Why I stopped slicing mods to 6*

Replies

• Options
    Austin9370 wrote: »
    Doesn't it go against "the spirit of the game" to not want to upgrade mods because they will be less valuable to some players?

Rhetorical question.

Ahhhhhh I see what you did there. Crafty.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Ugnaught wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    The first time this restriction became apparent to me was when I tried to switch my arena mods on to BH for chewie, just as you say. In game, as opposed to on here, I'm not sure it ever said this was the case.

EwokViolence

7hxc5syok38b.jpg

This came up when it was first introduced and it was discussed....
    https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/180515/6-dot-mods-can-only-be-equipped-by-g12/p4

I guess you're not big on reading posts that you reply to. It wasn't announced in the game. May have been announced on here, which I joined last week. Last I checked forum membership isn't a precursor to playing.

As stated by the post above, every in game message about an update contains a "go to the forums for more details". You dont need to be a member to get those details, its an open forum to read, you only need to join to comment.

So what your saying is that reading the forum is indeed a precursor to playing. Understand that a large portion of the player base simply doesn't do that.
    So I guess that will have to figure it out the hard way....

What I am saying is that the in game message gives you some details and offers more on the forum. Choosing not to look further into a situation does not make it anyone else fault if you missed some detail, either minor or important.

The level of game play and involvement of a player is the players choice.
  • Options
    The goal of 6-dot mods is to incentivize you to collect more sets instead of moving around the same set a whole bunch of times. You farm mods for a specific character, then once you reach g12 with then you improve those mods—you even know ahead of time (if you want to do the math) what the stats on the improved mod will be.

Long story short, the solution to mod swapping is farming more mods.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Options
    I dont move mods around, because all of them suck hard, moving them to another char makes little difference.
    You are very lucky to have some super mods.
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    Options
    NicWester wrote: »
    The goal of 6-dot mods is to incentivize you to collect more sets instead of moving around the same set a whole bunch of times. You farm mods for a specific character, then once you reach g12 with then you improve those mods—you even know ahead of time (if you want to do the math) what the stats on the improved mod will be.

I managed 1 mod at +20 speed after 2 years of farming. I'm not going to live long enough to farm good sets to take to 6 dots, and have plenty of good sets left to leave at 5 dots. I'm doing just fine in arena as is. I see no reason to spend resources on making my mods harder to use.

The only way they will get me to change is to strong arm us by making 6 dot mods an arbitrary barrier to some game mode. 6 dot mods required on all toons for the next TB map or something.
  • shb
    49 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

I've been farming mods since they released, and i'm still farming mods

I'm not about to take the best and most exciting, powerful utility I have and then limit them to a small subset of my roster.

No I'm choosing to not slice 5E mods so that I can retain the ability to put those on my lower star and gear'd characters so I can use them to improve my chances at getting character releases like Chewbacca.
    Or use them to clear battles in TB.
    Or use them to raise a TW team.

The solution is not to farm more mods. the good mods I get, I still will not want to restrict them to my g12 characters. it changes nothing.
  • Beyol
    328 posts Member
    Options
    I feel like they get this right with only 7* g12 to be able to have the 6 dot mods. Reason being is the work put into getting them to such a point, both character and mod, should only be used by the toons that have made it to such a place. I only have made one such mod and still can't use it.
  • Atlas1
    1713 posts Member
    Options
    If Mk5 stun guns appeared once every blue moon, I’d have a lot more G12 toons to drop 6dot mods on...
  • Options

Possibly. It' snot a wrong way to look at it.

But I had 2 g12 BH's - and 3 g11 BHs. However, all 5 BH's could currently get my best arena mods and deliver me a 7* Chewie. Bottom line. There was no way I was going to "farm more" in a few days to get more arena mods.....
    Austin9370 wrote: »
    Doesn't it go against "the spirit of the game" to not want to upgrade mods because they will be less valuable to some players?

Rhetorical question.

Exactly. The Chewie legendary as shown me, for one, to be DAYUM careful what mods I 6* - if any......

I guess it's in "the spirit of the game" if it makes make CG a buck, eh?
    #AcolyteShootsTwice
  • Options
    Atlas1 wrote: »
    If Mk5 stun guns appeared once every blue moon, I’d have a lot more G12 toons to drop 6dot mods on...

No kidding. Based on what we've seen int he Chewie event, and with the general philosophy behind 6* mods, it seems CG is either vastly overestimating how many characters the general player base has at G12.

That, and they play test everything on Whale accounts, so this stuff never occurs to them.
  • Options
    I would say you have a point... I upgraded Delgar to G12 for the Chewie even just to get access to my 6dot mods. Similar with my Zombie.

6 Dot mods do offer a-lot more firepower for certain mods. Actually if your upgrading mods to 6dot, you get your best "bang for your buck" upgrading mods with lower secondary speed. I.E. mods with %offense get more benefit.
  • Options
    JaggedJ wrote: »
    JacenRoe wrote: »
    The devs can do whatever they want. But the way they have things set up now I have no interest in 6 dot mods. The modulators to upgrade them can't be farmed by any other means than guild currency, which is the only thing that keeps the gear grind anywhere near manageable. To get 6 dot mods for just one team of characters is 90,000 guild currency.

And if I'm going to sacrifice an absurd amount of gear to get a mod increase I want the mod to actually be better. The bump in stats is not worth losing the versatility of being able to use it on whomever I want. So I see absolutely no need to have any at the moment. They have put too high a price on them accompanied by a giant downside. So I will simply not use them.

Here we go. Saves me saying it too.

All I've been doing is farming salvage and taking my green/blue/purple mods that have speed secondaries up to gold. Been getting some great results from it too. Haven't given 6* mods a second thought, especially based on the cost versus gear sacrifice I'm simply not willing to do.

Yes I agree,have only modded 2 6 dot mods. Whilst your at changing this, drop the interchangeable charge to swap mods. or increase currency across the board. Thanyou
  • Options
    Well, ok. Lets take a step back and consider the following:
    Getting a toon to 7* is actually very easy. 5 phoenix, 5 jedi, 5 first order and 5 empire toons, at the least is what everyone gets working towards Yoda, Trawn, Palpy, BB8 and R2D2. Add the 5 farmed through the events and you end up worse case scenario with 25 7* toons.
    Next, whoever you use in TB, TW, and especially in raids you will want to get to G12 asap, so you do not do G12 for the mods, you do it to be actually competitive everywhere. And yes, it takes time.
    Finally, mods farming. OK, you select whichever Tier III challenge node you need and do that like 20 times a day, of which 80% are 5* mods, and of which around every 20th is a golden one. Among the golden ones, you pick whichever has speed secondary (and a speed primary for the arrow). All other mods are useless and can be sold to quickly provide gold.
    So in a couple of months (and 4-5 times faster with some cashing) you end up having EVERYTHING you need to not only equip sliced mods but actually greatly benefit from them (since you have only upgraded the best mods you could get and equipped them on your top team).
    So why you think the above is not exactly what the developers intended and properly implemented, and why do you believe it is not doable for any sane player?
  • shb
    49 posts Member
    Options
    Altazarus wrote: »
    Getting a toon to 7* is actually very easy. 5 phoenix, 5 jedi, 5 first order and 5 empire toons, at the least is what everyone gets working towards Yoda, Trawn, Palpy, BB8 and R2D2. Add the 5 farmed through the events and you end up worse case scenario with 25 7* toons.
    Next, whoever you use in TB, TW, and especially in raids you will want to get to G12 asap, so you do not do G12 for the mods, you do it to be actually competitive everywhere. And yes, it takes time.
    Finally, mods farming. OK, you select whichever Tier III challenge node you need and do that like 20 times a day, of which 80% are 5* mods, and of which around every 20th is a golden one. Among the golden ones, you pick whichever has speed secondary (and a speed primary for the arrow). All other mods are useless and can be sold to quickly provide gold.
    So in a couple of months (and 4-5 times faster with some cashing) you end up having EVERYTHING you need to not only equip sliced mods but actually greatly benefit from them (since you have only upgraded the best mods you could get and equipped them on your top team).
    So why you think the above is not exactly what the developers intended and properly implemented, and why do you believe it is not doable for any sane player?

They way they have done 6* mods is NOTHING like what they have done in the past for power creep.

Taking a character to 7* you lose nothing, only gain.
    Taking a character to g12 you lose nothing, only gain.
    Taking a mod to 5A you lose nothing, only gain.
    Taking a mod to 6E you lose a lot of utility and flexibility that mods offer.

The point is, that utility and flexibility is more valuable to me than 6E mods right now because i do not have an extensive g12 roster. So because of that my high speed mods are not going to get sliced to 6E any time soon.

It's not about time constraints. It's not about intention. It's not about what's fair. It's about what's good for me as a player. And I'm saying it's not good for the players, especially free to play or new players who can't or won't just take the characters to g12 when they need them.

I'm suggesting the devs revisit this restriction and at least consider leaving it for g11/7* characters or something that gives people a little more flexibility. Because as it is, slicing a 6E mods means you lose the ability to put that on a lot of characters in a young roster.
  • Options
    shb wrote: »

The point is, that utility and flexibility is more valuable to me than 6E mods right now because i do not have an extensive g12 roster. So because of that my high speed mods are not going to get sliced to 6E any time soon.

It's not about time constraints. It's not about intention. It's not about what's fair. It's about what's good for me as a player. And I'm saying it's not good for the players, especially free to play or new players who can't or won't just take the characters to g12 when they need them.

It's not just now, though. The Traya example - you unlock her at 5* in a few months from now - you're not only well behind in starring her, and thus gearing, but also, if you made all your best arena mods 6*, you can't put them on her either.

Going forward is exactly the issues with 6* mods and I really can't believe it hasn't been handled by the devs yet.

I think we'd all be okay with g11. It's a stretch, maybe, but it's not a wall.
    #AcolyteShootsTwice
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    Options
    Altazarus wrote: »

I believe it's exactly what the devs intended. That's fine. But the benefits for me don't outweigh the costs.

And as a player who started less than a month after launch, worked up to being competitive in arena within 6 months, has locked down top 5 in arena for over two years, has been in competitive guilds consistently, and who hoards everything before planning carefully how to spend it in a manner bordering on a psychiatric disorder... I'd say I'm in WAY better position to make use of 6 dot mods than an average player. And it's still so steep a barrier of entry, and so severe a downside, and such a modest benefit that it's just not worth it.

As an example, I've hoarded gear for several months (4-5 at least) in anticipation of whatever event was next. I've purchased it with every currency I have according to where you can acquire each item most efficiently, and didn't spend one single item on any character. I already had 2 Bounty Hunters at gear 11. One of them was a single piece from gear 12. The others were gear 7-9. With all that saved (7 cuffs, 3-4 Rancor raid pieces each, 5 guns, 13 carbantis, 7 yellow eyeballs, etc) I managed to take the whole team to gear 11, and could have gotten one to gear 12. Then I barely scraped through the Chewie event with +100 speed at least on all with ideal sets/primaries for each character. I barely got a win after over 100 tries with one nearly dead character getting insane RNG repeatedly to limp over the finish line.

I ONLY got Chewie because I did NOT 6 dot any of my best mods. I can't afford to g12 any team at the drop of a hat for any surprise event like this. Especially if it costs 90,000 guild currency to buy enough modulars for a single team's mods to all go to 6 dots. Gear 12 is still a very difficult wall with all my resources going to just gear. That's not counting all the other mod slicing materials. So I am choosing not to slice to 6 dots. There may be a tiny number of very specific mods that are specific to a character/situation that I might consider. But overall it's an unreasonable barrier for a large number of players to do with their best mod sets.

I'm not going to gripe to get it changed. I'm doing great in arena, raids, and other places without 6 dot mods. It is what it is, and what it is to me is a whale toy that I choose not to use.
  • Fredy5
    328 posts Member
    Options
    After the Chewie event, which I needed to use my Arena mods and I can't because of the G12 restrictions. I stopped slicing 6. I don't have a Dev account with hundreds of G12 like most of players....
  • Options
    Vendi1983 wrote: »
    Well then in that case, ignorance is in the eye of the Casual Player? If you don't learn the details then find out otherwise, don't complain that they didn't beat you over the digital head with a specific requirement.

That doesn't change the assertion that g12 shouldn't be used to restrict for only 6* mods. How do you respond to that?
  • Options
    Aplus wrote: »
    I thought about this, and honestly I cannot be more thankful for the restriction.

6 star mods should be the killing mod, the ace card, the very best thing that shines through when both you and your enemies’ squad are equivalently strong that the 6E mods just give you that slight upperhand/ advantage.

Without the restriction on g12, you will start seeing low level whales with level 50 toons at g7 running 6 6E mods and destroying everyone in the arena. By keeping it strictly g12, it minimizes the impact on the general gameplay ecosystem while allowing end game players and whales have something to pursuit after.

Um... People have already answered this by lowering the restriction to g11 only. Also if they were true whales, they would be at g12 7* and they can buy 40 of those 6* slicing mats twice a week, so I think you meant that the restrictions are worse.
  • Options
    This is why I have ZERO 6dot mods.
  • Options
    Zanads wrote: »
    CG is either vastly overestimating how many characters the general player base has at G12.

They literally know exactly how many g12 characters people have.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Options
    IMO make your fastest set 6e. Leave your next fastest set 5 dot. Go from there. That's like 3 or 4 months worth of slicing anyway as a f2p.
  • Options
    CG is either vastly overestimating how many characters the general player base has at G12.

True, but they have proven to be fairly bad at inferential statistics 101 in the past. Furthermore, they are absolutely terrible about looking at raw numbers without then also investigating PRACTICAL impact. If they were better at both, they would get a lot less backlash from their decisions.

...or they're doing it on purpose to make money, and **** us, that's why.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

True, but they have proven to be fairly bad at inferential statistics 101 in the past. Furthermore, they are absolutely terrible about looking at raw numbers without then also investigating PRACTICAL impact. If they were better at both, they would get a lot less backlash from their decisions.

...or they're doing it on purpose to make money, and **** us, that's why.

It's that last sentence. As someone astutely pointed out earlier in the thread, there will be (in the not-to-distant future) a raid/marquee character that will be arena meta at 5*. But the only people who will be able to put 6* mods on him/her will be those that whale out to 7* AND g12.

It's really not that difficult to see the "keep the whales spending" MO going on here. It's present in the top-heavy HSith reward structure and the direct manipulation of the fleet meta with Ships 2.0.

Same...stuff, different game aspect.

This game was very f2p-friendly - and, too be fair, still is. Just not as "friendly" as it once was. And it continues to become less so with every "update".
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Options
    JacenRoe wrote: »
    The devs can do whatever they want. But the way they have things set up now I have no interest in 6 dot mods. The modulators to upgrade them can't be farmed by any other means than guild currency, which is the only thing that keeps the gear grind anywhere near manageable. To get 6 dot mods for just one team of characters is 90,000 guild currency.

And if I'm going to sacrifice an absurd amount of gear to get a mod increase I want the mod to actually be better. The bump in stats is not worth losing the versatility of being able to use it on whomever I want. So I see absolutely no need to have any at the moment. They have put too high a price on them accompanied by a giant downside. So I will simply not use them.

This is largely my feeling. When I have so many B &C team toons I need to gear for tb & tw it doesn't make sense to divert guild currency away from gear to bring 5 arena toons mods to 6E, especially when odds are the meta will have shifted by the time I complete the 6E upgrades.
  • Options

So you mean after we farm the toon, we farm mods for them then we gear them to G12 an then we farm these mods to 6 dot and then we go onto the next one, So 2 per month? You think you can do 2 in a month? Do we get enough credits? gear drops? mod drops?. The maths is way out on this.The only way to keep up with the new toons that come out is to avoid mod farming altogether and avoid buying from Guild store cause Its too much for too little and gear is the most important.
  • Options
    The way I look at it, it's worth a full upgrade on mods for key toons. For example, on my FO squad, I have fox's mods all levelled to 6e..... He is the hammer that does all of the damage, donuts worth it to me..... The other four squad members all have great mods, but I want those mods to be able to be used elsewhere....

• Options

It came in the same update as loadouts, which are quite obviously set up for mod switching, which is a real necessity in this game.
  • Phoenixeon
    1842 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I thought about this, and honestly I cannot be more thankful for the restriction.

6 star mods should be the killing mod, the ace card, the very best thing that shines through when both you and your enemies’ squad are equivalently strong that the 6E mods just give you that slight upperhand/ advantage.

Without the restriction on g12, you will start seeing low level whales with level 50 toons at g7 running 6 6E mods and destroying everyone in the arena. By keeping it strictly g12, it minimizes the impact on the general gameplay ecosystem while allowing end game players and whales have something to pursuit after.

Um... People have already answered this by lowering the restriction to g11 only. Also if they were true whales, they would be at g12 7* and they can buy 40 of those 6* slicing mats twice a week, so I think you meant that the restrictions are worse.

Ppl still complaining if the restriction lowered to G11...

"i have to move my best mod to a G7 toon to pass xxxxxxxxx event now I just cant"
  • shb
    49 posts Member
    Options
    Phoenixeon wrote: »

Ppl still complaining if the restriction lowered to G11...

"i have to move my best mod to a G7 toon to pass xxxxxxxxx event now I just cant"

fewer.