Did CG spell Brazil with an s?

Isn't Brazil spelled Brazil not Brasil.

Replies

• Locals spell it Brasil
  • Cg isn't local....
  • Guess trying to be one with the people!
  • As someone that actively dislikes American spell checkers trying to correct me on words like "realise", "organise" and "analyse" I can't decide if I prefer Brazil as Brasil or not.
  • As someone that actively dislikes American spell checkers trying to correct me on words like "realise", "organise" and "analyse" I can't decide if I prefer Brazil as Brasil or not.

I don't think it's a matter of preference i believe the actual spelling is Brazil not Brasil
  • icanectc
    328 posts Member
    edited November 21
    icanectc wrote: »
    As someone that actively dislikes American spell checkers trying to correct me on words like "realise", "organise" and "analyse" I can't decide if I prefer Brazil as Brasil or not.

I don't think it's a matter of preference i believe the actual spelling is Brazil not Brasil

In proper Portuguese it's with an s. In English it's a z.
  • ChristophIV
    1491 posts Member
    edited November 21
    That's not really the point I was trying to make. Though in Brazil (as we would spell it) I'm sure they would prefer that the spelling that is correct to them is used.
  • icanectc
    328 posts Member
    edited November 21
    That's not really the point I was trying to make. Though in Brazil (as we would spell it) I'm sure they would prefer that the spelling that is correct to them is used.

To your point i would concur using there determined spelling is the right course of action. And this dilemma(ill call it) allowed me to learn more about the spelling history of Brasil. Which is actually quite fascinating. It wasn't until around 1940s Brasil finally came to a conclusion on how to spell their countries name. However due to the long standing use of both spellings Brasil locally and Brazil in the rest of the English word settled on Brazil even after Brasil confirmed the spelling should be in the proper Portuguese syntax of Brasil.

Furthermore it looks like depending on your intent jn writing it can be deemed political in context when using Brazil over Brasil or vice versa.

Thanks cg for inticing me to learn about this!
  • "What's in a name..."