Ships 2.0 Update - 6/7/18 [MEGA]

Replies

• Options
    kmilky wrote: »
    CG_Carrie wrote: »
    We also want to see how behavior changes after the release of the table, and once people can upgrade more ships - the likelihood that the meta will start to shift. Ultimately, we want to see a lively and interesting daily ship meta. If we don't see interesting play developing, we will re-evaluate.
    -Carrie

@CG_Carrie I'm curious if your team has any additional feedback?

They don’t, and they never will
  • benjammin
    50 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    -- tl;dr --
    • Ship Omegas are tremendously important to stay competitive at all in ships
    • In particular for attackers, ship omega abilities normally provide an additional +45% damage. So, lack of access to omegas makes many of these ships only able to perform at around half of their potential
    • Anyone focusing on non-Tarkin fleets have been put at a disadvantage by not being able to farm the materials as easily until they level Tarkin & co. up enough to beat the fight
    • Leveling up Tarkin & co. is a very time-consuming process primarily due to a limited availability of fleet credits.
    • This has resulted in a very frustrating player experience for a non-Tarkin user that now is having to change gears and farm Tarkin & co. for any chance of staying relevant in fleet arena.
    -- --

@CG_Kozispoon @CG_Carrie @CG_TopHat
    I don't know who else to tag - Why is no one talking about Fleet Omegas?
    Ships 2.0 effectively slapped a -50% damage penalty on every ship, and you gave the keys to removing that penalty (omega mats) to 1 fleet commander out of the gate. Oh, and it just so happens it was the most widely used fleet commander in the game... If you look at the breakdown, pretty much every ship gains +45% damage combined from level 1-6, then level 7 & 8 (omega level) gives another +45% combined damage on at least 1 ability. So, my ships that used to be pretty good now do 50% less damage, and I was given a minimum 1-2 month farm to build up to a fleet that's capable of beating the event that unlocks the materials challenge. All the while, the most popular fleet commander in the game was given access to farming them pretty much out of the gate. I don't believe this would be as big of an issue if it wasn't such a painstakingly long process to level and upgrade ships, but we all know it is. Fleet credits are super hard to come by, ships come in stacks of 4 shards instead of 5, most have some degree of randomness as to how often you can draw them, and oh yeah you also have to level and unlock the pilot... Zetas I'm a little more understanding of because they are really an ultra-premium material. Only certain chars can utilize them, and they are very unique in nature as far as what they provide to the character they're used on. Having restricted access to farming them makes sense to me for the most part. But fleet omegas are used by every single ship, and every single ship is pretty much at 50% effectiveness until unlocking the omega levels of their abilities. In my book, that pretty much makes them a requirement to have to be able to compete. If you make 3 teams fight each other with nerf guns, but then give one of the teams real weapons and tell the rest sorry your only way to get the real weapon is join this team, whose team do you think everyone is going to end up on? It is just very frustrating to be on the unlucky side of this massive change... An update that was intended to "diversify fleets" gave a huge competitive advantage to the already most popular fleet commander and ships. Who is going to even think twice about farming someone other than Tarkin or Ackbar out of the gate now? Tarkin provides access to zetas and fleet omega mats, Ackbar provides access to Thrawn's ship and fleet credits (the biggest limiter in leveling ships), Mace provides access to training droids.... Those things we have a surplus of because nobody in the game has enough credits to upgrade faster than they can earn them.... Rant over, I just would love to hear the rationale about how this change was meant to diversify things?
    Post edited by benjammin on
  • TVF
    36603 posts Member
    Options
    Constructive criticism, try breaking your post up into some paragraphs. Text walls are difficult to read and many people (including myself) just skip over them instead.

I'm fine with the omega situation because we're all in the same boat (ship), except whales, but that's the case for every part of the game.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    Very fair criticism
  • HK22
    645 posts Member
    Options
    I understand your point and believe there are some simple solutions to the problem.

1. Add ship credits to the Credit Heist event.
    2. Add ship omegas, capital ship, and reinforcement materials to existing Omega Events
    3. Make a ship omega event which rewards 2 fleet omegas, capital ship, and reinforcement materials.

Yes, I know that these will probably not be implemented, but that are simple easy solutions to this problem.
  • Options
    So I take it you focused on endurance? Consider yourself lucky. I’m convinced I need to go republic just to beat 5-e in the **** ship battles
  • Options
    As a person who has finished in the top 5 in fleet arena for the last 14 months using Home One, there is nothing but time involved in making a good team. If they give you more materials for free, it would also mean your opponents would be upgrading just as fast. My suggestion is push yourself, max out your prestige for your Capitol ship by purchasing it in the Arena Store. Buy fleet currency in the Cantina Store, etc... If you just do the minimum you'll be stuck with everyone else who is doing the same. The only way I stayed ahead was to spend other resources outside of the fleet store. Also push yourself up to the top 5 if you're in the top 50, 300+ crystals is definitely nice, but the bigger thing is you'll get 400 more fleet tokens than if you finished 20-50th which is an extra 4 ship shards a day.

With everyone upset about how much they spent on mods prior to the reduced cost; they would do the same if they shortened the time it takes to upgrade ships.

• Dblade21
    168 posts Member
    Options
    As one that finished every single fleet mission with mace, it's about synergy, synergy and more synergy. Did I use the same squads to get through? No. I had to modify them to bed some of the nodes. But I never strayed from mace. All the nodes are beatable by any fleet commander, just have to have the right mix of ships to survive
  • Options
    Dblade21 wrote: »
    As one that finished every single fleet mission with mace, it's about synergy, synergy and more synergy. Did I use the same squads to get through? No. I had to modify them to bed some of the nodes. But I never strayed from mace. All the nodes are beatable by any fleet commander, just have to have the right mix of ships to survive

Curious - what were some of your strategies / fleet layouts?
  • Ruprecht
    112 posts Member
    Options
    TVF wrote: »
    Constructive criticism, try breaking your post up into some paragraphs. Text walls are difficult to read and many people (including myself) just skip over them instead.

Yeah sorry, use paragraphs.
    Unfortunately I skip those text walls, too.

• Options
    Dude, ships 2.0 is my favorite. I’m top 5 in fleet arena all the time. Basically here’s what you should do... get Thrawn up to 7*. Get Mace up to 7*. Get Ackbar (my favorite Capital Ship) up to 7* & Tarkin up to 7*.

Focus on Ackbar as your main commander but get each one up to at least gear 8. You’ll have early access to all the ship challenges in no time. And 4 seven star ships. I bet I unlocked all the challenges first in my shard & now just sim it. It’s worth it.

Oh yeah and Omegas are very scarce in the game even with challenges unlocked. Don’t waste them! Only put em on you’re long term fleeet team. I’ve made that mistake..
  • Caljr
    162 posts Member
    Options
    Tryed Genosians today, all XII, Sun Fac with 3 equipments XII, GSoldier 2 and all with ships unique maxed, Tarkin with 2 Zetas and 3 equipaments XII, i lost in 18 seconds to another genosians with Tarkin, why that super gap when some players with less equipaments XII do more than duble damage and receive less?
  • Caljr
    162 posts Member
    Options
    Another fight, another loss when my Sun d
    Fac was killed like papel, but enemy Sun Fac with more than half of protection? Why one Sun Fac with 3 equipments XII is slaugthered by other genosians, and they receive very low damage?
  • Dblade21
    168 posts Member
    Options
    benjammin wrote: »
    Dblade21 wrote: »

Curious - what were some of your strategies / fleet layouts?

For the battles against tarkin and all the ties (the 5 hards, and some of the regular 5s), I put 5s, biggs, and rex in to start, then brought vader in first to start knocking them out. Have clone sarge as a reinforcement too, to help keep vader alive
  • Options
    Biggest problem I have with ships 2.0 is by going 3v3 it magnifies the early RNG. Not necessarily just talking about TL but even dodge/crit/resist can make a huge difference if it really swings one way or the other. When it was 5v5 you had more of a chance to come back when the RNG went against you. You can still survive and win the day with 2.0, but it's much tougher.

Also no room for fun utility or niche ships like with 1.0.
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    NicWester wrote: »
    Geos are working at low gear from what gear.

I’m maxing out Thrawn and rest of the empire and tie abilities.

I really like them with Ackbar. You usually win before any ults go off anyway, and his AoE will give you a second triple attack in addition to the Spy’s.

I picked the wrong fleet commander to fan boy over lol. I want to balance it out a bit and maybe build up akbar after. I heard geos work ok with him too.

I'm in an incredibly active and competitive arena shard, there is no shard chat (yay) (we are approaching 400k gp ships)
    And I gotta say, there is one guy with Ackbar at the top, the rest are all still executrix (Chimera is coming soon I can tell, just people gotta wait for the prestige since we've all invested a lot into our current ones).

And yeah, It can be quite touch and go against the Ackbar guy (His starting lineup is a biggs/ghost/phantom) I actually prefer fighting the Main Tarkin fleet who stays in top place most of the day then fight the Ackbar ship player.

There is times of course where I've killed one of his ships in 2 shots and then go on to win without losing one ship, its more the comeback that's harder to do against AA. Once he gets in the lead its gg.

Doubt people have Geo's up enough for awhile though, I mean the shard is still quite new we just growing really fast, the top guys all had seven star capitals obviously from paying for it on the very first event mastery we had. Will be interesting when the AA whale goes it, can't wait to experience what they like!

Otherwise, Tarkins still the best overall investment. Blending in is advantageous. Playing the meta means dropping less cause less people hit you :p
  • Whatelse73
    2164 posts Member
    Options
    Funny to hear how other player's shards are going. My fleet shard (maybe a year old) started out with a couple ackbars in the top 50, then went about 50/50 tarkin and thrawn and now is starting to become more and more thrawn. I'm working on an Ackbar fleet, but it is slow going. I've used Ackbar a couple times, but ended up switching back to Tarkin, then moved to Thrawn. As long as my ships don't get beat up too bad by the other fleet, I can make it to Thrawn's Nuke and it's pretty much done. Even if it doesn't destroy the whole fleet, I end up having a bit longer to finish off the other fleet because of the cooldown increase.
  • Options
    2 members are reporting that their daily activities are wrong.
    1 does not have the "Squad Arena - finish 2 squad arena battles"
    1 does not have the "Fleet Arena - finish 1 fleet arena battle"
    Both still have their 5 battles.
    Is this affecting anyone else
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    Caljr wrote: »
    Tryed Genosians today, all XII, Sun Fac with 3 equipments XII, GSoldier 2 and all with ships unique maxed, Tarkin with 2 Zetas and 3 equipaments XII, i lost in 18 seconds to another genosians with Tarkin, why that super gap when some players with less equipaments XII do more than duble damage and receive less?

There isn't a difference in damage unless you're using different fleet commanders (Tarkin gives Offense to all his ships, Thrawn and Ackbar give Crit Damage to theirs; so you'll notice heavier normal damage from Executrix, but higher spike damage from the others).

What's your strategy? Who was their fleet commander? What are your reserves? What were their reserves? 18 seconds is hyperbolic, how long did it really take?

Against the mirror match you want to use Executrix for the ability block potential. I use Home One because my Executrix is still in the works, so what I do is focus on Sun Fac first (I want to take out Soldier but I will wind up being buffed and be forced to hit Sun Fac, so starting on him from the jump is my best bet) then bring in Biggs as my first reinforcement to split the other team's attacks between two taunts, as well as providing another assist when he enters the field thanks to his reinforcement ability. Kill order is Sun Fac, Soldier, Spy (but you'll probably have to take out their reinforcement between Sun Fac and the Soldier).

I have G12 soldier and Sun Fac, G11 spy, none with g12 equipment. Maxed uniques, soldier's attacks are maxed, Sun Fac's basic is maxed but not his special, and Spy's are each one level below max. I haven't lost an attack in a week, and I hold fairly well on defense. The point of all this is to say that my team isn't as good as you say yours is but I'm winning, so give us more information and we might be able to help you. But the more "18 seconds" nonsense hyperbole you put in, the more sceptical I am.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Options
    Make the ships arena great again. Back to the Route ships 1.0 was great 2.0 is ....
  • Options
    Lordih wrote: »
    Make the ships arena great again. Back to the Route ships 1.0 was great 2.0 is ....

"...much better, but I don't want to make the effort." is how that sentence ends. Why did you cut it off halfway through?
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Options
    NicWester wrote: »
    Lordih wrote: »

"...much better, but I don't want to make the effort." is how that sentence ends. Why did you cut it off halfway through?

lol - there are like 4 people that like ships 2.0 better. We get it - you're one them. We took a poll. 42/50 in our guild can't stand Ships 2.0. It's more RNG based - regardless as to what your lineup is, because one bad 2% dodge and you can't recover with only 3 starting ships. The problem is only exacerbated in TW, where a bad break can't take 2-3 more attacks to fix.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*