Bastila working as intended?

Prev13
First off, I’m going to try and keep this as constructive as possible. I am in a November 2017 shard so what I’m going to say may not apply to old shards. We just got our first Traya with another half dozen or so expected this week. The player in the screenshot below reached 5th place in the EST payout today. We are a highly competitive shard, mostly all on discord, running either nightmare or JTR until recently.

5th place for this team (it shows 20 because I didn’t immediately take a screenshot and he’s dropped since then) is absolutely ridiculous. Let me state that I have no problem with meta shifts. What I have an issue with is a squad with far less gear, far less stars, and FAR worse mods getting that high. It completely negates the hard work, time, and in some cases money money people spend. Now I don’t blame the player at all. Good on him for doing that well. He’s just playing with the tools CG gave him. Also, I would have absolutely no issue if his team was all 7 stars, or close, g12, or close, and with equivalent mods to other top 10 teams, or close. The fact remains though he has a 4 star character, a 5 star character, a g10 character and 4 g11 characters. His average speed from mods is in the 70s to 80s. He’s beating teams that are all 7 star, all g12 with g12 and even g12+ pieces, and average speeds in the 100s to 110s, sometimes higher.

I’m sorry but that should not happen. Not only is it extremely frustrating for the people that have worked tremendously hard to get to top 10, but it’s also bad for the game itself. CG has to make money for the game to survive. Why spend money when you can do just fine with a team that isn’t well geared, isn’t starred up, and is using subpar mods?

Let me address some of the comments that are sure to be posted:

1. Once people start getting Traya this team won’t be able to beat it. That’s fine for old shards but in newer shards getting in a hsr guild is not exactly easy. This guy for example has 860k gp. I have 1.9 million, will have Traya this week, and am In The top 5-10 gp wise for comparison. Only two guilds in our shard are farming Traya that I’m aware of, meaning Traya is not going to hit our shard in bulk for many MONTHS.
2. You’re just upset because you’re getting beat. Yes and no. I’m not mad at the player. Good for him. I actually commend him for making the most with what he has. I’m upset because I feel like all the time, money, and effort has been wasted.
3. Metas shift. Well ya, and like I said I’d be totally fine if Bastila Jedi were the new meta if they required the gear, mods, and stars that all the previous metas required. Nightmare and Jtr would not be top 10 in the previous metas with 70 speed mods and g10 characters.

So how do you fix it? Really the only issue is the tenacity with the zeta. It negates almost everything other squads are built around. The tenacity needs to be lowered or changed to something else.

s20a95ttariu.jpeg

Replies

• Turvantus
    223 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Telling me a 1.9m Traya farmer doesn’t have a Nightsister team? They walk on Jedi. Rock Paper Scissors.

Additionally, you said it yourself; you’re about to have Traya soon. You paid to be many moons ahead of anyone else on your shard, yet you’re here and no one else is...

Pity party left you all by your lonesome it seems.

PS; it’s not like the guy didn’t do work. He has all the right zetas so far, and good synergy.

It’s been mentioned before that stars don’t make an arena team, gear and mods do (plus good synergy).

Also, let it be known that before meta shift it was nothing but Dark Side mirror matches.

Within that time, on my young shard I was still able to beat full 7* g12 zeta teams with nothing but my pitiful full 7* g10 version, with no zetas.

Want to know why? Race to the TM gains wins. Nothing else mattered. Sure other things help, but core mechanics of a squad you just can’t change. Making your complaint kinda moot.
  • Options
    He’s using a hard counter, what’s wrong with him winning on offence? In return, you should be able to beat that team easily on offence even with a nightmare team. He’ll fall farther than you. Being mad at this is like being mad at people using raid Han or Rex to win.
  • Options
    Turvantus wrote: »
    Telling me a 1.9m Traya farmer doesn’t have a Nightsister team? They walk on Jedi. Rock Paper Scissors.

Additionally, you said it yourself; you’re about to have Traya soon. You paid to be many moons ahead of anyone else on your shard, yet you’re here and no one else is...

Completely missed what I wrote. Please reread what I said. First off I have no problem beating Bastila teams. Second, I have no problems with Bastila teams being some of the best teams for arena. Again, read what I wrote. My issue is the fact that they don’t have to geared, modded, or starred like every other team does. If that was a g12 Bastila team with decent mods, this post would not have been created. Paper rock scissors is great. Paper pebble scissors is not.
  • Zinke7
    194 posts Member
    Options
    And you are very competitive shard mostly all on discord. Get real. You are as competitive as last year's snow and that is why most of you are on discord.
    I bet you even fight on auto play and if that was taken away from you than you would not know what each skill form your great characters does.

Only problem I have is that he is using Thrawn instead of another Jedi.

Speed mods are not Holy Grail of mods and other mods are not garbage. Tenacity, potency and even critical avoidance mods are just important.

For example I roll with tank with speed 92 and it works just fine as he is little bit late to taunt but by the time he taunts auto play has already wasted all of its dispelling and then its 7 or 8 turns for my DPSers go all out on other team. One of my DPSer is Ahsoka Tano and I got her speed up to 112 only but loaded her with crit damage and crit chance and she gets her attacks from assist calls (kind of like FO Executioner).

Bottom line is you guys are gonna have to stop playing quasi "cookie-cutter" speed builds and start thinking how to counter new threat. Those who succeed will keep their ranks and those who fail will drop out.
  • Ikky2win
    870 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Don’t need to start thinking of ways to counter new threat. Are you kidding? Everything beats that team on offense. Jtr, nightmare, night sisters, etc. Heck I could 4 man that team.

Again, completely missed my point.
  • Huatimus
    3669 posts Member
    Options
    Exact same thing happened when NS became the meta and people could use G2 green geared zombie to climb in Arena. Won’t be the first time and won’t be the last time, got to accept the fact that CG must keep shifting the meta with new Marquee characters and roll around in their Galaxy of $$$. If you can recognise this pattern, my best advice is to keep hoarding resources and jump in at the next new meta shift.
  • Options
    Lol, you quote half my post yet tell me to re-read your rant.

Kids.
  • Options
    Yes Bastila is WAI, and WAD, sorry you can’t see that. Have fun with Traya .
  • Options
    Huatimus wrote: »
    Exact same thing happened when NS became the meta and people could use G2 green geared zombie to climb in Arena. Won’t be the first time and won’t be the last time, got to accept the fact that CG must keep shifting the meta with new Marquee characters and roll around in their Galaxy of $$$. If you can recognise this pattern, my best advice is to keep hoarding resources and jump in at the next new meta shift.

This is the part I don’t get. I agree with you that they are going to keep adding new Marquee characters trying to make money, but they did just the opposite here. They added a new character that requires no money. You don’t have to star up Bastila and you barely have to gear, mod, or Star the team around her. Certainly not to the point you had to in other metas. Nightmare is a pretty good example. Sure you could do well with a four star sion, but the team around him needed to be geared and modded decently. With jedi you don’t need stars, gear, or good mods.
  • Options
    Nightmare was super easy to put together compared the JTR meta that it replaced.
  • Options
    Also, I don’t consider this the same as paper zombie. Paper zombie was a strategy where you intentionally didn’t gear one character to make the strategy work. That’s not the case here. The Bastila Jedi teams are not built around a strategy that involves intentionally not gearing a character.
  • Roopehunter
    1188 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I also dislike zBastilla comps for their cheapness, but I think its your shards fault allowing that to happen. Everyone with an ns or jtr team could defeat them, which probably your top200 has, and they dont attack him?

Alternatively, they may, in which case, the only logical explanation is that he pays for a lot of refreshes. Well, as clearly a pay-to-win person yourself, it would be very hypocrite to bash him for spending money to get an advantage.. Cause thats exactly what you do. The only difference is that he's actually doing it much smarter than you. Less money, higher PO.
  • Options
    Actually i agree with topic poster 100%. I am in Januari 18 shard and 1 person in shard have Traya and 2 other persons soon have (1 of is me). In the top 20 the teams are actually realy good and we run different teams, its some more nightmare teams but we now got nightsisters, rey jay teams,rex teams with wampas, old rebels(better then expected with good mods), and now lately bastilla teams.

Whut has happened is that all teams gone to g12 in entire squads started adding g12 pieces and farm good mods. Most on the shard have good mods (110+speed is alot for 7 months old shard).

But now suddenly some teams who never been close to top 50 getting into top 5 and some cases top 1. Whut they have in common is they are free to play, low gear (some g9 or g10) and with terrible mods.

This has led to frustration couse most in top 20 before worked realy hard and spent alot of IRL money for small upgrades on their arena team and now these Bastilla teams who are like 4-5 months farm from devolpment of the top 20 (g12, g12 pieces and good mods) taking same spots.

I see there is a terrible balance when it comes to how easy and good the bastilla teams can get with little effort. I understand rock sissor system is good for game but this Bastilla teams requires very little effort or planning to be top team.
  • Bz183
    170 posts Member
    Options
    I agree with OP %100. ReRead his post.

You all are making comebacks saying "zBS is easy to beat change your team" that's not the point he is making.

Answer this...
    Do you think its healthy for the game for a partly under g11 squad with 1 zeta and comparatively subpar mods to walk all over g12 zetad out squads all the way to top 5?
  • Options
    Ikky2win wrote: »
    Also, I don’t consider this the same as paper zombie. Paper zombie was a strategy where you intentionally didn’t gear one character to make the strategy work. That’s not the case here. The Bastila Jedi teams are not built around a strategy that involves intentionally not gearing a character.

Paper Zombie isn't what was referred to. (I don't think.) Very soon after RJT came out Mother Talzin came out. Most people didn't have Nightsisters geared when this happened. It lead to many NS teams with a 4* MT and G9 and 10 on the others making top 20 easily in arena. 75k NS teams auto battling 100k RJT teams.

Not much different here with Bastilla.

I don't see much of a problem. It keeps more players interested and engaged.
  • Bz183
    170 posts Member
    Options
    jhbuchholz wrote: »

Paper Zombie isn't what was referred to. (I don't think.) Very soon after RJT came out Mother Talzin came out. Most people didn't have Nightsisters geared when this happened. It lead to many NS teams with a 4* MT and G9 and 10 on the others making top 20 easily in arena. 75k NS teams auto battling 100k RJT teams.

Not much different here with Bastilla.

I don't see much of a problem. It keeps more players interested and engaged.

MT and crew came out around Halloween bud. RJT in December...
  • Options
    Well it's the same as fleet. Much weaker fleets(lesser investment fleets) can beat much stronger, more invested in teams.

That's how they encourage more spending. By competition.

As for if bastilla is wai. The answer is no. Listen, here's what happened.

Bastilla was released.
    2 days the GC play around with it.
    Say they can easily beat palp nightmare w/o traya. Can't beat trayas.
    And MobileGamer(GC) adds "Yeah sure, they can't beat traya. But the devs also acknowledged that traya is a hard to get character , and shouldn't be triumphed by a marquee toon."

Now people notice her leadership isn't working. They fix it. It starts working. It wrecks trayas.

Now speculation:-

But by now, they can't nerf her. Many people have already whaled on her. It would only cause more backlash. They realise that all their testing was done with a bugged bastilla who's lead wasn't working and now it's too late to make it WAI.

So yeah, my two cents.
    But maybe it is WAI? Maybe they are just greedy? I won't scratch out the possibility of that either. ;D

Ps. Congrats on traya! I'm still a week away from her, you whale! ;P

• Options
    I also dislike zBastilla comps for their cheapness, but I think its your shards fault allowing that to happen. Everyone with an ns or jtr team could defeat them, which probably your top200 has, and they dont attack him?

Alternatively, they may, in which case, the only logical explanation is that he pays for a lot of refreshes. Well, as clearly a pay-to-win person yourself, it would be very hypocrite to bash him for spending money to get an advantage.. Cause thats exactly what you do. The only difference is that he's actually doing it much smarter than you. Less money, higher PO.

In a November 17 shard I highly doubt there are 200 people with JTR. I'm in a Dec 17 shard and there are only a handful of players with more than one arena-viable team.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299
  • Options
    My shard is about 21 months old and there’s almost 20 Bastila teams in the top 50, as opposed to 15 Trayas. Lots of people are using Bastila because she is a great counter to Palpatine. A slightly undergeared new meta team can beat a well geared old meta team. Maybe you don’t consider Bastila to be meta, but she’s definitely an efficient team.
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    Options
    @Ikky2win do we still have bastilla lead teams with sub 60 speed in mods breaking top 10. There was one with sub 40 speed on one character that broke top 10 recently wasnt there.

Anyway to put the problems another way

2 zetas vs 5 zetas
    G10/11 vs g12/12+
    Sub 70 speed mods vs +110 speed

On offense my nightmare team wins. 5 manual moves then auto. On defense i fall and it kind of sucks but thats life.

A friend of mine in an old shard climbed from rank 200 to rank 50 on bastilla opponents with a g9 qira nest +3 all three stars team for fun.

That said i believe that even when meta shifts g10 with worse mods should not be able to run over g12 with better mods. It should require a built team not maxed but somewhat close in order to run over an old meta.
  • Ace0187420
    104 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Yeah it's ridiculous, that 1 zeta makes the team. Shouldn't be able to climb without the other pieces to the puzzle. Mods and gear and what not, that kinda goes against what cg core moto and the reason that zombie is looking at being reworked.

I have 7 star traya completely maxed and my whole arena team averages +120 speed for me to be getting beaten by a 4 star toon and some under geared others with subpar mods is ridiculous. A ftp 4 star toon with very little investment can beat the hardest toon to get in the game and that's just complete trash imo. Doesn't require superior mods or maxed characters or the investment all other arena teams require. That to me seems broken.
  • Options
    The talk of having to have equally geared squads means nothing. Basics of turn based rpgs, going back over 20 years, one strength against another's weakness means you don't need equal gearing. Charmander v bulbasaur for example (the most basic eg). Bastilla negates the debuff advantage of the opponent among other things, she's not useful outside of the leadership role so isn't overpowered, just the new rock used to blunt the sith scissors...
  • Bz183
    170 posts Member
    Options
    BrekRegis wrote: »
    The talk of having to have equally geared squads means nothing. Basics of turn based rpgs, going back over 20 years, one strength against another's weakness means you don't need equal gearing. Charmander v bulbasaur for example (the most basic eg). Bastilla negates the debuff advantage of the opponent among other things, she's not useful outside of the leadership role so isn't overpowered, just the new rock used to blunt the sith scissors...

But should a lvl 20 squirtle destroy a lvl 85 charizard? I think they messed up balance a little here
  • Options
    Let's be honest CG was not going to keep palpatine the main leader for the meta you should've been expecting something like this and bastila brought balance to the force(meta)
  • Options
    You are right, topic posted, but it would be even worse for the player if they nerfed Bastilla. Imagine how they would feel after spending money and zetas into a team that then is no longer meta. Same as you feel right now, but probably worse.
    I AM the High Ground
  • Options
    Turvantus wrote: »

Completely missed what I wrote. Please reread what I said. First off I have no problem beating Bastila teams. Second, I have no problems with Bastila teams being some of the best teams for arena. Again, read what I wrote. My issue is the fact that they don’t have to geared, modded, or starred like every other team does. If that was a g12 Bastila team with decent mods, this post would not have been created. Paper rock scissors is great. Paper pebble scissors is not.

When you have been playing for a few more years you will realize this is nothing new. You have even made reference to it in other replies.

General Kenobi, Sion, Traya, all are very good toons at low star levels and gear 12.

Bastila, Finn, and a few others are good simply for their zeta leadership ability

And then there is zombie that is actually better when low gear low stars and low level.

In short the game has a few pockets of toons that don't require you to whale to make use of them and seeing as how you are 1.9 million GP in less than a year I can see why it chaps you that there are a couple of alternatives to whaling in the game. But if there were not you would find a game with not players pretty boring.
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    Options
    Sparrow wrote: »

When you have been playing for a few more years you will realize this is nothing new. You have even made reference to it in other replies.

General Kenobi, Sion, Traya, all are very good toons at low star levels and gear 12.

Bastila, Finn, and a few others are good simply for their zeta leadership ability

G12 your right exactly right. Kenobi/soin/treya need good gear. Bastilla seems to be able to climb with a few g9s in the team.

Finn is good for his leadership ability but you usually need Poe in the team to generate exposes and modded to win a speed race. That means good mods and good gear on Poe.

Bastilla doesnt seem to need anyone with good mods to climb.
  • Options
    Naraic wrote: »
    Sparrow wrote: »

G12 your right exactly right. Kenobi/soin/treya need good gear. Bastilla seems to be able to climb with a few g9s in the team.

Finn is good for his leadership ability but you usually need Poe in the team to generate exposes and modded to win a speed race. That means good mods and good gear on Poe.

Bastilla doesnt seem to need anyone with good mods to climb.

This. If it was one character that didn’t need good gear/stars/mods etc. then hey no biggie. It’s the fact that the leader ability zetaed makes it so the entire team doesn’t have to be well geared/starred/modded that makes it so bad. We’re seeing people with multiple g9, not 7 starred, awful modded characters make it into top 10. This makes all the time, effort, and in some cases yes money, spent seem pointless.

I’m not just saying this because I’m a whale. I currently share my payout with a guy who is almost, if not fully, F2P. He has been doing enough to get first place with a non 7 star, g11 sion, and i was happy to welcome him to the first place payout rotation. We have a 3 person rotation; 1 whale, 1 dolphin, 1 F2P. The F2P just got sion to 7 Star g12 within the last week or 2 and he’s just as upset about this as I am. He was very excited when he finally got sion to g12 and 7 stars and a week later his team is getting demolished by squads with multiple g9, 4-5 Star, awfully modded teams.

Again, I understand the meta shifting and certain teams being counters to others. My issue is they introduced a character that makes the rest of her squad not need to be geared, starred, or modded well to be at the TOP of the arena bracket. If it was just Bastila that didn’t need to be geared, starred, or modded, I would have absolutely no issues with this.