Old Ben, useful?

I have been on the fence about Obi, I have a 5* GK in the works and wonder if his older self is worth developing past g9? Talk to me, is he worth zetas etc?

Replies

• Options
    One of the top 10 toons in the game when zetaed.

The regain taunt after losing taunt zeta is huge.

You can never have too many tanks.

• Options

so tons of protection (mods) and utilize as a tank?
  • Options

Protection and potency. And yes, because that's what he is.
  • Options

Protection and potency. And yes, because that's what he is.

I ask about tank because for a long time he was a suicide bomber, and you wanted him to be defeated for his group buff.
  • Options
    Traya makes GK useless so old ben has finally found his place. Especially in Jedi teams
  • Options
    His mind tricks ability is great. Once I get enough mk3 carbantis I’m going to bring him up to g10, I think he’s worth it. Definitely mod for protection or defense (especially with the boost defense is going to get soon).
  • Options
    ZCD_9915 wrote: »
    Traya makes GK useless so old ben has finally found his place. Especially in Jedi teams

Even in Bastilla squads?
  • Options
    I still can't decide between Old Ben and GK as my favourite. Got both at g12 and current using both under Bastila lead until I have Hoda ready then GK will probably get dropped.

Depends on who you are running and who you are facing.
  • Options

Even in Bastilla squads?

Yeah, traya isolates him a lot and that stops him from giving buffs or calling a mass assist. So all he has left is his taunt. Old ben has that too and can still use mind trick while isolated. And the buffs he gives when he dies would still go, or at least I think they do. I don't run ls so someone that does can confirm that.
  • Options
    Old Ben is super, super useful.

Mind Tricks is invaluable against debuffing teams.

I have much "better" tanks in my ranks but can't give him up. Just too good.
  • gufu21
    335 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    Options

Even in Bastilla squads?

Yeah, traya isolates him a lot and that stops him from giving buffs or calling a mass assist. So all he has left is his taunt. Old ben has that too and can still use mind trick while isolated. And the buffs he gives when he dies would still go, or at least I think they do. I don't run ls so someone that does can confirm that.

It's worse. I'm pretty sure you can't gain buffs out of turn under isolate, so GK can't taunt and just becomes a big paperweight. OB can still taunt under isolate (because it's during his turn) as well as use mind tricks. So for Bastila teams facing Traya, OB has become the better choice. But I think GK might still edge him out when not facing Traya. But OB is really not far behind now with the zeta on his taunt; even if fractured, he's still regain taunt, I believe.

• Options
    I still can't decide between Old Ben and GK as my favourite. Got both at g12 and current using both under Bastila lead until I have Hoda ready then GK will probably get dropped.

Depends on who you are running and who you are facing.

For me, until GK is maxed, Baze is my fav. So tough :)
  • Options
    I have been on the fence about Obi, I have a 5* GK in the works and wonder if his older self is worth developing past g9? Talk to me, is he worth zetas etc?

I do not have elite mods and my best mods are still on my NS, I am at top 200, I can easy enter the top 100 but only on Sundays which is the only day I can play before paytime, I have him at G9, under Bastila lead I do not think he needs more than that if you put some decent mods on him.
    I also suggest to try him for a bit before applying a zeta, his zeta sounds very good but I think others zeta are more important in a Bastila team, so not the main priority.
  • Stokat
    829 posts Member
    Options
    Darn these replies almost make me regret all the gear I invested in GK, maybe should have gone with OB instead. Oh well...
  • Options
    I've got Old Ben and General Kenobi both at Gear 12, and love both of them. Currently running GK under JTR, but back with I was using a CLS lead, OB was the much better option, especially when facing zPalp "Nightmare" teams. The ability to Taunt through a Fracture, and his Mind Tricks to put a stop to all of those Sith AoE Special Abilities was invaluable.

Old Ben was critical to my Arena team for at least half a year, maybe longer, and he's still useful in TBs and TWs. Love that toon. Well worth the gearing.

• Options
    Stokat wrote: »
    Darn these replies almost make me regret all the gear I invested in GK, maybe should have gone with OB instead. Oh well...

I've got a CLS lead. Was super excited to use GK instead of OB. Got him and used him twice I think. At this stage he doesn't take OB's place, no way.
  • Options
    Super fast OB plus R2 makes like a triple taunt. R2 smoke screens him first turn so he can use mind tricks first, then taunt after he wakes up from fracture or whatever.
  • Options
    Follow-up:

zmr5jxub4x9r.png

As you can see, I brought him to g12 (no zetas, yet) and he is truly a useful hero. Follow your own judgement, but he has proven to be a VERY useful Tool. Old or New ;)
  • Options
    Planning Flourish zeta soon too?
  • Options
    Vendi1983 wrote: »
    Planning Flourish zeta soon too?

yeah, last zeta I obtained went to Bb8 RWTP :D
  • Options
    Nice! I think I'll do SPP first as we're a ways away from HSTR with JTR.
  • Options
    Vendi1983 wrote: »
    Nice! I think I'll do SPP first as we're a ways away from HSTR with JTR.

Roll with the punches is awesome, call Bb8 as an assist to JTR, either she goes again or in my case Scav Rey or RT.