A viable BH team in Arena ? Perhaps even more than viable.

Prev1
Teweedo
39 posts Member
edited May 2018
Hi folks,

What you need :
- 24 Power Mods, with Speed/Power on secondaries.
- Boba, Greedo, Bossk, IG88, Vador.

What you do :
- Make Boba leads
- Give the BHs all the power mods

What happens :
- Vador starts, debuff the opposite team.
- All the BH instantly gets 75 speed.
- Opposite team gets -25% speed.
- Bossk gets to taunt before the opposite team takes a turn.
- Boba gets to AE lock first.
- Greedo can dispell the tank.
- Vador can greatly damage the contrat target which can be finished off by the next BH to play.
- Contract fullfilled means your Bossk is now practically impossible to shot down (90k HP/ 80K protec that regenerate both 50% per BH turn) ***EDIT: The game has a translation mistakes in my language / Bossk remains very tanky Regenerating 50% HP when he taunts though.

Potential counters/problems :
- Zolo can shut down Vador before the start
- Another faster Vador can disrupt your play
- Thrawn lead will be hard to beat

Strong points :
- Your team has a lot of HP (60-90k)
- Your entire team gets really fast
- The contract is much easier to fullfil and makes Bossk a beast

Final thoughts :
From my point of view this makes the BH team quite viable, perhaps not meta but that can beat a lot of other teams with the right setup.

Obviously this team is not without flaws and it's possible that I am wrong since I don't have a good BH team yet (Have them all G9-11) to test out.

I am open to suggestions or feel free to tell me if I am mistaken somewhere.

Thanks for reading, this is mostly food for thoughts.
Post edited by Teweedo on

Replies

• Options
    Too bad h/p only regen 2.5% per bounty hunter turn and 5% on bossks turn..
  • Teweedo
    39 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

Wow they poorly worded that skill in my language. It literally reads Bossk regenerate 50% HP/Protection when another BH takes a turn. I had to check it in English and you are right.

Still Bossk is quite tanky with 90k HP and regenerating 50% of it when he taunts. Not as amazing as I first thought however.

• Options
    Teweedo wrote: »

Wow they poorly worded that skill in my language. It literally reads Bossk regenerate 50% HP/Protection when another BH takes a turn. I had to check it in English and you are right.

Still Bossk is quite tanky with 90k HP and regenerating 50% of it when he taunts. Not as amazing as I first thought however.

Yes the 50% heal when he taunts is nice, but that is a HUGE discrepancy, in translation error!
  • Teweedo
    39 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

Yes the 50% heal when he taunts is nice, but that is a HUGE discrepancy, in translation error!

Indeed, I am so disappointed haha.

https://imgur.com/j5WjYGO

When contract is completed : 50% regeneration when another BH takes a turn.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    His payout actually heals pretty well in practice. 15% a round after all BH go. Under his own lead I think he will be harder to kill than KRU as he dispels debuffs on himself in addition to healing on enemy debuff\resist.

Even at 3* he allowed me to complete the Rebel and Rolo event where my team could not come close before. At g8 3* he has 35k EHP and 180 speed.

Edit: And actually its Health AND Protection so its 30% EHP per round.
  • Teweedo
    39 posts Member
    Options
    VonZant wrote: »
    His payout actually heals pretty well in practice. 15% a round after all BH go. Under his own lead I think he will be harder to kill than KRU as he dispels debuffs on himself in addition to healing on enemy debuff\resist.

Even at 3* he allowed me to complete the Rebel and Rolo event where my team could not come close before. At g8 3* he has 35k EHP and 180 speed.

Edit: And actually its Health AND Protection so its 30% EHP per round.

Good points.

That's indeed still lot of HP/protec on top of his own taunt regeneration.
  • Teweedo
    39 posts Member
    Options

Yes, this is so weird.

Here's the picture :

https://imgur.com/a/Cfgv1rr

It says

Completed contract : 50% regeneration when another BH takes a turn.
  • Shaunyvee
    916 posts Member
    Options
    I've found him to rarely be taunting though.

Experience limited to the contract event, could be due to the death trooper dispel
  • Teweedo
    39 posts Member
    Options
    Shaunyvee wrote: »
    I've found him to rarely be taunting though.

Experience limited to the contract event, could be due to the death trooper dispel

My low geared Bossk sits at 195 speed with poor mods, with Boba lead it goes at 270 speed when all enemies are debuffed, on top of that Frenzy will give him tons of extra turns for taunting and using his ability.

It's a lot of opportunities to maintain taunts especially since he cleanse himself when doing so.

I am not doing arenas with BH yet but on others modes it's pretty good so far.
  • SeanutB
    482 posts Member
    Options
    Cool idea, I'd like to find a way where they'd be useful. Seems a full bounty hunter squad is lacking so I may be best to sub guys out for someone who could fill their gaps
  • Vice_torn
    599 posts Member
    Options
    Vader will not have uber speed (to insure moving early) if he is the only sith/empire toon.

MY assessment of BH in arena is that they might work on offense. But unless the AI prioritizes the contract actions, the AI will not complete the contract till the fight is basically over. (I.E. any fight where the AI completes the contract, it would have won without the contract).

Boba's leadership zeta is pretty good, if you have all bounty hunters with full potency.
  • Options
    I did see a bounty hunter/Zolo combo that held it's own on offense so there's that lol
  • Creepioo
    598 posts Member
    Options
    Yeah someone else mentioned but Vader doesnt have sith/empire ally so he won't be that fast think that would throw a wrench in things
  • Teweedo
    39 posts Member
    Options
    Creepioo wrote: »
    Yeah someone else mentioned but Vader doesnt have sith/empire ally so he won't be that fast think that would throw a wrench in things

Yeah he would definitely not be as fast as in a sith team but he also gain speed from enemies too so with the current state of the game featuring many siths, rebels and some empire/jedi (mostly kenobi there) he'd still get a good speed boost.

If he is fast enough from his mods that can certainly make him start against a lot of teams.
  • Huatimus
    3669 posts Member
    Options
    Vader doesn’t gain speed from enemy Empire/Sith.
  • XKurareX
    478 posts Member
    Options
    Your Vader has no extra speed - enemy Vader will be faster and all your lineup is gone. Thrawn will fracture your Bossk and thats the end.

By itself IG88 harmonizes well with Mother Talzin - pretty decent combination actually.
    +KRU (162 speed - vader got 121+4*8+emperor 8 = 161) - outrun him and stun
    +Phasma (151 speed with kru, just need to outrun now oppsite Vader) -> your team will be now first
    +Nihilus
    +IG88
    +Mother

Dot up, IG88 blocks heal, nihilus increases cooldowns

After that its about finishing them
  • Huatimus
    3669 posts Member
    Options
    XKurareX wrote: »
    Your Vader has no extra speed - enemy Vader will be faster and all your lineup is gone. Thrawn will fracture your Bossk and thats the end.

By itself IG88 harmonizes well with Mother Talzin - pretty decent combination actually.
    +Phasma (151 speed with kru, just need to outrun now oppsite Vader) -> your team will be now first
    +Nihilus
    +IG88
    +Mother

Vader counts himself too so Vader Speed is 121+56=177. Given similar mods, KRU is not going to outspeed Vader.
  • Platzman
    284 posts Member
    Options
    Enemy sion + Nihillus means that if you debuff the first, nihillus gains tm and increases your cd. And current meta is full of this duo. Traya also makes an appearance moe and more.
    NS, JTR will outspeed you.
    Zolo can shut you down.
    IMO "viable"has a different meaning. BH are about as viable as murderbears - sure they can win some teams on offense, but not all.
  • XKurareX
    478 posts Member
    Options
    @Huatimus
    If thats the case - the in-game description of Vader's unique is incorrect. Written as each empire or sith ally gives a tempo boost. Which certainly is not you by your own. Need to send a bug report if you are 100% sure about this.
  • Huatimus
    3669 posts Member
    Options
    @XKurareX
    Sorry but you are mistaken. It is 100% correct and working as intended. It has been clarified by Devs too.
    Each Ally counts every Squad Member including the one with the ability.
    Other Ally counts every other Squad Member excluding the one with the ability.
    So for example Wedge gains 45 speed, not 36 speed.
  • XKurareX
    478 posts Member
    Options
    @Huatimus
    Thanks for clarification!

However it should be respelled as every member of the group - or another way. Its not like that my right/left hand are my own friends/allies - even if they are helpful (black humour).
  • Huatimus
    3669 posts Member
    Options
    Think of it as all 5 squad members are Your Allies.
    At least there is consistency in the wording so far, I really wouldn’t bother to redefine it in a different way unless it is inconsistent.
  • Teweedo
    39 posts Member
    Options
    Platzman wrote: »
    Enemy sion + Nihillus means that if you debuff the first, nihillus gains tm and increases your cd. And current meta is full of this duo. Traya also makes an appearance moe and more.
    NS, JTR will outspeed you.
    Zolo can shut you down.
    IMO "viable"has a different meaning. BH are about as viable as murderbears - sure they can win some teams on offense, but not all.

You make some good points. By Viable I mean they can be used fairly properly and wins the right match ups but they may not beat the meta indeed.

How would NS outspeed this though? The BH team only seem to struggle against teams that gains TM when debuffed as far as I can tell.

I can't speak about Traya though there isn't any in my shard.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    zzqj6s3fnogz.png

This is your biggest issue with that team. you wont go first often enough in the current "meta".

One big thing that drives the meta is how well it does on defense and this team will get rocked on defense by almost half of the teams "out there" (according to swgoh.gg)
  • XKurareX
    478 posts Member
    Options
    There are some pretty decent videos about the bounty hunters in arena. So not only in theory they arent good, but in practical way as well. You can win and certainly will but you will be first target by a huge amount of teams. Resulting in a drop (basically every team can be beaten). The best weapon is to look like a very nasty target - difficult to beat, with some rng needed to their favour. Thats enough to make them skip you mostly :smiley:
    And this results in being in top 20, after you left 24h ago - which is sweet when you just need to do 2 (daily minimum) till 3 matches + 1 to block your reward those last 5 mins :pensive:
  • Teweedo
    39 posts Member
    Options

+Nihilus
    +IG88
    +Mother

Yes that is something I acknowledged in my opening post, another Vador will outrun him though I was mistaken only sith/empire allies count, not enemies thanks for correcting me. Vador will only gain 16 speed from himself if anything and will be mostly efficient against jedi/rebels.

That really put a strikes to my thinking.

Good point about Talzin. I'd like to see Probe/Talzin/IG88 in the same team.

Well at this point this is no longer a BH team, I'm going to have to find a better way to make them work.

Someone mentionned Zolo which I can see working fairly well but then a Zolo in any team garanties the starting round except against others Zolo anyway, I'd like to see some alternatives to it.
  • Teweedo
    39 posts Member
    Options
    There are some pretty decent videos about the bounty hunters in arena. So not only in theory they arent good, but in practical way as well. You can win and certainly will but you will be first target by a huge amount of teams. Resulting in a drop (basically every team can be beaten). The best weapon is to look like a very nasty target - difficult to beat, with some rng needed to their favour. Thats enough to make them skip you mostly :smiley:
    And this results in being in top 20, after you left 24h ago - which is sweet when you just need to do 2 (daily minimum) till 3 matches + 1 to block your reward those last 5 mins :pensive:

Well before the Palpatine/Vador rework I was hitting the top 5-20 spot with a Palpatine/Empire squad despite everyone saying they were terrible and CLS/JTR were rocking the top 50 (they were much stronger before the rework in fact).

So just because lots of people fails to use the BHs right now doesn't mean there isn't a way to make them work with a bit of creativity.

I hear your argument and it is a sound one, I am just trying to see if we can explore options and find a way.
  • Teweedo
    39 posts Member
    Options
    Kyno wrote: »
    zzqj6s3fnogz.png

This is your biggest issue with that team. you wont go first often enough in the current "meta".

One big thing that drives the meta is how well it does on defense and this team will get rocked on defense by almost half of the teams "out there" (according to swgoh.gg)

Thanks for that chart!

Ironically my current team does extremely well against the meta especially because the Zalp/Vador teams IA reacts so bad.

But yeah we need a way to apply an AOE debuff first for the BHs to beat consistently the meta.

Not sure if I can find something else right now.
  • Dryff
    672 posts Member
    Options
    Zam Wesell is extremely fast, and you could probably get up to about 270 speed with good speed mods (up to 285 with GREAT mods) which should outspeed most Vaders. She has two abilities that give AoE debuffs.

However, this increases speed, not turn meter. So even if you are able to land the DoTs it's likely that Vader goes next, lands his DoTs, throws the saber, then the entire enemy team goes (even with your improved speed). This is all assuming you don't have an enemy Sion that allows Nihilus to go as well as someone else mentioned...

You may actually be better off running GK in the fifth slot and just trying to tank your way through the fight until Boba can land some nasty Executes.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Kyno wrote: »
    zzqj6s3fnogz.png

Thanks for that chart!

Ironically my current team does extremely well against the meta especially because the Zalp/Vador teams IA reacts so bad.

But yeah we need a way to apply an AOE debuff first for the BHs to beat consistently the meta.

Not sure if I can find something else right now.

Yeah, they would be a good secondary team to have floating around, as that team could counter some others fairly well, but you also have to be careful of JTR and R2, and the times you dont AB rex.... so they will have a not so great win ratio even on offense, so yeah....