactivated but with 5* worth of shards
- Poggle 5* but unleveled, and will have enough for 6* soon
- Rey 4* but unactivated
- Anakin 4*, will be 6* by next month
- 24,000 arena tokens
- 25,000 GW tokens

I do not have a lot of credits, currently working my pile back up after leveling up many characters for the Yoda thing. Sitting on 4M. That's why I have so many characters sitting unleveled. (I refuse to buy credits.)

Any suggestions for a team that will help me be targeted less in arena, especially if it makes use of what I already have, would be appreciated. One thought was an annoyance squad (Phasma lead, Daka, Dooku, Kylo/GS, Lumi). But this is close to what I used to play and it seems it is pretty easily beaten. Another was to go full droid, but I need a lot of credits for that. Plus my Poe is 5* which lowers my power rating and increases the chances of being targeted.
Thanks for any help.
Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.

Replies

• Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    Options
    I think there are two ways to defend in this game. One is with units that can't screw it. Rey has 3 ways to do damage, and most of them kill a char, so there is no way the AI wsstes a turn with her. Most hesvy damage dealers are like this (Rey, Geo, FOTP...).
    The other option is with RNG heavy chars. People fear them a bit, and even if crazy luck is uncommon, you dont expect to win the majority of games as defender snyways. Chars like Phasma, Dooku, Daka can go RNG crszy and get something like two fouble stuns early and win a .match despiste AI awful tsrgetting.

Best way to defender us being top rank, tho. I got #1 early this morbing. I'm still #1. Not because my squad defensa well, but because as #1 I can only be attacked by tanks 2-4. None of them have been online yet (different time zones too) so I'm invulnerable
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    I don't have any way to get up to such rarified ranks unless I start recharging for more attempts. And I don't have enough maxed characters probably to pull it off.
    I have another alternative: simply forget about arena for now and just hover around the bottom of the top 50. But then I start to wonder why I am even playing at all. GW is easy, and there's nothing else to do. If I'm not building towards doing well in PvP, then what I have now is already enough.
    I hate the sniping nonsense at 6 pm, and I was happy to just be in the top 20. But I'd rather not keep slipping by 10 ranks every week.
    Yoda is proving to be a major disappointment.
  • Options
    Yoda is a target for everyone on when used by the AI but could also be beastly when you use him id imagine? So for now anyway why not just use yoda in your First few fights then put someone else in in the last fight so all those hours on defense he's not there
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    Yes, that's the purpose of this thread. I'm looking for advice from people who have had good luck with holding position in arena, so I can do something other than just "put in my top 5 guys and hope for the best".
  • DV_27
    967 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Yeah I would agree with the first response then. RNG players seem to always get more lucky when it's against you. Maybe something like phasma daka dooku and then maybe like two dps, who have a better chance of being revived by the AI than when you're using daka anyway. There's never going to be a proper defense set up I guess but something where the RNG would for once be in your favour could work.
  • Phipps
    1107 posts Member
    Options
    Best defense team on my shard is.

QGJ leader
    GS
    Ben
    Poe
    Rey/yoda

There are 2 teams like that, almost unbeatable currently for ftp. They don't leave the top 5 ever. I place top 5 everyday with Sid, poggle, Poe, GS, lumi max everything. I drop to 10-20 usually though after my 5-6 pm run.
  • xJazzx
    808 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Didn't know that you are a Phasma user.

I can't think of a team for you but you can build around Sidious and Dooku. In this meta, you defend by dropping your opponents fast.
  • LaLiam
    1589 posts Member
    Options
    Bariss(L)
    Daka
    Gs
    Lumi
    Fives.

It can be beaten yes, but as a self confessed sniper the extra minute of hitting a team like this can make a huge difference to #1.

Or you could choose to scare people off with Daka's Poe's ect.
    {RotE}
  • Options
    I would suggest trying
    Phasma (L)
    Sid
    Dooku
    GS
    Qgj

Once anakin and yoda are 6*, you might try
    QGJ (L)
    Ani
    Yoda
    Dooku
    Sid

Once Rey is ready sub her in for Sid or dooku

Hope that helps
  • Options
    One guy on my server runs Phasma (lead), Kylo, Daka, Dooku and Fives. All 7* and max. I avoid this guy like the plague. With my current team I win 95% on offense but it's more like 50% or less vs this team.
  • Options
    @Qeltar why are you hoarding gw tokens? If you don't buy crystals for refreshes you're going to have a hard time spending them.
    Ally Code: 945-699-762
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. Good community here. :)
    Phipps wrote: »
    QGJ leader
    GS
    Ben
    Poe
    Rey/yoda
    This team hinges on Old Ben (who is still very useful IMO despite what some say). I don't have him. Without him this doesn't work much better than what I am running now.
    xJazzx wrote: »
    Didn't know that you are a Phasma user.
    After Barriss was nerfed and Phasma came out, I decided to try to build a stun/counter team. It never was "meta" but did well enough for me, but was never really top 10 material. That's why Phasma, Kylo, Dooku, Daka and Ventress are all up there. But after a few weeks it was getting hammered by Poe teams. Then I unlocked a bunch of guys and tried my current team.
    LaLiam wrote: »
    Bariss(L)
    Daka
    Gs
    Lumi
    Fives.
    I have most of the tools for this, but I'm not yet convinced of using Barriss in an arena team. The DPS is so high I just don't think her health boost matters enough, and she does no damage.
    JoshG wrote: »
    One guy on my server runs Phasma (lead), Kylo, Daka, Dooku and Fives. All 7* and max. I avoid this guy like the plague. With my current team I win 95% on offense but it's more like 50% or less vs this team.
    Yeah I am thinking along these lines... teams that can be beat but people don't want to bother with. I guess I'll go back to working on Fives, though he should be viable at 5*. Dooku will be 7* probably within a week (unless the new guy in Cantina is someone I really like) and the rest are maxed or close.
    I suppose it makes sense to use RNG on defense, it at least gives you a chance of ruining someone's day. Might even try this with Lumi in the last slot until I get Fives to at least 5*.
    @Qeltar why are you hoarding gw tokens? If you don't buy crystals for refreshes you're going to have a hard time spending them.
    Well, I started before they changed the currency. The simple answer is that nothing in there interested me and I already have more characters unlocked than I have the credits to level up so pulling stuff out seemed pointless. I assumed they would add someone new each month to all the shipment types, obviously incorrectly.
    Then once the shard shop was announced I figured they might be useful for that, but it so far has turned out to be a disappointment.
    I also am expecting GW to become significantly harder in the future.
    That said, I stopped adding to the stockpile at around 25k. I am slowly farming Poggle from there right now. Though he too is level 3.
  • Options
    Here is a simple answer- get the devs to change Yoda's first move on AI defense to battle meditation. That change alone would make him 5x better on def in my opinion.

Lobby EA_Jesse!
  • reizse
    1447 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    in the current arena meta, speed and damage are everything, so the best defense is an offensive team that can't be messed up through poor ai. hit hard and fast with straight up deeps. with your current roster, there isn't much synergy if you want to go speedy dmg. the best I can think of, which I use 4/5 of your roster to take and hold rank 1 for a couple hours a day is qgj (5*), lumi (7*), Sid (7*), dooku (7*), Han (7*). you'll need someone to boost turn meter so maybe phasma for marching orders. on offense you should be ok, even to take rank 1. holding on defense depends partly on how active your shard is in general. if the top 10 churns rank often, I don't think you have a defensive team ready yet.
    mighty chlorians
  • reizse
    1447 posts Member
    Options
    the best defensive teams that I've seen on my shard are either droid or leia/Rey/qgj teams, although I still breeze through them so I'm not sure just how effective defense can be
    mighty chlorians
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. That team doesn't strick me as very much of a hard and fast hitter. I also don't see the point of Jinn leading with only Lumi behind him.
    I can get Rey activated but only at 4*. I'd be better off going for droids since I have GS and will have Poggle at 6* in a couple of days (though most of them need leveling).
    I think my launch-day shard is just too active for me to be competitive without spending a lot of crystals.
  • reizse
    1447 posts Member
    Options
    unless damage is reduced in arena, it's always going to be about speed and damage. I didn't buy into the gs/Rey/poggle or droid teams, but I'm doing ok and am able to take and hold rank 1 on my hard launch shard.
    my next project that's almost finished is ackbar, Han, Biggs, qgj, dooku. it's not that high in terms of damage, but it's faster with Han taunt and reliant on rng for dooku to stun any opposing qgj so he doesn't debuffs my Han. I tested that team last night and took rank 1 easily along with my current team. I don't think we can escape 100% from rng, but I try to minimize it as much as possible.
    mighty chlorians
  • reizse
    1447 posts Member
    Options
    the reason I use qgj even with just lumi is because dropping one of their hardest hitters off the bat is necessary. if I had any other lead, qgj wouldn't be able to move before Poe. it also allows lumi to squeeze in a heal before anyone on my team is knocked out.
    mighty chlorians
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    Thanks.
    I've been debating getting ST Han. But when I encounter him I just blow him away before he can act, and I'd be starting from scratch with Yet Another Character when I have a huge backlog of ones I can't level up yet, and I just got Poe to 5*.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Well I used my Jinn/Yoda team to claw back into the 30s from 71 and then for my 5th fight switched to Phasma / Dooku / Daka / GS / Lumi. I won that fight so now around #29. I deliberately did this 5 hours before our arena deadline on a Sunday so I can see how well it holds. Hoping the RNG factor with all of Phasma, Dooku and Daka will help. These are all also relatively simple characters that the AI is less likely to mess up.
    I cant use Fives yet. His power level is too low and would make me a target. But I might eventually sub him in somewhere. Its super hard to get rid of Lumi though, she is just so ridiculously good.
  • WWJDl
    67 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Greetings Qeltar,
    I've been playing since Nov. and for the past few months have reg held a top 10 position on my server.
    Not many can hold on to a position if sniped by time.
    I sometimes spend 50 gems to hold a 1-3 spot if I have time.

The top 10 team strat. changes around about once every 2 weeks, but I believe your knowledge in that area exceeds mine.

That said to answer your question:
    1) Your team set-up is not the main problem, the slot position you are trying to hold may be the real issue.

2) Position 1 and 2 and all those outside of the top 10 are prime targets for end time sniping; so simply pick a number people are less likely to snipe when presented with positions they think they can take in the last few minutes of the game.

3) Personally, I like to take position 3 or 6. Positions outside of the top 10 are not advised as there are many more people who like to move up ranks. Being in the top ten limits those who can challenge your team. I usually take the position 23 hours in advance, and have less challenges at payout time with these slots (3 and 6). Positions 1,2, and 4 and 5, 7-10 are simply easier payout targets for players moving up in the last seconds.

My current team, and this is due to my personal taste is (maxed out equip and abilities if possible) :
    Dooku 7* lead, Sid 7*,Kylo 7*, Poe 7*, Poggle 7* (this team also functioned with Poggle @ 5*)

My suggestion for you would be
    Sid 7*(Leader)
    Kylo 7*
    Dooku (move him to 7*)
    Poe (star him up as 6* should work) (max out his speed/equip is more important than stars)
    Poggle 5-6* is fine as long as Poe's speed is up to par (max out his speed/equip)

Basically, by AI
    Dooku hits and hopefully stuns or hinders someone,
    Sid dots then Poe or Poggle employs special or vice versa
    Kylo area and kills 1-2 units
    Self control:
    If you are playing then have Sid hold off on his area attack until after Poggle give his bonus:
    Always target an assist dps unit or jedi first with Dooku (in this order) :
    Ben(stun but do not kill)
    Ig88
    yoda
    Jinn

Dooku hits
    Sid should immune someone
    Poe or Poggle (both specials go off)
    Kylo area hit (or one hit special kill if Sid has missed his immune)
    Poe takes a hit or...3
    Sid does his area dot and the game should be yours.

Hope this help =)
    God bless n da Force be with ya~
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    WWJDl wrote: »
    1) Your team set-up is not the main problem, the slot position you are trying to hold may be the real issue.
    You mean being in the lower ranks. That is possible. I was perfectly satisfied with the top 20, but I am stuck with constantly being sniped now by players between 20 and 50 (and now even below that.)
    3) Personally, I like to take position 3 or 6. Positions outside of the top 10 are not advised as there are many more people who like to move up ranks. Being in the top ten limits those who can challenge your team. I usually take the position 23 hours in advance, and have less challenges at payout time with these slots (3 and 6). Positions 1,2, and 4 and 5, 7-10 are simply easier payout targets for players moving up in the last seconds.
    I'm not sure that is even possible for me to be honest. The teams up there are just too strong.
    My suggestion for you would be
    Sid 7*(Leader)
    Kylo 7*
    Dooku (move him to 7*)
    Poe (star him up as 6* should work) (max out his speed/equip is more important than stars)
    Poggle 5-6* is fine as long as Poe's speed is up to par (max out his speed/equip)
    Poe's speed is maxed. After 5* each star is only a bit more health. He's usable now.. he just knocks down my power.
    But I'm afraid he no longer intimidates as he once did.
    I'll give you idea a try though.
    BTW I've already been knocked from 29 down to 35 in less than 20 minutes. I don't think there's any combination I can come up with that really is going to keep people from sniping me at this point. I'm starting to lean towards "just forget about arena". :( At least until they make a system that is more interesting and based more on skill than this one is.
  • reizse
    1447 posts Member
    Options
    Qeltar wrote: »
    Thanks.
    I've been debating getting ST Han. But when I encounter him I just blow him away before he can act, and I'd be starting from scratch with Yet Another Character when I have a huge backlog of ones I can't level up yet, and I just got Poe to 5*.

i would stick with poe, but i think with the current team you have, some form of turn meter manipulation is needed to get your team to move faster and more often or to hinder the other team from acting.
    mighty chlorians
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Well Phasma is supposed to help with that. I just don't think anyone really finds characters like Poe and Phasma intimidating any more.
    I know personally that I avoid maxed droid teams like the plague. Maybe I should be heading in that direction, but again, that's a long road for me from where I am now.
    I think I just need to accept that I will not be competitive in arena for a long time, and possibly a very long time. :/
  • Options
    Dear Qeltar,
    I understand your frustration, as moving into the top 10 is a process.

However the team listed (Sid lead) with the attack pattern given above should have no problem moving you through the ranks in 2 evenings from top 30 to top 10. Attacking Jinn lead teams or teams without Poggle are the best suited. Robots/Poggles are your weakness.

In my experience Poe is not needed to intimidate. My attack power has obviously been one of the lowest in the top 10 ranks.

Attack power matters more outside of top 10 because so many ppl have access to climbing over you, so that is why my suggestion to you is to use some limited gems to climb. 50 over a 2 day period should be more than enough.

Once inside the top 10 people are looking for the easy snipe. Poe/Poggle backed by Sid/Kylo, will be one of their last choices for an easy snipe.

God bless~
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply.
    I think part of my problem also is that I never refresh my battles. I do my 5 and done. I think many people are now doing 10 fights and so of course they are leapfrogging me. I may just need to accept the 50 crystal cost and hope I make it up with better finishes.
    That said, I don't think I have enough 7* to make it to the top 10 any more. (My best ever finish was #3 a couple of times, behind whales that destroyed me in 90 seconds.)
  • reizse
    1447 posts Member
    Options
    ever since poe and speed were reworked, the concept of defense doesn't really exist anymore. as @WWJDl said, the best way to protect yourself is to eliminate how many people have access to attack you. that means moving up in the ranks. if you have no trouble taking out teams, then it's just a matter of sniping or refreshing arena attempts to climb higher. if you want an offensively capable team, i think we've described a few that can work. the only mildly intimidating defenses are ones that include qgj + old ben, but old ben is out of reach for f2p players.
    you can be competitive. unless your definition of competitive is top 5, in which case, time to climb
    mighty chlorians
  • Poxx
    2288 posts Member
    Options
    Key to getting past Old Ben...certain buffs are overridden by certain others. For instance, if a character has speed up and speed down, they are only affected by speed down. If they have offense up and offense down, they are only affected by offense up.

Run QGJ, Poggle, Ani etc. and Old Ben becomes a paperweight. Also, his potency is crap, so...tenacity up from Yoda, running Yoda or Aayla as lead. So many ways around Ben.
  • Options
    Qeltar wrote: »
    Well I used my Jinn/Yoda team to claw back into the 30s from 71 and then for my 5th fight switched to Phasma / Dooku / Daka / GS / Lumi. I won that fight so now around #29. I deliberately did this 5 hours before our arena deadline on a Sunday so I can see how well it holds. Hoping the RNG factor with all of Phasma, Dooku and Daka will help. These are all also relatively simple characters that the AI is less likely to mess up.
    I cant use Fives yet. His power level is too low and would make me a target. But I might eventually sub him in somewhere. Its super hard to get rid of Lumi though, she is just so ridiculously good.

The Proc rate of Daka and Phasma seems to be buffed on AI, don't care what's been said before about RNG, I run a Phasma Daka team and I consistently only get half the procs the AI does, day in, day out.
    Ally Code: 945-699-762
  • reizse
    1447 posts Member
    Options
    dooku is the only counter i need for ben. works every time
    mighty chlorians