What are CG's Goals?

Prev1
I mean this question honestly. Obviously the main goal is to make money, but what else?

Create fun and engaging content?
How can this be with the STR disaster that is (near) universally hated.

Create an environment of communication with devs and the community with the goal of finding out what keeps people coming back?
You hired a community manager that, despie his title, doesnt really communicate. Even on threads specifically asking for feedback. Topics go months with no responses. When the player base asks for something you do literally the opposite. (Less ships RNG, STR rewards etc) You are apparently dedicating more time to Reddit because you cant filter there, but still, these are the official forums.

To create a diverse game with multiple areas of engaging content?
Ships 2.0 seems to be quite the failure, at least based on the feedback. I know, I know you have some measureables that show its amazing, but the community has already pointed out the errors in your data

Cultivate a community encouraging teamwork and friendship?
Again STR. The breaker of guilds and the seperator of power.

So if we cant talk about anything else, can we talk about what your goals are, and maybe we can help you get there? And at the same time make a game that is more balanced and enjoyable?

Replies

• Eddiemundie
    1070 posts Member
    Options
    I mean this question honestly. Obviously the main goal is to make money, but what else?

Create fun and engaging content?
    How can this be with the STR disaster that is (near) universally hated.

Create an environment of communication with devs and the community with the goal of finding out what keeps people coming back?
    You hired a community manager that, despie his title, doesnt really communicate. Even on threads specifically asking for feedback. Topics go months with no responses. When the player base asks for something you do literally the opposite. (Less ships RNG, STR rewards etc) You are apparently dedicating more time to Reddit because you cant filter there, but still, these are the official forums.

To create a diverse game with multiple areas of engaging content?
    Ships 2.0 seems to be quite the failure, at least based on the feedback. I know, I know you have some measureables that show its amazing, but the community has already pointed out the errors in your data

Cultivate a community encouraging teamwork and friendship?
    Again STR. The breaker of guilds and the seperator of power.

So if we cant talk about anything else, can we talk about what your goals are, and maybe we can help you get there? And at the same time make a game that is more balanced and enjoyable?

Frustrate the player base and induce rage spending probably. After all what have they been doing? Releasing new things every few weeks so u can never catch up.

Oh u unlocked traya? Here’s g12+ so u cant beat the top in arena still - that is unless u buy these shiny crystals for more g12 gear to become a sith smiter. Oh but catch is g12+ drops are still rng - u might just get 0 fully crafted pieces while the rest of ur shard gets 1 every raid, how fun.

Can’t say it isn’t working though. I’m steadily depleting my stash of arena winnings ever since hsr came out, and even more so with the g12+ gear.
  • Daishi
    718 posts Member
    Options
    To me, better and more communication would do wonders. For instance. ..

"Anytime a new raid is released, our goal is to make the raid very difficult, nearly impossible. We want to challenge to top players and guilds and give them a reward of the first to beat said content and reap the first
    rewards and the power boost with it. However within the next 6 months we plan to release new characters and rework old to make the road more accessible to the masses."
  • Pulsipher
    503 posts Member
    Options
    My guild has been affected by STR as well. We were not one of the top guilds which collected the strongest players from next tier...so we were one of the feeder guilds. Fortunately most of our members remained and are holding their heads high while mentoring the not quite ready for heroic portion of the guild. We don't have Traya and we don't have G12.5 pieces and we are increasingly less relevant in our arena shards - but their is some honour there and we are having as much fun as the day before this stuff dropped.

It feels like one of the goals was to move players into distinct tiers - the very best players will be playing Heroic and facing each other in TWs. This has a positive effect on the lower tiers of TWs, we don't see 10 ridiculous players (and scrubs) building a wall that can't be bested by a guild of 50 relatively equal players amounting to the same GP.
    It is unfortunate that the STR is a bit of a slog for some guilds who aren't at heroic yet- but if they are gearing the right teams, watching videos, and sharing strategies they will keep moving up ranks.
    The T6 was a slog for us until about 2 weeks ago, now it's cake...and heroic is waiting for us this weekend - and it feels really good. I regret nothing.

I am glad that this content has taken some time. If everything were easy and beatable day one I would just be playing this game to click JOIN and SIM, may as well be playing Adventure Capitalist...

...so...frustrations noted...it's worth it to find a group of like powered individuals and dig in wherever you are to get better.
  • Options
    Annoy the playerbase as much as possible, man the harpoons and keep the whales on the hook then sunset the game once the money starts drying up and/or the whales have swam to more fertile games.

I even saw one youtuber justify spending 60 buckaroos on a toon for this game with "it's 60 bucks I would have spent on a videogame anyway". Don't need to point the farcical nature of that comment do I.

EA are going to EA though. Another thing they've ruined. Mobile gaming had potential before the evil empires got their greasy mits on it.

Could be worse, it could be MSF.

With regards to communication, it's too late for that now IMO. Far too much bad blood in the playerbase at this point, especially considering the history they have on this very forum.

Hey, it's still better than MSF
  • Options
    In one of the reddit topics someone from CG talked about their strict communication policy. One of the elements was that they couldnt comment on content they were specifically working on. (Which is dumb, but I digress) Since this is about goals maybe they can comment here as everyone has those? How about it CG? @CG_Carrie @CG_SBCrumb
  • Options
    Ships 2.0 seems to be quite the failure

I'm sorry, but this only applies to low level / low gear fleets.
    However, if your fleet is (pretty much) maxed, it's not only fun, the fights do indeed get shorter.
    Only very rarely does a ship fight break the 2min barrier.
    The only ship fight I lost in the last 2 weeks was today, when my wife needed help, and I only came back too late.

I'm using a (not even maxed) Tarkin led fleet of TIE Fighter, Biggs, KRU with Vader (maxed), Boba, Reaper, Scimitar reinforcements (of which most of the time only Vader comes into play).
  • Options
    What CG really needs to do, instead of looking at the metrics they have for a “healthy game”, is to send out a climate survey semi-annually or annually and get actual feedback from the player base. Even the forums are just a small representation and many people in the game have frustrations that never go to the forums.
  • Pulsipher
    503 posts Member
    Options
    Ships 2.0 is slighlty more fun than 1.0 and folks haven't tapped into all of the ship abilities yet, still pretty similar at the top of the shards.
    And of course I don't mind the extra farming opportunities from the ships table.
  • Options

However, if your fleet is (pretty much) maxed, it's not only fun, the fights do indeed get shorter.
    The only ship fight I lost in the last 2 weeks was today, when my wife needed help, and I only came back too late.

I'm using a (not even maxed) Tarkin led fleet of TIE Fighter, Biggs, KRU with Vader (maxed), Boba, Reaper, Scimitar reinforcements (of which most of the time only Vader comes into play).

Many people with strong ships would disagree that ships 2.0 is fun, they would say it’s entirely up to RNG if you win or not. Check out the giant ships 2.0 megathread if you don’t believe me.
  • Empiric1
    346 posts Member
    Options
    Shareholder value.
  • Options
    I love Ships 2.0. That’s coming from a top 5 fleet arena player who dropped after they nerfed my best ships. However Everyone having thrawn with the same exact starting ships was bad. Now it’s more of a Rock Paper Scissors and there is a lot more variety of top ships.
  • LinkDonnovan
    49 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

I would reference the 2x ships 2.0 topics on the main page. Its great if your individual experience has been positive, but the objective data contained in those topics show it to be a failure. Based on hundreds (thousands if you include reddit) of individual players feedback.

My individual fleet is near max and my experience would mirror that of most of the community. Pure RNG. First target lock wins in most cases. But if its working for you, thats great, mean it sincerely, but it doesnt echo the community as a whole.

That being said, I dont really want this topic to turn into another ship only topic. There are already 2 for that.
  • Miffed
    29 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Who said the STR is universally hated? I hear this as a sense of entitlement where everyone thinks they should be handed equal rewards.

Any game where long term development is a factor isn't going to allow for that.

The STR is incredibly well designed content. It has some depth and complexity, while allowing for some pretty creative teams.

Just because something is hard doesn't make it hated or stupid. Not everyone belongs at the top of their arena shard.

I'd flip it around and ask what the player's goals are. This game gives you the choice. If you expect to be able to rank 1 in arena every day, and get the top rewards from the games hardest content - you'll need to plan and spend accordingly. Otherwise find a way to maximize your full potential and be happy with the progress that affords you. Neither of those things are something you're entitled to. CG's is giving you that choice.

This game isn't perfect, and I've yet to find one that is - but there is sure a lot to enjoy and fun to be had.
    Post edited by Miffed on
  • Kyngzilla
    265 posts Member
    Options
    This is a very good criticism. They should say what the games long term goal is, maybe put out a mission statement or vision statement so we know what they're aiming for, they know and we can view actions in that light.
  • Options
    Miffed wrote: »
    Who said the STR is universally hated? I hear this as a sense of entitlement where everyone thinks they should be handed equal rewards.

The STR is incredibly well designed content. It has some depth and complexity, while allowing for some pretty creative teams.

Just because something is hard doesn't make it hated or ****. No everyone belongs at the top of their arena shard.

I'd flip it around and ask what the player's goals are. This game gives you the choice. If you expect to be able to rank 1 in arena every day, and get the top rewards from the games hardest content - you'll need to plan and spend accordingly. Otherwise find a way to maximize your full potential and be happy with the progress that affords you. Neither of those things are something you're entitled to. CG's is giving you that choice.

This game isn't perfect, and I've yet to find one that is - but there is sure a lot to enjoy and fun to be had.

Again, I am glad your experience has been positive. I would reference the sith raid feedback thread for perspective about how the general community feels about raid. There are about a thousand posts or so, feel free to tally positive and negative feelings. Let us know what that looks like.
  • Miffed
    29 posts Member
    Options

Just because something is hard doesn't make it hated or ****. No everyone belongs at the top of their arena shard.

Again, I am glad your experience has been positive. I would reference the sith raid feedback thread for perspective about how the general community feels about raid. There are about a thousand posts or so, feel free to tally positive and negative feelings. Let us know what that looks like.

If you think forum post are a true measure of community sentiment, we would first need to debate that point.

Who's more likely to run to the forums? The person who is struggling or unhappy with the rewards, or the person who's just having fun and getting on with the game?

Your statement implies that the forums serve as a complete measure of that sentiment. That's like saying, most people who call a service department have problems. Of course they do, but that doesn't mean they speak for the massive population of people who never read or post on these forums.

I'd love to hear what people's goals and expectations are from this game. What are yours?
  • Vettes4Fetts2
    523 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    The bottom line, always.

I don't begrudge them making money.

The fact they are cutting off their nose to spite their face is the problem.
  • Options
    Who said the STR is universally hated? I hear this as a scene of entitlement where everyone thinks they should be handed equal rewards

An large majority of people hate it. Check out the feedback thread: https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/169517/sith-triumvirate-raid-feedback-thread/p1. Longtime spenders have quit the game and huge guilds have broken up because of how terrible the Sith raid is. If you enjoy it, good for you, but right now the Sith raid is considered one of, if not the most hated part of this game. There’s maybe 10 good teams, and almost everyone complains about the rewards. I’m still holding out hope that they’ll do something about it.

And to answer to OP’s question, I think right now it should be to fix the Sith raid, though they’ve stated that they like how it is and don’t plan to change it.
  • Miffed
    29 posts Member
    Options
    Who said the STR is universally hated? I hear this as a scene of entitlement where everyone thinks they should be handed equal rewards

An large majority of people hate it. Check out the feedback thread: https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/169517/sith-triumvirate-raid-feedback-thread/p1. Longtime spenders have quit the game and huge guilds have broken up because of how terrible the Sith raid is. If you enjoy it, good for you, but right now the Sith raid is considered one of, if not the most hated part of this game. There’s maybe 10 good teams, and almost everyone complains about the rewards. I’m still holding out hope that they’ll do something about it.

And to answer to OP’s question, I think right now it should be to fix the Sith raid, though they’ve stated that they like how it is and don’t plan to change it.

Hey, if it's on the forums it must be the gospel truth.
  • Options

If you think forum post are a true measure of community sentiment, we would first need to debate that point.

Who's more likely to run to the forums? The person who is struggling or unhappy with the rewards, or the person who's just having fun and getting on with the game?

Your statement implies that the forums serve as a complete measure of that sentiment. That's like saying, most people who call a service department have problems. Of course they do, but that doesn't mean they speak for the massive population of people who never read or post on these forums.

I'd love to hear what people's goals and expectations are from this game. What are yours?

I have just 1 goal, to have fun. ; ) I personally feel the game is at a low point right now, I dont think my feeling is unique.

But to answer your previous question regarding who is likely to post. The topic was created by the community manager, seeking feedback from this specific group, with a specific set of questions. That feedback, especially in the begging was given very constructively. I think its fair to say that feedback was not acted on, or engaged in any way shape or form. I can only think of 1 reason to seek such structured feedback, and that is to improve that piece of content. I am honestly not trying to troll, but every STR feedbackthread I can find on any forum, in any venue shows your experience to be in the vast minority.
  • Pulsipher
    503 posts Member
    Options
    This post was about trying to glean the goals behind the raid and the direction of the game.
    Of course some have spent extra money to gear their STR teams, that probably satisfied a goal.
    Secondly, as I alluded earlier in this thread, the player base has been separated so that the strongest players are mostly playing with AND against each other in the raids and events.
    This leaves open lower "tiers" of players to compete against their own. I can't help but feel like this could also have been one of their goals as there was some frustration amongst new players and more casual players.
  • Jookaa
    30 posts Member
    Options
    OP the questions are valid. The snarky entitled comments are invalid imo. Str is very hard and requires lots of effort and investment and is very worth it. Guilds group like minded individuals which to me is fine. The option is with the user to stay or leave.

The raid is not meant for a few people that try and a bunch of others who don’t try the bare minimum to carry their weight. I am irked each time a player complains about the output of the rewards of the str without investing into the teams or dedicating the time to practice as when compared another player who has put in the work and is getting rewarded for their effort.

Ships 2.0 is a failure? By what measure, what standard? It opened up the playing field for other ships and team comps. It introduced fleet battles. It’s more interesting with the reinforcement abilities. What exactly did you want from ships 2.0?
  • Mzee
    1777 posts Member
    Options
    The problem I see is that the balance between fun and spending money has shifted more towards the side of money, and has been continuing to shift. The shift towards even more RNG is my biggest problem with this. More RNG means people lose arena and ship arena battles more often resulting in more refreshes with crystals across the arena shards. I see this mostly with the ship update. I felt ships did need a rework, and what they claimed they wanted to do with ships was good, but the execution of it (intentional or not) just resulted in more RNG causing people to lose more on offense when they should win the battle. Turn meter manipulators like Reaper, and Tie Fighter Pilot don't work so well now on offense, and are very frustrating.

Arena I don't have much issue now as I am one of the few Traya users so far in my shard. There is a lot of RNG in arena right now, particularly with Rex lead, and Palpatine teams though, and this results in a lot of frustration. The coin flip thread demonstrates this.

The Sith Raid I am beginning to enjoy more lately as my teams have gotten stronger so bad RNG that forces restarting has gone down more, although there is still frustration, particularly with phase 3. I have noticed participation in my guild has gone down with this raid, and I attribute it to RNG forcing restarts to being so frustrating. Some people in my guild quit the game shortly after the release as it was so exhausting the first few times running heroic sith.

The reward structure of the Sith raid are a disaster judging by the feedback I have seen here, particularly for players outside the top 10 for heroic Sith, and for lower sith tiers, particularly for the insane health of the raid making it last so long. I was happy to see the rewards change was initially reversed so that CG could spend more time coming up with a solution that the community appreciated more, but I don't feel like that was achieved. Players outside top 10 are getting pretty disgruntled. Even players outside top 10 are having to put in a lot of effort into the raid putting up big numbers so deserve better rewards.

I hope this shift can be reversed more towards fun again, but I don't have a great deal of confidence that it will at this point. The community keeps expressing much frustration with the state of things, and it seems that instead things just keep getting worse instead of better.
  • Options

Hey, if it's on the forums it must be the gospel truth.

giphy.gif
    Simply adorable.
    #AcolyteShootsTwice
  • Options
    You open with saying you're asking an honest question, but it really doesn't feel like one. It's not a complicated matter. Every business has a common goal of maximizing shareholder value. In the instance of a mobile game, they need a player base that is engaged, growing, and willing to spend money at current or greater levels. To accomplish that, the game needs to appeal to them. You point to new content and act as though your own experience, or the opinion shared on the forums, acts as a proxy for the larger player base. That is categorically untrue. Coming from the tech world, I can promise you they're using quantifiable data and surveys (I've received 2 since I started playing), to gauge the game's health. If it was in trouble, they would have hit the panic button and revamped whatever was causing the monetary drought.

From the interviews I've heard / watched, I can tell the team over there are interested in providing high quality gameplay and are Star Wars fans (personal opinion, to each their own). No game is going to be perfect or meet everyone's expectations, and takes a long time to develop, but my thoughts on those you've listed are as follows:

1) HSTR is amazing. STR is a grind and I think needs to be adjusted. My guild went from T5 to HSTR because T6 was just annoying.
    2) Communication could and should be better. It's getting better. I don't think they'll meet everyone's expectations here either just by nature of us all having differing views and emotional attachment to the game.
    3) Ships was annoying to relearn and I was frustrated that a lot of the work I put into specific ships/toons now has them sidelined and I have to do it all over again. I'm finally starting to get the hang of it again and having fun. Ships PvE is fantastic. Good gear. Great first time rewards. Amazing design and artistry.
    4) I stayed with my guild. Some people left. We made it to HSTR. Every raid is and has been disruptive to guild cohesion. It's just part of the game.
  • Options
    Jookaa wrote: »
    OP the questions are valid. The snarky entitled comments are invalid imo. Str is very hard and requires lots of effort and investment and is very worth it. Guilds group like minded individuals which to me is fine. The option is with the user to stay or leave.

The raid is not meant for a few people that try and a bunch of others who don’t try the bare minimum to carry their weight. I am irked each time a player complains about the output of the rewards of the str without investing into the teams or dedicating the time to practice as when compared another player who has put in the work and is getting rewarded for their effort.

Ships 2.0 is a failure? By what measure, what standard? It opened up the playing field for other ships and team comps. It introduced fleet battles. It’s more interesting with the reinforcement abilities. What exactly did you want from ships 2.0?

I'm not biased because, I'm getting top 10 in heroic sith guild and getting first in fleet. Now with that outta the way:

Sith raid.

Guild raids. They aren't supposed to cater to a select 10 teams when they are released. Most (atleast 65%) characters, some a *little* more than others should be able to contribute from the timing that the raid was released, in atleast one part of the raid. Here we see, as an example, JTR teams being the solely exclusive teams to do damage in p1 when the raid was released. Like not even close to any other teams. You *needed* jtr to do p1. For checking out how acutely jtr was needed, i used my wampa team in p1. 0.10% is the damage they did, compared to 5% of jtr. Imo that's bad design. Yeah sure they can rework squads now, but it should have been to make the raid easier, not to provide a **** alternative for jtr.

Rewards for lower levels is stinky. Atleast bring them to haat levels(i feel rancor is too good lol). The effort/reward ratio is not even close×infinity. This is the MOST pressing concern (next should be fixing ships).

Presence of full g12 pieces before rework. The rewards were waaaaay ridiculous before rework. Almost a 100% chance to give out g12 gear at all ranks. That's another bad design. Should've been fixed before. Should've made it like rancor. Now there's a huge gap between players doing heroic sith raid post/pre rework.

Rewards for anything below top 10 are bad. Very bad. Nerf top 4-10 rewards. Bump up top 10-20 rewards. For heroic.

Nobody in lower tiers is asking for nerfing hsith rewards. Over time, they'll also benefit from it. They are only asking for fixing the lower tier rewards.

For ships:

It's full rng now. How to fix it? Just increase starting ships back to 5! Increase CD of special abilties of cap ships, so that reinfo isn't totally useless!
    Time commitment is already steep for ship battles now, this couldn't possibly make it worse (JK, they will always find a way to make it worse).
  • Options
    Communication is a joke. 99% of threads get moved to dead forums or mass posts where no one sees your suggestion, that is if it doesn’t get deleted. Whereas we used to have a hint at what was coming, we now have absolutely no idea.
  • Options
    Jookaa wrote: »

Me specifically, I wanted less RNG, more ships, more cap ships and balanced gameplay.
  • Options
    Now that they’ve introduced ships 2.0 I think they have the structure to start introducing new ships and it looks like it’ll be a much more diverse arena. Now logically how do you introduce all this diversity? You have to kill the old meta... if you don’t nobody will move to other ships... so hopefully everyone is leaving their old ships in the dust and investing in some new solid ones that the future belongs to.
  • Options
    To make money, presumably.

And to do that they have to create an engaging and entertaining game that people enjoy playing, and encourage others to play.

Pretty simple I'd have thought.