Star Wars Resistance

Prev1
is this the worst show ever, or just close. I'm 3 eps in and.......ummmmm, ugh

Replies

  • I am so dissatisfied with the show. It is not even a kid show. It’s garbage. A bumbling X-Wing Pilot who acts like child out of the cockpit and shows not one iota of ability as a soldier. Oh and pod racing.. keep it.
  • Actually no, not even close. It's a critically praised series that is a great way to introduce kids into the Star Wars universe. It's got plenty of humor, great artwork and several appearances of characters from the new trilogy like Poe, BB8 and Phasma. Generally Star Wars fans are close-minded about what Star Wars should be and go into a frenzy when they deviate. People had the same reaction to Clone Wars and Rebels when they first started and they both became essential viewing for Star Wars fans. Will this show be essential viewing? Possibly, but probably not as it's meant for a much younger audience and isn't intended to have massive storylines that have vast implications in the overall Star Wars universe.
  • ThisYeezy wrote: »
    Actually no, not even close. It's a critically praised series that is a great way to introduce kids into the Star Wars universe. It's got plenty of humor, great artwork and several appearances of characters from the new trilogy like Poe, BB8 and Phasma. Generally Star Wars fans are close-minded about what Star Wars should be and go into a frenzy when they deviate. People had the same reaction to Clone Wars and Rebels when they first started and they both became essential viewing for Star Wars fans. Will this show be essential viewing? Possibly, but probably not as it's meant for a much younger audience and isn't intended to have massive storylines that have vast implications in the overall Star Wars universe.

    Star Wars is a great way to introduce kids to the Star Wars universe. While I agree with your sentiment about Star Wars fans here, it still doesn’t make this show any better... I’ll come back to it in a season or two, like I did with rebels. I hated the first half of Rebels season 1 too because of the repeating formula used for Ezra in every episode, where he was a whiny child who disagreed with and purposefully did the opposite of anything Kanan said, would learn a valuable lesson on why the thing was good, would reflect on thing learned, only to repeat the Ezra meta the next episode. Rebels caught its stride though, so I’ll wait.
  • ThisYeezy wrote: »
    Actually no, not even close. It's a critically praised series that is a great way to introduce kids into the Star Wars universe. It's got plenty of humor, great artwork and several appearances of characters from the new trilogy like Poe, BB8 and Phasma. Generally Star Wars fans are close-minded about what Star Wars should be and go into a frenzy when they deviate. People had the same reaction to Clone Wars and Rebels when they first started and they both became essential viewing for Star Wars fans. Will this show be essential viewing? Possibly, but probably not as it's meant for a much younger audience and isn't intended to have massive storylines that have vast implications in the overall Star Wars universe.

    This absolutely has implications for the greater Star Wars universe. This is now the canon version of the birth of the Resistance and the fledgling First Order. It starts out as Leia has broken off from the Republic. She does not even have Admiral Akbar’s support yet. She is lending Poe the Tantive IV as a mobile base. I was introduced to Star Wars in theaters in 1977. My kids were introduced to Star Wars on a 60” TV until the movies returned to the big screen. My oldest son watched it at 3 years old and sat wide eyed, jaw open, and quiet for 2 hours. All 3 are huge fans now. We love Clone Wars. We love Rebels. We tolerate Ewoks and laugh at the Holiday Special. My kids agree, this new Resistance is horrible writing with paper thin character development, even for a cartoon.

    And now back giant space monkeys.
  • ThisYeezy wrote: »
    Actually no, not even close. It's a critically praised series that is a great way to introduce kids into the Star Wars universe. It's got plenty of humor, great artwork and several appearances of characters from the new trilogy like Poe, BB8 and Phasma. Generally Star Wars fans are close-minded about what Star Wars should be and go into a frenzy when they deviate. People had the same reaction to Clone Wars and Rebels when they first started and they both became essential viewing for Star Wars fans. Will this show be essential viewing? Possibly, but probably not as it's meant for a much younger audience and isn't intended to have massive storylines that have vast implications in the overall Star Wars universe.

    This absolutely has implications for the greater Star Wars universe. This is now the canon version of the birth of the Resistance and the fledgling First Order. It starts out as Leia has broken off from the Republic. She does not even have Admiral Akbar’s support yet. She is lending Poe the Tantive IV as a mobile base. I was introduced to Star Wars in theaters in 1977. My kids were introduced to Star Wars on a 60” TV until the movies returned to the big screen. My oldest son watched it at 3 years old and sat wide eyed, jaw open, and quiet for 2 hours. All 3 are huge fans now. We love Clone Wars. We love Rebels. We tolerate Ewoks and laugh at the Holiday Special. My kids agree, this new Resistance is horrible writing with paper thin character development, even for a cartoon.

    And now back giant space monkeys.

    Do you really believe that every three year old is ready to see Ben Kenobi cutting off Ponda Baba's arm cut off, Luke's adopted parent's burnt corpses, certain races treated like slaves and it being okay to kill certain people because their belief's are different than yours? There's a hell of a lot more than giant space monkeys going on in Star Wars movies. As soon as you find me a three year old that has the full understanding of what does and doesn't make for a good Star Wars story, let me know. This show is not for you as an adult, it's not for your older kids that have been introduced to everything Star Wars already, it's simply a soft introduction for the newest generation of hopeful Star Wars fans. We'll get our new Clone Wars series and The Mandalorian for us. In the meantime let children stay children for a little bit and enjoy the show.
  • ThisYeezy wrote: »
    ThisYeezy wrote: »
    Actually no, not even close. It's a critically praised series that is a great way to introduce kids into the Star Wars universe. It's got plenty of humor, great artwork and several appearances of characters from the new trilogy like Poe, BB8 and Phasma. Generally Star Wars fans are close-minded about what Star Wars should be and go into a frenzy when they deviate. People had the same reaction to Clone Wars and Rebels when they first started and they both became essential viewing for Star Wars fans. Will this show be essential viewing? Possibly, but probably not as it's meant for a much younger audience and isn't intended to have massive storylines that have vast implications in the overall Star Wars universe.

    This absolutely has implications for the greater Star Wars universe. This is now the canon version of the birth of the Resistance and the fledgling First Order. It starts out as Leia has broken off from the Republic. She does not even have Admiral Akbar’s support yet. She is lending Poe the Tantive IV as a mobile base. I was introduced to Star Wars in theaters in 1977. My kids were introduced to Star Wars on a 60” TV until the movies returned to the big screen. My oldest son watched it at 3 years old and sat wide eyed, jaw open, and quiet for 2 hours. All 3 are huge fans now. We love Clone Wars. We love Rebels. We tolerate Ewoks and laugh at the Holiday Special. My kids agree, this new Resistance is horrible writing with paper thin character development, even for a cartoon.

    And now back giant space monkeys.

    Do you really believe that every three year old is ready to see Ben Kenobi cutting off Ponda Baba's arm cut off, Luke's (..) .

    No, certainly not every three year old.
    Only the ones raised properly.

    Also, you dont have to fully understand a movie to enjoy it, thats not a valid criteria.
    Ive personally seen the Matrix like 10 times and I still find amazing hidden messages in it.

    I'm going to assume the first part was sarcasm. If not that is possibly the most asinine statement I've read on this forum.

    No idea what the the R rated Matrix has to do with a Y7 rated children's cartoon. The show simply has to appeal to young ones. Interesting action (racing colorful spaceships), funny characters (BB8, Bucket) a hero to root for (Kaz) and characters they'll recognize when they grow older (Phasma, Poe, Leia, Stormtroopers).

    I forgot to touch on the canon aspect earlier. The Aftermath series goes into great detail about the start of the First Order and the Bloodlines books also goes into detail about the start of the Resistance. Those are your canon introductions. What is being shown in Resistance is not some huge reveal that we had no idea was coming.
  • At age 4-5 I was watching returns of the jedi and phantom menaces. What this world is going for.
  • This topic deserves OT @Kyno

    I can't stand to even see it xD.
  • Well, no matter whether SW Resistance show is TLJ lvl terrible or not, it'll bring more Resistance characters to this game, and I'm glad at it cuz I'll be able to spare R2-D2 for other LS teams. Even with the famous, or infamous, Rose Tico in my roster, I don't have enough Resistance characters to form two pure Resistance team if I try to run CLS-R2D2-HanSolo_Chewie team for TW. I should separate GK from Jedi, and pair him with RJT instead.
  • Enerdrizer wrote: »
    At age 4-5 I was watching returns of the jedi and phantom menaces. What this world is going for.

    I know, right? It's like they don't understand that watching entertainment above your intended age target ensures that you don't end up being someone on a forum later on in life barely capable of forming a coherent sentence complaining about kids watching cartoons.
  • Well, no matter whether SW Resistance show is TLJ lvl terrible or not, it'll bring more Resistance characters to this game, and I'm glad at it cuz I'll be able to spare R2-D2 for other LS teams. Even with the famous, or infamous, Rose Tico in my roster, I don't have enough Resistance characters to form two pure Resistance team if I try to run CLS-R2D2-HanSolo_Chewie team for TW. I should separate GK from Jedi, and pair him with RJT instead.

    You'll most likely be in luck. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a whole Fireball Squadron Resistance sub faction introduced later on
  • I am not sure what to think but my little ones are not overly excited about the episodes other then the introduction of toons and possible back stories.

    I am interested in the story of Phasma and how they handle it.
  • I would be willing to give it a chance but the cel shading animation is jarring to me. The plots need a bit less oversimplification and the characters have to be allowed to grow.
    "Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen...mostly"
  • Boo
    3184 posts Member
    I cant get into this show - its just awful. The old Ewok carton is superior and that is saying something.
  • I have to agree, it's terrible. I'm 5 episodes in and calling it quits. It's like Scooby Doo adapted to Star Wars. It seems like Disney has decided to segment its viewer demographic a bit more, with this show aimed at the toy-buying ages 5-11, and the Mandalorian aimed at an older audience (I'm hoping, anyway). The Clone Wars targeted a much larger age demographic (some episodes were downright dark). It seems like Rebels narrowed that more to a younger audience, and Resistance has dropped the ages even further.

    Characters are uninteresting, locales are boring (limited to station, ocean, clouds, and space), plots are immediately forgettable, and I'm not a fan of the cel-shaded style as the icing on the cake. I can't see this one turning around to be a CWs or even Rebels season 3-4.
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • Boo
    3184 posts Member
    edited November 27
    ThisYeezy wrote: »
    ThisYeezy wrote: »
    ThisYeezy wrote: »
    Actually no, not even close. It's a critically praised series that is a great way to introduce kids into the Star Wars universe. It's got plenty of humor, great artwork and several appearances of characters from the new trilogy like Poe, BB8 and Phasma. Generally Star Wars fans are close-minded about what Star Wars should be and go into a frenzy when they deviate. People had the same reaction to Clone Wars and Rebels when they first started and they both became essential viewing for Star Wars fans. Will this show be essential viewing? Possibly, but probably not as it's meant for a much younger audience and isn't intended to have massive storylines that have vast implications in the overall Star Wars universe.

    This absolutely has implications for the greater Star Wars universe. This is now the canon version of the birth of the Resistance and the fledgling First Order. It starts out as Leia has broken off from the Republic. She does not even have Admiral Akbar’s support yet. She is lending Poe the Tantive IV as a mobile base. I was introduced to Star Wars in theaters in 1977. My kids were introduced to Star Wars on a 60” TV until the movies returned to the big screen. My oldest son watched it at 3 years old and sat wide eyed, jaw open, and quiet for 2 hours. All 3 are huge fans now. We love Clone Wars. We love Rebels. We tolerate Ewoks and laugh at the Holiday Special. My kids agree, this new Resistance is horrible writing with paper thin character development, even for a cartoon.

    And now back giant space monkeys.

    Do you really believe that every three year old is ready to see Ben Kenobi cutting off Ponda Baba's arm cut off, Luke's (..) .

    No, certainly not every three year old.
    Only the ones raised properly.

    Also, you dont have to fully understand a movie to enjoy it, thats not a valid criteria.
    Ive personally seen the Matrix like 10 times and I still find amazing hidden messages in it.

    I'm going to assume the first part was sarcasm. If not that is possibly the most asinine statement I've read on this forum.

    No idea what the the R rated Matrix has to do with a Y7 rated children's cartoon. The show simply has to appeal to young ones. Interesting action (racing colorful spaceships), funny characters (BB8, Bucket) a hero to root for (Kaz) and characters they'll recognize when they grow older (Phasma, Poe, Leia, Stormtroopers).

    I forgot to touch on the canon aspect earlier. The Aftermath series goes into great detail about the start of the First Order and the Bloodlines books also goes into detail about the start of the Resistance. Those are your canon introductions. What is being shown in Resistance is not some huge reveal that we had no idea was coming.

    Careful about calling other people's opinions and statements as asinine, just because you do not agree.

    I was watching the whole original trilogy as a small kid, since age of 2 years old and loved it!

    The only SW movie I would consider not appropriate for small children is ROTS.

    Having said that - this show is terrible. Introducing kids to the franchise via a terrible show is not a good way of doing things - sets them up on the wrong foot of what star wars is about. I've said before the old Ewok cartoons is better than this.

    What they should have done is come out with Legend stories as cartoons for kids - it would not be considered cannon and not upset a lot of die hard fans, while providing good stories/shows for the kids to watch.
  • The show doesn’t work because the entire premise that Disney took with Star Wars post Return of the Jedi doesn’t work. The New Republic would’ve made more sense. They killed the Empire. Coruscant should’ve been liberated. But it’s all part of their psychological warfare.
  • People need to calm down with the rhetoric. It's not the worst show ever. In fact it's actually pretty good. I just finished episode 6. It is definitely geared towards younger kids, but so was Clone Wars and Rebels at first. Then they got more mature.

    I can definitely see this show going that route as well with all the First Order stuff. This show actually makes them seem menacing, unlike Ep8.

    I would suggest you get through Season 1 and see how it goes from there. Rebels didn't get good until mid-Season 2 and CW wasn't great until Season 3.
    CLONE HELMETS!! Now let's get Sabine her epic helmet.
  • Clone Wars 2003 was my introduction to Star Wars, I was 4 when it originally came on and I absolutely loved it. It had the animation style of a kids show, but it was still Star Wars to the core, and it didn't shy away from showing the violence and horrors of a galaxy wide war when it needed to. It still managed to appeal to kids though while keeping its mature focus.
  • Boo
    3184 posts Member
    Roken_Fett wrote: »
    People need to calm down with the rhetoric. It's not the worst show ever. In fact it's actually pretty good. I just finished episode 6. It is definitely geared towards younger kids, but so was Clone Wars and Rebels at first. Then they got more mature.

    I can definitely see this show going that route as well with all the First Order stuff. This show actually makes them seem menacing, unlike Ep8.

    I would suggest you get through Season 1 and see how it goes from there. Rebels didn't get good until mid-Season 2 and CW wasn't great until Season 3.

    Clone Wars and Rebels never started this bad. This show IS terrible. But if you enjoy it, have fun.
  • Dk_rek
    1079 posts Member
    Boo wrote: »
    Roken_Fett wrote: »
    People need to calm down with the rhetoric. It's not the worst show ever. In fact it's actually pretty good. I just finished episode 6. It is definitely geared towards younger kids, but so was Clone Wars and Rebels at first. Then they got more mature.

    I can definitely see this show going that route as well with all the First Order stuff. This show actually makes them seem menacing, unlike Ep8.

    I would suggest you get through Season 1 and see how it goes from there. Rebels didn't get good until mid-Season 2 and CW wasn't great until Season 3.

    Clone Wars and Rebels never started this bad. This show IS terrible. But if you enjoy it, have fun.

    It's a brand new show with 90 percent of the characters unknown. What we do have is spys, smugglers, pirates and an underworld vibe... I AGREE the show is dragging a bit but they are now starting to develop some of the characters a little. And we got to see Guavian's :). The First Order is starting to show some teeth with the (no spoilers) deceptoin they are running.... and the leader of the racing planet now has a story that will probably be told..

    The way they are going They will still be developing main characters until halfway through season 2 but I do feel the show will pick up....

    The problem with the show is no one will be happy.... If they do underworld stuff people will cry no resistance FO stuff. If they do Resistance FO stuff they will cry there is no racing or cool ships...

    Personally with the amount of Underworld stuff going on I expect to see an aged Hondo Onaka becoming a quite popular fixture on this show.... my hopes anyway...

    But yeah 10 eps in and it's draging but for the love of blue milk...ya gotta give em a chance to at least develop characters no one has ever seen before
  • Maybe this show is trying to be like Star Trek DS9, but more comedic and Star Wars-y. I dunno.

    So far there's only been 1 interesting episode for me. It's almost a show about nothing, but the show has hammered in many times, it's a kid spy plot.

    Rebels didn't "wow" me, but it made me think of the possibilities, and potential cool episodes to be had. I am not getting anything from this show so far.

    Is it sad to say that LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures had me more interested during the 1st episode?

    THAT was a kid's show with an actual kid that screws up because he is a kid. It had newly introduced characters I was interested in. I could even overlook the slapstick comedy that was Lego-fied.
    Started mid-FEB 2017, and not trying to reach the top.

    GUILD: 416th Attack Battalion
  • I liked the first 3 episodes. Was there times I cringed at how stupid Kaz is? Certainly. But other parts are good and entertaining enough to compensate for me. Plus I have hopes that Kaz learns.
  • ^ You caught up yet? Ep 10 has aired recently.
    Started mid-FEB 2017, and not trying to reach the top.

    GUILD: 416th Attack Battalion
  • ^ You caught up yet? Ep 10 has aired recently.

    No I don't have cable. They put the first 3 for free on DisneyNow so I watched. I'll have to find a way to watch the rest.
  • Boo
    3184 posts Member
    Dk_rek wrote: »
    Boo wrote: »
    Roken_Fett wrote: »
    People need to calm down with the rhetoric. It's not the worst show ever. In fact it's actually pretty good. I just finished episode 6. It is definitely geared towards younger kids, but so was Clone Wars and Rebels at first. Then they got more mature.

    I can definitely see this show going that route as well with all the First Order stuff. This show actually makes them seem menacing, unlike Ep8.

    I would suggest you get through Season 1 and see how it goes from there. Rebels didn't get good until mid-Season 2 and CW wasn't great until Season 3.

    Clone Wars and Rebels never started this bad. This show IS terrible. But if you enjoy it, have fun.

    It's a brand new show with 90 percent of the characters unknown. What we do have is spys, smugglers, pirates and an underworld vibe... I AGREE the show is dragging a bit but they are now starting to develop some of the characters a little. And we got to see Guavian's :). The First Order is starting to show some teeth with the (no spoilers) deceptoin they are running.... and the leader of the racing planet now has a story that will probably be told..

    The way they are going They will still be developing main characters until halfway through season 2 but I do feel the show will pick up....

    The problem with the show is no one will be happy.... If they do underworld stuff people will cry no resistance FO stuff. If they do Resistance FO stuff they will cry there is no racing or cool ships...

    Personally with the amount of Underworld stuff going on I expect to see an aged Hondo Onaka becoming a quite popular fixture on this show.... my hopes anyway...

    But yeah 10 eps in and it's draging but for the love of blue milk...ya gotta give em a chance to at least develop characters no one has ever seen before

    Not my cup of tea - animation s horrible, voices and characters are bad/annoying, tries to be too funny, its just all round bad.
  • Didn't realize the extra episodes past 3 were on disney now Catching up now. I'm still liking this show. Sure its juvenile but its fun. I just love star wars universe stuff. Pilots/spies, whatever.
  • A bit of canon has peeked through now that Leia has admitted the culpability of the New Republic Senate in the coming war, so that was nice. Otherwise, this show is taking its sweet time not saying much about its world and the people in it (seems redundant at times). Even kids have limited patience, possibly less so than adults.

    I'm kind of hoping it does remain this juvenile. Anything more dramatic and it'll share the same fate as TRON Uprising and MotorCity, which I'm still mad at Disney cancelling.

    PS: Oscar Issac is killing it as Poe. His performance is some of the best voice acting I've heard in a cartoon this year.
  • Finally caught up and watched the latest episode:

    Still a pretty good show. Geared younger, but still pretty good. The FO actually seems menacing in it. I wonder how long until these toons enter this game. Not to give CG any ideas, but I assume they are coming. I want at red TIE Intercepter and the Red pilot guy. I'll also take the golden trooper, Pyre. Pretty sure that's his name.
    CLONE HELMETS!! Now let's get Sabine her epic helmet.
Sign In or Register to comment.