New player, level 52, need some advice.

Hello everyone,

I just started playing ( start of february ) and I need some advice. I started out with farming for the Phoenix squad, but then read somewhere they're not as good as everyone says..

So I stopped farming them, and I bought Darth Vader, Darth Sidious and Count Dooku.

Now my question is, who should I (continue to) farm, or who should I be focusing on, as I feel I'm currently farming too many different characters. Any additional help would also be appreciated.

Current characters (notable): Darth Vader (5) , Darth Sidious (4), Kylo ren (4), Count Dooku (4) Boba fett (4), KRU (2) - All Gear level 5, except Vader and Kylo lvl 6.

I also have the whole phoenix squad, all level 3 stars and Gear level 5.

Other characters I have unlocked: Luminara Unduli, Grand Moff Tarking, Sith marauder, Biggs Darklighter, ... Today I will unlock Stormtrooper Han and Lando ..

I haven't really been focussing on 1 squad, and I need some advice, help..

Thank you very much !

Replies

• Sunnie1978
    2937 posts Moderator
    edited February 2018
    Options
    You seem to be spreading yourself too thin. It is better to concentrate on a few good toons for teams rather than try to unlock everyone right now.

The Game Changers have beginner videos suggesting what to farm and why, which may be helpful. https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/154847/new-player-farming-guide-2018/p1

Multipurpose toons are some of the most useful at the beginning. Phoenix squad is also useful, both for galactic war, ships and special events. Stormtrooper Han is a good choice, as he is also a scoundrel, which you will need 5 scoundrels for credit heist and training droid heist. Lando is also both scoundrel and rebel. Biggs and Wedge are both rebels and ship pilots, with Biggs being the best ship to have.

Most suggest Phoenix as they can do 2 Legendary events, Emperor's Demise, which will grant you shards of Emperor Palpatine, and Artist of War, that will grant you shards of Grand Admiral Thrawn. Both of these characters unlock at 5*, so you will need 5 phoenix squad members at 5* to unlock (they will need to be 7* if you want a 7* Thawn or Emperor). Thrawn is useful in almost any arena team and his capital ship, Chimaera, is one of the best in the game currently.

Next, most people are advised to either work on a scoundrel team or an Empire team. You will need 5 scoundrels for the highest level of credit heist and training droid heist. Once you unlock mods, leveling mods to 15 will take a lot of credits, so it is important to have a scoundrel group for heists. You will need 5 Empire to do another Legendary event, Daring Droid, which gives R2D2 shards. Like the other Legendary toons, R2D2 unlocks at a 5.

At the end, it is your game and there are no right or wrong answers, so get all the advice you can, and then play the way you want to play. You may decide you would rather farm First Order or Resistance, and if you feel that way, then do it :)

To see what characters and gear level are needed for events, you can look at the list of reoccurring events which also may impact what you are farming.

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/154696/reoccurring-events-and-characters-required-index/p1

Also, here is a handy guide to the acronyms of SWGOH: https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/154048/guide-to-the-acronyms-and-terms-of-star-wars-galaxy-of-heroes-swgoh

A lot of the basic information about the forums can be found here: https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/154737/new-player-index.p1

There is also a Guides Index, with a lot of advice and information for old and new players, such as guides and what unlocks when: https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/152788/guides-index/p1
  • Sunnie1978
    2937 posts Moderator
    Options
    Looking at my response:
    2wlw5p90k018.jpg
    :s
  • Options
    Phoenix are good to begin with for a few reasons. To begin with, they count as Rebels, so you can use them for Thrawn and Palpatine events. Two birds, one stone. Second, their synergy in early to mid-game allows them to compete decently in Arena (and at a considerably lower Power level than other teams). And third, you will eventually need them for late game in TW (or TB, I forget which).

As mentioned by Sunnie, you need to be mindful of how many toons you are trying to farm at any given time, as doing too many at once will slow you down. Figure out who you want to focus on, and stick with them. I personally suggest about three max.

As for Vader, Sidious, and Dooku, I would probably focus on them AFTER I got my Phoenix team in order. But they should do well in Arena once you level them (and flesh out the team) once Phoenix falls off.
  • Options
    Sunnie1978 wrote: »
    You seem to be spreading yourself too thin. It is better to concentrate on a few good toons for teams rather than try to unlock everyone right now.

The Game Changers have beginner videos suggesting what to farm and why, which may be helpful. https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/154847/new-player-farming-guide-2018/p1

Multipurpose toons are some of the most useful at the beginning. Phoenix squad is also useful, both for galactic war, ships and special events. Stormtrooper Han is a good choice, as he is also a scoundrel, which you will need 5 scoundrels for credit heist and training droid heist. Lando is also both scoundrel and rebel. Biggs and Wedge are both rebels and ship pilots, with Biggs being the best ship to have.

Most suggest Phoenix as they can do 2 Legendary events, Emperor's Demise, which will grant you shards of Emperor Palpatine, and Artist of War, that will grant you shards of Grand Admiral Thrawn. Both of these characters unlock at 5*, so you will need 5 phoenix squad members at 5* to unlock (they will need to be 7* if you want a 7* Thawn or Emperor). Thrawn is useful in almost any arena team and his capital ship, Chimaera, is one of the best in the game currently.

Next, most people are advised to either work on a scoundrel team or an Empire team. You will need 5 scoundrels for the highest level of credit heist and training droid heist. Once you unlock mods, leveling mods to 15 will take a lot of credits, so it is important to have a scoundrel group for heists. You will need 5 Empire to do another Legendary event, Daring Droid, which gives R2D2 shards. Like the other Legendary toons, R2D2 unlocks at a 5.

At the end, it is your game and there are no right or wrong answers, so get all the advice you can, and then play the way you want to play. You may decide you would rather farm First Order or Resistance, and if you feel that way, then do it :)

To see what characters and gear level are needed for events, you can look at the list of reoccurring events which also may impact what you are farming.

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/154696/reoccurring-events-and-characters-required-index/p1

Also, here is a handy guide to the acronyms of SWGOH: https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/154048/guide-to-the-acronyms-and-terms-of-star-wars-galaxy-of-heroes-swgoh

A lot of the basic information about the forums can be found here: https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/154737/new-player-index.p1

There is also a Guides Index, with a lot of advice and information for old and new players, such as guides and what unlocks when: https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/152788/guides-index/p1

Hello, and thanks for your informative reply !

It is indeed a lot of text, but I really appreciate you putting so much effort into helping me ! :)

So, according to you, what would the right course of action be?
    Should I drop what I'm doing and just start farming the phoenix team? Or skip that and start working on my scoundrel team?
    I feel like I've kinda hit a wall here, indeed by trying to unlock everyone.. I also have next to no gear left, and almost no training droids as I have leveled almost everyone ..

Or would you say it's to late, and maybe just start fresh (new account)? My rank in squad arena is between 2000 - 1500 at the moment.

And by the way, thank you for linking all those guides, I will definitely take a look at them later on !

Very much appreciated !
  • Options
    Xoulrath wrote: »
    Phoenix are good to begin with for a few reasons. To begin with, they count as Rebels, so you can use them for Thrawn and Palpatine events. Two birds, one stone. Second, their synergy in early to mid-game allows them to compete decently in Arena (and at a considerably lower Power level than other teams). And third, you will eventually need them for late game in TW (or TB, I forget which).

As mentioned by Sunnie, you need to be mindful of how many toons you are trying to farm at any given time, as doing too many at once will slow you down. Figure out who you want to focus on, and stick with them. I personally suggest about three max.

As for Vader, Sidious, and Dooku, I would probably focus on them AFTER I got my Phoenix team in order. But they should do well in Arena once you level them (and flesh out the team) once Phoenix falls off.

Thanks for your reply !

So you would recommend getting my phoenix team in order first? Before doing anything else?
    Even with the fact I'm currently level 52 ? Wouldn't I be falling behind a bit? I really have no idea as I'm quite new :)

And the problem is, I don't really have a lot of training droids, ability mats, etc left.
    I do have 5.5m credits left though.

My current arena rank is 2000 - 1500. Thank you for your help !
  • Xoulrath
    101 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Lupe wrote: »

Thanks for your reply !

So you would recommend getting my phoenix team in order first? Before doing anything else?
    Even with the fact I'm currently level 52 ? Wouldn't I be falling behind a bit? I really have no idea as I'm quite new :)

And the problem is, I don't really have a lot of training droids, ability mats, etc left.

I personally made the mistake of leveling toons based on what I liked. For me, that was Jedi. I was already well into leveling them before I realized as a whole that they are not any good.

I wish that I had found this site earlier, because I would have focused on Phoenix first. As I mentioned earlier, Phoenix will allow you to go for Thrawn and Palpatine when their respective events pop back up. You need Phoenix for Thrawn and Rebels for EP, so again, it's a two birds, one stone situation. Additionally, Phoenix does well in early to mid Arena, and their defensive nature helps to prevent you from dropping too much when you are attacked. The higher you place, the more Crystals you get, which can be used to help you level and gear that much faster.

One thing that I did forget to mention is that you will need to focus on Scoundrels so that you can do Credit Heists with ease. 5.5M Credits sounds like a lot, but you will burn through that quickly once you start promoting toons to 5* and above, and once you start focusing on Mods. Boba Fett is probably your best bet here, as he is a solid toon overall, and not terribly hard to farm. You get him to 5* and you can more or less just fill the rest of your Scoundrel team with cannon fodder.

• MprezdNZ
    21 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    As others have said, really focus on your phoenix. Not only do they get you 2 empire toons (so you don't have to worry about stormtrooper for example), but they're also relatively easy to farm as only hera and ezra fight for shards. I'd say get Ezra to 5* first and then go back and level up Hera, Chopper from Cantina store, Kanan from Arena, Zeb from GW. Sabine is a slow farm, but they may bring back their character shard event too. Sabine v Chopper is a tough one. For Thrawn i'd say Chopper just for defense really and easier to farm.

Focus on giving them as much gear as you can - preferably try and get them to G9. Once you have them all 5 star, I'd work on Scoundrels for credit heist and droid training. You could just go all bounty hunter, and ignore Lando, as it helps for DS TB, but Lando is probably the best character for heist (as an easy farm) along with Boba and sthan. Some fo the bounter hunters are also difficult farms when you could spend that resource better early on. I'd say get them to 5* before you worry about phoenix going to 7*, especially if you can get phoenix to g9. gear is just so much more important than level - apart form when you get blocked by level (like getting thrawn 7*).

My view for credit heist team would be:

Boba
    Lando
    St Han
    IG-88
    Cad Bane or Chewie

(the first 3 geared up can almost solo most of it). I use Cad Bane and IG-88. But if I was starting again I probably wouldn't waste my time on Cad Bane (I just love him from Clone Wars). He has a good leader ability, but otherwise he is just ok for me.

I wouldn't start again given you have put money into vader etc already. You just have to put them on the back burner
  • Options

Thanks for your reply !

I personally made the mistake of leveling toons based on what I liked. For me, that was Jedi. I was already well into leveling them before I realized as a whole that they are not any good.

I wish that I had found this site earlier, because I would have focused on Phoenix first. As I mentioned earlier, Phoenix will allow you to go for Thrawn and Palpatine when their respective events pop back up. You need Phoenix for Thrawn and Rebels for EP, so again, it's a two birds, one stone situation. Additionally, Phoenix does well in early to mid Arena, and their defensive nature helps to prevent you from dropping too much when you are attacked. The higher you place, the more Crystals you get, which can be used to help you level and gear that much faster.

One thing that I did forget to mention is that you will need to focus on Scoundrels so that you can do Credit Heists with ease. 5.5M Credits sounds like a lot, but you will burn through that quickly once you start promoting toons to 5* and above, and once you start focusing on Mods. Boba Fett is probably your best bet here, as he is a solid toon overall, and not terribly hard to farm. You get him to 5* and you can more or less just fill the rest of your Scoundrel team with cannon fodder.

Thank you again for your reply !

Okay, do you think it's a good plan to get all my phoenix characters up to 5 stars and keep on gearing them, and then after getting 5*, start farming for 5* scoundrel team?
    And then continue with my PS?

Thank you so much!
  • Options
    MprezdNZ wrote: »
    As others have said, really focus on your phoenix. Not only do they get you 2 empire toons (so you don't have to worry about stormtrooper for example), but they're also relatively easy to farm as only hera and ezra fight for shards. I'd say get Ezra to 5* first and then go back and level up Hera, Chopper from Cantina store, Kanan from Arena, Zeb from GW. Sabine is a slow farm, but they may bring back their character shard event too. Sabine v Chopper is a tough one. For Thrawn i'd say Chopper just for defense really and easier to farm.

Focus on giving them as much gear as you can - preferably try and get them to G9. Once you have them all 5 star, I'd work on Scoundrels for credit heist and droid training. You could just go all bounty hunter, and ignore Lando, as it helps for DS TB, but Lando is probably the best character for heist (as an easy farm) along with Boba and sthan. Some fo the bounter hunters are also difficult farms when you could spend that resource better early on. I'd say get them to 5* before you worry about phoenix going to 7*, especially if you can get phoenix to g9. gear is just so much more important than level - apart form when you get blocked by level (like getting thrawn 7*).

Boba
    Lando
    St Han
    IG-88
    Cad Bane or Chewie

(the first 3 geared up can almost solo most of it). I use Cad Bane and IG-88. But if I was starting again I probably wouldn't waste my time on Cad Bane (I just love him from Clone Wars). He has a good leader ability, but otherwise he is just ok for me.

I wouldn't start again given you have put money into vader etc already. You just have to put them on the back burner

Okay thank you very much for your reply !

So to check if I understand correctly:

Get PS all to 5* and good gear, and then get a scoundrel team to 5*.
    And then continue with my phoenix squad?

And stop upgrading Vader, Sidious, etc for a while?

One thing I still don't fully understand are the Guilds.

I'm in a guild, but nothing ever seems to happen, is that normal?

Thank you so much again!
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options
    MprezdNZ wrote: »

Boba
    Lando
    St Han
    IG-88
    Cad Bane or Chewie

Okay thank you very much for your reply !

So to check if I understand correctly:

Get PS all to 5* and good gear, and then get a scoundrel team to 5*.
    And then continue with my phoenix squad?

And stop upgrading Vader, Sidious, etc for a while?

One thing I still don't fully understand are the Guilds.

I'm in a guild, but nothing ever seems to happen, is that normal?

Thank you so much again!

It could be that your guild is not very good or active. Guilds should be doing regular raids at the least. Once you are higher level there will be other guild events as well. And you should be getting guild coins each day for the daily activity. You want to be in a guild that is close to full and very active. Finding one on here instead of picking at random from the game will likely get you better results.
  • Options
    Looks like you are getting the advice you need in here, but if you want to read some more tips, here's what I have to say:
    https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/comment/1455075#Comment_1455075
    Oh heck, I will just copy it for you:
    This got longer than I intended. lol. Have fun reading or don't.

Everybody means well when they suggest all these teams you need to go get, and they are mostly right when they say "get a rebel team" and "get some scoundrels for the credit heist," but the one card you have that trumps every suggestion is that it is YOUR game to play the way you want, so if you want a jedi team then go get them!

A few tips for you:
    1. Do not overextend. If you try to farm everything at once, you will suffer greatly. Pick a direction and stick with it. If you decide it is time to farm up some rebels, then do it and stick to the plan. Star and gear them until you just can't stand it anymore, and then do it some more. For me in early game, this meant 5* minimum (6* preferred), g7. Gear after g8 starts to get difficult.
    2. Refresh energy with crystals. You are already doing this, good. Do at least one refresh in Cantina and one in regular battles, if you have the crystals.
    3. Skip ability mats in the cantina store. You will regret every mat you buy from there. Before long you will have massive piles of these. Buy character shards.
    4. Mods. Enhance the strengths your character already has. (Example: Lando can make it rain every single turn if he gets multiple crits on his attack. Try to make sure this happens by boosting his crit chance with mod sets, primaries, and secondaries.) One of the "better" sets early on is Crit Damage, because you can collect a set of any four from Mod Battles, level them up and you get a 30% set bonus even if they are only 1* mods. This is a big boost ... but you have to crit first, of course. Protection primaries are generally better than health mods, maybe not so great at g7, but they get progressively better as you gear up.
    5. 7* for raids. To get g8 gear, you need to start raiding, and you need to get in a guild that is doing Heroic Rancor. You will need at least one 7* character to qualify for the raid. Either stick with your guild until you are all ready for the Heroics, or sneak away in the dead of night to another one already there.
    6. Hard node farming. Part of your daily activities is to farm hard nodes. Choose wisely. Select a node with a character that can ONLY be farmed from hard nodes. Sabine comes to mind, FOST, Veers, maybe HR Soldier or even Royal Guard. These take FOREVER to collect, so start early and stick to the plan.
    7. Clone Wars Chewbacca. You can probably just stop developing him where he is. Mine is STILL L60 g7, and even that was too much. He only got his 6* because the shards eventually piled up somehow.
    8. Leave unused characters unleveled. I know you need characters for LS/DS battles, and that's fine, build those squads. But a 2* L42 g4 Ewok Scout is not going to do anything for you, so quit spending resources on him. Credits and gear are scarce, do not use them unless you have a definite purpose in mind. Characters are best left at L1 g1 until you are ready to FOCUS on them.
    9. Favorites. Take your focus characters that you are developing and put them in your favorites list. Include the characters you are gearing and shard collecting. When you pull up the character menu to see what you should work on today, use the Favorites tab. Just work on those characters. This helps with focus. Update your favorites periodically.

You have Jedi. You have Kanan. You need Ezra. Ezra is a Jedi and a Rebel, and is a vicious hitter. He qualifies for both the Palpatine and Thrawn events. He is endish-game material and available on Cantina 2B.

You should always be farming a specific character from every source as they become available, that means GW store, cantina store, arena store, guild store, fleet store, hard nodes. Stick with your farm even when you see somebody else doing great things with a different character you also want.

Have fun.

Most important: stick with your plan, you will never make progress if you bounce around too much. FOCUS! Phoenix Squadron will serve you very well. Pairing new Palpatine and Vader is proving to be more than a match for Commander Luke teams, so PS is still a good opening path.
  • Yerff_Caasi
    736 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    All the advice you've been getting is quite sound.
    I'm only a couple months more experienced than you, but I would say that Phoenix is a safe bet to start. They are all-around great early- and mid-game. Great in GW, great in Arena, good for Palpatine and Thrawn events (Kanan and Ezra also work for Yoda event), and the best part: they are an easy farm.
    Now of course, easy is a relative term, but what I mean is that they come from different sources, so they can be farmed simultaneously, and some rather quickly. Zeb is in GW store, so that's 15 shards a day, if you win every day, and spend it all on him (which I would recommend). If you have him at 3*, you can get him to 7* in 3 weeks (and you really want at least one 7* character). Kanan is in Arena store, so also not a hard farm. If you are doing well in Arena, you should be able to star him up quickly as well. (I was getting roughly 15 shards per 2 days.) Farm Hera and Ezra from Cantina battles (I would do Hera up to 5* first, then Ezra), and you buy Chop shards with the tokens you earn from this farming. It's really a solid plan and if you keep up with it, you'll stay competitive in your Arena shard.
    One important thing I want to note is that you need to mod them properly. It took me ages to figure this out, but you want to mod them all with Speed primaries and secondaries, to get them as fast as possible, especially Ezra, Zeb, and Chop. This will keep you competitive in Arena for a while. That said, personally, I didn't mod Kanan for speed--I modded him with health and protection instead. So now I have a taunting super-tank that is also incredibly slow. Can you see why? His two turn taunt keeps the enemy focused on him for a long time. I found this useful.
    A word of Arena strategy: know your strengths. Personally I found that my Phx is fantastic against Nightsister squads. I can beat almost any of them. With my long Kanan taunt, the others are free for offense. Save Ezra and Chop's buff dispells for when Zombie taunts, and target the healers first (especially Old Daka). That is what works for me. I don't know if that will work for you too, but the point is, find a team you are good at beating, and look for these squads in your Arena shard. They will make stepping stones for you to climb the ladder.
    Now, the word of warning: Phoenix stops being viable in Arena in the early late-game. I realized this too late, and now I'm having to farm a new Arena team, while my Arena placement suffers. I would suggest that once you have Zeb and Kanan to 7*, and the others to 5*, you start farming a new team. Your Sith team is probably a good thing to focus on for that replacement.

EDIT: I almost forgot about Gear Level. I would probably only take them to G7 or G8 before I start putting that gear toward my new Arena team.
    "Don't take yourself so serious; it's a game, have fun!" • https://swgoh.gg/u/yerffcaasi/
  • Options
    I'm only a couple months more experienced than you, but I would say that Phoenix is a safe bet to start. They are all-around great early- and mid-game. Great in GW, great in Arena, good for Palpatine and Thrawn events (Kanan and Ezra also work for Yoda event), and the best part: they are an easy farm.
    Now of course, easy is a relative term, but what I mean is that they come from different sources, so they can be farmed simultaneously, and some rather quickly. Zeb is in GW store, so that's 15 shards a day, if you win every day, and spend it all on him (which I would recommend). If you have him at 3*, you can get him to 7* in 3 weeks (and you really want at least one 7* character). Kanan is in Arena store, so also not a hard farm. If you are doing well in Arena, you should be able to star him up quickly as well. (I was getting roughly 15 shards per 2 days.) Farm Hera and Ezra from Cantina battles (I would do Hera up to 5* first, then Ezra), and you buy Chop shards with the tokens you earn from this farming. It's really a solid plan and if you keep up with it, you'll stay competitive in your Arena shard.
    One important thing I want to note is that you need to mod them properly. It took me ages to figure this out, but you want to mod them all with Speed primaries and secondaries, to get them as fast as possible, especially Ezra, Zeb, and Chop. This will keep you competitive in Arena for a while. That said, personally, I didn't mod Kanan for speed--I modded him with health and protection instead. So now I have a taunting super-tank that is also incredibly slow. Can you see why? His two turn taunt keeps the enemy focused on him for a long time. I found this useful.
    A word of Arena strategy: know your strengths. Personally I found that my Phx is fantastic against Nightsister squads. I can beat almost any of them. With my long Kanan taunt, the others are free for offense. Save Ezra and Chop's buff dispells for when Zombie taunts, and target the healers first (especially Old Daka). That is what works for me. I don't know if that will work for you too, but the point is, find a team you are good at beating, and look for these squads in your Arena shard. They will make stepping stones for you to climb the ladder.
    Now, the word of warning: Phoenix stops being viable in Arena in the early late-game. I realized this too late, and now I'm having to farm a new Arena team, while my Arena placement suffers. I would suggest that once you have Zeb and Kanan to 7*, and the others to 5*, you start farming a new team. Your Sith team is probably a good thing to focus on for that replacement.

EDIT: I almost forgot about Gear Level. I would probably only take them to G7 or G8 before I start putting that gear toward my new Arena team.

Thank you so much for this helpful post and reply !

I will definetly keep all this in mind, this has been some good advice!

Some more questions to add on:

- Would you just straight out farm untill I have Zeb and Kanan to 7*, and others to 5*, or when I get all 5*, go for the scoundrel team? As others have said it's important that I get them too.

- Another thing is that it seems that I am lacking behind in Arena (with PS at least).
    My PS is only like 10K power, while others in my bracket have PS with 16-20k power.
    Only my other Sith team can currently keep me a place in top 2000.
    Is this because I started farming them too late ? And is this a problem for in the future?

- And do you have any tips on how to find a Guild that does some activities for "new" players?
    Guilds are the one thing I really don't understand yet :)

But, even if you don't reply to this, thank you so much for you help !

I really appreciate it ! :)
  • Options

- Would you just straight out farm untill I have Zeb and Kanan to 7*, and others to 5*, or when I get all 5*, go for the scoundrel team? As others have said it's important that I get them too.

- Another thing is that it seems that I am lacking behind in Arena (with PS at least).
    My PS is only like 10K power, while others in my bracket have PS with 16-20k power.
    Is this because I started farming them too late ? And is this a problem for in the future?

- And do you have any tips on how to find a Guild that does some activities for "new" players?

DO NOT STOP FARMING PHOENIX FOR SCOUNDRELS! Seriously don't even consider it for a split second
  • Options
    At this point I've gotten Ezra, Zeb, Kanan to 7 and Chopper is 80/100 to 7. Hera is still 5. Getting scoundrels is important, but you really need to keep pushing til Phoenix is topped. It'll make GW easy, and you don't want to be sitting around with a sweet scoundrel team but a bunch of 4* Phoenix when EP and Thrawn come back.
    Ally Code 766-465-766 swgoh.gg/u/trystansr/collection/
  • Options

For your first question, if your farm goes the way mine did, you will likely get Zeb and Kanan to 7* before the others make it to 5*. If that doesn't happen, definitely drill at least one of them up to 7*. You want at least one of these ASAP. The Scoundrel squad is important, yes, but you shouldn't, in my experience, ever shift your focus to them fully. All you really need to do is get five Scoundrels--they don't need to be OP. As such, I consider them a "side-farm", which means that you only farm them with whatever is leftover from farming Phoenix. For example, when you finish with Zeb, you can pull some Cad shards from the GW store. Dengar is in the Guild Store, so he can be grabbed independently. Little things like that--just don't focus on them too much!

As for your second question, I would stick to Phoenix if possible. No matter how high you get in your shard, there will always be players that are significantly more powerful than you. But there will also be those more comparable to you, and even some with less GP. That's just how it works. Use the refresh in the upper left corner (NOT the one you use crystals for) liberally, to give you more opponents. Cherry-pick only opponents you feel you can beat. After a few days, I determined my Phoenix could beat most teams that were 3-4K more GP than mine. Of course, I also couldn't beat most Phx Squads (within the allotted time) unless they were about 4-5K less GP than me. But in my experience, you'll get the hang of it quick, and they'll help you climb the ranks for a while if you stick with them. One of the best things about Phx in Arena is that they are a great defensive squad. This means that you don't get beaten and slide down the leaderboard quite as often.
    I started farming them late too, and I succeeded with them. I don't personally think it will be a problem in the future, but of course, every player will have a different experience, because you have different opponents in your shard.

For guilds, my best tip is to post is to post here: https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/156690/players-looking-for-guilds-february-2018-read-rules-in-first-post-before-posting Follow the format of the example post, and share that you're new to guilds and looking to learn and for some advice. You'll start getting offers pretty quickly. Alternatively (or additionally) you could look in the Guild Recruitment section at the thread where Casual (possibly Active) guilds post ads. You might find a guild that looks good, but in my experience that's harder.
    Guilds are great because Raid rewards and Gear donations both get you hard-to-achieve gear for your Phx. Gear donations especially are important. If they run Heroic raids, you'll also get shards for high-level characters, but you need one of your characters to 7* to participate (that's why it's so important to get one!)
    I actually know of a nice guild that you might want to join, depending on your Level. What Level are you?
    "Don't take yourself so serious; it's a game, have fun!" • https://swgoh.gg/u/yerffcaasi/
  • Options

I'm glad to be of help! :)

Regarding your first question, if your farm goes the way mine did, you will probably have Zeb and Kanan to 7* before the rest get to 5*. If that doesn't happen, I'd still recommend you farm at least one of them through to 7*--you need one of these ASAP!
    And Scoundrels are important, yes, but I don't think you should make them your primary focus ever. They should be a "side-farm." Only put the bear-minimum toward them--enough to win the stage of Heist that you've unlocked. Use what is leftover from your normal Phx farming, and if you focus on them at all, don't do it for more than a day or two.

I would say that your experience in Arena is fairly normal. I started farming them late myself, and I don't think it will be a problem in the future. No matter what squad you use, it's likely you will always see players with more GP than you, while others are equal or lower than you. Use the refresh in the upper left corner (NOT the one that costs crystals) liberally, and cherry-pick opponents that you feel you can beat. For me, I could beat most players that were 3-4K GP higher than me, but no Phx squads unless they were 4-5k below me. Then later on others got harder to beat, but NS still I can do to this day. So I would say stick with Phx, and they'll be good to you for quite a while. I would only make a change if you are falling or at a standstill in your shard, over an extended period. But I expect you will see some advancement before then, as you increase their GP. Now of course, everyone will have their own experience, because the opponents in each shard are different. I leveled off at about 200 in my Arena shard with Phx. I know someone else that only got to about 1000. It does vary some.

I actually know of a guild that might be good for you, if you are interested. If you post your ally code and make sure you aren't already in a guild, I'll see if I can get you in. They're very helpful, in advice and activities.
    Otherwise, I'd recommend posting here: https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/156690/players-looking-for-guilds-february-2018-read-rules-in-first-post-before-posting Follow the example in the first post, and say that you're a new player looking to learn and grow. You'll start getting invitations really quickly.
  • Sunnie1978
    2937 posts Moderator
    Options
    I think getting Phoenix to 7* is a good primary focus, as you cannot do a heroic rancor raid without having 1 7* character. Heroic rancor will give you Han Solo shards and is another one of those useful toons that can plug into a variety of arena teams. Having 5 at 7* with good gear will also allow you to get a 7* emperor and thrawn, as well as complete galactic war, which can help provide credits and shards. I agree with the people who mention scoundrels as a side project. You still have quite a few levels to go before you will be required to have 5 for the highest level of credit heist and training droid heist, so they can be farmed slower.

As for guilds, it is good to try to find one that is close to full and has active members. You may want to inquire about the average raid tickets the guild gets per day. The maximum any guild can produce is 30,000 raid tickets a day, which would be a heroic rancor raid ever 2 days, so if you want the most gear and shards, you will want a guild that averages as close to the maximum as possible. Most also suggest trying to find a guild running the highest raid you can qualify for, as the rewards are better at the higher levels.
  • Options

Regarding your first question, if your farm goes the way mine did, you will probably have Zeb and Kanan to 7* before the rest get to 5*. If that doesn't happen, I'd still recommend you farm at least one of them through to 7*--you need one of these ASAP!
    And Scoundrels are important, yes, but I don't think you should make them your primary focus ever. They should be a "side-farm." Only put the bear-minimum toward them--enough to win the stage of Heist that you've unlocked. Use what is leftover from your normal Phx farming, and if you focus on them at all, don't do it for more than a day or two.

I would say that your experience in Arena is fairly normal. I started farming them late myself, and I don't think it will be a problem in the future. No matter what squad you use, it's likely you will always see players with more GP than you, while others are equal or lower than you. Use the refresh in the upper left corner (NOT the one that costs crystals) liberally, and cherry-pick opponents that you feel you can beat. For me, I could beat most players that were 3-4K GP higher than me, but no Phx squads unless they were 4-5k below me. Then later on others got harder to beat, but NS still I can do to this day. So I would say stick with Phx, and they'll be good to you for quite a while. I would only make a change if you are falling or at a standstill in your shard, over an extended period. But I expect you will see some advancement before then, as you increase their GP. Now of course, everyone will have their own experience, because the opponents in each shard are different. I leveled off at about 200 in my Arena shard with Phx. I know someone else that only got to about 1000. It does vary some.

I actually know of a guild that might be good for you, if you are interested. If you post your ally code and make sure you aren't already in a guild, I'll see if I can get you in. They're very helpful, in advice and activities.
    Otherwise, I'd recommend posting here: https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/156690/players-looking-for-guilds-february-2018-read-rules-in-first-post-before-posting Follow the example in the first post, and say that you're a new player looking to learn and grow. You'll start getting invitations really quickly.

Hmm okay, I'll keep going with that plan then :D ( Farm PS to as high as possible :) )
    I already have Boba, Lando and STH unlocked, but I'll keep them benched and level 1 for now and focus on PS.

I also always seem to be falling without crystals / sim tickets. Is this normal? And can I do anything to help this?

Yes the guild would be very nice ! I have no experience with Guilds whatsoever though ( I was in one, but nothing seemed to happen so I left) so I don't know if that's a problem.

My Ally code is: 352-118-412

Thank you so much ( and everyone else ) for helping me this much. I really appreciate it !

• Options

Thank you so much for helping me out. You're right, I'll focus on farming PS to the highest I can :)

I already have Boba, Lando and STH unlocked, but I'll leave them benched and on level 1 for now.

The guild would be very nice! I have no experience in guilds though ( I was in one, but nothing seemed to happen so I left ) so I don't know if that's going to be a problem.
    My ally code is: 352-118-412

Again, thank you so much for helping me !

• Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    @Lupe

You will unlock ships soon (level 60). I would advice to start preparing by farming pilots — as a minimum by farming their hard nodes, where it doesn't conflict with purchases in various shops/shipments. Biggs and FOTP are must—haves. Boba Fett is great. I would farm their hard nodes every day disregarding what you choose to farm for squad arena. Jedi Consulor and Ahsoka are good — but not must—haves. Phoenix are goid as well, not must—haves fir the fleet arena, but they are required (along with other rebel ships) to unlock the best capital ship.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options

[...]

I already have Boba, Lando and STH unlocked, but I'll leave them benched and on level 1 for now.

[...]

Don't forget to have scoundrels to do the highest tier of credit heist available to you at all times.

• Options
    Waqui wrote: »
    @Lupe

You will unlock ships soon (level 60). I would advice to start preparing by farming pilots — as a minimum by farming their hard nodes, where it doesn't conflict with purchases in various shops/shipments. Biggs and FOTP are must—haves. Boba Fett is great. I would farm their hard nodes every day disregarding what you choose to farm for squad arena. Jedi Consulor and Ahsoka are good — but not must—haves. Phoenix are goid as well, not must—haves fir the fleet arena, but they are required (along with other rebel ships) to unlock the best capital ship.

Thanks for your reply ! I currently have Biggs and Boba unlocked. I can't farm FOTP yet.. Because I'm not at 6-B or 6-D yet.. Is that a problem?
    Jedi Consular I also have..
  • Options

Thank you so much for helping me out. You're right, I'll focus on farming PS to the highest I can :)

The guild would be very nice! I have no experience in guilds though ( I was in one, but nothing seemed to happen so I left ) so I don't know if that's going to be a problem.
    My ally code is: 352-118-412

Again, thank you so much for helping me !

Well you have a great start to a scoundrel squad with those three! I don't even have Lando yet. :p

Ok, if you receive an invite from Imperial Remnantt, that's the guild I hope you can get into. :)

You're very welcome!
  • Options
    I'd still level/farm shards for at least boba while working on phoenix. Boba/Lando/STH are great, but they're not going to win much at level 1.
    Ally Code 766-465-766 swgoh.gg/u/trystansr/collection/
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    Waqui wrote: »
    @Lupe

Thanks for your reply ! I currently have Biggs and Boba unlocked. I can't farm FOTP yet.. Because I'm not at 6-B or 6-D yet.. Is that a problem?
    Jedi Consular I also have..

You will be fine. Just keep him in mind when you unlock his nodes.

Good luck :—)
  • Options
    @Lupe ...to not overwhelm u..i will suggest only for arena
    Ur ps will help till lvl80 and hold ur rank in arena..so get them.
    Next u got a good sith team, they are very useful, only in later stages. Get savage, maul and nihilus as the other siths.
    Finally, end game to combat both sith and ps and rebel team (non cls) get rex and get him g.12 (note this is end game, where u get or are ready for cls and jtr).
    If u need any more advice, ping me.
    Ur set well fpr later arena. So dont worry.
    Concentrate on event toons (non marquee ones, unless u can spend lots of money to get marquee ones to 7*)
  • Ken0bii
    1 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    You should definitely focus on taking five Phoenix Squadron to 7*. They're needed for the Thrawn event, and since they have the rebels tag, they're great for the Emperor Palpatine event. They're pretty great in arena until around level 75 or so. You only need to stray away from Phoenix at that point depending on what everyone in your shard is running and the rank you want to maintain.

I'm speaking from experience. I started playing this game in December 2017 (2 months ago). I've been placing top 20 in arena since the first week and I just recently switched away from Phoenix. I'm now using an Empire squad (Palpatine - Vader - TIE Fighter Pilot - Royal Guard - Thrawn); which Phoenix helped me put together by being great fits for both Emperor Palpatine and Thrawn events.

If you do decide to stick with Phoenix, you can definitely maintain top 50 'til max level. On another note: they have great health/protection regeneration which makes them a safe choice for Galactic War completions.

TL;DR - Farm Phoenix Squadron. They're a great squad for new players and have many uses in this game.