Royal guard verdict

Prev13
So after facing off against my resident server whale who has been running RG, I have come to conclusion that RG is still terrible in Arena. The whale has ran RG with dps, Jinn, Rey, GS, Sid, leia, FOTP. RG failed to protect them and they died from AOE bomb. Whale was 4th and 3rd at payout respectively. Next he tried the heavy HP up method, used bariss lead and had dps GS, jinn, Aayla, and 5s (5s sucks). Again, RG did nothing to protect weak DPS and basically wastes a slot. Even with heals etc, DPS is so high in this game that to be a tank you would have to have 25k plus HP to survive more than 1 turn. Rey made RG her b itch. In short, RG is still shelved until maybe an empire squad emerges. Waiting for the in the defense of RG attacks "but he pwns GW!" Tuskens/ewoks work in GW. RG won't earn you crystals.

Replies

• Options
    AoE counters taunt what a shocker. RG is worth it from point of view. You should be winning every battle while attacking and if you can win 10% of the on defense it is a good strategy. Plus RG can reliably stun someone which is super useful, even more than his taunt.
  • Options
    Stun chance 85% close this :D
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    Yes, Royal Guard is useless in arena.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zppe_9zAnXE
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Options
    Qeltar wrote: »

Well that fight could be won without the RG as well.
  • Options
    AoE counters taunt what a shocker. RG is worth it from point of view. You should be winning every battle while attacking and if you can win 10% of the on defense it is a good strategy. Plus RG can reliably stun someone which is super useful, even more than his taunt.

Poe was a more useful, his turn meter removal would allow the dps to go before me if I lost the who poes first. RG simple doesn't do that and it guarantees my Poe will go before dps team and win.

Cherry pick all you want, team had lumi on it FFS. Game is still up to RNG, but when I see a RG I know I can win, if I see a Poe its up to who poes first.
    Stun chance 85% close this :D

i don't think he has been able to attack before he is dead, usually when he goes he does his buff and then next turn he is dead. Sure under human control we would stun a dps. Either way he is not the OP Poe was and kind of still is.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    Almost every fight can be won without one character or another. But it shows how enormously useful he can be. I can't wait to give mine a spin when I at least get him to 4*.
  • reizse
    1447 posts Member
    Options

difference between offense and defense is what matters i think. heroes can be better utilized when player controlled....but on defense, i don't think the ai knows which high priority targets rg should stun
    mighty chlorians
  • Options
    Almost every fight can be won without one character or another. But it shows how enormously useful he can be. I can't wait to give mine a spin when I at least get him to 4*.

I am glad he is useful now, I just wanted people to know not to use too many resources to get him up to be a contender in the arena like Poe was. Poe pre nerf was a must have to earn top pvp slots. RG is not the next Poe.
  • Options

I liked RG in this... But Rey isn't OP? Shiiiiiiiiiiiii
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    IMO the primary benefit of the RG is the automatic nature of the taunt. AI doesn't have to decide when to use it (or even whether to, sometimes the AI doesn't use Poe's taunt). It can happen instantly. If you try to finish off a DPS and get a dodge or whatever, you are hosed. This happened to me the other night trying to finish off Rey early in a fight.
    In fact I would love to try him on a high-evasion team.
  • Options
    That automatic taunt is money. I'm still in awe over the one shot kills of Rey. FML
  • Options
    DarthBalls wrote: »

Rey is why Tanks cant tank.
  • Options
    IMO the primary benefit of the RG is the automatic nature of the taunt. AI doesn't have to decide when to use it (or even whether to, sometimes the AI doesn't use Poe's taunt). It can happen instantly. If you try to finish off a DPS and get a dodge or whatever, you are hosed. This happened to me the other night trying to finish off Rey early in a fight.

RG will stop burst Single target DPS in its tracks, so AOE bombing renders him a wasted slot, Rey and jinn just can't cope.

• Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    Natok205 wrote: »
    RG will stop burst Single target DPS in its tracks, so AOE bombing renders him a wasted slot, Rey and jinn just can't cope.

And if you run AoE then you are easy pickings for some other team. shrug
  • Options

Really? I'm holding Rank 1 since they updateted him. Yeah you'r right pretty usless lol
  • Natok205
    156 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

And if you run AoE then you are easy pickings for some other team. shrug

Potentially, I like to use my last attack of the day with high single target DPS. I don't tend to drop in rank as much. Sometimes throw in a daka to try and thwart people from attacking me. The RNG with daka is a big unknown.
  • DefinitivePoeCounter
    287 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    If your Poe is going before DPS you're not facing 'meta' teams. All my characters go before a Poe.
  • Options

Yeah the passive taunt is the game changer. Doesn't use it till you need it and you don't have to use a turn for it. He still can stun on his next turn. He looks legit, but like anything it can be countered. QGJ assist first turn takes someone into the yellow, second turn removes the taunt and gets offense up if he's fast enough. I'm going to continue to try and star RG seems like a good asset.
  • Options

Really? I'm holding Rank 1 since they updateted him. Yeah you'r right pretty usless lol[/quote

So? my shard is a launch day shard with a very competitive top 20, anyone could take number 1. I know now that when I see an RG it's GG for that player. Poe dps teams are not a guarantee win like a RG team is.
  • EM650
    1120 posts Member
    Options

Well that fight could be won without the RG as well.

Indeed, that was not a tough team. High DPS against the like of Sids, Dooku, Kylo, and Lumi is not a challenge.
  • Options
    He is actually awesome in arena. He protects the squishy dps if they are not one shotted and give an opportunity for yoda to shine. AOE is definitely the solution by going pass him tho.
  • Options
    That vid could be better. Try that team facing a Sid or QGJ led squad, with Poe and GS and whoever else. It would be interesting to see how that went. Regardless, Rey at 7* is redic...I def started farming her but only halfway to 80 shards. My RG is 5* gear 7 once I have enough credits to bump him up. Gonna be working on him and Rey for a while...and GS just to be like everyone else...I hate that POS bug.
    Darth Saltious - Hoth Ski Patrol
  • Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    . RG is not the next Poe.

This.
    The only thing they share is taunt. And taunt was not what made Poe overPoewerful. It was the abillity to time walk at the fastest speed available.

Next Poe will be Jawa Engineer if he goes live as datamined. And he has no taunt.
  • Options
    hey that's my vid :smile:

i think RG is balanced and one of the top taunting tanks.

• Options
    RG is great. Especially on offense.

• Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

Yep, it is funny how a video to show how good RG is, showcases Rey freaking oneshiting the world with his nuclear powered staff

Rey will be the strongest offensive char in long term. Look at his foreseen stats. Fastest toon and most damaging toon, with a free dodge and multiattack. Scary
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    The top two megawhales on my shard are both running 7* RGs now, with the usual single-target DPS suspects. I cannot come even remotely close to beating either of them.
  • Phipps
    1107 posts Member
    Options
    @Qeltar
    What squad are you currently running in arena that can't beat them?
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Phipps wrote: »
    @Qeltar
    What squad are you currently running in arena that can't beat them?
    Doesn't matter, no squad of mine can beat them. Granted I am no whale and have only a few 7* and 6*, but these fights aren't even close.
    One is Jinn / RG / Daka / Rey / GS, all 7* except RG. Do you have any idea how annoying Daka is with RG? There is nothing I can throw at this team where I have a prayer of winning. 7* Rey has 10k. If you don't finish her off, you are toast. If you AoE, RG goes first and buffs everyone, and you are again toast.
    Second is almost the same but with Yoda instead of Daka. Haven't even tried him yet.
    Really I have no business even being in the top 5 on this shard, lol. I am sure I am only here because it's 90 minutes until reward time, but it's fun to play with the big boys even if it's when they aren't paying attention. :)
    I said at the time of the announcement that RG looked OP and got the usual "you don't know, blah calling for nerf before it even comes out" nonsense. Well, it is turning out pretty close to what I and a few others expected. It's not "Poe 143" bad, but it's pretty bad.
  • Barrok
    1754 posts Member
    Options
    On my server, those with RG are constantly falling and having to reclimb (myself included). I am on an older server with opponents who have really strong teams, so while RG is beatable, it might require a similarly strong team to do it.

Or maybe a change in strat? I wonder if attacking him first would work. Once he is under 50% he doesn't stun and if you attack him he doesn't gain turn meter or health.