Enough being led by the nose...

Prev1
Am I the only one that feels like mostly all the new toons EA has released lately are needed for the next legendary? I've been playing since December 2015 and there were a ton of characters at the start that I had the choice to farm and gear up simply because I liked the character. I don't care at all about KOTOR, but I feel like EA is saying "better gear up and farm these new KOTOR toons to get this next upcoming character" that will be part of the meta. I just feel like there is little variety and option for long time players and I'm now forced to gear and farm characters that I don't care about.

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    As a long time player you have more options. Every meta has had an anti meta that is usually based in characters any vet should have farmed and possibly decently geared.

Yes if you chase the meta, you will need to follow the path, but no one is forcing anyone to chase the meta.
  • Options
    You're not wrong and kind of proving my point. Chasing the meta is following EA's path with little variety or option for players who have been around awhile. I want to continue being successful and have fun in this game but having EA dictate what I'm to focus on for their meta is too narrow and focused on KOTOR toons for my liking. There are lots of character I wish EA would have released, that's all I'm getting at
  • TVF
    36630 posts Member
    Options
    Kyno wrote: »
    As a long time player you have more options. Every meta has had an anti meta that is usually based in characters any vet should have farmed and possibly decently geared.

You have a point in general, but I have not had any success with the supposed anti-Revan metas I keep seeing people post about.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    Very true, I miss the times when I could focus farming on characters or synergies I liked playing with. The guided panic farming isn't enjoyable
  • Options
    Ive always been forced to farm.. Thrawn requirements, Cls requirements, bb8 requirements, jtr requirements, talzin/wicket...

Thats just how this game rolls, and I hate it too.
  • Options

Yes if you chase the meta, you will need to follow the path, but no one is forcing anyone to chase the meta.

You make a fair point... no one requires you specifically to chase the meta. However, if you are in a high level guild, what is stopping them from making an ultimatum requiring you to have revan? There is not a direct authority presiding over the game as a whole, but there are many indirect forces dominating the choices you will make as a player.
  • TVF
    36630 posts Member
    Options
    Georgemi6 wrote: »

You make a fair point... no one requires you specifically to chase the meta. However, if you are in a high level guild, what is stopping them from making an ultimatum requiring you to have revan? There is not a direct authority presiding over the game as a whole, but there are many indirect forces dominating the choices you will make as a player.

And you can make a choice to join a guild that doesn't force you to farm something.

We're "business casual" (stole that term from a podcast today) and on the casual side of our ledger, we'd never force anyone to farm a specific toon.
  • Options
    Ive always been forced to farm.. Thrawn requirements, Cls requirements, bb8 requirements, jtr requirements, talzin/wicket...

Thats just how this game rolls, and I hate it too.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but you always have the choice. No one forces you to get Thrawn, cls, or any other char you need a specific team for. But you're right that IF you want to get those legendaries, farming is the way to go, and I hate it as well.
  • Boov
    604 posts Member
    Options
    Only 10 "forced" farms for an entire year, its not that bad. That is IF these new KoToR toons will be required for a legendary/heroes journey event.
    In the meantime, gearing up ewoks seems to be the way to go.
  • Options
    Am I the only one that feels like mostly all the new toons EA has released lately are needed for the next legendary? I've been playing since December 2015 and there were a ton of characters at the start that I had the choice to farm and gear up simply because I liked the character. I don't care at all about KOTOR, but I feel like EA is saying "better gear up and farm these new KOTOR toons to get this next upcoming character" that will be part of the meta. I just feel like there is little variety and option for long time players and I'm now forced to gear and farm characters that I don't care about.

You have 6 posts, none mention rose tico, and here you are complaining about one of the most amazing stories in star wars lore, the battle on the star forge.
    Lets hold off on the game because of characters you don't care about, or just couldn't be bothered reading into, or playing the games, and made such a ridiculous opinion.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Georgemi6 wrote: »

I wouldn't put myself in a situation where anyone was telling me how to play a game, let alone how I should spend my money. But that's just my personal opinion.
  • Options
    I’m a relatively new player. And I love the game. But from my perspective this is an issue. I’m not ftp by any means but I’m also not a whale. (More a dolphin maybe?) But it does get frustrating farming for CLS knowing that JTR and Chewie are next while facing unbeatable teams who bought Revan.
  • Boov
    604 posts Member
    Options
    PeldorV wrote: »
    I’m a relatively new player. And I love the game. But from my perspective this is an issue. I’m not ftp by any means but I’m also not a whale. (More a dolphin maybe?) But it does get frustrating farming for CLS knowing that JTR and Chewie are next while facing unbeatable teams who bought Revan.

It seems to me you're better off farming for revan instead, leaving CLS, JTR and chewie for a time when you're not struggling in arena since none of those toons are really gonna help you much vs Revan.
    Or, even better but way more risky, try to farm for the next upcomming event that will dominate arena.
  • Roope_immortal
    114 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Boov wrote: »
    Only 10 "forced" farms for an entire year, its not that bad. That is IF these new KoToR toons will be required for a legendary/heroes journey event.

10 kotor + 5 bhs = 15 this year.
    +ht, and while you dont have revan, zbast also requires a gmy, ezra, gk..
    +the hstr teams
    50 characters this year? Fgs.
  • Boov
    604 posts Member
    Options

Nah, those have been farmable for ages. You can count Bossk if you want, but it could be done without him.
    It's also probably only 9 KoToR toons, revan could very well be a requirement himself (same as bb8 for JTR and R2 for CLS).
  • Ultra
    11530 posts Moderator
    Options

+ht, and while you dont have revan, zbast also requires a gmy, ezra, gk..
    +the hstr teams
    50 characters this year? Fgs.
    Resource Allocation game, not "get all at once the moment it is available" game.

You can focus on BH and/or KOTOR. You might be able to get them all or some of them. Its up to you how you prioritize

• PeldorV
    45 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    Options

PeldorV wrote: »

It seems to me you're better off farming for revan instead, leaving CLS, JTR and chewie for a time when you're not struggling in arena since none of those toons are really gonna help you much vs Revan.
    Or, even better but way more risky, try to farm for the next upcomming event that will dominate arena.

It’s a good idea but therein lies the rub: I’ve been farming for CLS since I started and am fairly close. If I switch to Revan, I *might* be ready by the next event, at which point Darth Revan will have dropped. And if it’s anything like the last one, there won’t be time to farm it without a big expense. So what I really need to is farm a counter to an unknown Darth Revan package. Thus my frustration.
  • Options
    6WFuvgq.png
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Options
    While it is true that you actually do have a choice and do NOT have to chase the new legendaries ...
    ... if you make that choice, your guild is going to get stomped in TW. If TW success is a driving force in your guild, your choice is chase the legendaries or lose.
  • Options
    I've been playing for almost 3 years now, and I've just gone after Characters I like. I don't care if I place in the top 50 for squad arena. I'm playing SWGOH for the guild events like raids and TW/TB. Meta chasing is for rich people. I'm satisified sitting in the top 100 of my shard, and playing the game for fun. EA/CG doesn't force you into anything.
  • Options
    mesa176750 wrote: »
    I've been playing for almost 3 years now, and I've just gone after Characters I like. I don't care if I place in the top 50 for squad arena. I'm playing SWGOH for the guild events like raids and TW/TB. Meta chasing is for rich people. I'm satisified sitting in the top 100 of my shard, and playing the game for fun. EA/CG doesn't force you into anything.

I am 100% with this person, and I do the same.
  • Options
    If you want to play more competitively, you will have to chase the more difficult characters. If you don't play competitively, you can do whatever. Unfortunately, I don't think there's a good midpoint between the two unless you spend like crazy and get everything.
  • TVF
    36630 posts Member
    Options
    While it is true that you actually do have a choice and do NOT have to chase the new legendaries ...
    ... if you make that choice, your guild is going to get stomped in TW. If TW success is a driving force in your guild, your choice is chase the legendaries or lose.

You're done for in TW if you don't have a 7* Chewbacca?
  • Boov
    604 posts Member
    Options
    TVF wrote: »

You're done for in TW if you don't have a 7* Chewbacca?

chasing legendaries =/= having 7* chewbacca
  • TVF
    36630 posts Member
    Options
    Chewbacca is a legendary.
  • Options

This is such a silly comment. That's like telling a football player : no one is forcing you to be good and try to win.

• Options
    So I'm in a relatively young Shard. But I've consistently made top 50 arena with:

Bastilla / GM yoda / Ezra / Old Ben & Aayla Secura

I see Revans, CLS's, Reys and the like. There were a few 7 star Bastilla Fallens, which correct me if i'm wrong, but would have cost more than Revan?

Yes GM Yoda is a legend, but he's a soft one.

I'm not going for a 'look at me how amazing i am post' but my point is my team felt relatively soft, but was doing well, I can only presume because i've got pretty good mods and I researched how to mod correctly.

It was frankly stunning to realise that someone was prepared to drop a fortune on a 7star bastilla fallen, but then mod her terribly. Obviously, not everyone has amazing speed mods, but knowing how potency works etc is as much of the puzzle as getting the legends.

Kudos for the mod overhaul for trying to make mods more accessible or atleast understandable for people who are not naturally interested in that part of the game.
    Keyboard Warrior on the side of the Moderates
    I play the game for fun, if you don't like content, don't like the game, then why are you here?
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options
    Ugnaught wrote: »

This is such a silly comment. That's like telling a football player : no one is forcing you to be good and try to win.

This isn’t a purely competitive game and it doesn’t have a singular goal. It has many aspects and different people enjoy different parts of it. Some people ignore characters if they didn’t like them in the movies (or wherever they appeared), some people focus on their pet favorite faction over everything else, and some people don’t even fight in arena because they don’t enjoy that aspect of the game.
  • Options
    Ugnaught wrote: »

For a football player, that's his job. If he doesn't win he may lose it.

Nobody is paying you to play a game on your phone - the opposite, actually. So if you're playing in a way that you don't enjoy, you have nobody to blame but yourself.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Options
    IgneoMorte wrote: »
    mesa176750 wrote: »

I am 100% with this person, and I do the same.

I Second this. And I dislike KOTOR as well. Looking forward to it not being active any longer and becomes a non factor just like the previous meta teams have become. I just wish there were more rock-paper-scissors scenarios for the arena.