Arena suggestions for new player

Maslyna882
19 posts Member
edited July 2018
Hi guys!

First post here, as I’ve just created my account. I’m a new player (2 months or so) and started with phoenix, with the idea of then moving over to empire. I got palp 7* and thrawn 6* (don’t think I’ll be able to 7* by the end of the event).

This is my roster: https://swgoh.gg/u/maslyna882/collection/

There are a lot of phoenix teams on my shard, some nightsister/FO/emerging empire teams and a few, weak bastila ones.

Keeping arena viability in mind, what would be the best route for me? Empire (palp L, vader, tfp, thrawn, stormtrooper), a **** bastila jedi team (bastila L, ezra, kanan, old ben, qgj) or something completely different? I’m mostly f2p, except for some crystals and the occasional 10$ 4* bundle.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Post edited by Maslyna882 on

Replies

• Poxx
    2288 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Hermit Yoda's Master's Training is what gives zGMY and zEzra the damage boosts they need to compensate for the rest of the jedi being relatively defensive in nature. Aayla is decent too.

As a new player, he's a ways off for you. I wouldn't be looking at jedi atm.

Nightsisters are an easy farm and a great HSR team. Take zombie to 7* but only to lvl 80 for her omega and dont gear her past gear 6. Characters start gaining protection at gear 7.

zzAsajj(L), zMT, zDaka, Talia, Zombie is an amazing team.
  • Options
    Thanks for your help. There is something I’m afraid of. Quite a bit of these are farmable from hard nodes and wouldn’t this team be weak vs empire/sith? Just trying to understand things.
  • Ajes
    24 posts Member
    Options
    I would go all in on Tarkin and TFP and go palp, vader, tarkin, thrawn and TFP. Yes it is probably what 70% of your shard will be doing over the next weeks. But there is a reason for that. It really works. Make sure that you get good speed mods for Vader, so that once you get palps leader ability zetaed you will have a fairly easy time of it in the arena.

I have done the same. Pheonix, then Empire team above, and have consistently finished top 50/20 since the beginning. Together with a good fleet I get probably 350+ crystals on average from
    arena and fleet combined each day.
  • Wardai
    252 posts Member
    Options
    This might help you it might not, but my rolling order was Phoenix > empire originally had tfp swapped to shore when I unlocked > cls

You’ll probably not use cls for arena but seeing you’ve got/will get an empire team you might just want to roll the ball over and get cls.

But overall empire is probably your strongest bet and seeing it really only requires ONE zeta it will probably be optimal over multiple zeta teams which can take many months to farm.

• Options
    But isn’t that empire team based on debuffs, which would not land due to Bastila lead? I am worried about investigsting lots of resources in a useless team, tbh.
  • Wardai
    252 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Maslyna882 wrote: »
    But isn’t that empire team based on debuffs, which would not land due to Bastila lead? I am worried about investigsting lots of resources in a useless team, tbh.

Technically yes, there has been a discussion on this point. One of the key teams people said was a cls wiggs team would work as it’s not debuff reliant.

My shard might be an outlier but still no bastila teams, also at 2 months most of them won’t have a decent team to stop it. Think the best bastila team come up with is basitla (L) GMY Hoda Ezra GK. 2 of those are decently long farms so you should be safe going empire atm.

Edit: here’s the link to the thread discussing bastila counters if you want to read it https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/175866/brainstorming-counters-to-bastilla-lead#latest
  • Maslyna882
    19 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Thanks for the input, everyone! As I can’t get enough gear yo 7* thrawn by the end of the event, I’ve decided to move forward with empire. Now, which would be more viable in arena:

- EP(l), vader, thrawn, tfp, stormtrooper
    - EP(l), vader, thrawn, tfp, tarkin
    - Another combination of these characters and if so, which one?
  • Wardai
    252 posts Member
    Options
    Maslyna882 wrote: »
    - EP(l), vader, thrawn, tfp, tarkin
    I ran that for a good period till I swapped shore in for tfp.
  • Roopehun
    344 posts Member
    Options
    I vote for ep l, vader, thrawn, tarkin, storm.

I dont understand where the tfp love is coming for all. Hes squishy and pretty useless apart from a good damage. However, if you want good damage, there are better tools for that trade, e.g raid han, also bringing unavoidable stuns, double hits ans buffs.
  • Wardai
    252 posts Member
    Options
    Roopehun wrote: »

I dont understand where the tfp love is coming for all. Hes squishy and pretty useless apart from a good damage. However, if you want good damage, there are better tools for that trade, e.g raid han, also bringing unavoidable stuns, double hits ans buffs.

It's more a long the line using tfp in arena means you will probably gear him, and you most likely use him in fleet so 2 for the price of one. Problem with storm at times is there isn't a pretaunt, maybe run tfp on attack and the last one use storm?
  • Maslyna882
    19 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Wardai wrote: »
    Roopehun wrote: »

It's more a long the line using tfp in arena means you will probably gear him, and you most likely use him in fleet so 2 for the price of one. Problem with storm at times is there isn't a pretaunt, maybe run tfp on attack and the last one use storm?

Was also thinking of this, even though it means gearing/starring 1 more character. I also use tfp for arena, yes.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I'm on a Nov 2016 shard and EP Vader Tarkin Thrawn TFP still shows up in top 100 and is a strong team and I can lose to it with some bad luck if Tarkin gets off his debuff/AOE combo. Tarkin is a soft tank and TFP can prevent Sion auto-taunt and EPs offense up and hits very hard. His foresight makes him very survivable.

You wont be wasting resources with that team as they are all useful other places.
  • Ajes
    24 posts Member
    Options
    For me TFP has been an MVP. He does loads of damage and he is great for fleet. His AOE is also great, as it prevents buffs on enemies. Sure he is a bit squishy, but he gets foresight after his turn most of the time, so a lot of the damage done to him is negated. Since he feeds off of debuffs on enemies he works incredibly well in this team.

He has the highest level gear of all of my characters along with Biggs, and I plan to max him completely even if I do switch away from Empire in the arena at some point. Most of my crystals come from fleet, and he is invaluable there.
  • Options
    I'd run EP (L), Vader, Thrawn, Tarkin, TFP.
    TFP really does insane damage and gets up foresight a lot. He is a PITA to kill.
    Tarkin can help you control the battle with his TM reduction AOE ability, his debuffs and he does nice damage as well.

And, as already mentioned, Tarkin, TFP and Vader are an amazing fleet combo.
  • Options
    Great replies, tou guys! Thanksa lot! Guess I’ll focus on Palp L, vader, thrawn, tfp and tarkin and see how much I fall over night. Then, I’ll try using stormtrooper in the last fight and see if it makes any difference.