Player Courtesy

Prev13
Anraeth
536 posts Member
Something that has been bother me lately has been the increase of players who randomly attack others on the arena ladder during their local pay out time. While I understand there are no rules but it is no different than holding the door for the old lady coming in. When you've played long enough fighting the same players every day you learn everyone's pay out time, or active period. I personally leave other players payout time alone. I considered the possibility of just a random players doing his/her daily arena quest. I'm curious to hear other's insight of this and is it happening more often on your server?

Replies

• Options
    Not sure what your complaint is, people have the right to play their arena team when ever they wish. I can honestly say I don't keep track of when people on my server are playing in the arena and most only choose to play their arena teams around there payout times. If your losing spots around your payout then might I suggest to finish your last turn just moments before the end. Why should anyone consider if someone else in the arena is online or not, there is not a way to defend anyway. Crystals are at the heart of this game, how can you knock someone from tring to get as many as they can? Also, there is no way for you to know when a players payout time is or is not, how can someone presume that someone is doing something out of spite, unlike old MMOs there is not a way to "corpse camp" here.
  • Options
    Umm, it's a game. :#
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • Options
    I have just gotten used to it. I normally can't play during the hour before my payout time so it is just a vicious cycle. I battle my way up to 11th or 12th... And either hit a wall or use up my free attempts. I come back to check my payout and have been knocked back into the 20's. One of these days I'm going to pay for some extra battles and see if I can climb into the top 10.
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    Options
    Umm.. Most people sniping at 5 to 10 minutes to the hour are approaching their payout time. Holding 1st for very long is next to impossible so to do that an hour or more before your payout is crazy and most won't do it. So by default of the sniping game what you request is already being done.
  • godgiven45
    1093 posts Member
    Options
    Isn't everyones payout time 6pm eastern?
  • Anraeth
    536 posts Member
    Options
    Not sure what your complaint is, people have the right to play their arena team when ever they wish. I can honestly say I don't keep track of when people on my server are playing in the arena and most only choose to play their arena teams around there payout times. If your losing spots around your payout then might I suggest to finish your last turn just moments before the end. Why should anyone consider if someone else in the arena is online or not, there is not a way to defend anyway. Crystals are at the heart of this game, how can you knock someone from tring to get as many as they can? Also, there is no way for you to know when a players payout time is or is not, how can someone presume that someone is doing something out of spite, unlike old MMOs there is not a way to "corpse camp" here.

I appreciate you taking the time to reply. Your right, you can't be 100% certain of a players pay out time without indeed asking. You can only take the average of a player being most active over 3 months during this time frame to conclude he is PST/EST/whatever. My observation not a complaint ,is I see a trend of what appears to be players from other time zones, deviating from the norm over the previous months to knock a player out. I could be completly wrong but it's becoming more common hence my thread for some insight.
  • Ring
    559 posts Member
    Options
    godgiven45 wrote: »
    Isn't everyones payout time 6pm eastern?

Everyone's payout is their LOCAL 6pm.
  • Options
    Arena is not so much a "quest" as a PVP aspect of the game... So it's kind of like "anything goes".
    The best thing you can do is defend your time and watch and learn the habits of the regulars and play your own game.

.. And if that fails beat them into submission. :D

I have a great server, we respect each other and it's a lot of fun. :)
  • Options
    Getting bumped by an ally though, and we're clearly on the same payout time... :(
    It prides me to say I did NOT attack him back. Instead we both finished on a successful snipe.
    Then again, there's no solid way of verifying who attacked you, maybe some guy is just refreshing the small timer four times in a row to finish his daily battles in 15 minutes. Who knows.
    Proud and Belgian officer of [DTA] BIER DTA | official Lando Calrissian fanboy KappaPride
  • Ouchie
    1233 posts Member
    Options
    I fight when I can. I don't watch payout times for me, much less anyone else.
  • Options
    Courtesy would be nice, it's an unspoken rule I think in most servers. Doesn't take too long to know when certain players payout times are. I definitely agree even though it's not a rule, that it should be common courtesy. Imo

Also when it's 10 mins before payout and someone has you in battle for the entire time, that is also an a$$hat move.
  • Options
    BentWookie wrote: »
    Arena is not so much a "quest" as a PVP aspect of the game... So it's kind of like "anything goes".
    The best thing you can do is defend your time and watch and learn the habits of the regulars and play your own game.

That's my kind of server. :)
    Also, @BentWookie , did you recently receive Mod status? I never noticed before. :tongue: If so, congrats.
    Proud and Belgian officer of [DTA] BIER DTA | official Lando Calrissian fanboy KappaPride
  • Options

That sounds great, I'm on a great server as well. 99% of the time, I have no issues.
  • Arijit
    510 posts Member
    Options
    I tried not to engage with players after my payout even if I have extra battles left. But recently others have started to fight me during my one hour climb before payout, and I know that their payout time is later. I just fight back, I do not consider my loss of crystals, as they void my battle I void theirs by defeating them. Keep doing that and players will start avoiding/respecting you.
  • Options

That's my kind of server. :)
    Also, @BentWookie , did you recently receive Mod status? I never noticed before. :tongue: If so, congrats.

What?
    <looks up>
    No.. Nooooooooo! Apparently the vaccine did not work! :'(

:D

Thanks, I appreciate it.

• Anraeth
    536 posts Member
    Options
    Arijit wrote: »
    I tried not to engage with players after my payout even if I have extra battles left. But recently others have started to fight me during my one hour climb before payout, and I know that their payout time is later. I just fight back, I do not consider my loss of crystals, as they void my battle I void theirs by defeating them. Keep doing that and players will start avoiding/respecting you.

This is exactly what I'm referring to. While I still finished first, it took some ups and downs the ladder of players who pay out time is later. It used to be a respectful place now it's becoming more of a trend.
  • reizse
    1447 posts Member
    Options
    i've gotten locked out for the last 10 minutes before payout before and so have others in my local payout time. it's so annoying and obviously done to hold rank....wish an ELO system would be adopted already....
    mighty chlorians
  • Options

This is exactly what I'm referring to. While I still finished first, it took some ups and downs the ladder of players who pay out time is later. It used to be a respectful place now it's becoming more of a trend.
    [/quote]

Are we on the same board?
    Other top tens
    Juice
    Mad dog
    Lawnorder
    Chazy

If so, you must be talking about the couple new droid teams that popped up picking us out all day
  • Options
    Mine was respectful of each others payouts until the big update. Now teams that previously could not crack come in and just attack to try and get 1 as much as possible. annoying yes, but it is what it is. I know most on mines payout times, those who decide not to stay out of my payout who are not in it, I simply take them out at theirs. I was busy at 6pm est today so got stuck at 3 since I did not fight. I did however get on in time to snipe the #1 from the PST payout, since they decided the other day it would be fun to attack me during mine.

Like the wookie said. If they don't want to be respectful, beat them into submission. I do 20 a day, If I need to do them more from my payout through PST payout to train my shardmates to leave me be or deal with me in their payout times, so be it. All part of the game. Previously I'd fight til my payout at 6pm est then not fight again until after 9pm to be respectful.
  • Anraeth
    536 posts Member
    Options
    Gungnir75 wrote: »

Are we on the same board?
    Other top tens
    Juice
    Mad dog
    Lawnorder
    Chazy

If so, you must be talking about the couple new droid teams that popped up picking us out all day[/quote]

No, my server norms are Rand, Mirinbrah, Yadnus.
  • Anraeth
    536 posts Member
    Options
    Mine was respectful of each others payouts until the big update. Now teams that previously could not crack come in and just attack to try and get 1 as much as possible. annoying yes, but it is what it is. I know most on mines payout times, those who decide not to stay out of my payout who are not in it, I simply take them out at theirs. I was busy at 6pm est today so got stuck at 3 since I did not fight. I did however get on in time to snipe the #1 from the PST payout, since they decided the other day it would be fun to attack me during mine.

Like the wookie said. If they don't want to be respectful, beat them into submission. I do 20 a day, If I need to do them more from my payout through PST payout to train my shardmates to leave me be or deal with me in their payout times, so be it. All part of the game. Previously I'd fight til my payout at 6pm est then not fight again until after 9pm to be respectful.

Very insightful, I may just start doing that.
  • Options
    Was hopefull to find a board mate.
    hope it works out for ya though, drives me nuts
  • Options
    One could argue, hypothetically of course, that it could potentially be beneficial to mess with other players during their payout time. In the event that this game ever undergoes a complete flip on its head, and all players are assigned the exact same payout (Which is HIGHLY UNLIKELY), it would behoove you to hamper all other players. What is probably more likely is that players are either:
    - Bored (Who doesn't love to play their characters?)
    - Forgetful (I've started a fight at :55 not my payout from 2 to 1, and only looked at the clock time when there was 1 enemy left)
    - Spiteful (maybe that person did this to you?)
    Or some combination of the above reasons. Hanlon's razor is awesome. I'd apply it here tbh.

I personally think that my server has learned (through weeks of conditioning) that I like to sit at a very particular rank for 90% of the day, and that at 6 PM EST I am *going* to lock first place out if I can. Until then, I try to be friendly. Because life is far too short to be angry.
  • ChefHaze
    628 posts Member
    Options
    This guy wants to play sarcastaball!
  • Lianara
    740 posts Member
    Options
    I only have 5 attempts per day. If I didn't use them up by payout time (I often have 1 or 2 left, as I often can't play last hour before payout), I may use them later before midnight, generally as a test to try to go against a team I haven't tried to before - if I see an interesting squad. I have no other opportunities to do it, as after reset I may need all 5 of my attempts to get some decent rank. If we had a training arena where we could pick our opponents to try things out, then it wouldn't be necessary.
    Also, talking about 100-200 rank group, if I got payout after 3 tries, because I had no way to do last 2, I may need remaining 2 to climb higher after the payout, then use new 5 after reset. Not everyone can play arena in the prescribed hour.
    I wish the setup wasn't this unfair, but it is what it is.
    Ally Code: 253-747-318
  • Options
    Highest rank achieved for the day would be nice.
    A dream that will not happen. But nice
  • Options
    Gungnir75 wrote: »
    Highest rank achieved for the day would be nice.
    A dream that will not happen. But nice

No, only because everyone would have rank 1, literally almost everyone
  • Hangfire
    497 posts Member
    Options
    Boy, I thought I spent too much time playing this game.
  • Tritium
    45 posts Member
    Options
    The players on my server who have been in the top 20 for the past few months are generally courteous of each other's payout periods and refrain from fighting during those times. What I've noticed recently is that the new players who are entering the top 20 are the ones who will knock you down the ladder during your payout period when they have already completed their payout period. There's this one guy in my server who has an under-starred and under-geared team that likes to snipe people throughout the day by taking advantage of RG and the lame AI defense. I just counteract by immediately taking back my spot from him when he knocks me down. This whole "respect" game doesn't really bother me, until someone forces me to use a refresh by fighting me after their payout period.
  • Breetai
    858 posts Member
    Options
    There is no courtesy when it comes to PvP.

With that said. I pretty much wait till 1 hour before payout to start jumping, unless I dropped over 20 spots, then I'll start earlier ( sorry central and mounting time ), but stop once I make the top 10. I have only 2 other people ( now, the other 3 I think where banned for Vader exploit ) to contend with for my payouts so lowest I ever finish is 3rd.

There is one person on my bracket that does his hardest to stay 1st. Funny thing is, he is in my payout. I know this because before he got the big head and wanted to win at all times, he only jumped at my pay outs. Well I learned I didn't drop as much during the day finishing 2nd so that's where I would end for last couple weeks. He started winning 1st because I no longer went for it. That's when he started trying to always hold 1st. So now I no longer let him win and have once again started finishing 1st.