if you want to fix mods do this

Prev1
Remove speed secondaries and allow for speed to only be gained through primaries and sets. You should incentivize players to look for stats other than speed. Perfectly good mods and being left unused all the time because they don't have high or speed secondary at all.

Removing speed from secondaries would greatly increase diversity since everyone will have to customize a character more dynamically since they can only get so much speed.

You'd have to increase other stat bonuses to ensure that modding for speed comes at a cost of greatly losing damage or potency. Raid speeds would need to be ajdusted to compensate for the loss of speed and existing mods with speed secondaries would turn into other stats. The more speed they currently have the higher the stat bonuses they will receive.

It's time to stop using mods as nothing else but a speed boost and start using our heads and make choices to personalize a character to our playstyle and strategy.

Replies

• Options
    i too would like them to do something to eliminate the dominance of speed from mods. i'd rather they eliminate speed altogether from mods, but that's not feasible for a few reasons. i've wondered about the possibility of capping speed based on the character's base speed, say 50%, so if you're character's base speed is 120, you can get no more than 60 from mods.

getting that amount of speed from mods is fairly easy, so it would open up using them for other stats and even (gasp) using something other than speed arrows. crit avoidance could actually be quite useful, but with uncapped speed you're crazy to use anything other than speed in that arrow slot.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    They wouldn't, should not, and cannot just remove speed secondaries.

- it would destroy the player base.
    - if you only have access to the primary and speed bonus, you lose the ability to make turn order beyond the natural speed of the toon.
    - what they are doing is the correct method. Increase the other stats so they are all on par, not remove or reduce the one.
  • Vorgen
    254 posts Member
    Options
    If they did what you proposed with speed, might as well propose to scrap mods altogether because we would just end up with x hero with a 150 base speed to x hero with 150 + y speed but everyone would be able to get that same hero to the same exact speed. So might as well just keep that at 150.
  • Options
    as long as modding speed is unlimited and not subject to any kind of diminishing return, it will always be the dominant stat by a mile. what they're doing is helpful to a degree, but simply increasing the other stats is not sufficient to promote diversity because speed will remain as important as it always was. it will give a character a boost but will not provide a reason to move away from speed to other stats.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    as long as modding speed is unlimited and not subject to any kind of diminishing return, it will always be the dominant stat by a mile. what they're doing is helpful to a degree, but simply increasing the other stats is not sufficient to promote diversity because speed will remain as important as it always was. it will give a character a boost but will not provide a reason to move away from speed to other stats.

@metal_samurai can you explain how it is unlimited?

As far as I know all secondaries have a cap, all primaries have a cap and the set bonus is a fixed %. The set bonus is the closest to "unlimited" as it is based on a toons speed which technically speaking is not limited.

If you were here for the first roll out of mods with 7 dot mods, you would know that if they brought back those stats but didnt increase speed beyond what it is now, then people would be choosing other stats over speed left and right.

They are focusing on sets right now, and we will have to see how speed increases going to 6 dot mods and beyond, but they absolutely can make speed a secondary thought to other stats.
  • metal_samurai
    172 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    perhaps i should say essentially unlimited since the theoretical cap on speed secondaries is so rarely achieved, and if it is, who cares what the other stats are? they can increase those other stats all they want, but that won't make them any more important relative to the speed boost. you will still in most cases want to be faster than the other side.

i don't think you can entice people away from modding speed with a moderate increase to other stats. that action would have to be forced by realistically limiting speed on mods. otherwise the endless hunt for more speed on your mods will always overshadow other stats. i don't expect it happen certainly. i'm just saying their proposed action will not achieve what they claim to be their goal of increasing diversity.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    perhaps i should say essentially unlimited since the theoretical cap on speed secondaries is so rarely achieved, and if it is, who cares what the other stats are? they can increase those other stats all they want, but that won't make them any more important relative to the speed boost. you will still in most cases want to be faster than the other side.

i don't think you can entice people away from modding speed with a moderate increase to other stats. that action would have to be forced by realistically limiting speed on mods. otherwise the endless hunt for more speed on your mods will always overshadow other stats. i don't expect it happen certainly. i'm just saying their proposed action will not achieve what they claim to be their goal of increasing diversity.

They launched mods that were so good they invalidated all gear on the toon. I think they could easily make 30 speed (1 absolutely awesome speed secondary) a secondary thought with the right stat boost. I dont thjnk they will push it that far, but what they seem to be doing is going more of the "if everyone is super, then no one is" by what seems to be increasing the number of mods with all secondaries being able to max out. If they even out speed across the board to some extent it allows players to use speed to set turn order but actually makes other stats more important. An offense boost will be worth dropping a few speed.
  • Options
    I think they need to encourage working towards other stats than simply speed
  • Options
    Let's play a game. Which mod do you pick and why?

Myself, I'd pick the bottom over the top all day long.

Top or Bottom and why? 6c287x3r1got.jpg

How is that a debate lol, bottom hands down.
  • Options
    Oh, and op,
    Remove speed secondaries and allow for speed to only be gained through primaries and sets. You should incentivize players to look for stats other than speed. Perfectly good mods and being left unused all the time because they don't have high or speed secondary at all.

Removing speed from secondaries would greatly increase diversity since everyone will have to customize a character more dynamically since they can only get so much speed.

You'd have to increase other stat bonuses to ensure that modding for speed comes at a cost of greatly losing damage or potency. Raid speeds would need to be ajdusted to compensate for the loss of speed and existing mods with speed secondaries would turn into other stats. The more speed they currently have the higher the stat bonuses they will receive.

It's time to stop using mods as nothing else but a speed boost and start using our heads and make choices to personalize a character to our playstyle and strategy.

Horrible idea laddie, just horrible. You think you have seen forums ablaze lol, try this and see what happens.

Now as @Kyno mentioned, bring me some old school originals amd we will talk lol, even today’s mods, with the right stats are just as valuable over blanket speed modding
  • Options

How is that a debate lol, bottom hands down.

I'm just bored. lol But you're smart. Most people go for just speed, regardless if the other 3 secondaries are trash.

Yup, see that all the time . But, each to their own I suppose, I like having more then one beneficial stat boost on a mod, it makes a difference in the end .
  • Options

Depends? The bottom one is ok and the additional offense comes in handy. If I have 2 other mods available with 100+ additional offens I would take the top one because then speed is what I need more.
  • GroggY
    33 posts Member
    Options
    You get the Speed sec with 3 other sec. So is there any sec that you would say it is better than Speed?
    Sorry, as Long as you can get Speed as sec it will allways be number one.

So they can give all other stats a boost, thats nice because you have 3 sec alnge your Speed, so you grow to. But drop Speed for another sec that you have no Speed sec, sorry, but you must be kidding...

All stays the same: Speed > all other sec
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    Options
    I'd go top as well, depending. We talking Vader? Vader needs every single bit of speed you can give him above all else, any other stat doesn't matter. Or tanks? Tank don't need offence. There is no background here. Not every toon needs offence. EVERY toon needs speed.
  • Options
    Exactly.. Based on information available it is wrong question (not enough info) + wrong answer. If you pick bootom for (extreme example) Hermit Yoda, you picked wrong...
  • Options
    I think the proposed change is quite positive. Speed will still be an important factor on secondary stats of course probably to the point where it's required on nearly every mod you use.
    However, they are increasing the availability of high speed secondaries via slicing. This means we will have access to enough high speed secondaries for our arena teams to narrow the gap in speed between players. This means that all characters will be getting faster which reduces the impact of differences in speed secondary stats. (As an asside, G12+ 4/5 pieces also reduce the impact of speed secondaries for the same reasons)
    So yes you will still need speed secondaries, but, they will be much easier to get hold of meaning that speed gaps between players are reduced and other stats become the determining factor in winning matches.
    So in the example above, 14spd with rubbish other stats vs 8spd with some good stats wont be the choice any more. Instead the hypothetical choice could more often become something like 18-22spd with rubbish other stats vs 16-20spd with good other stats and with the relative contribution of a few points of speed being much less.
    That's all before even considering the boost being given to other stats relative to speed which could conceivably result in some mods being useful with no speed secondary (so long as it's made up for on other mods and depending on how drastic the changes turn out to be once we start trying them out).
    Disclaimer: this makes the assumption we will have enough resources to regularly slice mods which of course isn't guaranteed.
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    Options
    Essentially, if you are in the camp of no speed upgrades after slicing everything, and your arena is filled with people who sliced their speed up everytime, I feel that they better make the other stats really really good or the unlucky amongst us will be losing out so much more often after the mod update.
  • Options
    Yep, that's a real risk and could really shake up many arena ranks. Those that get the first few slices hitting speed will shoot up, those that don't will fall down. Eventually though (if slicing isn't too rare) then it'll even out and everyone will be getting those sliced speed secondaries at which point it balances out and speed gaps become smaller between many players. Hopefully! fingers crossed :)
  • Madpup
    279 posts Member
    Options
    I think the game would be better off without speed in the mods. This would make leadership's with speed boosts more important and would make other stats types in mods more important. However the genie is out of the bottle and you can't take speed out of mods where people have spent months farming said mods. CG would be opening themselves up to the largest overall mass refunding they have ever seen.
  • Options
    This would make speed sets the only viable set in the game. It would have the opposite effect that you want.