Suggestions for a defensive team for arena?

13Next

Replies

• Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    Options
    Qeltar wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. That team doesn't strick me as very much of a hard and fast hitter. I also don't see the point of Jinn leading with only Lumi behind him.
    Jinn is worth it as leader even if he is the only Jedi. Being able to open with a 1HKO is worth it
  • Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply.
    I think part of my problem also is that I never refresh my battles. I do my 5 and done. I think many people are now doing 10 fights and so of course they are leapfrogging me. I may just need to accept the 50 crystal cost and hope I make it up with better finishes.
    That said, I don't think I have enough 7* to make it to the top 10 any more. (My best ever finish was #3 a couple of times, behind whales that destroyed me in 90 seconds.)

50 crystals is a no brainer when you move up 1 rank or more. I spend 50 crystals almost every day, and it is the difference between finishing 6-10 or 1-3. It is a ni brainer: 400 to 500 crystals -50 for refresh, or 200 to 250 crystals. That's not an expende. It is an investment
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    Triqui wrote: »
    50 crystals is a no brainer when you move up 1 rank or more. I spend 50 crystals almost every day, and it is the difference between finishing 6-10 or 1-3. It is a ni brainer: 400 to 500 crystals -50 for refresh, or 200 to 250 crystals. That's not an expende. It is an investment
    Yes, in that situation it is. But not when you are stuck in the 20 to 50 bracket and you end up just retaking the same ~35 spot over and over with your 5 extra fights. I can't get into the top 10 on this shard. But I may try one refresh for 10 fights today and see how far I can get.
    I was still at 44 this morning (not too shocking as this is mostly an American server) but just got knocked down to 51. Will probably sit there for a while as it is not a coveted spot by any means.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Options
    I hope whatever PvP revamp they are working on is better than.. this.

Don't you think they should allow the working adults and paying customers a one time chance to choose their arena payout times?
  • Options
    I think on defense you should definitely put in Geo, Dooku, Poe, Poggle when you get him leveled

After that you can use either QGJ, Sid or Phasma in the leader spot

I would go QGJ as leader with that team
  • Options
    On defense, I think Lumi (L) + Barriss + Daka might make the fight time-out frequently, regardless of the other two you pick to put in there (Sid and Ventress, maybe?). Phasma rules as a leader on offense, but Lumi's healgasms might help more on D. IDK for sure, just speculating.
  • Options
    I think meta is going to change with RG... I am just wondering a good defensive formation to place RG, maybe:

Barris (L), Royal Guard, GS, Fives and Savage

Or something around this... Leia using her stealth associated with all this HP and protection would be fine too:

Barris (L), Royal Guard, GS, Leia and Fives

Or Sidious instead Fives due to more damage, healing immunity + self-heal.

Sidious (L), RG, Barris, GS and Leia

Mestre Fábio - My YouTube Channel - My SwGOH profile - Brazilian player? Come to play with us, AAT heroic, contact me
  • reizse
    1447 posts Member
    Options
    rg will not be a threat if you have qgj. all it takes is a buff removal and you buff the entire team, enabling a 1 shot on the next assist attack. if the other team runs poe + rg, you'll need either sid (low hp), qgj (low hp, slower and stunnable by dooku) for leader skills, then what's left over? gs +1? i'll open with a dooku stun to gqj, follow up with an assist 1 shot on the lowest hp attacker, follow up with another 1 shot assist/or proc taunt on rg, qgj removes buff and the rest of the team falls after. not enough fire power.
    mighty chlorians
  • Options
    fberbert wrote: »
    I think meta is going to change with RG... I am just wondering a good defensive formation to place RG, maybe:

Or something around this... Leia using her stealth associated with all this HP and protection would be fine too:

I'll be honest, tank teams don't scare anyone. Why? Because everyone has high damage fast characters. I view any teams like the ones you describe as an easy win. Same for the counter teams. The hardest teams to beat are also the best on defense.

Points from the rest of the thread I wanted to respond to:

Running QGJ as lead when he is the only Jedi does work. I've held rank 1 with him as leader with 4 other non Jedi High dps. Those comps lasted a few days but then people adjusted and added Lumi and Poe back to their squads the next day.

@Qeltar It's very fluid at the top right now. There is no one great team that you can build and just sit there for weeks on end. Best advice anyone can really give you is to adjust your roster to counter whatever most people think is the current "best" setup or meta as people like to call it here.

@To the guy who was talking about Akbar Han Biggs Dooku and QGJ. I've been trying to make that team work too but with Leia instead of Biggs. I think I may try Biggs after hearing you say that. I have found Leias first turn is wasted alot of the time on defense, and a total disaster if I can't land my stun on QGJ. ive been working on it for fun for a while. Also, for anyone considering a rebel team, HRS is just not quite up to arena snuff IMO, I quickly took him out in favor of Dooku for a more reliable stun. His damage is fine but the first turn stun is critical to winning against QGJ teams. Others may disagree, but I'm very disappointed in HRS's performance when maxed. It's funny, he looked like the easy choice over Biggs, but he may be better later on at 80 or 90.

@Qeltar
    I can tell you one very strong comp right now that is getting more popular every day on my shard. It looks so basic, but it's tough to beat because it's well balanced. I think the key is that those are all very very solid individual characters when maxed and the AI seems to play it MUCH BETTER when compared to other comps I see.

QGJ L
    Lumi
    Sid
    GS (gear 9)
    And Poe

• reizse
    1447 posts Member
    Options
    RollTideTA wrote: »
    fberbert wrote: »

I'll be honest, tank teams don't scare anyone. Why? Because everyone has high damage fast characters. I view any teams like the ones you describe as an easy win. Same for the counter teams. The hardest teams to beat are also the best on defense.

Points from the rest of the thread I wanted to respond to:

Running QGJ as lead when he is the only Jedi does work. I've held rank 1 with him as leader with 4 other non Jedi High dps. Those comps lasted a few days but then people adjusted and added Lumi and Poe back to their squads the next day.

@Qeltar It's very fluid at the top right now. There is no one great team that you can build and just sit there for weeks on end. Best advice anyone can really give you is to adjust your roster to counter whatever most people think is the current "best" setup or meta as people like to call it here.

@To the guy who was talking about Akbar Han Biggs Dooku and QGJ. I've been trying to make that team work too but with Leia instead of Biggs. I think I may try Biggs after hearing you say that. I have found Leias first turn is wasted alot of the time on defense, and a total disaster if I can't land my stun on QGJ. ive been working on it for fun for a while. Also, for anyone considering a rebel team, HRS is just not quite up to arena snuff IMO, I quickly took him out in favor of Dooku for a more reliable stun. His damage is fine but the first turn stun is critical to winning against QGJ teams. Others may disagree, but I'm very disappointed in HRS's performance when maxed. It's funny, he looked like the easy choice over Biggs, but he may be better later on at 80 or 90.

@Qeltar
    I can tell you one very strong comp right now that is getting more popular every day on my shard. It looks so basic, but it's tough to beat because it's well balanced. I think the key is that those are all very very solid individual characters when maxed and the AI seems to play it MUCH BETTER when compared to other comps I see.

QGJ L
    Lumi
    Sid
    GS (gear 9)
    And Poe

yep, I'm on track to finish my rebel team with dooku and qgj soon. once qgj and ackbar are 6* I'll start rotating Biggs in and go with a fast open stun and follow up with a taunt to get my entire team to move first, with 2 assist shots off the bat and a 100% tm boost to 1 hero. at least that's how I'll play it on offense. I hope it'll do the same on defense
    mighty chlorians
  • Telaan
    3454 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    After this update I'd want to try:

- Barris lead
    - RG
    - Daka
    - Ewok elder
    - Lumi

It'd be interesting to see if this team could stall the timer. RG and Daka have stuns. Massive to respectable health pools, stuns, ridiculous heals, multiple rezes. The only big drawback is the lack of overall speed and the fact that you have zero deeps lol.
  • Options
    Telaan wrote: »
    After this update I'd want to try:

- Barris lead
    - RG
    - Daka
    - Ewok elder
    - Lumi

It'd be interesting to see if this team could stall the timer. RG and Daka have stuns. Massive to respectable health pools, stuns, ridiculous heals, multiple rezes. The only big drawback is the lack of overall speed and the fact that you have zero deeps lol.

The opponents gets bored and gives up
  • reizse
    1447 posts Member
    Options
    if your aim is to stall out the last minute before payout, it will work. but it won't work to stall out more than 3 minutes imo. damage out scales hp and healing.
    mighty chlorians
  • Options
    reizse wrote: »
    if your aim is to stall out the last minute before payout, it will work. but it won't work to stall out more than 3 minutes imo. damage out scales hp and healing.

Problem is the lack of dps means everyone will attack u any chance they can get.
  • Phipps
    1107 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @Slayvoff
    As long as your Ben has enough hp to get his debuff off in time he is worth trying.

I was thinking about that as a strategy actually on defense. Put in a weak Ben so he ...hopefully... Dies early in the fight and grants all those buffs to his team. Basically max out that ability for him with keeping all his other stats as low as possible. That way an aoe or 2 may kill him granting all those buffs,or he lives long enough to debuff entire other team. Whenever f2p gets him that's my plan for him to see if it works.

Regarding HRS I just got him to 5 star max gear and put him on my team instead of Poe.
    Sid leader
    Lumi
    Poggle
    GS
    All maxed

First try I was able to beat these QGJ speed teams on my shard in the top 5 that have eluded me since the update. I think Poe is a wasted spot anymore when another high speed high damage toon on your squad means another round 1 death for your opponent. Just have HRS at 1 speed higher makes a huge difference. Plus with Sid lead he will crit constantly giving him back to back turns with chance of stun. I like 100% turn meter gain he has better than the assist of GS and QGJ. A lot of times there first hit kills the toon and the assist is a waste. With HRS if he crit kills someone with his special his 100% turn meter lets you choose your next target to attack.

Very pumped about my rebel team. Ppl say they arnt meta but if ackbar can get fixed I think there are a few 3-4 rebel toon squads that can be put together to make a top 5 team (maybe a poggle for his buff or GS added to the squad for that extra damage factor that team will ultimately need.)

I think all that matters in arena now is having more speed characters than your opponent and being active for the 2 hours before your payout(1 refresh, maybe 2 if you are holding a top 3 spot) There really isn't any 1 op team anymore so it's really just about being active.

Being top 5 everyday gets annoying, not the actual playing of the game, but how everyone gets 'locked out' like the last 15 minutes before payout because we are all spamming the refresh to get into a battle to sit there for 5 minutes to hold a spot. There is no skill or enjoyment in that. Hopefully they rework arena again in the future as after 2 months of play its already getting bland.
  • Options
    Phipps wrote: »
    @Slayvoff
    As long as your Ben has enough hp to get his debuff off in time he is worth trying.

I was thinking about that as a strategy actually on defense. Put in a weak Ben so he ...hopefully... Dies early in the fight and grants all those buffs to his team. Basically max out that ability for him with keeping all his other stats as low as possible. That way an aoe or 2 may kill him granting all those buffs,or he lives long enough to debuff entire other team. Whenever f2p gets him that's my plan for him to see if it works.

Regarding HRS I just got him to 5 star max gear and put him on my team instead of Poe.
    Sid leader
    Lumi
    Poggle
    GS
    All maxed

First try I was able to beat these QGJ speed teams on my shard in the top 5 that have eluded me since the update. I think Poe is a wasted spot anymore when another high speed high damage toon on your squad means another round 1 death for your opponent. Just have HRS at 1 speed higher makes a huge difference. Plus with Sid lead he will crit constantly giving him back to back turns with chance of stun. I like 100% turn meter gain he has better than the assist of GS and QGJ. A lot of times there first hit kills the toon and the assist is a waste. With HRS if he crit kills someone with his special his 100% turn meter lets you choose your next target to attack.

Very pumped about my rebel team. Ppl say they arnt meta but if ackbar can get fixed I think there are a few 3-4 rebel toon squads that can be put together to make a top 5 team (maybe a poggle for his buff or GS added to the squad for that extra damage factor that team will ultimately need.)

I think all that matters in arena now is having more speed characters than your opponent and being active for the 2 hours before your payout(1 refresh, maybe 2 if you are holding a top 3 spot) There really isn't any 1 op team anymore so it's really just about being active.

Being top 5 everyday gets annoying, not the actual playing of the game, but how everyone gets 'locked out' like the last 15 minutes before payout because we are all spamming the refresh to get into a battle to sit there for 5 minutes to hold a spot. There is no skill or enjoyment in that. Hopefully they rework arena again in the future as after 2 months of play its already getting bland.

My poe is only lvl 3 attack atm

The damage is low so I figure no point.

HRS having turn manipulation on auto attack is very nice.

I followed cookie cutter sid lumi poe gs QGJ

Going to start on HRS after I finish QGJ

I need the daily crystals for refresh from arena.

Not 70 yet though.
  • Options
    Phasma Dooku Daka Fives GS

That's the best I could think of with your available heroes. But like you said that is close to your squad already, and you fall back a fair bit.
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • Poxx
    2288 posts Member
    Options
    sid wrote: »
    Bariss with Fives sounds interesting. With their combined health pool, the health equalization might keep high DPS alive a bit longer. Then perhaps, add GS, QGJ, and Dooku?

Careful, the health equalization is health percentages, not actual health points. Equalizing with high health toons is immaterial
  • Scinful
    161 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    For your roster, I would go for... RNG multi attack/multi stun madness!!!!!! Phasma (L) Dooku, Daka, GS, with Kylo.
    Post edited by Scinful on
  • Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    Options
    Poxx wrote: »
    sid wrote: »
    Bariss with Fives sounds interesting. With their combined health pool, the health equalization might keep high DPS alive a bit longer. Then perhaps, add GS, QGJ, and Dooku?

Careful, the health equalization is health percentages, not actual health points. Equalizing with high health toons is immaterial

I think this is not true. It adds total health, then distribute proportional to each char health pool. But the original health matter. If you have 4 chars at 1%, plus Fives at 100%, you get more health than with 4 chars at 1% plus Maul at 100%