New Player, Have Some Questions About Best F2P Characters and Need Allies

Prev1
Howdy all,

I just started playing this game about a week ago. I didn't take it very seriously at first and was just messing around, so I wasted a lot of time and resources on useless characters. So yesterday I finally started looking at some guides and videos for tips on the best characters to level.

Some of those recommendations may be out of date though, so I could use your advice on whether to follow those guides or not (as well as get a second opinion). Note that I'm completely F2P. I'm looking for characters that will never become useless and are not a waste of resource/time investment, as some guide lists have proclaimed their recommendations to be. Also, while I've already went around to every thread I could find looking for ally codes, I could still use some more, partly to get the 25 allies achievement, and partly because I could use more quality heroes to borrow. If you have strong characters I can borrow (and are not already on my allies list) please post your code here or just add me in game, my code is: 342-639-299. Note that every 5 weeks or so, I go inactive for 5-10 days. Next trip is next Thursday and leaving my phone behind.

Currently I'm Level 41 and have mostly my F2P characters. So first, after reviewing the video guides, the characters I currently have that I've tentatively decided are worth leveling up are:
Kylo Ren
Ahsoka Tano
Royal Guard

Kylo seems like a very solid character and I'm investing heavily in him.

Ahsoka was recommended by some but not others but she's IMO the best character I have that I actually farmed for so far so I will invest some in her unless someone tells me otherwise.

Royal Guard was recommended and I like him but unless I hear confirmation I'm not sure on investing in him, at least as a priority.

Tie Fighter pilot was recommended by one guide but he seems weak to me at 2 stars and max level with a few gear upgrades, so I'm halting progression on him until I hear otherwise.

Jedi Consular was also recommended by one guide only on the caveat that his starfighter is good and he's easy to farm - but some people say he sucks. I've halted progression on him but he's going to be my best/only healer for a while - should I continue to invest in him or no?

Clone Wars Chewbacca was widely criticized so I've halted all investment in him (except training levels). He seems like a good character (one of my strongest atm) and his leader ability seems great (my best ATM) so what's wrong with him (as an endgame character, presumably)?

Farm boy Luke seems OK, but he wasn't recommended by anybody so I stopped investing in him.

First Order Executioner seems good but he might be stuck at 2 stars for me, being a F2P player. Is he good enough at 2 stars for a F2P player to invest training levels and gear on him?

Talia is my only Dark Side healer and will be a for a long time. She seems OK, but wasn't recommended by anyone so I stopped investment. Should I continue to invest in her or not?

My first priority in farming right now is Phoenix squad. But it'll be several days to a week (I think) before I get any of them, and weeks before they can get 2-3 stars.

Other priority characters I'm working on are Biggs Darklighter (maybe a day or two from getting him at 1 star), IG-86, and Luminara Unduli.

Biggs I'm confident is awesome and I'll be investing heavily in him when I get him. IG-86 I'm not so sure about, should I still get and invest in him. Luminara was only recommended in 2017, but she's within reach, unlike Barriss who I won't get for a very long time.

I can also get Ewok Elder and Fives pretty easily, but am not farming them atm. Fives was recommended by one guide but not by many others. Ewok Elder wasn't recommended by anyone. But it's Jedi Consular for me until I get Luminara who isn't a real healer and Barriss who I won't get for probably a month or more - unless I get Ewok Elder. Should I get Ewok Elder, or stick with Consular who will not be getting anymore upgrades (unless you advise I upgrade him), or replace him with Luminara (who is an attacker)?

I'm also going to work on Capatain Phasma, Old Daka, Barriss, Lando, and Boba Fett. But they are all 80 shard characters (except for Phasma) who will take a very long time for me to get, probably months.

Replies

• Options
    Before you know it you'll be working on 50 characters. Just purely focus Phoenix.
  • Options
    The people who give you advice have no clue pf what they are talking about
  • Kozispoon
    3245 posts EA Staff (retired)
    Options
    Hiya and welcome!
    Nudged you to the proper category and linking you to the handy dandy new New Player Index to get started.
    Thank you for your patience 8D Forum Guidelines
  • Options
    Farmboy luke is essential for CLS. Don't waste resources for ahsoka tano or consular.

Start working on Phoenix, then get a good 5 man Empire team, then leia and han from arena store and old ben
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Quick guide in more or less a rough order.

Focus Phoenix. It can be your arena team til level 70s. It can get you thrawn and Palpatine.

Once you get first 7 star character make sure you are in a guild doing at least heroic rancour raid.

Scoundrels for credit heist (lando boba sth are key, any two others work Dengar isn't great but you can get him in a shop where there is no phoenix and he unlocks at 2 star)

Replacement arena team, some combination of wedge and Biggs and some other rebels. Perhaps rebels for cls event like sth Leia.

Around here you want to pay attention to your fleet arena team and do your best to star them up and get ships as you can. You will probably run tfp fotp biggs ghost and whatever else is available. Eventually you want boba Vader and maul as a backup.

Empire team for r2d2 event Palpatine and thrawn tfp tarkin and a tank either storm trooper or royal guard.

Rest of cls rebels fbl old Ben Leia sth.

First order team for bb8 (not sure who will be out by the time you get to this stage)

Finn scavenger Rey veteran Han and veteran chewie
  • Imperial_CdrShepard7
    55 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    PM me if you want to join a beginners' friendly guild. I came back to the game after a 2-year hiatus and it has changed so much that I feel like a noob too. I would farm Phoenix, because you need them as Rebels to unlock some pretty awesome characters like Emperor Palpatine and Thrawn. Besides, as a team, they work extraordinarily well together. When I started, November 2015, they didn't exist yet. My squads were usually a mismatch of different toons and it hindered progression. Phoenix will get you rolling as soon as you unlock 5 of them.

My guild, the lSunBrosl could really help you, you can get useful gear, credits and other goodies if you join a guild and play the game daily. Good luck!

Edit: Don't spend your crystals in shop packs. The videos you watched probably stated this fact. Crystals are better used for energy refills to farm character shards and gear. or to climb in the arena. Don't use them to refresh timers of any kind.
    ImperialCommanderShepard in SWGoH (Ally Code 297-277-437)

lOGRLCl CommanderShepard in HoDA

Find our Guild here: https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/126148/praise-the-sun-for-some-jolly-co-op#latest

• Options
    While I do want to have a long term plan, what I want to know the most right now is what to do for the next week or so. I won't be getting my first Phoenix character for at least 2 more days (Kanan). The next day I'll get another (Zeb), and the third (Ezra) will be coming maybe 2-3 days after depending on luck (so, 4-5 days from now?), Hera I have 0/25 of because I decided to get Ezra before Hera and they use the same resource (cantina energy).

So for the next week or so, I will only have 2x Phoenix characters (and only after 2-3 days) and they will only be 1 star. I'm not sure Phoenix is strong until you get all five, or have Hera as leader at the least (correct me if I'm wrong). What I want to know is what I'll be using for the next week for the toughest content that I'm doing. Will 1 star Zeb and Kanan be enough for that?

I'm currently getting weaker every day in Galactic War and Arena as my level goes up and my enemies all go up in level and power and everyone is telling me not to put anything in any of the characters I have because "focus Phoenix". Yesterday I cleared the entire map in Galactic War. Today I leveled up and everything jumped up by like 5-10 levels on certain missions (don't remember exactly how much) and I could only clear up to mission 10 (wiped on mission 11).

So what I want to know is, of the characters I already have (or can get sooner than I get Phoenix), which ones are going to be at least somewhat useful in the end so investment in them isn't a waste? Cadwane recommends Farmboy Luke. Is he the only one? Because until I get Phoenix, I need something to use, and what I have is rapidly becoming untenable for arena/galactic war/challenges etc. unless I upgrade them. Are Kylo Ren and Royal Guard really not worth upgrading? Also, I just got a free 4 star Tarkin, is he worth investing in? I have no Darkside leader, so should I use him or Phasma (have to get from scratch) or someone else?
    Before you know it you'll be working on 50 characters. Just purely focus Phoenix.

Except for Sabine (5 attempts per day with regular energy), Phoenix can only be acquired with cantina energy , squad arena tokens, and galactic war tokens, so I should just let my regular energy sit there and rot? Also, you can only spend 200 galactic war tokens on Zeb per day, what do I do with the rest? What I'm saying is that even while doing everything possible F2P to get Phoenix is not mutually exclusive with getting other stuff as well.
    cadwane wrote: »
    The people who give you advice have no clue pf what they are talking about

Most of my advice came from Warrior Presents (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDoadb8jNm8&t=26s), AhnaldT101 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH_RzSMTgP4), and MobileGamer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9Tko3O5dQA). Do those guys not know what they're talking about?
    Hiya and welcome!
    Nudged you to the proper category and linking you to the handy dandy new New Player Index to get started.

Thank you, I made this post with that intention in mind. I was advised that the only way to get a discussion in here was to post somewhere else and to have a moderator move it here. Note that it is impossible to create a new discussion in this (New Player, formerly the Academy) forum, at least for me (same problem as the old Academy forum). In fact, I've been in communication with TyloRen about it and he moved the Academy to this forum, or renamed it to this forum, because of what I said.
    cadwane wrote: »
    Farmboy luke is essential for CLS. Don't waste resources for ahsoka tano or consular.

Start working on Phoenix, then get a good 5 man Empire team, then leia and han from arena store and old ben

What is CLS btw? Guessing Classic Light Side? What does that represent ingame, some sort of special event/challenge? So I guess I'll go back to investing in Farmboy Luke, but what about Kylo Ren, Royal Guard, and Tarkin? And what am I going to use as a healer and tank for the next week (or longer)? Also, Leia and Stormtrooper Han seemed kind of weak having tried them as borrowed characters, you sure they're good and why (or are they good only because they are required for this CLS thing)?
    PM me if you want to join a beginners' friendly guild. I came back to the game after a 2-year hiatus and it has changed so much that I feel like a noob too. I would farm Phoenix, because you need them as Rebels to unlock some pretty awesome characters like Emperor Palpatine and Thrawn. Besides, as a team, they work extraordinarily well together. When I started, November 2015, they didn't exist yet. My squads were usually a mismatch of different toons and it hindered progression. Phoenix will get you rolling as soon as you unlock 5 of them.

My guild, the lSunBrosl could really help you, you can get useful gear, credits and other goodies if you join a guild and play the game daily. Good luck!

Edit: Don't spend your crystals in shop packs. The videos you watched probably stated this fact. Crystals are better used for energy refills to farm character shards and gear. or to climb in the arena. Don't use them to refresh timers of any kind.

Thanks for the offer, I'll consider it. Where can I find out more about your guild? I happened to join what seems like a decent guild, but I've only been in it for about a day so we'll see. If I get booted during my aforementioned 10 day trip w/o my phone, I know where I'll be going.

And yeah, I haven't spent my crystals in RNG packs. But I have wasted a lot of them on useless stuff in the shipments tab back when I wasn't taking this game very seriously and just messing around. Now I'm using them for energy refreshes as recommended by almost everyone. I currently have very few left however.

I am wondering if I should be using the little energy I have on the 50 crystal regular energy refreshes or the 100 crystal cantina energy refreshes (I'll probably only be able to do 1 cantina energy refresh per day vs. 2-3 regular).

Finally, where can I find out more about how raids work? When I do searches about raids, all I see are compositions and strategies. I want to know the basics like raid tickets and how you open/enter a raid, time limits for raids, how they work, etc. Like my current guild has a rule about limiting dmg in the first 24 hours so everyone can get a chance to hit it. Huh? Does the rancor have limited HP or something? I want to know basic information like that.
  • Sunnie1978
    2937 posts Moderator
    Options
    Welcome to the forums @Letareus ! There are a lot of resources for new players in the New Player section of the forums:

The Academy: https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/categories/the-academy

Your resource for asking questions,ally code requests and Borrow a Hero threads where people are willing to let you borrow their maxed out characters such as Thrawn, Commander Luke Skywalker or General Obi Wan Kenobi as your ally toon for Light side, Dark side or Cantina battles.

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/142845/new-player-index#latest – The resource sheet for new players

Guides Index: https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/152788/guides-index/p1
    Full of links to useful information for new players, like what unlocks at each player level, guild etiquette, ship guide and more!

For Raid Tickets:
    Every time your guild raids, a leader or officer has to spend a certain amount of raid tickets to start the raid. These tickets are earned by all members of a guild at the rate of 1 ticket per energy spent. Each member can generate up to 600 tickets a day; if someone is talking about "getting your 600 done" this is what they mean. You naturally get 375 regular energy and 165 cantina energy every day. This means that to reach 600 tickets every day, you will need to buy a single refresh of either regular or cantina energy. Do note that if you switch guilds, your raid ticket contribution will be reset, so your old guild will miss out and you'll start with 0 tickets for the day in your new guild.

Raid Opening/Entering
    Raids can be opened by any officer or the guild leader. Raids can also be abandoned by any guild officer or the guild leader. If a raid is abandoned, the tickets used to open it will not be refunded.

Raids
    Each phase of the raid has a set amount of health on the boss of that phase.The amount of health per phase depends on which type of raid- pit (rancor) or AAT (tank), and the level of raid that is opened. Heroic raids are limited to only 7* toons, while non-heroic vary depending on the level of raid opened.

Each player individually takes a team in to do damage, and then the damage is added together when they exit. For example, if 2 players enter at the same time when the raid is 100% and do 5% damage each before dying, the raid will be at 90% when they both die, although both had the full 100% available to attack. This allows for overdamage. For example, instead of doing 5% damage, each player did 75% of the damage in the phase. When they both die, the raid will move on to the next phase, as 100% of the damage of that phase was done, but both players get credit for 75%, which would be 150% of the phase, so there is 50% in overdamage.

Non-heroic raids do not have a time limit, but each guild member is limited to sending in 5 teams every 24 hours.

Heroic raids have a 48-hour time limit to complete. When you see people talking about a 24-hour no-damage period, taking a zero or sacrificing a toon, they are referring to heroic raids. While at the beginning, the raids seem very difficult, as your characters get stronger, heroic raids will become easy, with multiple players able to solo the entire rancor raid with one team (with overdamage, each gets the full amount of points for the solo, and then all scores that are the same are randomly ranked for rewards). As guild members who do not enter the raid and either achieve victory or are defeated do not receive raid rewards, the 24-hour period to send in a 7* toon to die without doing damage is to allow all guild members to get rewards.

If you have any questions or have suggestions for what type of information you would like to see included in the forums for beginner players, just let me know and I will try to get it for you.

Happy playing!
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    Options
    Letareus wrote: »

So what I want to know is, of the characters I already have (or can get sooner than I get Phoenix), which ones are going to be at least somewhat useful in the end so investment in them isn't a waste? Cadwane recommends Farmboy Luke. Is he the only one? Because until I get Phoenix, I need something to use, and what I have is rapidly becoming untenable for arena/galactic war/challenges etc. unless I upgrade them. Are Kylo Ren and Royal Guard really not worth upgrading? Also, I just got a free 4 star Tarkin, is he worth investing in? I have no Darkside leader, so should I use him or Phasma (have to get from scratch) or someone else?
    Look at a long term plan. You need fbl for cls royal guard is a tank for an empire team. You can throw some gear at them but minimise the investment.

Except for Sabine (5 attempts per day with regular energy), Phoenix can only be acquired with cantina energy , squad arena tokens, and galactic war tokens, so I should just let my regular energy sit there and rot? Also, you can only spend 200 galactic war tokens on Zeb per day, what do I do with the rest? What I'm saying is that even while doing everything possible F2P to get Phoenix is not mutually exclusive with getting other stuff as well.

Galactic war shop refreshes every 6 hours. Theoretically you can spend 1600 tokens on 20 shards a day. Regular energy should mainly be for gear. Make sure to hit the daily activities achievement every day for xp. Don't forget chopper in cantina shop.

Most of my advice came from Warrior Presents (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDoadb8jNm8&t=26s), AhnaldT101 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH_RzSMTgP4), and MobileGamer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9Tko3O5dQA). Do those guys not know what they're talking about?

Course they know what they are doing but they aren't aiming at beginners.

You focus on a single team you max it 22-30 days. You split your focus going all over the world you spend months.
    What is CLS btw? Guessing Classic Light Side? What does that represent ingame, some sort of special event/challenge? So I guess I'll go back to investing in Farmboy Luke, but what about Kylo Ren, Royal Guard, and Tarkin? And what am I going to use as a healer and tank for the next week (or longer)? Also, Leia and Stormtrooper Han seemed kind of weak having tried them as borrowed characters, you sure they're good and why (or are they good only because they are required for this CLS thing)?
    Don't fall into the trap of judging a character based on borrowing it. I bet you are mainly borrowing invested in other characters and a weak sth and Leia around your level.

Han is a tank so his hits are weak but his taunt is special because every time he is hit while he taunts hit team's turn meter takes a boost. Leia does great damage when attacking. Her basic has a multi attack chance and she has a chance of giving +crit to her team every turn.

Healers aren't too important.
  • Options
    My opinion here is not that of an expert, it's that of a FTP who started in November 2015, quit the game for 2 years. If I had to re-do everything again, based on your questions and roster/resources limitations, this is what I would do:

CLS is Commander Luke Skywalker. However, there is a line of thought regarding an investment on toons like Farmboy Luke (objectively, not a great toon) and the others needed for the special Commander Luke event can seriously hamper your progress in the first few months of the game. Besides, R2D2 is also needed for that event and it can only be obtained with Imperials.

5 Phoenix unlock Thrawn (special event) All at 5 stars minimum.

5 Phoenix can unlock Emperor Palpatine (special event) All at 5 stars minimum.

3 Imperials + Palpatine and Thrawn can unlock R2D2 (special event). All five Imperials must be at 5 stars minimum.Palpatine and Thrawn unlock at 5 stars.

Much later: Farmboy Luke, R2D2, Princess Leia, Old Ben and Stormtrooper Han can unlock Commander Luke, but they will all have to be a 7 stars.

Galactic war strategy: You need to have a strong top 10 of toons. There are videos offering advice, because if you put all your resources on your top 5 toons, and ignore the rest, you will encounter teams that are impossible to beat with just one squad. As a beginner, healers are actually important. This is especially true in Galactic War, I always send my teams with one or two healers (I have realistically 3 months of playing time, so I have to rely on healers still). Form a rebel team, with the Phoenix you have or will unlock (at 2 stars, by the way, 25 shards will get you a 2*star toon), and St Han is actually very good. However, if you have to farm St. Han from the Arena shipments, there is a conflict there between his shards and Kanan's shards, and you are trying to build Phoenix first. By the way, Kanan is also a tank and taunts.

People were right to tell you Ahsoka Tano and the Jedi Consular aren't great in later stages of the game, but I'd like to emphasize how important healers are in the early game (first few months playing as FTP), particularly for Galactic War when your roster of well developed characters is small. I use Tarkin and the TFP quite frequently, I would consider them part of your B team, while maintaining your focus on Phoenix and rebels. Tarkin's Intimidation Tactics is very, very useful in the beginning of the game, for starting players trying to complete Galactic War each day. If you have ever played HoDA, it functions as a power drainer. Test it before investing on Tarkin, see if it fits your playing style. Tarkin + 3 Phoenix + 1 Healer can be a nasty combo for a very, very early player. Kanan taunts, Ezra and Zeb hit hard, Tarkin reduces enemy power constantly, one healer keeps Kanan and the rest of the crew alive.Remember, you need a strong top 10, not just a strong top 5, for Galactic War.

Now, about Kylo Ren. I came back to the game in November, so he was given to me for free, and at several stars. He was, and still is, one of my strongest characters. I know he isn't considered "great" in late game, but when one looks at a beginner's situation and the necessity to have at least 2 teams to complete the GW daily, he is very useful. As I said, your rebels, including Phoenix, will be your A team. But you also need a B team to help with Galactic War. I will post a link to a video here later. Also, when your roster is small, healers like the jedi consular are important in this section of the game. Luminara Unduli and Barriss Offee are far better healers.

Your guildmates should be helping you out with strategy etc. My guild has helped me plenty.

Find our Guild here: https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/126148/praise-the-sun-for-some-jolly-co-op#latest

• Options
    At your level the best team to farm is rebels, because you can get them all easily and you need them for EP. The rebel team I used at your level was: Wedge lead, Biggs, Lando, Stormtrooper Han, and Leia. Until you get these guys leveled, and geared up for arena do not farm other characters because crystals are the most important currency in the game.
  • Options
    I would have to agree that going after Phoenix team is by far your most important priority as a new player. They are a strong squad and open the doors for many powerful toons. If it were me I focus on 3 things. Strong Phoenix squad/ Rebels, empire/Dark side squad, and a Scoundrel squad for credit heist events. You will need those credits. After your get those 3 going and geared well for your player level then start working on the other toons people have suggested. I played this game for well over a year now and if I had focused on those three things when I started it would have save me a bunch of hassle down the road. Good luck and Happy playing
  • Options
    Regarding Galactic War, this thread is worth a read:

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com

• Options
    Naraic wrote: »
    Galactic war shop refreshes every 6 hours. Theoretically you can spend 1600 tokens on 20 shards a day. Regular energy should mainly be for gear. Make sure to hit the daily activities achievement every day for xp. Don't forget chopper in cantina shop.

Thanks for the tip about the galactic war shop refreshing multiple times a day, didn't realize that. I'll be able to get Zeb faster now.

I'm not going to farm gear for characters I don't even have yet.
    Look at a long term plan...You focus on a single team you max it 22-30 days. You split your focus going all over the world you spend months.
    Already got it. I do have a long term plan and am already focusing on Phoenix, then an Empire team after. I'm already not farming any other character shards besides Phoenix, unless there's a resource that's not overlapping.

I'm not splitting my focus all over the place, but in the short run, since I don't have Phoenix to use right now, and won't for a while, for the week or so, until Phoenix can take over combat duties, I want to make the characters I'm using a bit more viable just to make my next week more comfortable. If that means Phoenix progression will be delayed by a week, so be it. I'd rather have my next week be a bit less miserable than suffer and get weaker every day (and be able to get less stuff every day) just to speed up Phoenix progression by one lousy week.

What I wanted to know from people is which of the characters I currently have will still be useful in some capacity later on so I can upgrade those instead of characters that will never be useful in any capacity ever again, so it's less of a waste. That has been answered to some degree, most of it from ImperialCommanderShepard (thanks) though I still would like more advice/information on this point.

As Phoenix is able to take over combat duties, I will be spending less and less on non-Phoenix characters and eventually nothing at all as Phoenix can take over completely. I want a gradual transition not a sudden switch. That's my decision, that's what I want, even if it slows maxing Phoenix by a week or two. It'll be more comfortable and make me happier.
    Don't fall into the trap of judging a character based on borrowing it. I bet you are mainly borrowing invested in other characters and a weak sth and Leia around your level.

Han is a tank so his hits are weak but his taunt is special because every time he is hit while he taunts hit team's turn meter takes a boost. Leia does great damage when attacking. Her basic has a multi attack chance and she has a chance of giving +crit to her team every turn.

Point noted, I'll be doing them for sure in the distant future after more urgent things like Phoenix are taken care of.
    My opinion here is not that of an expert, it's that of a FTP who started in November 2015, quit the game for 2 years. If I had to re-do everything again, based on your questions and roster/resources limitations, this is what I would do
    People were right to tell you Ahsoka Tano and the Jedi Consular aren't great in later stages of the game, but I'd like to emphasize how important healers are in the early game (first few months playing as FTP), particularly for Galactic War when your roster of well developed characters is small. I use Tarkin and the TFP quite frequently, I would consider them part of your B team, while maintaining your focus on Phoenix and rebels. Tarkin's Intimidation Tactics is very, very useful in the beginning of the game, for starting players trying to complete Galactic War each day. If you have ever played HoDA, it functions as a power drainer. Test it before investing on Tarkin, see if it fits your playing style. Tarkin + 3 Phoenix + 1 Healer can be a nasty combo for a very, very early player. Kanan taunts, Ezra and Zeb hit hard, Tarkin reduces enemy power constantly, one healer keeps Kanan and the rest of the crew alive.Remember, you need a strong top 10, not just a strong top 5, for Galactic War.

Now, about Kylo Ren. I came back to the game in November, so he was given to me for free, and at several stars. He was, and still is, one of my strongest characters. I know he isn't considered "great" in late game, but when one looks at a beginner's situation and the necessity to have at least 2 teams to complete the GW daily, he is very useful. As I said, your rebels, including Phoenix, will be your A team. But you also need a B team to help with Galactic War. I will post a link to a video here later. Also, when your roster is small, healers like the jedi consular are important in this section of the game. Luminara Unduli and Barriss Offee are far better healers.

Your guildmates should be helping you out with strategy etc. My guild has helped me plenty.

Lots of great info, thanks! Your info on characters actually helps me a lot more and tells me what I want to know more than all those people just repeating "focus Phoenix" when I am already focusing Phoenix (but want to do it my way).

I've never played a game like this before so I approached this thinking in MMORPG terms, need a tank, a healer, and the rest dps (or tank, 2 healers, 2 dps in some MMO's). If healers aren't useful later on, that's going to take some adjustment. They seem useful to me so far, like you said.

BTW, would you say Tarkin is a better leader than Phazma?

One more thing I'd like to know is at what point will my Phoenix characters be better than my existing characters so I can use them for combat. So thanks to your info I now know I'll be getting Phoenix at 2 stars, not 1. So, will my 2 star Kanan be better than my 4 star CW Chewbacca? Will 2 Star Zeb be better than my other dps?
    WarGuy101 wrote: »
    At your level the best team to farm is rebels, because you can get them all easily and you need them for EP. The rebel team I used at your level was: Wedge lead, Biggs, Lando, Stormtrooper Han, and Leia. Until you get these guys leveled, and geared up for arena do not farm other characters because crystals are the most important currency in the game.

I would like to do that and indeed already have Biggs, and plan on getting Lando and Wedge asap, but like everyone's saying "focus Phoenix." Honestly I actually like the Rebel team better but eh, "focus Phoenix."
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    Options
    One more thing I'd like to know is at what point will my Phoenix characters be better than my existing characters so I can use them for combat. So thanks to your info I now know I'll be getting Phoenix at 2 stars, not 1. So, will my 2 star Kanan be better than my 4 star CW Chewbacca? Will 2 Star Zeb be better than my other dps?

Once you have all 5 phoenix is when I would definitely switch, if you have Ezra anyone else in phoenix will be decent dps because of his unique.

Even if a 2 star kanan is weaker than 4 star chewie his kit is much better. He can taunt for 2 turns And attack when taunting. Chewie taunts for one turn and doesn't do damage when taunting. Also Kanan letting all the rest of phoenix counter and recover protection makes a big difference.

If you don't have all unlocked you should make a case by case decision based on who you have available.
  • Imperial_CdrShepard7
    55 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Very specific about your squad leader question: Tarkin isn't a good leader for Phoenix, I was talking mostly about one of his powers, it nerfs the damage coming from your opponents. He is a decent leader for Empire or squads including a few Imperials. He can work well outside a leader position with that specific purpose of draining power temporally.

I just remembered something that I should have told you. Once you have unlocked Ezra, switch immediately to farm Hera to unlock her (both require cantina energy, so there's a small conflict). This may contradict some sources, but Hera, at simply 2 stars after unlocking her, *IS* the squad leader you need. Then focus on Ezra again. Hera as leader enables the true synergies that Phoenix squad is famous for.

Phasma is a good leader in the early game, but since you would have to get her from scratch and Zeb is farmed from the same place, I would leave Cpt Phasma for much later.

• Options
    Hello there , could you post your swgoh profile , so people can recommend things you can do with characters.
    Most of characters i had on my old account i didn't even know were useful.
  • Options
    Very specific about your squad leader question: Tarkin isn't a good leader for Phoenix, Phasma is a good leader in the early game, but since you would have to get her from scratch and Zeb is farmed from the same place, I would leave Cpt Phasma for much later.

Yeah, I'm thinkin of Tarkin mostly for Darkside battles b/c I have no Darkside leaders atm besides him. Given the choice, would you choose Tarkin or Phasma?
    Hello there , could you post your swgoh profile , so people can recommend things you can do with characters.

How do I do that - post my profile?
  • TVF
    36603 posts Member
    Options
    Regarding Galactic War, this thread is worth a read:

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com

That's not a thread, that's an entire forum. ;)
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    Wedge etc are better than phoenix but people are telling you to focus on phoenix for your long term goals.

You need phoenix for thrawn who is an end game character. Also phoenix can unlock palpatine who is not as great but both are needed to unlock R2D2, you can do the event without those characters but it is very difficult without them. Then with R2 and some others you get cls.

Thrawn, cls and r2 combine to make one of the best squads you can have.

It takes a long time and the early you start the better
    Oh btw forget about phasma for now focus pheonix and empire.

If you've read and understood everything I wrote (it's a long thread so you might have just skimmed or read the last post) you'd know that I'm already focusing on getting nothing but Phoenix in terms of character shards right now (unless there are resources that don't overlap). The only thing I'm doing that's not pure Phoenix focus is doing a few upgrades on characters I already have to make the transition to Phoenix more comfortable.

I'm making the call to do that even if it slows my Phoenix progression down a week or two cuz it makes my life easier and me happier. IDC about delaying Phoenix 1-2 weeks if the transition is more comfortable for me. FYI, Kanaan, who I just got yesterday, is already my best geared character at gear level 6 if that tells you anything about how much my so-called split-focus (my focus isn't split, really) is slowing me down (it's not slowing me down much, really).

I'm currently able to clear all the content available to my level and I wouldn't be able to do that if the characters I have aren't as strong as they are (was able to clear Galactic War again after that 1 day when I wasn't).

I'm only asking about Phasma who, if you understood what I've written before, I had no intention of getting until Phoenix is maxed b/c I wanted to know if he's ever going to be useful in some capacity in which case I might give him a few paltry upgrades that doesn't set back my Phoenix progression much if at all. If he's totally useless, I wouldn't do that.

On another note, my guild apparently doesn't do non-heroic raids at all. Is that a common thing? What's the difference in reward b/w heroic and non-heroic that a guild wouldn't do non-heroic at all?
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    Options
    On another note, my guild apparently doesn't do non-heroic raids at all. Is that a common thing? What's the difference in reward b/w heroic and non-heroic that a guild wouldn't do non-heroic at all?

Usually one a guild can clear heroic they stick to that.

The big reward difference is shards for raid Han and raid general Kenobi who are two of the top meta characters.

Kenobi is most common squad member at rank 1 and third most common squad member in top 100 ranks. Han solo is 7th at rank 1 and 4th in top 100.

Also the gear drop is better.

It's common to find guilds that do heroic rancour and normal (tier 6) tank. I'm in one. We aren't big enough to do heroic tank yet but we are planning on it soon.

As to phasma eventually you will need 5 first order characters for bb8. With how few first order characters we have that are farmable phasma is automatic unless you want to spend cash at the moment.
  • Imperial_CdrShepard7
    55 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Letareus, I think you're on the right track. Focusing on Phoenix after consolidating a little what you already have, toons that are currently helping you with Cantina battles, DS/LS battles, Galactic War and Arena is important. Once you've completed this "consolidation phase", you can focus by a higher % on the "expansion phase" of acquiring and developing Phoenix characters. It is great that Kanan & Ezra have already become part of your staple roster, and then you will insert another Phoenix eventually, they will progressively acquire more protagonism on your A, B and C teams.

Galactic War is very frustrating some days... You can have no problems for 2-3 days in a row, and all of a sudden you are matched with a person who is 10-15 levels higher and has a $$$ team. That is when the link to how GW algorithm chooses your opponents comes into play. If you have time, I posted a link in my previous post.
    As you said:

- Any 5 rebel characters (including Phoenix guys) can unlock Emperor Palpatine (special event) All at 5 stars minimum. Emperor Palpatine would become the leader of your "B" team, including some Imperials.

- Any 5 Phoenix unlock Thrawn (special event) All at 5 stars minimum. Sabine is the most difficult to farm, so which 5 you focus on is a decision that may be influenced b this fact. All Phoenix guys must be 5 stars to unlock Thrawn. Thrawn is not only useful for Empire or Dark Side squads. He is so good that you will probably use him with all kinds of teams, including Phoenix. In the same fashion as Emp. Palpatine, Thrawn will help to unlock R2D2. Which leads to my next planning stage.

3 Imperials + Palpatine and Thrawn can unlock R2D2 (special event). All five Imperials must be at 5 stars minimum.Palpatine and Thrawn unlock at 5 stars. R2D2 belongs to many factions and is also extremely useful as Thrawn. You will use R2D2 with many different setups.

Toons like BB8 or Commander Luke Skywalker are distant objectives, it seems you have really realized they are a brdge too far right now, particularly for a FTP. I think you're doing great, and I hope we stay allies! By the way, my guild runs Heroic raids most of the time, but once per week, they also run a Tier 5 raid (for 5+star toons), and lower level or newer players like me can benefit enormously. Just having one 7-star toon allows you to join in heroic raids. Even if the enemies wipe you out very fast, all participants get very nice rewards.

Good luck and stay on target!! ;)

• Options

swgoh.gg is an external website that tracks your roster, gear, mods, etc. Pretty much everything in game is tracked there. If you want to take this game seriously, as it seems you do, you'll want to go there and set up/sync your profile. At that point you can link to your profile here on the forums and people can see almost everything about your account, which allows for a lot more specific advice.

Good luck and have fun!
  • Options
    Galactic War is very frustrating some days... You can have no problems for 2-3 days in a row, and all of a sudden you are matched with a person who is 10-15 levels higher and has a $$$ team. That is when the link to how GW algorithm chooses your opponents comes into play. If you have time, I posted a link in my previous post.

Thanks for all your advice! And I had no idea Galactic War was against other players' teams. I thought they were just randomly generated NPC's. BTW, the link you posted didn't work, it's a link to the entire forum.
    fascizio wrote: »

swgoh.gg is an external website that tracks your roster, gear, mods, etc. Pretty much everything in game is tracked there. If you want to take this game seriously, as it seems you do, you'll want to go there and set up/sync your profile. At that point you can link to your profile here on the forums and people can see almost everything about your account, which allows for a lot more specific advice.

Good luck and have fun!

Is that site safe? It's not rated by Norton: https://safeweb.norton.com/report/show?url=swgoh.gg
  • Options

Thanks for all your advice! And I had no idea Galactic War was against other players' teams. I thought they were just randomly generated NPC's. BTW, the link you posted didn't work, it's a link to the entire forum.
    fascizio wrote: »

Good luck and have fun!

Is that site safe? It's not rated by Norton: https://safeweb.norton.com/report/show?url=swgoh.gg
    Swgoh.gg is definitely safe. Everyone who's serious about the game uses it because it's so good.
  • Options
    Fixed the link, this is a guide for galactic war. It was eye-opening for me:

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/127168/is-your-galactic-war-too-hard-here-is-some-help

• Options
    Ally code: 987-416-227

I’m level 85, long time player.