This is what makes Anakin so special

Prev1345678
Ascansio
270 posts Member
edited March 2016
Before elaborating on the thread, let's clarify a few things first. I want to mention a few words about on Anakin and the actor who portrays him, won't keep it long, no worries.

Hayden Christensen is a pretty good actor, he did well in prequels. If Lucas had written a better acript for him, he would shine even more.

Anakin's my fav hero in all SW saga, besides the fact that I met with the original trilogy in 1997 when it was a time for A New Hope's 20th anniversary and Special Editions of the ANH/ESB/ROTJ were shown in the theaters in that year. I was 11 years old and dazzled by the magic of them. Ever since, I'm just a hardcore fanboy of SW.

So I'm more of a original trilogy person but I'm also one of the guys who appreciates how the prequels connected the story of the whole thing and completed the circle as well. Of course the prequels has their own flaws in so many ways, but they don't deserve the hate they get by some fans, it's just not fair.

The Godfather: Part III is a subpar movie compared to the first 2 movies but that doesn't mean that it's a bad movie. Same thing applies with prequels vs originals.

Now back to the thread.

Anakin Skywalker.
Son of the Force.
The Chosen One.
Highest midi-chlorian rate any Jedi has ever had.
Was so close to reach his full potential to become the greatest Jedi Knight in the galaxy.
His injuries on Mustafar limited his physical abilities but made him stronger in the ways of the Force.

For a long time Anakin was so underrated in these forums. Because people just didn't farm him as it needed an ultimate grinding, so few of us saw his unique abilities.

His health pool is pretty vast, his damage is good. His unique with %90 turn meter gain with a taunt tank like Han Solo or Poe Dameron makes him go frenzy. But his most important trait lies in his basic.

Buff immunity.

Ladies and gentlemen, please check the screenshots of one of my arena games below.

You'll see what he did there.

m65p9V.png

qMRpzD.png

m65pn1.png

Because of his buff immunity, Leia couldn't go into stealth even though she used the skill to.

I'll post more screenshots to prove that he can also cripple tanks' taunt ability.

Buff immunity is a game breaker trait, I only saw that ability on Nightsister Acolyte besides Anakin.
Team Instinct - #1 PvP Powerhouse, dedicated with the strongest compassion to dominate.
Post edited by Ascansio on

Replies

• Options
    You mean Nightsister Initiate.
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • Skye
    795 posts Member
    Options
    There's no denying Anakin is a useful character... but the thing that lets him down is his AOE ability... A lot of people tend to discount basic abilities...

Old Daka has potentially one of the most powerful basic abilities because it can potentially double stun two enemies... Others are like Sidious' healing immunity.... Fives's speed down...

BUt like I said.. most people look at the non-basic attack, see it as weak and then dismiss the character...

Personally I do wish Anakin's AOE special hit just a wee bit harder! not much but just a little bit more
    Former crazy person of the guild "Shard Awakens"... *quit game 13th July 2016*

Game used to be fun when it wasn't a grind... if I wanted a grind I would have went and played old school Everquest or some Korean MMO!
  • warmonkey1024
    598 posts
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I've had him maxed out very soon after he was released. I have actually written a post that talks about how underwhelming he is.

His regular attack and decent speed are the only things that make him worth adding to a team. But keep in mind that he only has 55% potency and a 40% chance to apply those debuffs with his regular attack, which doesn't happen consistently enough for me to include him in my team.

His special "Smite" gives offense up when it lands a killing blow, which is rare due to its low damage. His unique is currently bugged. It provides multiple turns of offense up instead of a one time damage increase for his next attack.

Some players claims that he's viable in current meta but I just don't see it even after various teams I tried to form around him. Take your team for example:
    RG would greatly increase the survivability of your teammates, you can take out multiple characters on the opponents' team
    GS could probably one shot Yoda (or Leia if she decides not to go stealth) with his special
    Aayla brings a lot more utilities to the team, such as stun, assist, counter, and stronger survivability with self-heal.
    Poggle can provide Offense up without the need to land a killing blow, and even have a chance at ability block with his regular attacks.

Those are just a few examples I have in mind. My point is, he is not a bad character, he does bring something positive and useful to the team. But he is far from being a top tier character with his current abilitites because there are characters out there that could do what he does without all the hassles.
  • Options
    Hayden Christensen a good actor? :p
  • Options

He should have won an Oscar for "I hate them, I killed them all!" Nearly on the verge of tears. All I could think was... Sniveling kid, go save the Galaxy.
  • Ascansio
    270 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

We don't have to be on the same page, really. A lot of fans share my optimistic appraisal of his acting, Hayden nailed to deliver what it takes in so many scenes. He mimicked James Earl Jones' speeching so well. Managed to imitate the walking of Vader and his presence. I tell you this as a fan of original trilogy, I'm not one of those kids who met with Star Wars in the era of early 2000's and grew up watching prequels. I was in the business long before that, as I've told in the original post. You can try to look into it from a different perspective or just keep on mocking his "I don't like sand" line, which he has nothing to do actually. If some of his lines are not so qualified, it's Lucas' fault.

Enough with Hayden anyway.

@cosmicturtle333 Yep, sorry for my confusion. Initiate's special skill it is.

@Skye You're absolutely right. The only thing that I can complain for Anakin is his AOE subpar. Maybe he'll get a damage multiplier buff on it in a future patch?
    Team Instinct - #1 PvP Powerhouse, dedicated with the strongest compassion to dominate.
  • Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    Options
    Anakin is foreseen to have 4th or 5th best AOE at level 90 by SWGOH cantina
  • Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    Options
    Anakin is foreseen to have 4th or 5th best AOE at level 90 by SWGOH cantina
  • Options
    I've had him maxed out very soon after he was released. I have actually written a post that talks about how underwhelming he is.

His regular attack and decent speed are the only things that make him worth adding to a team. But keep in mind that he only has 55% potency and a 40% chance to apply those debuffs with his regular attack, which doesn't happen consistently enough for me to include him in my team.

His special "Smite" gives offense up when it lands a killing blow, which is rare due to its low damage. His unique is currently bugged. It provides multiple turns of offense up instead of a one time damage increase for his next attack.

Some players claims that he's viable in current meta but I just don't see it even after various teams I tried to form around him. Take your team for example:
    RG would greatly increase the survivability of your teammates, you can take out multiple characters on the opponents' team
    GS could probably one shot Yoda (or Leia if she decides not to go stealth) with his special
    Aayla brings a lot more utilities to the team, such as stun, assist, counter, and stronger survivability with self-heal.
    Poggle can provide Offense up without the need to land a killing blow, and even have a chance at ability block with his regular attacks.

Those are just a few examples I have in mind. My point is, he is not a bad character, he does bring something positive and useful to the team. But he is far from being a top tier character with his current abilitites because there are characters out there that could do what he does without all the hassles.

I have 6* anakin on my team and I finish first every day in my server. I can take down any team with Sid anakin and GS core. His AOE can do 5k per head if he has offense up. I think you underestimated it drastically. In my opinion, he is one of the top 3 characters in the game. I can't wait to see what he can do at 7*

• Big_Boss
    2326 posts Member
    Options
    Skye wrote: »
    There's no denying Anakin is a useful character... but the thing that lets him down is his AOE ability... A lot of people tend to discount basic abilities...

Old Daka has potentially one of the most powerful basic abilities because it can potentially double stun two enemies... Others are like Sidious' healing immunity.... Fives's speed down...

BUt like I said.. most people look at the non-basic attack, see it as weak and then dismiss the character...

Personally I do wish Anakin's AOE special hit just a wee bit harder! not much but just a little bit more

His AoE and overall damage is why everyone wants him to get a buff
  • Options
    21786181.jpg
  • Ascansio
    270 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    By the way, there's still something bugged in my screenshots.

Even though she couldn't go into stealth because of Anakin's buff immunity skill, she still gained %50 crit damage buff, which she shouldn't have.

Are the devs aware of this?

• Sikho
    1088 posts Member
    Options
    Reliability.
    It's something that is often core on balancing a game.
    Yes, his buff immunity is strong. But why would I take the risk to pick him? It's only a 40% chance.
    I'll be better off with someone else who has reliable abilities.

That's why Sid is so good, because his healing immunity is almost always applied.
    Well that and his insane damage, dodge against Jedi and self-healing. As well as his 88 synergy.
    But you get the point.
  • cosmicturtle333
    5004 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Sikho wrote: »
    Reliability.
    Yes, his buff immunity is strong. But why would I take the risk to pick him? It's only a 40% chance.

That's why Sid is so good, because his healing immunity is almost always applied.
    Well that and his insane damage, dodge against Jedi and self-healing. As well as his 88 synergy.
    But you get the point.

Well have fun using the same hero for the next few months as you have for the last few months. Some of us actually like to have fun trying out different techniques. But you just stick to your Sidious. I'm sure that's so exciting.

Edit: Cookie cutters give me the runs. Live a little.
    Post edited by Lightforce22 on
  • Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    Options
    Reliability.

But you get the point.

Sid has 0% potency, Anakin has 50something. Average tenacity is 35%. The difference is not so big as you think it is, and Anakin has TWO debuffs at 40% chance.

In any case, anakin strength is not his debuff. Itvis his de-facto taunt. If you attack other team members he'll smack you
  • Nonemo
    1656 posts Member
    Options
    It's the prequel trilogy. If a director can make Liam Neeson and Samuel L Jackson act like they were in fact made entirely out of wood, then it should come as no surprise that a young actor like Hayden Christensen won't do much better. An actor always has to trust and act upon the directing he receives in every scene. Anyhow...

What I like with JK Anakin is the sequence breaking. The chance to intervene and possibly break up an ongoing enemy barrage is what makes Royal Guard a great tank. Anakin does something similar, but in a more offensive way.
  • Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    Options
    Nonemo wrote: »

What I like with JK Anakin is the sequence breaking. The chance to intervene and possibly break up an ongoing enemy barrage is what makes Royal Guard a great tank. Anakin does something similar, but in a more offensive way.

This. Exactly this. Watch out for Magma trooper too.
    Interrupting the turn sequence is extremely powerful
  • Options
    It's the prequel trilogy. If a director can make Liam Neeson and Samuel L Jackson act like they were in fact made entirely out of wood, then it should come as no surprise that a young actor like Hayden Christensen won't do much better. An actor always has to trust and act upon the directing he receives in every scene. Anyhow...

I agree with the sequence breaking, but Anakin can only do so AFTER a teammate is defeated, where RG can step in immediately if a team member is under 50%. Anakin's unique should have similar activation requirements to RG's.
  • Toolio
    175 posts Member
    Options
    Why did you think it prudent to remind me that midi-chlorians exist?
  • Maskarii
    851 posts Member
    Options
    First at all Sid is great at this Point, but everyone is using him. He is the first Character I kill at every Team right after Poggle or Daka.

The Problem with Anakin is, #thisisAnakin not a Rebell or 08/15 Stormtrooper. I don't understand why Ahsoka and also Ani are so underpowered..different...We can pick a lot of other Chars and they better work together as Ani and Ahsoka... I am waiting for General Obi and i hope that a GS will not one shoot kill him...again and again...sometimes it feels like EA loves Droid more than Jedis and I know Jedis are not the only ones I'm the universe...but sith are working better together as Jedis...

well I hate English does somebody else speaks a different language :D
  • KoolKent
    154 posts Member
    Options
    Skye wrote: »

His next AoE ability upgrade is +15%
  • Ascansio
    270 posts Member
    Options
    Reliability.

But you get the point.

I have to object on this.

1) Sidious is included in the meta since the launch of the game. Yes he's fast. Yes his damage is fine. Yes he has self heal. BUT...

2) His Jedi dodge doesn't mean too much since you don't face many Jedi compositions around.

3) His healing immunity is not popular anymore since competitive pvp doesn't include healers at this stage.

I understand that you want to stick to solid toons but some of who play GOH since the soft launch got tired of using same heroes over again as @cosmicturtle333 mentioned. We want to discover new chars that are underrated. Anakin is one of them.

Absolutely true, my friend. Good points on Anakin.

And dor the directing of movies: George Lucas is proved with A New Hope that he's a good director but ultimately failed after 1999. You can blame so many factors. Abuse of CGI, poor dialogue writing and etc. But he's a great story teller, this whole saga is the product of his very imagination. What's especially wrong with prequels? Good story but bad dialogue.
    Toolio wrote: »
    Why did you think it prudent to remind me that midi-chlorians exist?

After watching The Phantom Menace in theater in 99 Spring, I was like you. "The Force was always described as a mystery in ANH and ESB, now what is this science description?"

Then, in 2005, I became a medical doctor. Got interested in cells and the organels inside too much as a part of my job. I started to like the midi chlorian explaination actually after this period. Because I realized that Lucas didn't touch the mystery of the Force at all. Chlorians are just an description of the way u communicate with that mystery. If you think it that way, you can also make your peace with midi chlorians. Even I managed to do that, so you can. They are canon, we've to accept that.
  • Options
    You lost me at "Hayden Christensen is a pretty good actor..."
  • Sikho
    1088 posts Member
    Options
    Reliability.

But you get the point.

Well have fun using the same hero for the next few months as you have for the last few months. Some of us actually like to have fun trying out different techniques. But you just stick to your Sidious. I'm sure that's so exciting.

Edit: Cookie cutters give me the sh**s. Live a little.

I don't own Sid and don't plan to do so.
    I'm merely stating why Anakin is having trouble fitting into competitive arena teams.

I agree with your vision of the game, and I'm currently building a clone squad in prevision of new clone toons, not because they are good or anything, but because clone troopers are my favourite characters in the SW universe.

Besides, he's not even a Nightsister, so why would you be upset ?
  • Sikho
    1088 posts Member
    Options
    Ascansio wrote: »
    Reliability.

But you get the point.

I have to object on this.

1) Sidious is included in the meta since the launch of the game. Yes he's fast. Yes his damage is fine. Yes he has self heal. BUT...

2) His Jedi dodge doesn't mean too much since you don't face many Jedi compositions around.

3) His healing immunity is not popular anymore since competitive pvp doesn't include healers at this stage.

I understand that you want to stick to solid toons but some of who play GOH since the soft launch got tired of using same heroes over again as @cosmicturtle333 mentioned. We want to discover new chars that are underrated. Anakin is one of them.

You are correct, his healing immunity and Jedi dodge are what ended the Jedi meta, but aren't what makes him good right now.
    My point still stands though : His reliability was an important factor, and Anakin was barely used in the Jedi heal meta, because his healing immunity wasn't reliable enough to get the job done.
  • J7000
    2059 posts Member
    Options

I agree with the sequence breaking, but Anakin can only do so AFTER a teammate is defeated, where RG can step in immediately if a team member is under 50%. Anakin's unique should have similar activation requirements to RG's.

Sure give Anakin his 90% tm once anyone falls below 50%. I bet no one would make fun of him then.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Tardis1205 wrote: »
    You lost me at "Hayden Christensen is a pretty good actor..."

Yeah, sorry, I have to agree here. I actually have pretty low standards when it comes to acting, it is rare that I actually think to myself "wow, that's some pretty bad acting there".. and it happened a lot with Christensen.
    Especially in Episode 3, which was a great movie despite his poor performance.
    I realize that in many cases he wasn't given much to work with, but neither was McGregor and he was fantastic.
    As for Anakin the hero in this game, jury is still out for me. I have him at 5* now and fairly well geared.. and so far I am not terribly impressed. That said, I am deliberately keeping his main attack at level 2 (for the Yoda challenge next week) and he may be a lot better with that bumped up.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Options
    off topic, but I loved the looks Mace Windu (Samuel L) gave Anii when he mouthed off..lol classic.
  • Options
    Wow, I see the potential, very cool. I like seeing unused toons being looked at in a new light.
    Thanks.

.. Now I need to dust off my Ani and get him some gear. :)
  • Options
    I own Anakin at 4* and 10 shards and only have one farming location open for him. I'm still going to build him up as I need jedi for yoda and although there are probably quicker options I can see he will have a spot on my team somewhere down the line.

But here's the problem.
    1. His smite is ridiculously difficult to pull off. It's hard to whittle down an enemy to a smidgeon of life and keep them there until he gets another turn.
    2. He isn't really that useful if your team stay alive as he doesn't get the bonus (however this is also the reason why I am training him - I for those harder battles where I know there will be deaths)
    3. His buff immunity percentage isn't that great and although it's on his basic it's still too unreliable. Especially when you have kylo and sid more effective at debilitating the enemy.
    UK/Euro guild - GrievousGenerals recruiting - lv85+ Discord @Starjumper#8384