Should Darth Mauls health be at least doubled? Especially due to the new QGJ led speed meta?

Prev1
Bryan1986
529 posts Member
edited February 2016
Darth Maul is P2P only and he is one of the worst characters available as far as speed and health!!!!
FTB

Should Darth Mauls health be at least doubled? Especially due to the new QGJ led speed meta? 167 votes

Yes
37%
JJHDaeghaacosmicturtle333RumbaJaegerAdamWxJazzxichotolotCharlesbusamccif16BLuby25Plague_IncBNCSJohnboy1972PerongeluknysiCalus_78HendijudeathstalkerMachina 62 votes
No
54%
ZarAziDinoHyperalloyTop_QuarkQeltarTelaanSkitskalleSw_HomeAbyssCazaanTagichatnArillianHbk146hotdogreenDeathSSlayerslmcmrShanksstupidfatfoolRogerfanRogan_Ban84 91 votes
6%
dogwelder79ZtyleDarthTRexusEricsonXHorse_CosbyJuan123DarkWingGleeDeadHeadAndyJensxndroidboyzBegin11 11 votes
Bryan rocks.
1%
CheesyPastaiamabitkhSpaceCowboy 3 votes

Replies

• Options
    Yes
    Tough call between the first and last option, but I had to go with the first one. Sorry.
  • Options
    Yes
    Plague_Inc wrote: »
    Tough call between the first and last option, but I had to go with the first one. Sorry.

Hahaha. I hear ya bro. Darth maul is 7* in my list and is the last character I use!!!
    FTB
  • Options
    Wow.. You did not vote "Bryan Rocks" for yourself. :o
  • VIII
    495 posts Member
    Options
    Yes
    Rather have a speed buff or a sith leader ability with speed buff , at least that would help, cuz right now don't really find sith leader abilities any good
  • M9silent
    821 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    No
    I don't want to say double his health, but a buff to it couldn't hurt. Maybe if they gave him both a health buff and a speed buff, he'd go from bad to acceptable. I don't think every hero should be great in every game mode. Maybe Maul isn't good for PvP, but does well in GW with all the Jedi healers running rampant. Buff up his health and speed some, and I'd say he'd be good. Already does double damage to Jedi. And goes again after a kill. Pretty solid kit.

Edit: I own a 6* Maul myself and use him on my GW B/C team.
  • Options
    No
    No, doubling his health doesn't match his kit in my opinion. A small boost of about 20% would be reasonable, putting him at the level of about 10.8k. More importantly, his speed needs to be adjusted (along with Ahsoka and Asajj). With the amount of turn meter manipulation, CC, etc, quite a few characters will see 2-3 turns before he gets one.
  • Options
    Considering the fact that he is in the movie for a total of 5 minutes before he dies, I'd say no.
  • Options
    He needs a speed buff and a health buff. Along with Lando because all the scoundrels are way too slow. 7 speed added isn't much.
  • Options
    depends...

with alot of peeps slapping QGJ as Lead...for that speed shot in the arm for the whole squad... I really think that unbalance of players using QGJ, will cause a huge domino affect as this circus jumps around...I don't use Maul at all, hence my **** stance...cheers
  • Options
    Yes
    M9silent wrote: »
    I don't want to say double his health, but a buff to it couldn't hurt. Maybe if they gave him both a health buff and a speed buff, he'd go from bad to acceptable. I don't think every hero should be great in every game mode. Maybe Maul isn't good for PvP, but does well in GW with all the Jedi healers running rampant. Buff up his health and speed some, and I'd say he'd be good. Already does double damage to Jedi. And goes again after a kill. Pretty solid kit.

Edit: I own a 6* Maul myself and use him on my GW B/C team.

Yeah man. Double is extreme. But his low health is extreme right now....at least double what it is now would take 2 good hits to take him down. Lol
    FTB
  • Options
    Kyuu2 wrote: »
    No, doubling his health doesn't match his kit in my opinion. A small boost of about 20% would be reasonable, putting him at the level of about 10.8k. More importantly, his speed needs to be adjusted (along with Ahsoka and Asajj). With the amount of turn meter manipulation, CC, etc, quite a few characters will see 2-3 turns before he gets one.

agreed.
    Bryan1986 wrote: »
    Yeah man. Double is extreme. But his low health is extreme right now....at least double what it is now would take 2 good hits to take him down. Lol

ah so...yeah
  • xJazzx
    808 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Yes
    another thing they can do is to buff his evasion.
  • Options
    nope. than he would be op. no way hon
  • Options
    No
    No
    | John Salera is my favorite Sith Lord |
  • Options
    Yes
    Yes! Maul deserves better stats! Why he so slow? He was a **** fast acrobatic warrior, who easily killed QGJ.. So he need like 30% hp buff, and his speed must be near at Dooku or Sidious.
  • Coolhand_Luke
    217 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Yes
    Yeah he should be better he should really be on par with top tier guys. I HATE the prequels but I think that he was a cool looking character and they could have done so much with him. Discussed his motivation and stuff. Instead he had like two lines and a light saber duel. He is an expensive character who really should be one of the better toons in the game instead he is pretty awful mine gets killed by AI most of the time before ever getting an attack off. I pretty much don't ever use him. Not sure doubling health would be answer I say...make him dodge more, foresight, evade, boost ho like 50% probably. But no way he should be squishest character in the game like he is. He's not even a glass cannon might as well be tissue paper.
  • Options
    No
    BNCS wrote: »
    Yes! Maul deserves better stats! Why he so slow? He was a **** fast acrobatic warrior, who easily killed QGJ.. So he need like 30% hp buff, and his speed must be near at Dooku or Sidious.

Lmao. A toon with close to 12k hp that has the ability to insta gib an entire squad before 95% of the available toons can even move? No.

Maul is fine for what he can currently do. Any more hp or any meaningful speed boost would require a serious toning down of his damage potential.
  • Options
    No
    Maul is fine. People just keep sticking him in teams that don't defend him long enough for him to pop. Usually Maul only needs to go once to change the entire battle. He's the king of burst damage.
  • Options
    No
    No, he doesn't need more health; he needs more speed. He's a glass cannon, they aren't meant to have tank health. They are meant to be quick enough to realistically get a hit in, however. Compare his speed to the other cannons like Leia, any of the pilots, Rey.

It's pretty obvious what's wrong.
  • Options
    Telaan wrote: »
    BNCS wrote: »

Lmao. A toon with close to 12k hp that has the ability to insta gib an entire squad before 95% of the available toons can even move? No.

Maul is fine for what he can currently do. Any more hp or any meaningful speed boost would require a serious toning down of his damage potential.

Pretty much sum it up.

• Options
    No
    Especially with the GQJ meta, Maul should stay unchanged, not to say nerfed. If the GQJ manage to pull an assist with Maul, it's game over. Maul will one shot someone (especially jedi) and get 100% turn meter for Aoe.
    Here is a Darth Maul video i found : https://vid.me/dVBz
    Now immagine if GQJ was leader and he opened withthat Maul assist. It would start the battle as 3v5. And we would have the same old Poe problem and whine threads alover again.
    Or if enemy team had 2-3 jedi. The battle would have finished only with those GQJ and Maul attacks. No other hero would have chance to attack. Or if Sid/Boba is leader so Maul can Aoe wipe enemy team. Or if Maul team has Daka for stun/revive. Or GS for another assist. Or Phasma/Poe/Han for turn meter / advantage. Or Dooku to stun enemy GQJ + 1 more probably. Or Royal Guard to taunt before Maul dies.

I'm glad so many people don't know how to play Maul or we would have "nerf Maul" threads allover.
  • Options
    He needs tweaking.. The problem comes from the fact once he gets going he's neigh unstoppable.. and that is the crutch of the matter "Once he gets going"... which can be difficult to achieve.. especially as the AI now tends to focus fire weaker health characters.

So in that sense he's difficult to balance.. even if you give him 50% more health instead of double... he becomes a bit of nightmare for any team to fight not just Jedi. It's primarily due to the fact he will be able to heal himself and attack non-stop...

In order to use him you really need someone like Poe or Stormtrooper han to protect him and/or speed up his turn meter gains.

Another thing is the game doesn't really have any dedicated "speed up" buffers (at least I don't think there is). Poggle only speeds up droids. Once a character like this is added.. this can suddenly make Maul a bit more viable.
    Former crazy person of the guild "Shard Awakens"... *quit game 13th July 2016*

Game used to be fun when it wasn't a grind... if I wanted a grind I would have went and played old school Everquest or some Korean MMO!
  • Options
    No
    Skye wrote: »
    He needs tweaking.. The problem comes from the fact once he gets going he's neigh unstoppable.. and that is the crutch of the matter "Once he gets going"... which can be difficult to achieve.. especially as the AI now tends to focus fire weaker health characters.

So in that sense he's difficult to balance.. even if you give him 50% more health instead of double... he becomes a bit of nightmare for any team to fight not just Jedi. It's primarily due to the fact he will be able to heal himself and attack non-stop...

In order to use him you really need someone like Poe or Stormtrooper han to protect him and/or speed up his turn meter gains.

Another thing is the game doesn't really have any dedicated "speed up" buffers (at least I don't think there is). Poggle only speeds up droids. Once a character like this is added.. this can suddenly make Maul a bit more viable.

By tweaking, i guess you mean lower his damage and increase his speed or health.
    We already have heroes like that, ig88, sidious. Why you need 1 more copy? Maul is unique like that.
  • Options
    No. Provided Maul is non-farmable, it is not at all relevant. Very few people have Maul, and it would only be a problem if he was strong. As such, only farmable characters must be considered candidates for buffs, so that the majority of player base benefits
  • Options
    No
    No. In keeping with the canon and all. Maul was powerful, fast and a heck of a fighter, but in the end all it took was a lucky slash to his belly to take him out. And that's how he is in the game. He can mess your team up pretty badly if left unattended, but focus your attention on him and he's going down. Changing that would be a mistake. Want to keep Maul alive - get a tank.
  • Options
    Considering the fact that he is in the movie for a total of 5 minutes before he dies, I'd say no.

Maul didn't die... Plus he was in the movie long enough to kill QGJ and almost kill obi.
  • Options
    CPMP wrote: »

By tweaking, i guess you mean lower his damage and increase his speed or health.
    We already have heroes like that, ig88, sidious. Why you need 1 more copy? Maul is unique like that.

I don't imply anything about his damage or health, which I think is fine where it is... even his mechanics is fine... but his speed is what needs to be looked at.. but because of the way he works.. even giving him 10 points of speed increase could very easily unbalance him to the point of being too OP.. So that is the part I expect some tweaking... but ot what extent I really dunno... cause looking at it... a minor change to him can upset how powerful he could become...

Then there is also the fact he is chromium only at the moment, so until he is added to a farmable status I really don't expect him to be change much.. else people are going to start scream "pay to win" again!

However in his current state... with the way speed works now... he's just canon fodder right now whenever I see him. Even if IG-88 is next to him as well..
    Former crazy person of the guild "Shard Awakens"... *quit game 13th July 2016*

Game used to be fun when it wasn't a grind... if I wanted a grind I would have went and played old school Everquest or some Korean MMO!
  • Options
    No
    CPMP wrote: »

I don't imply anything about his damage or health, which I think is fine where it is... even his mechanics is fine... but his speed is what needs to be looked at.. but because of the way he works.. even giving him 10 points of speed increase could very easily unbalance him to the point of being too OP.. So that is the part I expect some tweaking... but ot what extent I really dunno... cause looking at it... a minor change to him can upset how powerful he could become...

Then there is also the fact he is chromium only at the moment, so until he is added to a farmable status I really don't expect him to be change much.. else people are going to start scream "pay to win" again!

However in his current state... with the way speed works now... he's just canon fodder right now whenever I see him. Even if IG-88 is next to him as well..

What if enemy has QGJ (Almost everyone has) and pull an assist with Maul and 1 shot one of your chars? Your QGJ maybe or some other low hp. Then Maul gets 100% meter + offense buff. If he aoes, you start with 4v5 and half hp team at best. Unless you have 2 jedi. Then make that 3 vs 5 instead. I met multiple Maul in arena but most had him in Sid, Lumi, JC teams....Seriously?
    If some QGJ/ GS / Phasma assists can get Maul rolling, he is a wrecking ball.
    Ventress has lower speed, much lower damage and a stupid AI that when her turn comes (if ever comes) she always use self heal. Characters that ignored and killed last needs buffs, not the ones that must get focused 1st because they ll wreck you if they don't.
  • Nonemo
    1656 posts Member
    Options
    No
    I posted this in the other two Maul threads too. Sorry about the spamming, but I seriously think this topic needs some hard examples of Maul's destructive power so that everybody involved can gauge it for themselves.

https://youtu.be/DaCgYeyvQGY
  • Dino
    23 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    No
    Nonemo wrote: »
    I posted this in the other two Maul threads too. Sorry about the spamming, but I seriously think this topic needs some hard examples of Maul's destructive power so that everybody involved can gauge it for themselves.

https://youtu.be/DaCgYeyvQGY

Where in the video do you see him being destructive? Sorry, you show an extreme example of Maul's utility: Defeating Jedis when he gets the chance to. Maul was called on a QGJ assist (75% more damage) on top of the hit being a crit (50% more damage) against a Jedi (100% more damage). If you take that out, his normal damage (against Jedis) would be 5.5k. ~2.7k damage against normal units. In which case is that a destructive power considering his health of barely 9k when maxed and being one of the three slowest toons (dunno in which order).

GS shares the same "type" of hero with Maul. Raw damage outputter. No debuffs, no additional support. Just. damage. Keeping that in mind GS is able to produce up to 18k damage (extreme here like you showed with Maul) and a damage of at least 8k relatively early in a battle. And that damage is not variable based on opponent - just on own damage, assist and crit.

If you want to make a point, don't use a biased example and statistics like politicians.

Now to provide my own stance on it. Yes, Maul needs a buff but definitely not twice as much health as he is now. He is just not usable in arena or current meta. He is good and fun to use in PvE however. What he would need for him to work in Arena is (his) evade/dodge working (based on numbers, he'd have more than 50% evade if completely buffed but despite that he evades far less than Sid/Lumi) and slightly more health (10-11.5k) with decent speed (110-120) or just much more speed (135-145) with no health increase.