Are you excited about Episode IX?

Replies

• Options
    KyJoe_Cool wrote: »
    Rebel_yell wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to it.
    Very excited. I don't even care if its as bad as Last Jedi, its a new star wars movie and i'm here for it.

Hopefully its a great movie, but that remains to be seen. But i'm hopeful.

Exactly! Thank you! So there ARE more positive people out there like me! lol :smiley: For a while I thought I was literally the ONLY one excited about Episode IX there. It is a Star Wars movie at least for goodness sake. You all had me there for a second. ;) Phew! Thank God I was wrong. :sweat_smile: LOL

Most of us have expectations more than just the words star and wars thrown in the title somewhere.
  • Options
    Yeah "it has Star Wars in the title!!!!!!!!111!" isn't really a sufficient selling point for me.

Then again, I'm only a low to mid tier "fan" anyway, so what do I know....

After all fan does derive itself from fanatic. I've never been fanatical about anything. So I take each Star Wars offering as it comes, usually with a sick bag these days.
    Hey, it's still better than MSF
  • KyJoe_Cool
    1873 posts Member
    Options
    Very excited. I don't even care if its as bad as Last Jedi, its a new star wars movie and i'm here for it.

Exactly! Thank you! So there ARE more positive people out there like me! lol :smiley: For a while I thought I was literally the ONLY one excited about Episode IX there. It is a Star Wars movie at least for goodness sake. You all had me there for a second. ;) Phew! Thank God I was wrong. :sweat_smile: LOL

Most of us have expectations more than just the words star and wars thrown in the title somewhere.

I understand that. It's completely normal. I have some expectations too I will admit. But not being excited about a movie coming out means that people are already looking at it with the wrong disposition and a negative pov on a movie that they haven't even seen and has yet to hit the theatres (Ep. IX). I for one choose to be hopeful. :)
    Massive SWGOH Community On Discord - https://discord.gg/QWvTUBZ
  • Options

I understand that. It's completely normal. I have some expectations too I will admit. But not being excited about a movie coming out means that people are already looking at it with the wrong disposition and a negative pov on a movie that they haven't even seen and has yet to hit the theatres (Ep. IX). I for one choose to be hopeful. :)

I normally would agree, but in this case, being build on a thinly veiled reboot of a classic, with a mediocre sequel to build off of, my non existent expectations can't raise too high. JJ is going to have to pull 2 rabbits from his hat and have not only some amazing action, but some pretty stellar plot twists and writing to make all three movies flow and make sense.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Almost as excited as I was when Mulan II was released straight to DVD, which is what they should do with Ep 9. There is nothing interesting going on in this series. JJ set up a few intriguing subplots, Rian ignored them and literally razed the entire story to the ground, and now there is nothing of interest. Just a few fools flying around in an antique YT-1300 with a new captain that can do anything and a dead general.

Hey, 'member when Kylo first tried to mind meld with Rey and discovered something that made him say, "It's you?" 'Member that? I do. Rian doesn't. What was that all about? Rian does not care. I did.

'Member how Rey's entire character was built on waiting for her missing parents to return? They made a great big deal about her getting abandoned there and how she was waiting for them to come back. Her parentage must have had significance. Or not, according to Rian. Just dismissed it offhand.

'Member the lightsaber vision? What was the significance there? There were familiar places in there; why would Rey be seeing them? Eh, Rian just says "toss that, nobody cares" and dismissed it.

Like he dismissed everything. Kill the past, nobody cares about that, he said. Yeah? Well without the past to build on, there is nothing to care about in the future either.

Sorry, this is just a long way to say: No, I am not excited about Ep 9.

You hit the nail on the head with that one!

Ya, I have no real interest in E9 either, particularly how Disney, Lucasfilm and related companies and media outlets are all shills saying it was great and silencing people or attacking those who say otherwise.

The whole thing stinks to high heaven as far as I am concerned.

E9 is already a huge let down due to TFA and mainly TLJ - can the series improve? Yes, at least I would hope so after TLJ, apparently Solo was a huge improvement - but wasn't a movie people wanted to see at all as well as already being upset with TLJ and the attacks on the fans, no marketing, concern over change of directors, and actor playing Solo to begin with, continued social agendas being pushed, lack of marketing, etc etc - you could go on and on and on - essentially the Solo is a bomb - it flopped.

Even having said all of that - a majority of people actually believed Soylo to be an improvement over TLJ - so if a flopped movie can be better than TLJ rubbish then anything can be.

But that is not the point - JJ doesn't need to make E9 better than TLJ - he actually has to make E9 good enough that it saves the franchise. Unlike Solo which was its own thing - E9 is continuing on from the poor stories told in TFA and TLJ - so JJ has a tougher job making E9 a good sell to the audience - its already a major uphill battle.

If JJ, Lucasfilm or Disney don't respect this to see the weight that the project of E9 is on the franchise - then its lost, the whole franchise.

Will E9 be a masterpiece - most likely not at all!, but will it be able to save the franchise? This is possible and all of Disney, Lucasfilm and JJ's focus needs to be on this.
  • Options
    All Disney etc need to do is make it not completely suck. At least on par with A New Hope quality wise. Then we can write Roundheads disasterpiece off as ROTJ/AOTC.

• Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Options
    All Disney etc need to do is make it not completely suck. At least on par with A New Hope quality wise. Then we can write Roundheads disasterpiece off as ROTJ/AOTC.

Was ROTJ a disaster piece? It was not a good as ANH or TESB, but I certainly wouldn't call it a disasterpiece. It had some minor faults but generally a very entertaining movie that respected its characters and ended its trilogy brilliantly.

AOTC I'll give you was pretty weak, but again it at least respected the characters and overall story arc - which TLJ did none of that.
  • Options
    Why am I not excited? Fans blame Rian for TLJ. And now many are excited that JJ is back. Well, guess who was the executive producer of TLJ, JJ. Hard to get excited. I will wait til it hits TV.
  • Options
    I'm not that excited for Episode IX honestly, but I've loved all the Disney-made movis ths far and thoroughly enjoyed Star Wars Rebels. I'm honestly more excited for the next "Star Wars Story" and the return of Star Wars Clone Wars. I expect Episode IX to be "Rey vs Kylo Ren" with some "I'm not evil, YOU'RE evil!" dialogue thrown back and forth between them. I just can't see them ending the series without them fighting and Rey definitively winning. Predictability = No excitement.
  • kalidor
    2121 posts Member
    Options
    I'm not that excited for any more SW movies, to be honest. Solo was a letdown, being so plain. TLJ and R1 were missing the "fun" factor that made SW movies enjoyable to watch and rewatch. And while we can all compile our lists of "best SW movies" and argue about that, the fact is that there are a lot of movies that are much, much better than the current crop of SW movies. If Disney announced that Ep9 was cancelled, I'd hardly give it much notice.
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • Options
    kalidor wrote: »
    I'm not that excited for any more SW movies, to be honest. Solo was a letdown, being so plain. TLJ and R1 were missing the "fun" factor that made SW movies enjoyable to watch and rewatch. And while we can all compile our lists of "best SW movies" and argue about that, the fact is that there are a lot of movies that are much, much better than the current crop of SW movies. If Disney announced that Ep9 was cancelled, I'd hardly give it much notice.

ROTJ was the last SW movie to me, it ended there.
  • Options

Not going to include Rogue One, my friend?
  • Options

Well, R1 was a good movie, but I find it hasn't much replay value (and I was gifted the dvd). Lucas himself said his stories were to be a fantasy, that left the viewer feeling good when they left the theatre. R1 tells an important story, but it leaves you sad, no chance for a sequel. Mixed feelings I guess.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Options

Bland characters, terrible pacing, cheezy dialogue, pointless story. Worst of the new films. I’m with @DuneSeaFarmer in that the films should have ended after Jedi.
  • Options
    I’m not excited but I’m still gonna see it. Outside of the original trilogy, the movies have almost universally been terrible. Episodes I, II, Rogue One and The Last Jedi were all terrible. Solo was fine, just nothing earth shattering. Episode III was ok at best. Force Awakens was a lot of fun.
  • Options

Well, R1 was a good movie, but I find it hasn't much replay value (and I was gifted the dvd). Lucas himself said his stories were to be a fantasy, that left the viewer feeling good when they left the theatre. R1 tells an important story, but it leaves you sad, no chance for a sequel. Mixed feelings I guess.

I thought Rogue One was horrible and so dull. The first 80% of the movie was basically naptime. The battle at the end and the Vader scene was fun of course, but everything else was stupid and dull and pointless
  • Options

It was a good story. Personally I felt I got my moneys worth when I walked out of the theater. It was sad the whole team died at the end, but in a way that's a good thing. Not only does it show the dedication of freedom, the evil of the empire, but also made it so they couldn't make a crappy sequel and blow it. But to be fair, A New Hope starts about 5 minutes after Rogue One ends.
  • Options
    DatBoi wrote: »

Bland characters, terrible pacing, cheezy dialogue, pointless story. Worst of the new films. I’m with @DuneSeaFarmer in that the films should have ended after Jedi.

Rogue One was way better than anything that happens after ROTJ.
  • Options

I can agree there. Of all the post ROTJ movies, Rogue One is the best.

• Options

Thank you! If I remember correctly, you're waiting for solo to hit TV?
    Not a bad choice. The movie is okay for what it's worth. Just not amazing. I'm probably going to wait for it to be $10 before I get it.
  • Options

Thank you! If I remember correctly, you're waiting for solo to hit TV?
    Not a bad choice. The movie is okay for what it's worth. Just not amazing. I'm probably going to wait for it to be $10 before I get it.

Honestly I am really losing my desire to see any of the new movies. I own TFA, and R1. After all the venom etc about the rest.. I find myself watching Star Trek more.

• Options
    Honestly I am really losing my desire to see any of the new movies. I own TFA, and R1. After all the venom etc about the rest.. I find myself watching Star Trek more.

[/quote]

My wife likes Star Trek more, one of the few movies we actually agree on. But I do favor the newer ones myself.
  • DuneSeaFarmer
    3525 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

My wife likes Star Trek more, one of the few movies we actually agree on. But I do favor the newer ones myself. [/quote]

ST Beyond had me LOL'ing so much, it was like the TOS was back. "I don't know what Jim would do without you. Me, I'd throw a party" loved it.
  • Hellsteeth30
    832 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Yeah, Beyond was a surprise. I wasn't expecting much from it but I really enjoyed it.

Justin Lin does good work. Look what he did for the Fast & Furious franchise.

Better Luck Tomorrow was a good film of his too.
  • CaptainRex
    2840 posts Member
    Options
    Hmm, Rey has kicked Kylo's butt twice now with little to no training. Wonder what will happen in IX?
    #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).
  • Options
    CaptainRex wrote: »
    Hmm, Rey has kicked Kylo's butt twice now with little to no training. Wonder what will happen in IX?

They marry, break up, she gets custody of the force. Kylo does b-day parties as a young Severus Snape look alike.

• Options

They marry, break up, she gets custody of the force. Kylo does b-day parties as a young Severus Snape look alike.

I refer to unmasked kylo as handsome snape.
  • Options

I kinda feel like they get into an "epic" battle and then realize that they both can exist together, that the galaxy is a big place and they don't need to be by each other.
  • Options

She'll force push a planet into him whilst yelling "LOOK WIMMINZ IZ DOIN' STUFF NAO!!!!".

"Wait a second, is that Leia doing her Superwoman bit again, she's totally stealing my scene."

Then she goes back in time and stops Thanos from doing the thing he did (OMG NOSPOILZ) and the Infinity War is concluded before it even began. Rey is then declared Champion of the Entire Universe(s) and then the credits roll.

It will be declared the greatest movie of all time by the left and SJWs and us normal people will all launch the largest group facepalm ever recorded.

The End.
  • kalidor
    2121 posts Member
    Options
    I think part of the problem is that the SW universe has expanded tremendously through all the books, series, and games that have come out since the OT. The fact that a large portion of it isn't canon anymore doesn't really matter. What does is that a 2h movie simply can't capture the huge amount of lore that now exists, and almost feels small in comparison.
    One thing that TCW and the Rebels did quite well was explore the universe - pirates, empire, separatists, monsters, planets, the force, sith, jedi, politics, characters. So I'm looking forward to the new season of Clone Wars much more than Ep9, or Toaster Droid: A SW Story.
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m