Might as well voice the obvious question about Sith Marauder in DS TB.

2Next

Replies

• Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Kyno wrote: »
    Kyno I get that but why put him in at a higher rank in the first place? wouldnt it just be simpler to put him in the 3 star platoons so everyone can use him or just not put him in the TB since it started before his marquee event did.

The first 3 platoons never change. This was done to allow players to have goals that will help them get settled into TBs.

The goal with putting new toons into higher end TB was to give an advantage to people who are spending $$.

...unless they are in a mixed guild (which almost all are) and there are more required "p2p toons" than there are whales. In which case, CG is punishing their paying customers as well - and they are. My own guild has several who keep ponying up for the "platoon flavor of the month" - only to have the goal posts moved, the numbers increase and us still unable to fill them.

It is a very poor business design that punishes customers for paying you. And yet, CG continues the practice intentionally. It's not by coincidence that there are 4 SM's & 6 Wampa in platoons in phase 4 - and yet only 1 Talia, 1 Zam, 2 Nutes, etc. And the SM's, Wampas and Pandas are spilt up in such a way that it makes it almost impossible to fill more than 2 or 3 platoon groups, even with multiple whales.

In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Options
    Vorgen wrote: »
    Well I guess that brings my point back to what I was saying, why do the devs think its a good idea to do this, it is never a good idea to put up a paywall.

It is if you are running a for-profit business. And last time I checked, EA is not a charity. If you don’t like it, you can always uninstall.

Last time I checked if enough people who spend quit playing they're all out of jobs. There are tons of things that they do for money that either nobody minds, or people actually enjoy. To be honest I actually like a good panic farm if the goal is reachable.

However, this particular method of selling progress in platoons, then taking that progress away to re-sell to the same customers is not well liked by a significant number of players. It strikes me as blatantly unethical. If it were an actual, physical product then it would be the kind of thing that would earn you a prison sentence, but because it's a bit more abstract (a virtual product) it falls in a legal crack.

Seeing as there have been hundreds upon hundreds of changes to the game since launch, and many have been based around player feedback, it's not unreasonable to express displeasure at an aspect of the game that provides no fun at all, and makes people feel cheated. Most of the things that I have felt were unfair, or bad for this game have been changed for the better. This is literally the ONLY thing in the game currently I think is really rotten, and greedy. I believe based on their track record the devs want to balance making a good product we enjoy with keeping the money flowing. Hopefully this thread will get the dev's attention despite the remarks of single minded trolls with nothing useful to contribute.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    Kyno I get that but why put him in at a higher rank in the first place? wouldnt it just be simpler to put him in the 3 star platoons so everyone can use him or just not put him in the TB since it started before his marquee event did.

The first 3 platoons never change. This was done to allow players to have goals that will help them get settled into TBs.

The goal with putting new toons into higher end TB was to give an advantage to people who are spending $$.

...unless they are in a mixed guild (which almost all are) and there are more required "p2p toons" than there are whales. In which case, CG is punishing their paying customers as well - and they are. My own guild has several who keep ponying up for the "platoon flavor of the month" - only to have the goal posts moved, the numbers increase and us still unable to fill them.

It is a very poor business design that punishes customers for paying you. And yet, CG continues the practice intentionally. It's not by coincidence that there are 4 SM's & 6 Wampa in platoons in phase 4 - and yet only 1 Talia, 1 Zam, 2 Nutes, etc. And the SM's, Wampas and Pandas are spilt up in such a way that it makes it almost impossible to fill more than 2 or 3 platoon groups, even with multiple whales.

I only say they only moved them once, because there are only 2 types of players when it comes to this ability to have a toon. F2P and P2P. there is the line. they moved it from F2P to P2P. agree with the choice or not, there it is.

well we all know its just RNG...... :wink:

• Options
    Naraic wrote: »

Phase 1-3 platoons are the same every time. They don't change.

Except for the last time they changed. Other than that, they never change. Until next time.
  • Options
    JacenRoe wrote: »
    Well I guess that brings my point back to what I was saying, why do the devs think its a good idea to do this, it is never a good idea to put up a paywall.

It is if you are running a for-profit business. And last time I checked, EA is not a charity. If you don’t like it, you can always uninstall.

Last time I checked if enough people who spend quit playing they're all out of jobs. There are tons of things that they do for money that either nobody minds, or people actually enjoy. To be honest I actually like a good panic farm if the goal is reachable.

However, this particular method of selling progress in platoons, then taking that progress away to re-sell to the same customers is not well liked by a significant number of players. It strikes me as blatantly unethical. If it were an actual, physical product then it would be the kind of thing that would earn you a prison sentence, but because it's a bit more abstract (a virtual product) it falls in a legal crack.

Seeing as there have been hundreds upon hundreds of changes to the game since launch, and many have been based around player feedback, it's not unreasonable to express displeasure at an aspect of the game that provides no fun at all, and makes people feel cheated. Most of the things that I have felt were unfair, or bad for this game have been changed for the better. This is literally the ONLY thing in the game currently I think is really rotten, and greedy. I believe based on their track record the devs want to balance making a good product we enjoy with keeping the money flowing. Hopefully this thread will get the dev's attention despite the remarks of single minded trolls with nothing useful to contribute.

Ethical? Tell that to the tobacco, alcohol, pharmaceutical companies what they sell do to the general public and those are some of the biggest and most profitable companies in the world. Sorry to bring you back to reality, between profit and ethics, guess which one most companies prioritize?

EA is the one who has access to spending data in this game, neither you or I do. And if it seems to you and I they are getting more aggressive and greedy with their product pricing in game, do you think spenders are quitting or spending more in game? Obviously their strategy is working so why change? I don’t think you have to worry about them losing their jobs any time soon. You can b**** and moan all you want. They won’t change if they don’t see an impact to bottom line.
  • Options

Ethical? Tell that to the tobacco, alcohol, pharmaceutical companies what they sell do to the general public and those are some of the biggest and most profitable companies in the world. Sorry to bring you back to reality, between profit and ethics, guess which one most companies prioritize?

EA is the one who has access to spending data in this game, neither you or I do. And if it seems to you and I they are getting more aggressive and greedy with their product pricing in game, do you think spenders are quitting or spending more in game? Obviously their strategy is working so why change? I don’t think you have to worry about them losing their jobs any time soon. You can b**** and moan all you want. They won’t change if they don’t see an impact to bottom line.

Companies that screw customers often don't get repeat business (that's where ethics comes in) unless your product is required to not die (pharmaceuticals) or chemically addictive (alcohol, tobacco...and pharmaceuticals). I know the devs do read player feedback, and they have made lots of great changes based on that feedback probably coupled with reading the data as you mentioned.

Stats tell you what's happening, but not always why. I know for a fact that we have lost players over platoons, or had people swear off spending because it's not getting them anywhere. So if that's an isolated case, then the devs can keep platoons as is which is selling progress on a game mode, then periodically stealing it back from them to resell to them. But if they see an uptick in spenders quitting then they can come here to read why. And we can continue to talk about it all we want, because this isn't North Korea.
  • Options

[/quote]

I only say they only moved them once, because there are only 2 types of players when it comes to this ability to have a toon. F2P and P2P. there is the line. they moved it from F2P to P2P. agree with the choice or not, there it is.

[/quote]

QFT
  • Options

Well, two points:

1) The p2p have to keep paying every month to keep up (hence the "keep moving them" point). So, as JacenRoe already pointed out, selling progress in platoons, only to take it back and resell it to the same customer again the next month seems to me, to be moving them repeatedly.

2) "RNG" does not mean "equally random chance" - and you know that. ;) The 5-330 packs are RNG as well - but VERY heavily weighted. RNG can also be assigned a "floor" value - such as:

number of Sith Maruaders in platoons = RNG(min 4).

Just, you know, as a hypothetical example.

They can also be assigned to specific slots in specific platoons, that also happen to not be assigned to FOE, as another hypothetical example. This would assure a minimum number of whales per guild required to fill a certain number of platoons. And since we all know CG has access to all that data, I prefer "highly manipulated RNG" as the term to describe platoon assignments.

In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
  • Options

Companies that screw customers often don't get repeat business (that's where ethics comes in) unless your product is required to not die (pharmaceuticals) or chemically addictive (alcohol, tobacco...and pharmaceuticals). I know the devs do read player feedback, and they have made lots of great changes based on that feedback probably coupled with reading the data as you mentioned.

Stats tell you what's happening, but not always why. I know for a fact that we have lost players over platoons, or had people swear off spending because it's not getting them anywhere. So if that's an isolated case, then the devs can keep platoons as is which is selling progress on a game mode, then periodically stealing it back from them to resell to them. But if they see an uptick in spenders quitting then they can come here to read why. And we can continue to talk about it all we want, because this isn't North Korea.

So if a whale spends a fortune to be # in Fleet and Arena, part of mega guild, undefeated in TW, Can solo Haat with CUP your telling me they are going to quit the game over Platoons ???? No..

Now maybe you know someone that has but that's a mega small sample size to go by.

People say in the forums they are quitting every day because they are mad about something and they just want someone to listen does not mean they are going to stop spending or even quit.

The best benefit to having a Star Wars licence..... someone will always pay as long as they are given ample opportunity to lord that #1 Title over others.

The only issue i have with this game is lack of ship content and power creep. I won't stop spending or quit over it. I just invest my money into things that stay away from having to deal with power creep.

People would quit over losing free crystals in arena or ships, maybe they would quit if there would never be another character released or whatever.... ALMOST no one is going to quit over platoons... I feel like people saying this are actually cheapening the real issues people would quit over...

Again can anyone list 20 quitters, 100, 1000, ???? maybe 1 or two and again all you have is someones chat saying they are quitting because of platoons not the real reasons people quit (burnout, family/life issues, spent their inheritance on SW)
  • Options
    @Dk_rek

You are very misinformed. Hundreds of thousands of players install this game every month. Hundreds of thousands also quit every month. Thousands of spenders quit each month.

Source: am EA stockholder receiving many investment reports on them weekly.

Also, many many whales are not high in arena. Most FTP spend more time watching videos and such than P2P. Every whale I have been in a guild with has been ranked below 200. The 2 whales in my arena struggle to be in top 50. Both over 3 mil GP on a July 17 shard. I have seen very few whales high in fleet arena.

Ps, have you not seen the rumors that Disney is threatening to remove EA's license to produce Star Wars games? They've been pretty widely reported.
    Can we rotate out the Moderators?
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    @Dk_rek

You are very misinformed. Hundreds of thousands of players install this game every month. Hundreds of thousands also quit every month. Thousands of spenders quit each month.

Also, many many whales are not high in arena. Most FTP spend more time watching videos and such than P2P. Every whale I have been in a guild with has been ranked below 200. The 2 whales in my arena struggle to be in top 50. Both over 3 mil GP on a July 17 shard. I have seen very few whales high in fleet arena.

Ps, have you not seen the rumors that Disney is threatening to remove EA's license to produce Star Wars games? They've been pretty widely reported.

No your misinformed.

Everything you said may be right....but for the wrong reasons.

It ain't the platoons if Platoons is the final straw for some it's only because of many other issues.

Your biggest issue is "I have been in a guild" the TWO people "in my arena"

honestly man Sample size is a thing.

hundreds of thousands do quit I agree with you.... not because of platoons because something better, more exciting, or more ego lording over spending money to be #1 at something is possible...

Now say I agree platoons shoul be fixed and made easier... it would still be sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo far down on the list of things that actually need to be fixed...

Again....your right about people quitting but your wrong about why.. outside of your sample size

• Options
    Dk_rek wrote: »
    @Dk_rek

No your misinformed.

Everything you said may be right....but for the wrong reasons.

It ain't the platoons if Platoons is the final straw for some it's only because of many other issues.

Your biggest issue is "I have been in a guild" the TWO people "in my arena"

honestly man Sample size is a thing.

hundreds of thousands do quit I agree with you.... not because of platoons because something better, more exciting, or more ego lording over spending money to be #1 at something is possible...

Now say I agree platoons shoul be fixed and made easier... it would still be sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo far down on the list of things that actually need to be fixed...

Again....your right about people quitting but your wrong about why.. outside of your sample size

There are actually very few things I would change that aren't already being worked on, or haven't already been changed. There are also no other issues with the game currently that have caused people I know to say they feel robbed, or that take away progress people have already paid for.

Also if your assertion that few people if any are quitting due to platoons is true, and it's just a straw vs. camel's back situation, then isn't reducing the number of straws a wise strategy for a company that wants them to keep playing/paying?

And since platoons have been tampered with multiple times already, what makes you so sure it's totally off the dev's radar?

As I pointed out above, I'm not asserting that platoons are the sole direct cause of most rage quits. You make lots of assumptions you can't prove. All I'm saying is that it strikes me as stealing from the players, and that nothing else in the game is that insulting to me. And I know for a fact that it has caused (or was at least the main contributing factor to) people I know to rage quit. I have also noticed that there is a massive flood of venom and hate in guild chat when new extortion toons are added to platoons. There is no other topic that evokes that reaction currently.

So seeing as this is the place the devs have directed us to send feedback... we are doing so.

Do you actually have an argument for why they are good, and fair, and bring joy to your gaming experience... or are you just going to keep trolling?
  • Options
    @Kyno I liked your point about moving the goal posts from FTP to PTW. It makes a better comparison for everyone and I think it was missed.

The reason I think platoons are obnoxious is that one character can completely ruin the platoon. I've been noticing the only platoons that don't require some of the PTW characters are the ones where all the Empire characters are needed.

Coincidence? I think not; however, the game needs to continue to thrive and make money, so I understand why they need to sort of "force" the hand a little. I think a smarter way to do this would've ben to keep certain PTW characters out of the first 3 platoons in every phase and make 4-6 much harder. This then places guilds in the situation where they can fill 3 platoons but need some of the fresher characters to get to 4 platoons completed for the bonus.
  • Options
    The difference might be 1 star less, maybe 2. Look at the reward differences, not much. If you think this will affect you greatly in the long run then you're probably still hurt about pre-crafting.

This has been the same argument every TB. Let's get over it already.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    Meerava wrote: »
    The difference might be 1 star less, maybe 2. Look at the reward differences, not much. If you think this will affect you greatly in the long run then you're probably still hurt about pre-crafting.

pre-craft debacle
    Good times, haha. I wasn't high lvl enough at the time and i'm reasonably sure others weren't either, yet they did blame pre-crafting for their low arena rank, for months !
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options

The difference is:

Platoons filled: Its very difficult, but good teams can beat it. It's actually fun, and challenging to play. It's tuned to be just right for g11-12 toons. Well designed end game content that some look forward to.

Platoons not filled: It's pointless to play. You have a coin flip chance of being obliterated by air strikes. Or being chain assisted to death without moving. Auto through, get either the same stars, or maybe one less, and get zero enjoyment from it. No player engagement.

Also you are doing the same troll nonsense with nothing to contribute. How is it a good/enjoyable part of the game? What justifies taking progress away from people that they already paid for, and reselling it to them? What good reason is there to just 'get over it' and assume it will never change when there have been literally hundreds upon hundreds of changes to the game? Why should you shush people trying to talk about it on the forum set up by the devs for us to... talk about it?
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

The difference is I want to use my charaters to make a synegized team and blow stuff up. Not simply hit deploy and that is the extent of their use in what could have been an excellent game mode over the next 3-6 days.
  • Options
    So how about platoons changed from some PTP char to 12 GG, 13 uroooruroo or something like?
    They are FTP but most of the guilds are not going to complete it anyway.
  • Options
    Phoenixeon wrote: »
    So how about platoons changed from some PTP char to 12 GG, 13 uroooruroo or something like?

I would actually prefer that. It would be a rotten grind, and I'm assuming you meant that as a joke. But it's a goal that actually can be achieved. Once reached it wouldn't be reset at the cost of $300x6 every few weeks.

The next Territory Battles map to come out (maybe later this year?) would obviously have a new set of toons nobody has to grind, and that would be a set goal to work towards until that new map was actually beaten.

That's all I'm saying. Give me a horrible, steep, rotten, miserable challenge... that can actually be achieved eventually. And keep it the same until it can be beaten. Then make a new steep challenge to grind for instead of kicking us down the stairs every time we get close, or just keeping it permanently unreachable.
  • Options

I would actually prefer that. It would be a rotten grind, and I'm assuming you meant that as a joke. But it's a goal that actually can be achieved. Once reached it wouldn't be reset at the cost of $300x6 every few weeks.

The next Territory Battles map to come out (maybe later this year?) would obviously have a new set of toons nobody has to grind, and that would be a set goal to work towards until that new map was actually beaten.

That's all I'm saying. Give me a horrible, steep, rotten, miserable challenge... that can actually be achieved eventually. And keep it the same until it can be beaten. Then make a new steep challenge to grind for instead of kicking us down the stairs every time we get close, or just keeping it permanently unreachable.

I said that when Holdo and Rose released.
    I know seeing a new guy there in the platoon(s) that my guild cant finish is not feeling good, but if RNG gives 12 R2, 13 Lobot or so, my guild is not going to finish the platoons anyway.
    As both results are the platoons incomplete, I dont really care which one occurs...
  • Options

I know seeing a new guy there in the platoon(s) that my guild cant finish is not feeling good, but if RNG gives 12 R2, 13 Lobot or so, my guild is not going to finish the platoons anyway.
    As both results are the platoons incomplete, I dont really care which one occurs...

Except that there is virtually no chance that there will be 12 R2 or 13 Lobot...sadly, because CG/EA already know that most guilds could fill those requirements (even though your specific guild might struggle). They already know who the "haves" and have nots" are - and manipulate platoon requirements to make sure most are the "have nots" in effort to get them to spend on the toons they don't have.

Which might be an acceptable marketing strategy for some. Except for the fact that a month from now, when they release new heroes for a price, the cycle starts again, so those that had paid real money to "progress" in TB platoons, now have to pay again to progress to the same level.

• leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options

Except that there is virtually no chance that there will be 12 R2 or 13 Lobot...sadly, because CG/EA already know that most guilds could fill those requirements (even though your specific guild might struggle). They already know who the "haves" and have nots" are - and manipulate platoon requirements to make sure most are the "have nots" in effort to get them to spend on the toons they don't have.

Which might be an acceptable marketing strategy for some. Except for the fact that a month from now, when they release new heroes for a price, the cycle starts again, so those that had paid real money to "progress" in TB platoons, now have to pay again to progress to the same level.

the platoon requirements are aimed at the "haves", not the "have nots". The have nots don't care that much (and they shouldn't)
    Also, my guild doesn't have 13 7* lobots, so i highly doubt most guilds have.
    Save water, drink champagne!