Brainstorming counters to bastilla lead

Prev1345
The point of this discussion is to brainstorm counters to bastilla lead. I run ep lead in arena and am looking for possible teams to take out a bastilla team in arena if no good options to go around are available. A few ground rules.

1. Not a place to whine that it needs nerfed. That is not the point of this post.
2. Don't just say Traya lead. If I had Traya or was close, then that would have been mentioned.
3. The point is to share what current teams may work best that I may not have leveled to the point to test myself. For example I don't have a g12 ns or jtr team since I have focused on ep lead for arena.
4. This will help to get an idea of how balanced arena is going to be in the near future. If there are teams that beat bastilla that are beatable by ep lead then it is more balanced than if tge only teams that beat it are traya lead.

Replies

• VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Obviously I havent fought them yet, but spitballing here: High damage single-target attacks that don't rely on debuffs would strip the protection up plus tenacity. CLS RHan Wiggs + Tank.

Boba on almost any team.

Bossk lead BH would stay topped off until the Jedi lose their protection.
  • Vertigo
    4497 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    VonZant wrote: »
    Obviously I havent fought them yet, but spitballing here: High damage single-target attacks that don't rely on debuffs would strip the protection up plus tenacity. CLS RHan Wiggs + Tank.

Boba on almost any team.

Best way to beat teams with synergy is to throw as many OP toons in your team as possible.... Titan's/CLS rebels probably makes good work of it. The team doesn't have any source of Daze so counter attacks from high DPS targets should be devastating. Yoda's gonna take a ton of turns and hit the rebels constantly, CLS will get a ton of TM from his unique that way. Baze gets TM when enemy's gain buffs, so he'd probably be rather useful. CLS/Han/Chaze/R2 can probably beat it.
    Rex lead w/ Wampa and friends should also work well.
  • Options
    Have fought a few battles against them using JTR squad with little trouble. Her Mind Tricks strips all of those buffs right off a single target that you can focus down one at a time. Thrawn's Fracture takes care of General Kenobi until you can get to him later.
  • Rahul
    7 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Hmm im mid tier (lvl 78-79) ive fought two bastilla leads (g5 and g7) the biggest thing that helps cut throught the extra defense is visas marr and her def penetration up. It honeslty shreds
  • HK666
    1263 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    There's plenty of anti-buff people in the game. B2, Baze, Sion, IPD, Death, Ventress all have mass cleanses. Sion's cleanse can't be dodged (think AV is the same?), B2 will benifit off all the evades and assists called to throw his cleanse more often. If IPD can penetrate all the tenacity, buff immunity.

I've heard JTR's mind trick stop's basita's buff train before it begins

As long as I'm not lowballing the damage they put out. Hide the Nihilus teams probably work too. From that logic, building around toons with ever increasing damage (FOE/FOX, Young Han) till they absolutely tear the enemy apart could be interesting

Like people said taking CLS with his 50% defense and counter chance sounds great. CLS, Rhan, Chaze ( dispell and heals), +1. Be careful of using r2 and giving Yoda stealth, but Jedi aren't debuff heavy (outside of Old Ben and Aayla, right?) so the cleanse on crit shouldn't be important. +1 is prolly GK or Thrawn or Nest or Wampa or Hoda or any other plug toon. It'd be funny to see SiM become immortal because of all those buffs, but he doesn't have much for offense, soooo pass.

I don't think there is a single team doesn't hate getting hit by aoe daze

Hopefully HK will get reworked, join T3M4 and crush Jedi beneath their boot.

Edit-Is EP lead really stopped flat by Bastila? I know that tenacity makes it harder to rely on debuffs, but they do have some potency, and Sion's cleanse (which can't be timed on defense, I guess). Maybe call Tarkin down from the fleet?
  • Options
    HK666 wrote: »
    There's plenty of anti-buff people in the game. B2, Baze, Sion, IPD, Death, Ventress all have mass cleanses. Sion's cleanse can't be dodged (think AV is the same?), B2 will benifit off all the evades and assists called to throw his cleanse more often. If IPD can penetrate all the tenacity, buff immunity.

As long as I'm not lowballing the damage they put out. Hide the Nihilus teams probably work too. From that logic, building around toons with ever increasing damage (FOE/FOX, Young Han) till they absolutely tear the enemy apart could be interesting

Like people said taking CLS with his 50% defense and counter chance sounds great. CLS, Rhan, Chaze ( dispell and heals), +1. Be careful of using r2 and giving Yoda stealth, but Jedi aren't debuff heavy (outside of Old Ben and Aayla, right?) so the cleanse on crit shouldn't be important. +1 is prolly GK or Thrawn or Nest or Wampa or Hoda or any other plug toon. It'd be funny to see SiM become immortal because of all those buffs, but he doesn't have much for offense, soooo pass.

Edit-Is EP lead really stopped flat by Bastila? I know that tenacity makes it harder to rely on debuffs, but they do have some potency, and Sion's cleanse (which can't be timed on defense, I guess). Maybe call Tarkin down from the fleet?

I've tried ep lead a couple of times and nothing sticks. Can't land shock. Ocassionally get a pain but not often. Sion does get to use his aoe a kot due to pain not sticking so he woukd be a good dispeller on a team. The problem is that with the added protection, the team I face has 70 or 80k of protection to get through. And the jedi really do hit that much harder now. They take nihilas out in like 2 hits so not much chance of getting to anhilate. Sion doesn't act as much of a tank since there's no pain landing. No mass stuns going around. You dispel with sion and in a turn they have the buffs again. It just doesn't go well. Though to be fair this is a g12 7 star everyone but bastilla. The others are hermit, gmy, ezra, and gk. And based on the speeds pretty well modded. So some teams may be easier. But it is annoying when the only choice you have is a bastilla team or a handful of traya teams that are faster than you. I get closer against the trayas. I did sub palp out for fett and got at least one good hit in under vader lead but still wasn't enough.
  • Options
    Have fought a few battles against them using JTR squad with little trouble. Her Mind Tricks strips all of those buffs right off a single target that you can focus down one at a time. Thrawn's Fracture takes care of General Kenobi until you can get to him later.

that's good to hear. I have jtr g12. Probably don't have enough to go with it to run it in arena but if it can beat the new "meta" it may make it where I see more jtr and lesd traya and bastilla. At least enough to leapfrog on offense hopefully.
  • Options
    Boba looks promising with the plethora of buffs the Jedi have, NS probably good too since they can just avoid the protection up but probably wanna maintain hoda to stop the healing
  • Ninjah9
    906 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    @Darkhelmet1138 I just discovered that the omega torment does that with sion. It would be a tremendous asset because at the very least you dispel all their buffs each time they get them. As long as hes alive.
    I've been brainstorming and I'm excited that maul may become a real Bastilla counter for the sith (a side from traya ofcourse). I think traya will end up being countered by Revan.
    I love that the jedi are evening things out against the sith.
    Now I just wish cg would fix the wording of jolee's healing ability so it works with kenobi
  • Vertigo
    4497 posts Member
    Options

Yoda can steal stealth, but he can't spread it, so R2 won't be too much of a hindrance, and his zetas are just too good in that rebel lineup.
  • Risz
    134 posts Member
    Options
    Darth Maul Zeta leadership + Savage + Sith Assassin (+ maybe Darth Sidious)

20% Tm boost at the beginning
    Ignore protection with SA, then Overpower with Savage
    Darth Sidious Dodge rate vs Jedi + DM lead Dodge rate is gonna feed TM and make them go crazy

Old meta > New meta
  • Lovimgsaskia1
    371 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I can beat traya lead with RJT lead, BB8, R2, CLS and Thrawn. Its not perfect though and I've only just started using it. Currently at around 60/40 wins and when it goes wrong it does it spectacularly.
    There is a bastilla team in my shard at 2 so will try it tonight
    Post edited by Lovimgsaskia1 on
  • Empiric1
    346 posts Member
    Options
    She's really not that strong - tons of teams beat her as it is evidenced by this thread. Sorry that you can't take rank1 any more with a single Palpatine team. Most top 10 players will have multiple teams to hold in meta changes not just a f2p palpa/Vader team

Sorry but I have 0 sympathy for Palpatine players.
  • Palanthian
    1262 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I switched to JTR yesterday running Thrawn and GK - 100% win rate vs Bastilla. JTR's expose via her leadership can't be resisted regardless of tenacity, and fracture always works on everyone.
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    Options

A little tenacity makes it harder to rely on debuffs. Bastilla is giving enough to make the Jedi almost impervious for the first 2-3 min of battle. EP lead is total garbage against her.

Just so you know where I'm coming from when I say that, I run EP lead, Thrawn (at almost 300 speed depending on where I move my best mods), Nihilus, Sion, and Treya. All have fast mods. The first two times I fought Bastilla lead my Treya was dead without getting a turn. Not a problem though. I can alter my lineup to deal with it, but not in a way that would help the OP since I use Treya.
  • Options
    Empiric1 wrote: »
    She's really not that strong - tons of teams beat her as it is evidenced by this thread. Sorry that you can't take rank1 any more with a single Palpatine team. Most top 10 players will have multiple teams to hold in meta changes not just a f2p palpa/Vader team

Youre free to think however you like, but just to give you some perspective, I thought Id enlighten you that many people actually play palpa vader because they love those chars. Heck theyre pretty much the strongest duo in the whole movie series and **** to the bone. They havr also been unusable for thr past 2 years, so I think these players deserve to feel good and be happy they can run their favorite characters in the arena.

More on the topic, I actually think palpa teams are still great, even with the jedi rising, just needs a little bit of change, either to put traya lead or get some buff removal or buff immunity characters. And perhaps a zeta on DN so that jolee cant revive at least the annhilated ones.
  • FailingCrab
    1155 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

This is:
    a) irrelevant. The OP is clearly not crying that EP is no longer a guaranteed win, he/she is looking for suggestions for building multiple viable squads, exactly what you have criticised him/her for not having.
    b) untrue. You're forgetting about newer shards. Nobody on my shard has more than 2-3 well-geared teams.

The most readily available team I can think of is Titans/CLS rebels for the same reason as someone above suggested - counters by multiple hard hitters, CLS has buff immunity and tenacity down, Baze has dispel. I'm focusing on HSR teams atm because I don't think many in my shard are planning to run Bastila but if she does start cropping up that's where I'd focus my first efforts.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299
  • Options
    Roopehun wrote: »

Youre free to think however you like, but just to give you some perspective, I thought Id enlighten you that many people actually play palpa vader because they love those chars. Heck theyre pretty much the strongest duo in the whole movie series and **** to the bone. They havr also been unusable for thr past 2 years, so I think these players deserve to feel good and be happy they can run their favorite characters in the arena.

More on the topic, I actually think palpa teams are still great, even with the jedi rising, just needs a little bit of change, either to put traya lead or get some buff removal or buff immunity characters. And perhaps a zeta on DN so that jolee cant revive at least the annhilated ones.

DN already has an omega upgrade that prevents revives for characters that were annihilated.
  • Options
    I tried a Titans (OB not GK) against zBastila with GK and Old Ben and it was not pretty. I think I might have killed one of them by the time I was disposed. I could have completely and totally misplayed it, but all that protection on those tanks (with that defense) was formidable.

I run zGMY on a different account and, while I can't wait to get the Zeta on Bastila's lead, he doesn't have much problem with EP leads, even with Traya in the mix. I would imagine a Traya lead would pose a lot more problems, but seemingly everyone in the top 20 is currently running her behind EP, probably because of the high number of EP leads around.

Can't wait for mod management to be a real thing so that it gets less time consuming to change teams based on matchups. I have the toons and gear to run JTR to counter whatever I need to, but I haven't because I don't have the time to swap out three or four sets of mods between matches.
  • Empiric1
    346 posts Member
    Options

This is:
    a) irrelevant. The OP is clearly not crying that EP is no longer a guaranteed win, he/she is looking for suggestions for building multiple viable squads, exactly what you have criticised him/her for not having.
    b) untrue. You're forgetting about newer shards. Nobody on my shard has more than 2-3 well-geared teams.

The most readily available team I can think of is Titans/CLS rebels for the same reason as someone above suggested - counters by multiple hard hitters, CLS has buff immunity and tenacity down, Baze has dispel. I'm focusing on HSR teams atm because I don't think many in my shard are planning to run Bastila but if she does start cropping up that's where I'd focus my first efforts.

Sorry just pointing out the irony that this is coming from a Palpa Lead with no other teams in his roster, he wasn't pointing out how OP and unfair this meta has been and that 90% of swgoh players are running Palpa.

So sorry that I'm enjoying tasting your sweet palpa tears.

In the name of the galactic senate, you're under arrest
  • Options
    VonZant wrote: »

Boba on almost any team.

I run a Bastilla lead and just wrecked a BH team not that long ago...that was on offense though
  • IE4TAPPL3S
    482 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    What you need is an anti buff team. Bastilla gives Yoda buffs and he spreads them all around making everyone gods. You also have to try not to kill Old Ben because him dying has that same effect. I faced a wiggs lead btw and they teared through our protection. High single target damage is a good idea to try and pick Yoda off so he doesn't spread buffs and tear through your team.
  • BubbaFett
    3311 posts Member
    Options
    IE4TAPPL3S wrote: »
    What you need is an anti buff team. Bastilla gives Yoda buffs and he spreads them all around making everyone gods. You also have to try not to kill Old Ben because him dying has that same effect. I faced a wiggs lead btw and they teared through our protection. High single target damage is a good idea to try and pick Yoda off so he doesn't spread buffs and tear through your team.

Yep.... Danger zone or first order..... Pick them off selectively.....
  • Options
    Just tried again with CLS / Han / R2 / Thrawn / OB against zBastila / GMY / OB / ATF / GK and while it took forever and I lost Old Ben reasonably early, I was able to win. All of the tenacity actually speeds up a CLS led team of rebels pretty significantly because of all of the resists (CLS has 3 on his basic, Han has 2, R2 can give 25% on his special).

Kill order was focus down OB as fast as you can, opportunistically take shots at GMY when available - he's still very fragile and if he's left open when Han has his special available it can be easy to clean up. Then GK, GMY if he's still around, Fulcrum and Bastila last.

On another account a GMY lead with zEzra, zHoda, GK and Thrawn beat her pretty easily - but there was a decent size gear differential
  • Options
    I haven't had any problem with well modded 7* g12 Bastila lead teams with the OG nightmare squad (SiT instead of Thrawn). I've seen videos of these teams taking down sith trooper pretty easily on offense, but the AI takes forever with him. Its pretty consistently a stalemate until annihilate finally goes off 3 minutes in or so and the rest fall like dominoes.
  • Options

The point of this post isn't whinning because I don't take first. The bastilla team i mentioned isn't in first but it does seem to hold decent on defense. The point was clearly in the title. To brainstorm teams that work well against a new team. I'm fine with expanding my roster to stay in the upper end of arena but being ftp, I like to have more information before deciding what to focus on. With building raid teams simultaneously I don't have time for bringing a character up to g12 just to find out that it doesn't work like I thought.
  • Options
    Palanthian wrote: »
    I switched to JTR yesterday running Thrawn and GK - 100% win rate vs Bastilla. JTR's expose via her leadership can't be resisted regardless of tenacity, and fracture always works on everyone.

That is a good point. Who are your fourth and 5th. I have jtr uo to g12 for the raid. My gk needs work but already use thrawn in arena. Though I may be able to sub sion in. He probably wouldn't taunt much but woukd dispel a lot.
  • Options
    I tried a Titans (OB not GK) against zBastila with GK and Old Ben and it was not pretty. I think I might have killed one of them by the time I was disposed. I could have completely and totally misplayed it, but all that protection on those tanks (with that defense) was formidable.

I run zGMY on a different account and, while I can't wait to get the Zeta on Bastila's lead, he doesn't have much problem with EP leads, even with Traya in the mix. I would imagine a Traya lead would pose a lot more problems, but seemingly everyone in the top 20 is currently running her behind EP, probably because of the high number of EP leads around.

Can't wait for mod management to be a real thing so that it gets less time consuming to change teams based on matchups. I have the toons and gear to run JTR to counter whatever I need to, but I haven't because I don't have the time to swap out three or four sets of mods between matches.

Exactly. I am looking forward to being able to quickly switch my fastest mods
  • Options
    I just finished a fight with my Night Sisters against Bastila, GMY, Ezra, Old Ben and CLS, I could not apply plague to any Jedi, even though the battle was very easy.
    It was a 140 position battle but I got the feeling that at any position it will happen with a 4* Bastila. She can not survive Talzin multi attack and Ventress unbuffed everybody.