A Sickening Realization about the Shard Shop

I was just thinking about it... we got the shard shop... what, a couple of weeks ago, if that? And at this point there's already an obtainable "exclusive" character? I assume they've determined that some people will already be able to botain the character from the start so the community will see it and analyze it.

Which means they assume a fair amount of people have hundreds if not thousands of 'extra' character shards.

Which anyone who hasn't unloaded on chromium packs, simply won't have. It's a complete Anti-F2P incentive, ridiculously expensive and ineffective as it is, on principle, they've shown the enormous power certain 'whales' have on different servers and just how phenomonally wide the 'gap' can be. It's sickening and disheartening to know, even now, some people have already gotten GG or are close because it means they have such a maxed out squad.... it's sickening thta we even have a Shard Shop with Exclusives within 3 months of a meta..

Replies

• J7000
    2059 posts Member
    Options
    To me the sickening thing isn the gap between f2p and p2p. It's the gap between whales and p2p. I'm not really complaining it more of a concern for the future of all f2p games.

Truth is if this really bothers you, you would probably be happier in subscription based models. They still exist and do pretty well.

Overall with this game they have given good balance between f2p and p2p. If you only focus on GG you are gonna be upset though. However I see no reason for anyone to think they should be able to 7* GG immediately besides the top whales.
  • Options
    I agree and I am P2P and actually agree on you, the discrepancy between P2P and Whales is more enormous then F2P and Whales. F2P are screwed but about as screwed as any other gane, but the P2P gap is wider then most
  • Lightwalker
    256 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    If they don't give an advantage to p2p players then there wouldn't be a game to play - considering they are the ones funding the game for f2p. If the game isnt making money they won't keep it going!

Every game in the world will give you an advantage if your p2p - otherwise there is no incentive for anyone to pay them for the product..And obviously the more you spend the greater the advantage is going to be.
    Post edited by Lightwalker on
  • Options
    DarthCyren wrote: »
    I was just thinking about it... we got the shard shop... what, a couple of weeks ago, if that? And at this point there's already an obtainable "exclusive" character? I assume they've determined that some people will already be able to botain the character from the start so the community will see it and analyze it.

Which means they assume a fair amount of people have hundreds if not thousands of 'extra' character shards.

Which anyone who hasn't unloaded on chromium packs, simply won't have. It's a complete Anti-F2P incentive, ridiculously expensive and ineffective as it is, on principle, they've shown the enormous power certain 'whales' have on different servers and just how phenomonally wide the 'gap' can be. It's sickening and disheartening to know, even now, some people have already gotten GG or are close because it means they have such a maxed out squad.... it's sickening thta we even have a Shard Shop with Exclusives within 3 months of a meta..
    J7000 wrote: »
    To me the sickening thing isn the gap between f2p and p2p. It's the gap between whales and p2p. I'm not really complaining it more of a concern for the future of all f2p games.

Truth is if this really bothers you, you would probably be happier in subscription based models. They still exist and do pretty well.

Overall with this game they have given good balance between f2p and p2p. If you only focus on GG you are gonna be upset though. However I see no reason for anyone to think they should be able to 7* GG immediately besides the top whales.
    I agree and I am P2P and actually agree on you, the discrepancy between P2P and Whales is more enormous then F2P and Whales. F2P are screwed but about as screwed as any other gane, but the P2P gap is wider then most

Let me make you more sick: A "whale" that has "only" spent $1000 or so is probably only able to 5* grievous, less than half of his total shards. Let that sink in.
  • Barrok
    1754 posts Member
    Options
    Aluxendr wrote: »

Let me make you more sick: A "whale" that has "only" spent $1000 or so is probably only able to 5* grievous, less than half of his total shards. Let that sink in.

Thats where I am. I will unlock the 5* in a couple days and then going to use farming to get the rest. But, while you don't think it's worth it, I don't use the shard shop for anything other than vadar shards, so I see no reason not to spend them.
  • Options
    Spending $60 on this game is just as good as spending 0$. You basically only get viable rewards for spending hundreds.
    | John Salera is my favorite Sith Lord |
  • Barrok
    1754 posts Member
    Options
    Spending $60 on this game is just as good as spending 0$. You basically only get viable rewards for spending hundreds.

$60 in chromium is as good as spending $0. But $60 spent on farming can give you quite an advantage.

• Options
    The Crystal subscription is actually quite viable (althought I must admit I do not use it as I have enough crystals from arena to refresh missions and cantina 2 times). I am basically F2P (spent 4.99 on the old crystal subscription when they had the promo).

And the gap is actually not that hughe. Are there chromium or hard to farm toons? BIG YES. Does it give them much of an advantage? Not so much. Why? Big fat brick wall called 5 toons in 1 arena squad, 7* and gear 8/9.

Having unlocked, leveled and geared 30 toons gives you more options. It is still possible to have a top 10 arena team without them though.

Phasma, Sid, GS, Poggle, Droids, Poe, QGJ, Dooku, Daka, Lumi to name some good farmable options.

Just my 2 cents (yay got 0.98$$$$ left!).
  • Options
    Let me make you more sick: A "whale" that has "only" spent $1000 or so is probably only able to 5* grievous, less than half of his total shards.
    I'm gonna fix that:
    " A "whale" that has "only" spent $1000 or so is probably only able to 5* grievous [on his launch]"

Spent money and extra shards do not increase linearly. You try to make it sound like they do.

For example, omeone who spends 500€ might have 20 GG shards, someone who spent 1000€ might have 80 shards and someone who spends 2000 might have 250. Because the more characters you have (the longer you play and/ or the more you pay), the more trash shards you receive.
    So that guy with 5 star grievous will need to pay A LOT less for his second 165 shards than he did for his first 165, when he still had few characters maxed. Once he achieves critical mass, he's gonna be opening chromiums with almost nothing but repeated shards.
  • VIII
    495 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    If you invented a game where you know that everyone loves Star Wars and that they would be willing to pay to keep playing this game to obtain one of their favourite characters , would you do it for free? Or probably make millions because you just unleashed one character, I'd probably charge more lol
  • Options
    Aluxendr wrote: »

Erm 3,000 here and i dont even have him unlocked lol......

Shame all my Liea shards are the same value as ewok hrrmmp lol.
  • Options
    If they don't give an advantage to p2p players then there wouldn't be a game to play - considering they are the ones funding the game for f2p. If the game isnt making money they won't keep it going!

Every game in the world will give you an advantage if your p2p - otherwise there is no incentive for anyone to pay them for the product..And obviously the more you spend the greater the advantage is going to be.

^ this. :smile:
    - HumbleSage
    "To me, there is no light or dark side to The Force. There's just the Force and I'll wield it how I see fit."
  • Options
    I can't believe they haven't given me a 7* Vader ....after all I play the game daily and have spent some money on it!!!!

So basically people are complaining because they aren't being given grievous instantly with arguments along the lines of - I've spent $1000 dollars on it and can only get him to 5* that sucks....maybe we should consider they are basically giving you a character at 5* for free on top of all of the energy, the extra rewards you gotten from arena refreshes and all the characters you have already gotten from spending that money.

Sorry but just getting tired of people **** about not being giving something instantly for free, if you don't like it then don't spend money or don't play the game!
  • Options
    Yarzahn wrote: »
    *snip*

Spent money and extra shards do not increase linearly. You try to make it sound like they do.

*snip*

So that guy with 5 star grievous will need to pay A LOT less for his second 165 shards than he did for his first 165, when he still had few characters maxed. Once he achieves critical mass, he's gonna be opening chromiums with almost nothing but repeated shards.

This is a good point, but it presumes the spend level will be the same. I am able to unlock a 5* GG only, but I know my spend level will go down due to the terrible exchange rate of excess shards. I suspect there are other mini-whales (Belugas, maybe :smile: ) who will cut their spending due to the decreasing value of additional dollars spent. That is, it's great to open Chromiums when you are unlocking or sharding up a new character, but once you get to a point where the entire pack becomes Shard Shop currency it becomes too expensive/too unrewarding.
  • Options
    oofalong wrote: »
    Yarzahn wrote: »
    *snip*

*snip*

This is a good point, but it presumes the spend level will be the same. I am able to unlock a 5* GG only, but I know my spend level will go down due to the terrible exchange rate of excess shards. I suspect there are other mini-whales (Belugas, maybe :smile: ) who will cut their spending due to the decreasing value of additional dollars spent. That is, it's great to open Chromiums when you are unlocking or sharding up a new character, but once you get to a point where the entire pack becomes Shard Shop currency it becomes too expensive/too unrewarding.

That's basically where I'm at. The shop has little value for me, as do all my shop points; I'm not gonna waste money opening boxes in the hopes of unlocking a 15:1 character. Maybe when there's another 10 or so characters I haven't unlocked, or that aren't farmable, I'll revisit my position. Til then, EA has lost me as a spender.
  • Options
    I have 27k shard shop coins and I am not going to spend in Griveous. I will continue to accumulate. If someday I reach the 74k required to 7 star Griveous and nothing more interesting is there, I buy him.
    Mestre Fábio - My YouTube Channel - My SwGOH profile - Brazilian player? Come to play with us, AAT heroic, contact me
  • Options
    I'm f2p I almost already have him. 20 shards away. I use all of my energy on farming characters I already have at 7 stars. Sid, lumi, fett, kylo, Just use all your energy farming characters you have at 7 stars it's way faster than the silly math everyone has been doing.
  • Calvin
    32 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    wrong chat
    Post edited by Calvin on
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    Why do whales spend so much money on this game?
    Drayden wrote: »
    Just my 2 cents (yay got 0.98$$$$ left!).
    It only costs a penny for your thoughts but you're throwing in your two cents. Some people just like to splurge.

Dangerous question to ask, senor.
  • Options
    Im finding that the shard shop is only good for Vader shards. I would almost farm GW tokens just so I have 300 shard shop tokens in case that day Vader shards were offered.
  • Options
    If this thread goes down the whale vs. F2P toilet bowl it's getting shut down - please keep it reasonable.

• Options
    If this thread goes down the whale vs. F2P toilet bowl it's getting shut down - please keep it reasonable.

^ second. Who cares anyhow? Spend lots of money or no money. Just enjoy the game!
    - HumbleSage
    "To me, there is no light or dark side to The Force. There's just the Force and I'll wield it how I see fit."
  • Options
    F2P personally speaking... Currently I'm sitting top 50 rank at 20k HP...been playing since early Dec...don't even have a 7* toon... Shard tard Shop is just that...jus keepn it 100 folks.
  • Options
    The development of this game is pretty unstable and amateurish so I'd advise you just play free until EA runs this into the ground, then you at least can walk away without feeling taken advantage of and stressed with no outlet for your frustration. Many will tell you it's no big deal if that happens or that it will never happen, I chose not to risk it from what I've seen...
  • Baldo
    2863 posts Member
    Options

Hundreds if you're lucky! If you spend hundreds you are bound to just pull a bunch of randoms that wont be usable especially the desired characters because you wont be able to make them viable via promoting them!!
  • Options
    Dangerous question to ask, senor.

Looks like I posted that in the wrong discussion.