Grand Arena Megathread

Replies

• I love this idea. I think maby make it so you can also choose an aponent using their ally code. I would also like to see from the old rebublic vandar tokare, getting him a similar way as hermit yoda, maybe a currency you get from this new event😉??? Also a legendary vitiate event, maybe old rebublic faction charctars, a bane legendary event, if you know his story it would make sense for it to five Sith 😏😉??? And a Malgus maybe just as a charctar you get from a shipment or various battles? There are so many characters I want but these are my top four charctars. Another idea for an April fools give everyone the palpatine mace windu fought, name it the senate, and let everyone have it for just a day and have its stats absolutely insane. Just ideas I’ve had over playing the game for a year out of the three it’s been around😕☹️😢😭.
  • @CG_SBCrumb First off, I love the concept here and think this will be a really great addition to the game if implemented properly. I do have a few concerns that I want to flag for you though, along with what I hope are some useful suggestions on how to combat those issues both from the perspective of higher and lower tier gp where applicable.

GP Matching: I'm a 4.2 million GP player and have a FTP account that is around level 82. Obviously my high GP account should be matched up somewhere around that area. One area of concern though is what I see when playing TW with my FTP account. Most of the members of that guild are FTP but we also have some whales. What ends up happening is that we get paired up with other guilds who have roughly the same GP but who get there by having more players at a similar GP. At the level that guild is at, we can basically put one or two g12 squads in the front and never have to worry about the other guild getting a single TW offensive point. That would make for a pretty yucky player experience if I were on the other side. My suggestion here is that, at least for the first GA event, that you match people up according to similar GP but also account somehow for big swings in GP for top characters. Maybe something like Total GP sorted by Top 10 Toon Average GP (for players < 1 million gp).

Individual Matches: I like the concept here which feels like a compromise between a true "top-of-the-round" tournament and the reality that not everyone (or anyone) really wants to sink more time into the game. A true winner for a round of 8 would involve a double elimination bracket system that would be a week-long event or longer. Please don't do that! I assume you will be doing something along the lines of: Round 1 (random); Round 2 (winners vs. winners random and losers vs. losers random); Round 3 (double winner vs. double winner = #1 & #2); (single winners vs. singer winners random #3 - #6); and (double loser vs. double loser = #7 & #8). If that is correct, on a single event rotation it isn't exactly fair since I could really be the second best player but if I get paired with the true top player in round 1 or 2 I can't finish in 2nd. I don't really have a suggestion on how to fix this on the first GA Event but perhaps there could be some weighting in the subsequent events based on prior placements. The other issue is how you deal with the scoring in order to pick the winner...

Scoring: This topic is the most concerning to me, especially since I have lived/suffered through tournaments. As stated in the announcement, scoring will be based on offensive wins AND defensive wins. That feels nice but can easily lead to collusion. Here's an example. I get matched up with 7 random people in GA 1 but one of the people happens to be in my guild or a friendly guild (or even in a guild that I hate). Let's say in Round 1 I get my friend/friendly person. We can easily agree with one another that we will play the first two rounds of the event straight up and whoever is winning at that point takes the win AND that the other player will send their entire roster against the third team to help inflate the winner's score. Alternatively, if I am going against my guild enemy, I could just refuse to attack to prevent him from getting defensive points or, depending on how scoring is set, even declining to set a defense so he can't get offensive points. My suggested solution is this: (1) the players should not know the identity of anyone else in the round of 8 until the results are in. This means that the player's name is blank and there is no mechanism to chat with the players in game during the GA Event. (2) the players should not know where they are ranked in the GA Event until the results are in. This would encourage people to fight every single round as hard as they can and hopefully reduce the incentive to collude or throw matches.

I hope these suggestions are received in the spirit they are written--i.e. from someone who is very much looking forward to playing this game mode, even if all it will do is confirm that @Maraxus is the top player in the galaxy.

• Kokie
    1338 posts Member
    People on here who seem to think that whales will have an advantage in the new arena I say bologna, the nature of a whale is to max every toon hoping that they all become relevant at some point in time whereas a ftp player has to make hard choices as to what they want and need. Now if I who spends carefully on this game went up against a full blown whale of the same gp I am fully confident I would win because all the key toons I need to win I have. The whale may or may not because he she bought every toon as it came out rather it is relevant or not. My roster is lean and mean the typical whale is not so the whole argument whales have the advantage is nonsense
  • Klocko wrote: »
    Not looking forward to Grand Arena in the least. I barely manage to get 2 arena battles in per day now. Sad to see it go and I've been playing since launch day, but if rewards are substantial, this may be my exit from the game.

Edit: with a 24 window to do stuff, maybe not.

I agree with all of this...including the edit.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Kokie wrote: »
    People on here who seem to think that whales will have an advantage in the new arena I say bologna, the nature of a whale is to max every toon hoping that they all become relevant at some point in time whereas a ftp player has to make hard choices as to what they want and need. Now if I who spends carefully on this game went up against a full blown whale of the same gp I am fully confident I would win because all the key toons I need to win I have. The whale may or may not because he she bought every toon as it came out rather it is relevant or not. My roster is lean and mean the typical whale is not so the whole argument whales have the advantage is nonsense

I completely agree. Those I face in arena that have the maxed out revan or traya team and are hard to beat also have much higher gp than I do. And tgat is expected since they spend money.

But I'm confident as a ftp player with a decent roster, I can compete fine with a whale with similar gp. Even if they have Revan or Traya. I'll have both soon enough. A couple of months for traya unlock and I will be ready when revan comes back. Only 55 more mission shards and I'll be ready.

But I can already beat traya teams tgat aren't particularly well moddef and I'm finding out revan is the same way. There are several teams that are making it into the top 50 in our shard now with players that apparently can win on offense enough with horrible mods because they have revan. Not sure if people are just afraid to attack them or what but with their bad mods, their revan teams are easily beatable.

I'm sure some days will be better than others but ftp should be able to compete with whales of similar gp and be competitive.
  • Sounds great! ,
    Get good and get a Revan. Ryanwhales
  • Pass. Hard pass.
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    Honestly the best part about this announcement is the first reply it got. Like, nothing will beat that :D.

But seriously, you take TW, one of the most hated aspects about this game because of the terrible matchmaking systems and how its all about mods, and make us all do more of it. lol. GP means nothing. Same GP people but someone who focused more on gear instead of stars will win 100% of the time, who has better mods, 100% of the time.

If your focus has been not gearing but starring, you will never win this. This is the problem with basing matches on GP.

What the white knights don't seem to realise is that we want this game to succeed and get better for everyone, more so then you. Being blind to flaws is not something we do. The match making system should be based on average speeds of characters and gear levels, as well as characters unlocked (such as Revan/Traya) and have nothing to do with GP. This TW is looking like it will be just like guild TW, where you know right from the start if winning is even possible. There are people in my shard for example who have 900k GP, with Traya unlocked with 3 zeta's on her. How is another 900k gp person going to do against that? 900k gp you have like one maybe 2 good squads.
  • This just sounds like a terrible time sink and another aspect to push you into hours of mod management rather than actually having fun collecting heroes or playing... not a fan so far...

Let’s just hope they don’t use the TW matchmaking system...
  • Ultra
    11423 posts Moderator
    Kithryn wrote: »
    dcbfan wrote: »
    Seems like you just took area and TW and mixed them together. Dont really care for either game mode. Now we have combo of these 2. That makes 3 modes I really could care less about. The algorithm for TW sucks and wont expect anything other for this new mode. Not really excited about this road ahead. Wont stop me playing but could care less. Plus why compete, just join let others beat you. You still win by get rewards.

They are working on that:
    CG_SBCrumb wrote: »
    FolsomTony wrote: »
    I hope the player matching algorithm is better than the guild TW algorithm.
    We have been working on this exact issue. It will be very important for matchmaker to feel even and fair for this mode.
    Also TW's algorithm is being reexamined as well.

• Sounds like Tournaments all over again. Not excited at all. What's the word for opposite of excited?

And what's going to be the tie breaker factor in case of a draw? Both lose as in the case with TW previously? Highly probable for advanced rosters to both clear opponent's defenses perfectly and result in a loss for both.
  • Sounds good really cant understand the negative coments. But this is the internet after all

Maybe it's because CG is creating a new game play mode that rewards people for not upgrading a majority of the toons on their roster to keep their GP lowers so they can fight easier opponents. Someone who has spent time 7*ing all their toons to fill TW platoons is at a serious disadvantage against sometime who never farmed those worthless toon.

Just wait and you'll see a majority of the player base strip mods from their low level toons and they'll stop farming/upgrading new toons, unless they are planning to 7*/g12 them and use them in a team.

After all the mess over Zombie and CG insisting that they wanted to have a game that rewards players for upgrading all their toons, this new arena does exactly the opposite. It rewards people who have had a very narrow focus and only farmed/upgraded the best teams over someone who is a completist and farmed all toons to 7*.
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Sounds good really cant understand the negative coments. But this is the internet after all

Maybe it's because CG is creating a new game play mode that rewards people for not upgrading a majority of the toons on their roster to keep their GP lowers so they can fight easier opponents. Someone who has spent time 7*ing all their toons to fill TW platoons is at a serious disadvantage against sometime who never farmed those worthless toon.

Just wait and you'll see a majority of the player base strip mods from their low level toons and they'll stop farming/upgrading new toons, unless they are planning to 7*/g12 them and use them in a team.

After all the mess over Zombie and CG insisting that they wanted to have a game that rewards players for upgrading all their toons, this new arena does exactly the opposite. It rewards people who have had a very narrow focus and only farmed/upgraded the best teams over someone who is a completist and farmed all toons to 7*.

Yup
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Ultra wrote: »
    Seems like you just took area and TW and mixed them together. Dont really care for either game mode. Now we have combo of these 2. That makes 3 modes I really could care less about. The algorithm for TW sucks and wont expect anything other for this new mode. Not really excited about this road ahead. Wont stop me playing but could care less. Plus why compete, just join let others beat you. You still win by get rewards.

We have been working on this exact issue. It will be very important for matchmaker to feel even and fair for this mode.

Unless they make match ups done by other then GP, maybe. As long as it is done by GP it will never be fair. I have 1.5gp but dont have a traya or revan team. I now people with less gp that have those toons. I would never win against a 900k gp player with traya as nothing can beat traya except revan. Sorry but must be based much more factors then just gp. Toons unlocked, zetas, gear levels, etc.

Find out in 2 months we will
  • Grand Arena will just be about “who has the best mods”.

Fix mods and yes, Grand Arena might be decent w/o it always being about speed, speed, moooarrr speed.

No joke. This is why I’ve gotten into ships more recently. Secondary mods are irrelevant.

Amen brother. Amen.

• Ultra
    11423 posts Moderator

Unless they make match ups done by other then GP, maybe. As long as it is done by GP it will never be fair. I have 1.5gp but dont have a traya or revan team. I now people with less gp that have those toons. I would never win against a 900k gp player with traya as nothing can beat traya except revan. Sorry but must be based much more factors then just gp. Toons unlocked, zetas, gear levels, etc.
    I'm sure there are other factors. Can't say without knowing the algorithm but they did say:

1. You won't face the same person twice
    2. Next person you face will have a similar win/loss like you do (so if you face a Revan team, next person likely won't have him)

I agree, just basing on GP isn't good enough. Its too early to be critical without trying, and I hope they factor in other factors such as total zetas, and stuff.

You still November and part of December to work towards beating Traya, and Revan. There are some good F2P counters to Traya. Sucks about Revan, there is the Qi'Ra lead trick but at your GP that shouldn't be your focus or priority, and its out of your reach. The community might be able to do something about it, or the Grand Arena might have Character bonuses like TW to counter Revan. Again, its too early to say.
  • neogeohunter
    112 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    What a crappy new game mode! ...we expected an 1on1 Arena-Mode where we can challenge any player in real-time... and now we get whale TW 2.0. This road ahead is a shame! ...Devs should try to think out of the box and stop feeding us with crappy recyled content!!!
  • @CG_SBCrumb I'm glad to see you are commenting on a brand new post. How about you move over to your checkup on the Sith raid that has been around and you haven't even come back to re-visit!
  • Amoliski wrote: »
    People who dislike this are people who are annoyed with a game mode that is two days of work (and coordinating fifty people for officers) to reach a decision that is decided 0.2 seconds after the join phase ends and the matchmaker kicks in. You are matched with a guild that you will either walk all over or get absolutely destroyed by with absolutely no chance of winning. I think there's been maybe one or two actually close TWs since we started.

I'm sure the devs are working really hard on it, and I'm sure people will have fun with it, but I'm not very excited to see my absolutely least favorite part of the game get a sequel.

Not true, I don't coordinate anything for my guild. I participate in it because I have too, but I have never enjoyed playing it.

• Acymetric wrote: »
    JaggedJ wrote: »
    Cool concept for those who are interested.

Aslong as there's an option to auto set or just ignore it completely I'm fine with it. I barely do my two battles a day to finish my daily activities. Can't imagine this is going to draw me in.

Can I ask what part of the game you actually play/enjoy?

I enjoy the first two raids, territory battles, ship arena, galactic war.

• On the topic of GP balance whining it might make sense to only use toon GP not ship GP unless ships are a major component.
  • I've got a bad feeling about this
  • dcbfan wrote: »

Unless they make match ups done by other then GP, maybe. As long as it is done by GP it will never be fair. I have 1.5gp but dont have a traya or revan team. I now people with less gp that have those toons. I would never win against a 900k gp player with traya as nothing can beat traya except revan. Sorry but must be based much more factors then just gp. Toons unlocked, zetas, gear levels, etc. Not to mention ships count on your gp. This is just very bad idea. I could except this if they got rid of the other 2 in favor of this combo event.

This is false. I have beat both traya and revan teams in arena and have neither. Like any team how well they are modded matters as well as the gear level of the team.
  • Kokie wrote: »

you must be confusing whales with dolphins. We have two whales in our guild. Yes you are correct the don't discriminate which toons they get. They both have every toon 7 starred g12. I will repeat every character 7stars and gear 12. They do discriminate in mods. probably on 75 of each have god mods. It is nothing you can compete with.
  • The Main idea behind it is a good one.

But this is just to time consuming. The matchmakings have to be really good, so the players keep having fun.

TW already is no fun and boring cos the matchmaker is not working nice.

Furthermore pvp is won by Mods for at least 75 %. Of course some teams have to be used to beat others, but a player with brilliant mods will win most of the time. So the huge disadvantage through mods can take away the fun.

Should rework the fleet arena first. Cos everything pvp based (arena, TW, fleet arena) is the most boring and stupid thing in the game....